Thread: Europa Barbarorum 2.08e is released!

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum 2.05a is released!

Quote Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
    I'll try but I had problems getting screenshots previously (running windows on a mac and the keyboards are a little different). For what it is worth the text formatting looked the same as it has in previous versions.
    Did it work properly in previous versions?

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

A casual observation of something I've been noticing, Its quite common for units to start fighting to the death instead of routing even without being completely surrounded and having at least one escape rote, I've seen it even in units that are engaged in one side only.
    It's an exe function which controls this behaviour, there's not much we can do about it since rout/when to rout is to due with the pathfinding/unit speed. When the calculations take place and the exe decides a unit won't be able to get away without sustaining a large amount of casualties the unit will regroup on the spot and fight until a real chance to retreat presents itself.

The feature is somewhat realistic in that sense.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

I never got to that specific screen in previous versions as I was having the same problem with the first mission not completing that others have reported. The good news is the first two missions went off without a hitch in 2.05a. What I meant by the text formatting looking the same is that it looked similar to other dialogue boxes that have worked successfully in the past. I'm back at the computer now so I will try and get a screen shot. I may also go back a few turns and see if it is repeatable.

Great job on 2.05a guys, the battles are smooth! I wanted to know if we could possibly give Chariots a charge boost, so going from 4 to maybe around 7 or 8 charge points. My logic is that it's 2 horses, a wagon, and a person which means it's weight is massive. To me Chariots in game don't seem to be of much use as they get killed off easily which is understandable but it'd be more realistic if that first charge was really a hit to the infantry. 4 points in charge doesn't seem to do much and leaves my chariots often dead. 8-10 charge points (It could be 8 for normal chariots and 10 for the ones with the blades on the end of them.) would be double the impact but not too over powering, making it so you have to manage your chariots more but know that once you charge with them they can take out a decent amount of infantry before they get caught up in the fight. It's just a thought, but great job on the updates, we're loving it can't wait for the Autumn release!

Quote Originally Posted by Mugen234 View Post
    Great job on 2.05a guys, the battles are smooth! I wanted to know if we could possibly give Chariots a charge boost, so going from 4 to maybe around 7 or 8 charge points. My logic is that it's 2 horses, a wagon, and a person which means it's weight is massive. To me Chariots in game don't seem to be of much use as they get killed off easily which is understandable but it'd be more realistic if that first charge was really a hit to the infantry. 4 points in charge doesn't seem to do much and leaves my chariots often dead. 8-10 charge points (It could be 8 for normal chariots and 10 for the ones with the blades on the end of them.) would be double the impact but not too over powering, making it so you have to manage your chariots more but know that once you charge with them they can take out a decent amount of infantry before they get caught up in the fight. It's just a thought, but great job on the updates, we're loving it can't wait for the Autumn release!
    Bear in mind the only charging chariot is the Hellenistic scythed one; the Gallic and Garamantes chariots are both light ones.

Hmm, can't remember whether the Indian one is heavy or light, now.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Bear in mind the only charging chariot is the Hellenistic scythed one; the Gallic and Garamantes chariots are both light ones.

Hmm, can't remember whether the Indian one is heavy or light, now.
    Ahh yes, true the Gallic and Garamantes were the ones I was looking at. They are light but compared to some light archer cavalry which have 11 charge points vs a light chariot Gallic with 4, that's where my confusion was..

Quote Originally Posted by Mugen234 View Post
    Ahh yes, true the Gallic and Garamantes were the ones I was looking at. They are light but compared to some light archer cavalry which have 11 charge points vs a light chariot Gallic with 4, that's where my confusion was..
    Even then there's a difference; the cavalryman can brace a weapon (if he has a spear - note the sword-armed ones don't have a high charge value) and maximise the use of his horse's momentum. Without a xyston or the like, you can't do that on a chariot - and you might lose your footing.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Even then there's a difference; the cavalryman can brace a weapon (if he has a spear - note the sword-armed ones don't have a high charge value) and maximise the use of his horse's momentum. Without a xyston or the like, you can't do that on a chariot - and you might lose your footing.
    Indeed, I never thought it of it like that. What about giving them a javelin range or power increase? I just want them to be of use lol. I say increase because I'm thinking if you have a chariot pulling you while throwing a javelin then your range or even power of the javelin would be high due to velocity and momentum added to your throw. Like if were on a motorcycle speeding and threw a newspaper vs if you were on a bicycle, the motorcycle's speed would carry the paper further and might increase the impact.

Here is the screenshot of the third request from the basileus:

Attachment 330967

Note that the scroll bar is at the bottom but the accept/reject buttons are not visible.

malato's Avatar Civis

Attachment 330967

Note that the scroll bar is at the bottom but the accept/reject buttons are not visible.
    I had the very same, besides pressing = wouldn't show any quest location

and i think my beloved king stopped asking me to paying "royalties" after i've suceeded the first or the second mission..yayyyy

Recommended faction / difficulty to test out 2.05a?

Quote Originally Posted by AdAstraPuA View Post
    Recommended faction / difficulty to test out 2.05a?
    I'd say Baktria or Hayasdan, those recieved biggest changes so they're in biggest need of playtesting, Hellenic nations and Carthage got some tweaks too. Difficulty...well, depends on you. If you're more casual player like me, M/M is enough.

I'd generally advice to play H/M - the diplomacy doesn't suffer as it did in RTW/EB I, the stack spam isn't increasing (from my expereinces, that is) at H/M and EB II is after all meant to be balanced for H/M.
    The AI won't hire mercenaries at M therefore rendering your campaign tests a bit useless (since it makes a huge difference if for example the AS hires mercenaries or not), the rebel AI won't attack playerheld settlements on M etc.

In EB I I sometimes played M/M just to get a bit of diplomacy from time to time. In EB II the diplomacy makes so much more sense that there is no point in playing M/M anymore.
    Last edited by Shadowwalker; October 08, 2015 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    I'd say Baktria or Hayasdan, those recieved biggest changes so they're in biggest need of playtesting, Hellenic nations and Carthage got some tweaks too. Difficulty...well, depends on you. If you're more casual player like me, M/M is enough.
    Or Pontos, given I've completely rewritten their factional government recruitment.

The only issue with Medium campaign difficulty is that the AI factions don't hire mercenaries. Leaving the entire roster at the player's disposal, which is slightly unfair.

Playing pontos 2.05 I can recruit boli retainers and kinsman cavalry (recruit 1 each with a 25 turn replenishment rate) in trapezous with the governor general building. Is this intended? The military changes look good by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ribtickler View Post
    Playing pontos 2.05 I can recruit boli retainers and kinsman cavalry (recruit 1 each with a 25 turn replenishment rate) in trapezous with the governor general building. Is this intended? The military changes look good by the way.
    Yes, intended. The Boii Retainers are placeholders for heavy Galatians, the Kinsmen represent the governor's retinue.

Just played Baktria in 2.05a, and it looks like the first mission is bugged, I defeated only one rebel army (had to fight them twice, as some survived after the first battle) and one fort/settlement, and was informed that mission is successfully done.

I checked the script, on first glance I can see what may be wrong. Here's an assumption: the two variables (REPEL_SAKA_kill and REPEL_SAKA_fort) increase after the first successful win every turn, regardless if the second fort or army is defeated. Like when you first conquer the fort the variable REPEL_SAKA_fort increases to one, and then in the next turn, it checks if the fort is in Baktria control, and as it (still) is, the variable increases to two (even though it is meant to increase to two only after the second fort is conquered). I don't understand well the functions in the script, the above is just my guess how I think the two variables increased to two.

Oh, just remembered, Khiva and A Eschate are towns for all purposes on the map (you can build roads etc), but in siege battles they are camps. I know this was the case already in the first release, so you probably know it by now.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Attachment 330967

For some reason the 'true' switch in the script got disabled, the reason why the yes\no buttons are not showing. There is a recovery possible by closing this message window, saving and exiting. When you reload\restart you should get the same message again, this time with the buttons.

Ptolemaioi H/M turn 23. So far so good, minor bug when besieged city, enemy attacked me with one unit from outside and besiegers came to help help. After battle was one, animations moved but nothing happened, so stuck in there.

Assasins are pretty annoying, they get insanely fast "levels" and keep burning my markets n things. Also getting my assasins/spys trained is a bit arbitary? Or how training works overall (I leave em in city with forum over winter, but nothing happens, still recruits).

Economy is a bit tough, I can upkeep around one full army of units ( got them spread though in stacks), im biggest faction atm, and income 36438/37316 expense. No fancy units or OP armies on a field.

Expanding is a bit harder with all tose rebel stacks wandering around every province (and city defenders of course)

Also Cavalry charge is a bit interesting, not all units charge. Front line yes, but those behind...stay behind (need to use move order if i want them in fight).

So yeah, no crashes so far overall.

Rome is passive, Epiros is kicking their arse...