Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When the Hell is the Next Historical Title?

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: When the Hell is the Next Historical Title?

you need to try a multiplayer campaign with a mate, I've never gone back after playing TW campaigns with my bro.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Duram View Post
    I play warhammer from time to time and have warhammer 2 pre-orderd but it's just a game I can't get 'into'.
    May I ask why the you would pre-order a game you don't like? Or any game for that matter? IMO, you're just asking to get on. Makes me wonder though: can Total War micro-transaction loot boxes be far behind?

Isostran's Avatar Foederatus

I am so relieved to find this thread, I thought I was the only one who thought Warhammer was just boring. I even forced myself to play as Empire just so it would feel a bit normal but nope couldn't take it. I have been playing empire with Darthmod lately and it's surprisingly fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post

I think Warhammer is in the talk for the best Total War ever. It certianly from a purely TW mechanics standpoint has unnmatched replayability and diversity among its factions.
    M2 was the best mechanically S2 was the best looks wise
    WH is alright but its ugly and the warscape engine still sucks, the new campaign style is retarded, having to have generals to lead armies makes logistics and reinforcements a nightmare, the building system is tedious and the best way to play with agents is to mod them out. I don't think there will be a mechanically superior TW game to M2 until the warscape engine is trashed and the campaign system is brought back to its original style, or at least the S2 style.

b0Gia de Bodemloze's Avatar Europa Barbarorum Dev

Quote Originally Posted by nilloc93 View Post
    M2 was the best mechanically S2 was the best looks wise
    WH is alright but its ugly and the warscape engine still sucks, the new campaign style is retarded, having to have generals to lead armies makes logistics and reinforcements a nightmare, the building system is tedious and the best way to play with agents is to mod them out. I don't think there will be a mechanically superior TW game to M2 until the warscape engine is trashed and the campaign system is brought back to its original style, or at least the S2 style.
    Hope the next big History Total War to run on a completely new engine. That also means that they will release first the new campaign dlc for attila, the new total war game based on warscape and Warhammer 3. So maybe after 2-3 years from now.
    Under the Patronage of Veteraan.
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

@OP before the WH 3 game comes out a CA dev said but it was a translated so it might have been a mis translation
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by b0Gia de Bodemloze View Post
    Hope the next big History Total War to run on a completely new engine. That also means that they will release first the new campaign dlc for attila, the new total war game based on warscape and Warhammer 3. So maybe after 2-3 years from now.
    I have high hopes this is the case; they're finish off Warscape with the Warhammer trilogy (and small side orders), and the WIP big historical title will drop after that in a brand new engine that allows for proper physics (and thus melee engagements) again

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Reading the tea leaves from dev blog posts and other comments it's likely not until 2020 or maybe later.

Frankly I wouldn't get my hopes up even then. The studio has a totally different focus following acquisition of the Warhammer license. I fully expect the dumbing down of features/appeal to the masses approach (magic abilities, focus on 1v1 hero combat) will continue with the next historical title.

If you can live without a 3d battle mode I suggest trying out the more recent Paradox titles.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

there are enoguh tbs games out there, its the combination with the real time battles that make it unique.

Paradox isnt a great suggestion. Too much featurestripping for dlcwhoring. Endless Legend/ Space 2 are more sensible

Warhammer & warhammer II are two dispoints for all of historical versions fans. We want back to realism and humans history

I have played Total War games since the original RTW. To me, what makes the franchise so great is the tactical aspect of real time battles, and the realism they try to convey... all the way down to individual animations between two enemy soldiers as they hack each other to bits. On top of that, strategic significance on the campaign map by developing your economy and military capabilities make the other half of the game very fun too.

Overall, Warhammer has dumbed down the battles, and delved into a whole genre that deviates wildly from the original premise of the franchise. It is a fun game, but it is not a Total War game in the same way as the early historical titles.

I have no problem with people enjoying this new series, but I do feel as if the base (historical fans) has been slightly let down. I just hope they don't relegate us to a secondary effort. Us history nerds are a special kind of nerd, and I wouldn't lump us into the fantasy nerd group necessarily... the fantasy genre has a lot of representation in the gaming world, but historical games not so much. If total war abandons that avenue then we are left with pretty much nothing.

Just my two cents. Take it as you will.
    that_one_guy: Just your friendly neighborhood grammar Nazi.

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

I'm pretty sure SEGA is a huuuugggge company with vast resources focussed on developing products with commercial potential in the billions of $. It has been stated here and in other threads at various times since the announcement that a new historical title is in development, that the historic games have their own internal department and development team.

WarHammer games have no impact on the Historical games development or their budget - they are separate commercial entities.

I read recently (can't recall where - one of any number of gaming blogs I randomly visit) a statement from WarGames (World of Tanks, Warships, etc) that they were involved with Total War in developing an Arena project. Also as a separate commercial entity. In these partnerships they have to share their revenue with Warhammer and WarGames.

...but Total War historic games revenue is all theirs. Factoring this, I don't believe that the historic titles will ever be neglected or sidelined.

I am hoping that the delay in announcements of the title and timeline of the promised new historical title is due to diligence in development aimed at avoiding the controversy that accompanied and followed the release of Rome 2.

They (Total War/SEGA) have inevitably also realised that the criticism and bad press will begin the minute the title is announced. So if you're looking for a whipping boy for any lack of or delays in announcements I suggest that we look to all the spamming haters that blight forums such as this, who just can't help themselves when it comes to inflicting their desperate need for relevance (anonymously) on the rest of us!

Total War are no doubt aware that the internet buzz that surrounds a product can have a positive or negative impact on the commercial success of the next title. They know for sure now that the aficionados of their history based products are hard-arsed and vocal: not backwards in coming forward with incisive critiques that influence important industry critics in how they rate and promote the game on their various platforms. So, I'm hoping the delays mean they are trying their very best to get it right straight up.

Here's to hope! If they have any commercial nous, the next historic title will be an award winning polished gem!
    Last edited by Spear Dog; October 28, 2017 at 07:42 PM.

Looks like we're getting a new title tomorrow...
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    Looks like we're getting a new title tomorrow...
    https://web.facebook.com/TotalWar/vi...er&_rdc=1&_rdr

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Tannhäuser View Post
    And this is still not the historical title, even though its a historical game. I'm hoping for a King Arthur kind of era Britain.
    The Armenian Issue

I think it's Britain maybe not Arthur but Pre Hastings England with Norwegians, Danes, Saxons and Normans. 3 or 4 kings
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

Indeed it's Pre Hastings but almost 200 years before with Anglo Saxons, Welsh and Danes.

Last edited by Mattias Tannhäuser; November 14, 2017 at 09:29 AM.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Released in 2018

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

they are not ready to announce a release date, or show any gameplay. Just to warn you, its gonna be november 2018 at the earliest

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast