Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: How To: The Ancillary Guide

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Default Re: How To: The Ancillary Guide

I don't believe that triggers need to have unique names but they're mentioned in the trace log so it would make sense to, so you know precisely which trigger the log is referring to.

Titus le Chmakus's Avatar Biarchus
    Skiing on the Spine of the World or hunting in Lurkwood

Ok, well I'll use different names !

Do you know if the condition "or" is appliable ?

SettlementBuildingExists = wooden_pallisade or wooden_castle ?

Or

SettlementBuildingExists wooden_pallisade
    or SettlementBuildingExists wooden_castle

Or do I have to set 2 different triggers for the same ?
    Last edited by Titus le Chmakus; April 18, 2016 at 07:38 AM.

No such thing as "or" unfortunately (EDB is the only exception I'm aware of). Yes, two triggers.

You should have enough posts now to edit (append to) them rather than double-posting.

Sorry but editing posts does not count as new posts, thus the thread is not up to the top of the list and you can't see it has been answered ... Why ?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

And you fear the thread will drop from page 1 and no one will see it, if you edit a post one minute after you posted it...?

Beside that double-posting is against the regulation.
    Last edited by Ngugi; April 18, 2016 at 01:20 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

You're right but the thing is that I noticed on many forums that a lot of people don't even read 2 posts behind, they only read the last one ...

I din't know about the double posting, sorry.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Titus le Chmakus View Post
    You're right but the thing is that I noticed on many forums that a lot of people don't even read 2 posts behind, they only read the last one ...

I din't know about the double posting, sorry.
    Rest assured, Total War Center is not one of those forums. They may not reply straight away, but your posts will always be read by someone and they'll help you if they're able to.

Hi !

I work in a mod and I can't add more ancillaries, I put the first anc and all is ok, works fine, but when I put the second ancillary, CTD when run the game and error_log says:

19:31:32.542 [script.err] [error] Trigger parsing error in mods/TSTW/data/export_descr_ancillaries.txt, at line 2146, column 45 :
    ancillary description (lazarus_knight) not recognised
    19:31:32.542 [game.script] [error] Trigger parsing error in mods/TSTW/data/export_descr_ancillaries.txt, at line 2146, column 45 :
    ancillary description (lazarus_knight) not recognised

This is the anc and trigger and description:

;------------------------------------------
    Ancillary lazarus_knight
    Type Court
    Transferable 0
    Image knight_older.tga
    ExcludeCultures mesoamerican, greek, eastern_european, middle_eastern
    Description lazarus_knight_desc
    EffectsDescription lazarus_knight_effects_desc
    Effect Chivalry 1
    Effect Command 1

Trigger lazarus_knight_trigger
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
    Condition EndedInSettlement
    and SettlementBuildingExists = lazaro2
    and IsGeneral

AcquireAncillary lazarus_knight chance 50

{lazarus_knight}Caballero de San Lázaro
    {lazarus_knight_desc}Sus estrechas relaciones con los caballeros de San Lázaro han puesto a este hombre bajo la protección de la orden.
    {lazarus_knight_effects_desc}Caballería +1, Mando +1

Where is the error? I try everything, delete strings.bin file, put a extra space line in description, and don't work.

Please Help !

See more about Tierra Santa TW and other projects in Discord
    Join the official Discord server of the mod: https://discord.gg/u6VFKgDzpX
    Download TSTW here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/tierra-santa-tw-mod
    Rise of Quetzal TW (WIP) in https://www.moddb.com/mods/rise-of-quetzal-tw

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Is this line 2146?: AcquireAncillary lazarus_knight chance 50

If so then you may have a (hidden) formatting error. Please compress your EDA file (7Zip is freeware) and upload it so I can check.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

In the very first entry Swagger has put such an example and explanation:
    ---
    and RemainingMPPercentage = 100 - how much movement points % remains (0- can't move, 100- hasn't move, didn't moved last turn)
    and TimeInRegion > 3 - how many turns he spent in the region without moving
    ---
    I have a question: is it really that "TimeInRegion" requires spending time in the region WITHOUT moving? Why then the first condition? How the game records that "Time in Region" - ending 3 turns in the same settlement / on the same tile / or just in the same province?

Same province. TimeInRegion means "without moving into another region in the meantime". TimeInRegion > 3 means for the past 4 turns (at least) he has not left this region, though he might have been moving around inside it within that time.

Those two conditions combined don't necessarily mean that he has stayed put on the same spot (e.g. settlement) for 4+ turns, only that he has stayed put in the region for 4+ turns and has not moved at all this turn.

Thanks, Withwnar. It's exactly how I had understood before that condition. I think this detail of the Swagger's guide is slightly misleading.

Since the topic of a general in battles was touched upon in this thread, I have related questions, if I may.
    - when two armies take part in a battle and one of the generals dies, does his death impacts all the troops, or only "his" troops (the army he came to the battlefield)? Or another example: does Command attribute changes the morale of all the troops or only "his" troops?
    - if there’s a second general in the same army, does anything of his Command, morale etc. skills count, or he is just a cavalry (with HP of the general, perhaps)?
    JoC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    In the very first entry Swagger has put such an example and explanation:
    ---
    and RemainingMPPercentage = 100 - how much movement points % remains (0- can't move, 100- hasn't move, didn't moved last turn)
    and TimeInRegion > 3 - how many turns he spent in the region without moving
    ---
    I have a question: is it really that "TimeInRegion" requires spending time in the region WITHOUT moving? Why then the first condition? How the game records that "Time in Region" - ending 3 turns in the same settlement / on the same tile / or just in the same province?
    I am not sure this will actually do what it is intended. Following up on Withnwar's explanation it might well be that t he character roams around Rome for a couple a rounds and then goes on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem where he then stops for a rest and a glass of wine. At which point he will then get the ancillary that certainly has got something to do with Rome.
    Personally I prefer EndedInSettlement to make sure characters get their region based ancillary in the region in question. Example for 'Lord of settlement' ancillary:

Code:
    Trigger wp_Kleve    
        WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
        Condition EndedInSettlement
        and RemainingMPPercentage > 99
        and TimeInRegion > 3
        and SettlementName Kleve
        and IsGeneral
        and not IsFactionLeader
        and not FactionwideAncillaryExists wp_Kleve

AcquireAncillary wp_Kleve chance 100
    Basically after being in the region for at least 3 turns the character also has to spend one turn in the settlement.
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 31, 2016 at 08:45 PM.

Thanks Gigantus! I just wanted to draw attention that the Swagger's explanation in the first post is slightly misleading for the new modders."and TimeInRegion > 3" doesn't mean "how many turns he spent in the region without moving" but ""how many turns he spent in the region". It's clear now.

However, I have much more pertinent question for me. I would like to make some traits of the Coming of Age generals dependent on the buildings in the settlement where the person came of age. In the Stainless Steel those traits depend on the highest level building existing anyway in any faction's settlement, for instance:
    Code:
    Trigger birth_with_religious_orthodox
     WhenToTest CharacterComesOfAge
      Condition IsGeneral
           and FactionBuildingExists >= cathedral_o
      Affects PublicFaith 1 Chance 25

Is there a quick command to make it dependent on the building in the settlement they do come of age? (ie. without resorting to more intricate solutions, like creating an additional trait)

Besides, in your example you're using "and RemainingMPPercentage > 99". Is there any practical difference with "and RemainingMPPercentage = 100", as used in SS files?
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Blog Entries

Is there a quick command to make it dependent on the building in the settlement they do come of age?
    'Coming of Age' is an event - you can't use any direct 'commands'. To be honest I am not really sure what you mean by 'quick command', please explain. The trait trigger is a conditional command, you can't get it simpler then that.

Besides, in your example you're using "and RemainingMPPercentage > 99"
    I am always wary of absolute references where numbers are concerned, call it a quirk of mine I rather use a range (>0 and <2 to denote 1 if multiple values are possible) as that forestalls decimals - which shouldn't occur in the first place, but I simply have seen too many weird things happen in M2TW.

CharacterComesOfAge doesn't export settlement, so no way to add a SettlementBuildingExists condition. I think that's what Jurand is driving at.

There's no direct way. The "intricate solution" is not too difficult though. Create a new hidden trait (say "JustComeOfAge") which CharacterComesOfAge always gives. For your own trait/anc trigger use CharacterTurnStart with conditions:
    JustComeOfAge=1
    EndedInSettlement - does this work with CharacterTurnStart? Think so
    SettlementBuildingExists xxx

Then at CharacterTurnEnd set JustComeOfAge to 0 if he has it. i.e. If "Trait JustComeOfAge > 0" then "Affects JustComeOfAge -1 Chance 100".

I assume it works. Not sure I've ever tried it but almost certain I've described this approach before somewhere.

@Withwnar: thanks, it was exactly what I wanted to know!
    Indeed, the "intricate solution" I had in mind is what Withwnar described. In the Stainless Steel it's even easier because there's already a hidden trait "Wantschool" which starts after CoA. I understand that checking the EDCT triggers for "CharacterTurnStart" takes place after CoA? It must be different from death for I've seen my general getting an ancillary and dying at the same turn.
    @Gigantus - thank's for advice for that >99 issue. I' going to follow you in this while modding.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

I understand that checking the EDCT triggers for "CharacterTurnStart" takes place after CoA?
    Not sure but I expect so. It all hinges on that assumption, and that EndedInSettlement is true for someone who comes of age in a settlement.