Thread: Divide and Conquer - Version 0.52 Released

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: Divide and Conquer - Version 0.52 Released

Well, if you do not want to duke it out for the fun of it, and/as the opposition is overwhelming, you can always apply the old strategy of a strategic retreat; leave the settlement, the enemy takes it over, the other invasion armies return home and you can focus on the conqueror army alone.

If it makes it feel better, Elves would done better to applied this startegy before in history, but suffered terribly because pride prevented them to make that wise move
    And [Tuor] gave warning to Turgon [king of Gondolin, Galadriel's cousin] that the Curse of Mandos now hastened to its fulfilment, when all the works of the Noldor should perish; and he bade him depart, and abandon the fair and mighty city that he had built, and go down Sirion to the sea.
    Then Turgon pondered long the counsel of Ulmo, and there came into his mind the words that were spoken to him in Vinyamar: 'Love not too well the work of thy hands and the devices of thy heart; and remember that the true hope of the Noldor lieth in the West, and cometh from the Sea.' But Turgon was become proud, and Gondolin as beautiful as a memory of Elven Tirion, and he trusted still in its secret and impregnable strength, though even a Vala should gainsay it;
    (...)
    But the red light mounted the hills in the north and not in the east; and there was no stay in the advance of the foe until they were beneath the very walls of Gondolin, and the city was beleaguered without hope.
    - Silmarillion; Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin

EDIT: ninjad ^^
    Last edited by Ngugi; April 17, 2016 at 02:17 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    EDIT: ninjad ^^
    Though on my note of if you can't beat them join them, that would make a unique and interesting script, similar to the Saruman keeps the Ring, have Celeborn with a 'Galadriel claiming the Ring' ancillary, and Lorien goes Dark...

Yeah I think leaving it is the only thing I can do. I was trying to take the extremely challenging route and battle them out but it doesn't seem possible. I tried the battle again, killed 88% of them including all enemy generals, and won. The problem was that Celeborn was the only unit left for me at battle end and he died with about 10 seconds left in the battle, so the settlement now has 2 Lorien Archers and 2 Haradrim stacks sitting right outside...!

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

@Infidel144
    Agree, freedom to create such What If-scenarios would be delightful
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Something DCI will provide may be noted; perhaps DaC want to apply it once they seen it, who knows?

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Lemphibar's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by COOBelisarius View Post
    Yeah I think leaving it is the only thing I can do. I was trying to take the extremely challenging route and battle them out but it doesn't seem possible. I tried the battle again, killed 88% of them including all enemy generals, and won. The problem was that Celeborn was the only unit left for me at battle end and he died with about 10 seconds left in the battle, so the settlement now has 2 Lorien Archers and 2 Haradrim stacks sitting right outside...!
    I've found it best to just abandon it like everyone else. I don't build any buildings in it until late game and when/if an early invasion is called on me I just wait til I see the first stack get close then destroy any buildings and leave then take it back. That being said I hvae only had to do it twice, both times were before barracks event as after it you can typically hold.

francis86's Avatar Decanus

Hi, I am modding DAC for myself making angmar similar to what we see in BFME. I already change ownership of a couple unit to be recruitable by angmar but I have seen while scrolling the export descr unit that there is no dismointed numenoreans unit anymore, they are only officer unit now... Does someone know how I could bring them back.

Thx in advance!

***nevermind I found a way to do it. I also successfully got the dismounted numenoreans unit card to work but in campaign the unit is still call ( unlocalised placement text) any idea to change that.
    Last edited by francis86; April 17, 2016 at 10:09 PM.

Celebon21's Avatar Civis

Retreat to Forodrain or whatever it is that belongs to VoA. Buy it from them early, it will pay off BIG TIME.

1. Buy Forodrain or take it by force.
    2. Retreat to it.
    3. ?????????
    4. Profit... and take back CG

Quote Originally Posted by COOBelisarius View Post
    Does anyone have any experience SURVIVING an invasion as Galadhrim?

First game I tried as them, it was called on turn 24, I had only 3 settlements, and was vying for the village near Dul Guldur with my 1/4 stack (all that can be afforded) when this happened. 3 allied bad guy stacks in the same battle vs my 3/4 stack including the 6 garrison units. I didn't stand a chance!

Second game, it was called on turn 40 and they arrived by 46. This game I had just conquered Dul Guldur with an 8-unit army. I had a beefier army in Caras Galadhon, killed a few attacking stacks, but then 4 allied bad guy stacks attacked. I played about as well as I could on the battle map but still only caused them 77% casualties before getting destroyed. There were also 5 other stacks sitting outside of the town if I had one.

It seems tougher to survive one of these as Lorien (and elves in general) because you just don't have access to a lot of units period pre-barracks. I would love to go take out these stacks 1 at a time as they approach but they always seem to approach in close order, and then some of the time are allied with each other. This is definitely the toughest thing I've come up against in DAC to-date.
    I just have survived a massive invasion as the Galadhrim. I had just killed all of the Mirkwood generals and the faction was destroyed. Whem Sauron called the invasion, i was besieging Dol Guldur; I run with my army to Caras Galadhon and sat there for a long time figthing agains the invaders. Now the invasion was stopped and i was finnaly free to claim Dol Guldur. My tip would be to only use your infantry whem the garrison script troops died.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates1984 View Post
    In my case, the mod worked fine and crash-free for 70-80 turns. Then an update took place for Win10 and everything started deteriorating. Now, I have a crash every second turn or so. Still, this is one of the most stable submods and one of the most enjoyable in every aspect, so despite my crashes I still play it. Trying to finish off the campaign with Imladris.

Some advice that might help and that hasn't to do with the installation. (Nothing of it is mine, I found it searching thoroughly through this thread and the forums):

Disable the automatic time adjustment in your windows clock.

Download NotePad++ and always use this when editing any files in the mod.
    Turn off autosave [medieval2_preferences.cfg, opens with NotePad++, change to autosave = 0 (instead of 1)].

Run various applications for a smoother gaming experience (like Malware Fighter, Defrag, laptop battery to "gaming" etc).
    Turn off all other programs and lower the graphics settings (lowest for me).
    Don't have many different save files. But always save before a battle.

All the above is just a part of what I did to avoid crashes (again, I just gathered it all. It apples only for non-steam version):

1) Download while doing nothing else, one by one.
    2) Run the installers as Administrator, in the right order, doing nothing else.
    3) Install outside of ProgrammFiles(x86).
    4) Fix secutiry/UAC of the base folder Medieval 2 Total War and its subfiles.
    5) Show Hidden files and Delete Virtual Store C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore.
    6) Disable the automatic time adjustment in your windows clock.
    7) Delete the two descr_geography_new.txt (I don't know how to do this and when).

8) Download NotePad++ and always use this when editing any files in the mod.
    9) Turn off autosave [medieval2_preferences.cfg, opens with NotePad++, change to autosave = 0 (instead of 1)].

10) Run various applications for a smoother gaming experience (like Malware Fighter, Defrag, laptop battery to "gaming" etc).
    11) Turn off all other programs and lower the graphics settings (lowest for me).
    12) Don't have many different save files. But always save before a battle.

I am not an expert on this, but I believe this is what you 're looking for (from export_descr_ancillaries).:

Trigger dwarf_halls
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
    Condition EndedInSettlement
    and SettlementName Grey-Mountains
    and FactionType moors
    and IsGeneral
    and not FactionwideAncillaryExists dwarf_halls

AcquireAncillary dwarf_halls chance 100

If "dwarf-halls" is Dain's Halls, then it doesn't seem random. Maybe in the case Gimli didn't get, he was already a governor (ancillary-wise) of another settlement.

Did any of these stop the crashing on your computer? You mentioned that you did these things to "avoid crashes" but did any of them permanently solve the problem or just reduce it?
    I already tried a few of these suggestions, though not all, with no success.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilte View Post
    You are not alone on that. I have exactly the same issue. Though i have learnt to live with it and just save every turn and before every battle
    Man that sucks.

What is strange is that when I play with the stainless steel 6.4 mod it never crashes. I can play 50 turns, and dozens of battles without an issue.
    So how can some of you attribute this to windows 10? If it was the OS, shouldnt we see the crashing occur with other medieval 2 mods?
    Thus it has to be something particular about this mod. Something in this mod is causing the issue. Because I state again, when I play another mod, namely SS 6.4, it never crashes.

Melvasul's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Express4 View Post
    Man that sucks.

What is strange is that when I play with the stainless steel 6.4 mod it never crashes. I can play 50 turns, and dozens of battles without an issue.
    So how can some of you attribute this to windows 10? If it was the OS, shouldnt we see the crashing occur with other medieval 2 mods?
    Thus it has to be something particular about this mod. Something in this mod is causing the issue. Because I state again, when I play another mod, namely SS 6.4, it never crashes.
    It's casual and game's fault
    Windows 10 is a better version(and more stable) of 8.1
    The game doesnot crash due to W10, there are really no evidence in saying this(I tell you about more than 100 hour playing in both medieval 2, kingdoms, SS, BC, TATW, and so on)

Quote Originally Posted by francis86 View Post
    Hi, I am modding DAC for myself making angmar similar to what we see in BFME. I already change ownership of a couple unit to be recruitable by angmar but I have seen while scrolling the export descr unit that there is no dismointed numenoreans unit anymore, they are only officer unit now... Does someone know how I could bring them back.

Thx in advance!

***nevermind I found a way to do it. I also successfully got the dismounted numenoreans unit card to work but in campaign the unit is still call ( unlocalised placement text) any idea to change that.
    You need to give them a unit name and description in the text/export_units.txt file

Nilte's Avatar Civis

Man that sucks.

Funny we have exactly the same problems. Ss 6.4 works fine, only mos and dac that i have these issues with

Socrates1984's Avatar Decanus
    Citizen

Did any of these stop the crashing on your computer? You mentioned that you did these things to "avoid crashes" but did any of them permanently solve the problem or just reduce it?
    I already tried a few of these suggestions, though not all, with no success.
    Well, no... These suggestions are not mine. Before even starting downloading I tried to benefit from others' wisdom on how to avoid crashes and how to install correctly, so I compiled this small list of suggestions for personal use. After that, I decided to share it, stating every time that it's not mine and implying that it doesn't guarantee success.
    If all else fails, then there are only two possible explanations AFAIK: Corrupt download and OS failure. Now, my computer-fu isn't that great, so I trust melwasul's words:

Quote Originally Posted by melwasul View Post
    It's casual and game's fault
    Windows 10 is a better version(and more stable) of 8.1
    The game doesnot crash due to W10, there are really no evidence in saying this(I tell you about more than 100 hour playing in both medieval 2, kingdoms, SS, BC, TATW, and so on)
    What remains as a solution is re-download, re-install, retry and re-pray everything went well... People say it's a stable mod and considering its awesomeness, it's worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleptomayn View Post
    Thanks for feedback Socrates!
    No problem!

Quote Originally Posted by H.Maverick View Post
    I believe the swan knights used the mearas, which is a super fast super smart horse
    Quote Originally Posted by IBSXYPNTS View Post
    IIRC this is the reason. Even if not they rode the best horses of Gondor which is pretty damned good.
    Thanks for the answers!

g2nim's Avatar Libertus

When invasion is called, I make troops until the first foe appears. Then I leave the town with just one garrison inside. When the nasty troops take the town, the others clear off. You go back with your full stack army and the town is your again. Usually, there is just one invasion called. You must be quiet for the rest of the game.

Hey,

Does anyone have any news or idea,as to when a new version or a patch of this submod is coming out ?
    Also wanted to say,that you guys have done a mighty fine job and I could not thank you enough for the many hours that I spent playing this.

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Piverti View Post
    Hey,

Does anyone have any news or idea,as to when a new version or a patch of this submod is coming out ?
    Also wanted to say,that you guys have done a mighty fine job and I could not thank you enough for the many hours that I spent playing this.
    Version 1 (Unreleased):
    Changelog
    Release Date: June-ish, July-ish, August-{when the wind blows-ish}, "if" the stars align correctly and the seer likes what she sees in the tea leaves.

Version 0.52 & 1.0 will be two different animals, so take this time and enjoy. DaC0.52. If replayed, each faction will have diffrerent newonces depending on the decisions the the AI's makes. Usually the dice rolls differently. Last time out Xfaction left you alone. this time out Xfaction shnuffed you out by turn 46.

DaC0.52 has good re playability, so give that a throw. Also folks can change up their style of play. If you rushed the map in 70 turns. last time out, turtle for the first 50 turns or so and see how different things turn out.
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Let me fix something Mega Tortas... Release Date: 7

Lemphibar's Avatar Civis

I know the khazad campaign is busted but I played it any. It worked for me only 2 crashes neither game ending. My question is are they going to get reworked or just fixed for the new release? As is takes 40ish turns to covert the population coupled with very high recruitment wait times it makes for an extremely boring campaign. Very anticlimactic for it actually working for me.

Well as has been said so, so so many times there's really little point testing KD at this stage. As you said, it's pretty much broken and we haven't really spent any time balancing it as a result. If you are one of the lucky few to get it to work then great, but well, don't expect it to feel in any way complete.