Thread: Laptop SSDs

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Default Laptop SSDs

TWC Basement dwelle... sorry, techies, (), I need some help.

I have an ASUS FX503VD and I want to upgrade from the rather horrible SSHD it currently has to a full on top class SSD. Found one from Kingston with a 1TB SSD, perfect for what I need.

However I'm confused about the dimensions. I mean, this is a normal laptop, I guess the sizes of HDDs / SSDs are standardised correct? Can someone explain to me what does an M2 SSD mean and how do I pick the right dimension?

Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Laptop SSDs

M2 SSD requires a slot in your motherboard, if you don't know whether your motherboard has a M2 slot then you should get a discrete solution which is seperate from the mobo like this crucial SSD.

https://www.crucial.com/ssd/mx500/ct1000mx500ssd1
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    However I'm confused about the dimensions. I mean, this is a normal laptop, I guess the sizes of HDDs / SSDs are standardised correct? Can someone explain to me what does an M2 SSD mean and how do I pick the right dimension?
    Yes as per the ASUS FX503VD manual, M.2 2280 type is supported on your laptop (See chapter 5 - Page 86). Although, you would have to replace the SSHD with form factor 2.5.
    This will improve your laptop experience by many miles. M.2 NvMe is the basic must these days. Just make sure you buy Gen 3. Gen 4 is not supported on your laptop's MOBO.

See the teardown video on how you can install it yourself without any hassle:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0p3PPlPAXQ

Ishan, z3n,

Thank you so much for your replies.

I've done some checks & read that part of the manual, I will go for a Kingston 1TB Sata SSD. That way it won't need an M2 card, I'll just pop in the new SSD instead of the SSHD.

P.S.: I knew that video quite well, Ishan, I tried to do a teardown because one of my fans got de-centred. In the end I sent it to the service for a clean & repaste.

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

I think all current SSDs are default two point five laptop hard drive dimensions, though there are thinner and fatter variants (of laptop hard drives).
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

I've done some checks & read that part of the manual, I will go for a Kingston 1TB Sata SSD. That way it won't need an M2 card, I'll just pop in the new SSD instead of the SSHD.
    Yes, that will do just great as well. SSD+SATA ports are still potent in making windows responsive with low boot times.
    M.2 ports comes into play when you're using heavy exports or using Adobe applications where lot of huge files require write\speed. Basically when handling 4K videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    I think all current SSDs are default two point five laptop hard drive dimensions, though there are thinner and fatter variants (of laptop hard drives).
    Yes. The default has been like that even from the times of mechanical drives. Standard 2.5" with 5400 rpm.

SCSI hit ten and I think fifteen kay; SATA 7200.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

https://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/kc60...id-state-drive

There's a 2TB version as well but that's a bit too much price wise. 1TB will be enough.

Ishan, z3n,

Thank you so much for your replies.

P.S.: I knew that video quite well, Ishan, I tried to do a teardown because one of my fans got de-centred. In the end I sent it to the service for a clean & repaste.
    Kingston is a great choice mate