Thread: CPU overclocking

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

Default CPU overclocking

So here's a bit of background:

CPU: i5-4690K (3.50GHz) with water cooling. (PC is now almost 6 years old)
    MOBO: Z97X-Gaming 3
    Haswell Devil's Canyon chip (the golden age of intel -they just don't make them like this anymore).

So I overclocked my CPU from 3.5GHz to 4.8GHz
    I stressed tested it and even been playing actual games for about a week now and it seems stable IE. no crashes, no blue screens of death, core temperatures, etc. are normal -never going above 73c (average about 55-65), etc.

My concern is I had to increase the voltage & now have 1.325V running through the MOBO!? Is this likely to kill the MOBO? CPU? in the next few months/severely decrease the life expectancy!?!
    Any advice? Life experience with these things!? Would be much appreciated TA.
    Last edited by Stario; August 23, 2020 at 12:22 PM.

Default Re: CPU overclocking

It's pretty high. Higher voltages can decrease your lifespan, but as long as your temps are good, you reported they are, there is no real issue with running that high of a voltage.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

That sounds like a reasonable voltage. Anything above 1.4 would be more of a problem.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Generally MOBO manufacturers color code their voltages. If it's marked in red, then yes, it's over voltage. But anything unsafe would usually result in BSOD, or restart, as BIOS is designed to safeguard the hardware.
    Overtime OV can reduce lifespan but the capacitors are high quality supporting 10+ years of abuse easily. By that time MOBO would most likely be replaced by you, so you have nothing to worry about.

On the safe side you could create and save your OC and non-OC profiles and switch it only when you're gaming or doing something CPU intensive. Under normal usage you could just use your non-OC profile.

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

So my GPU finally got here ( I went with an MSI GTX 1650 Super as after looking at benchmarks seemed money-to-performance not worth getting anything too crazy as my CPU would become bottleneck + plan is to game at 1080p).

I also installed 32gb (4x8) DDR3-2400 RAM. (old MOBO doesn't take DDR4)

Currently playing on a TV as I am waiting for monitor to arrive (went with AOC 24G2 144Hz).
    As this is a budget PC i am putting together for my son who mainly plays Fortnite (nothing too crazy in setup).

I did notice after installing new GPU + RAM temperatures went up roughly 10-12 degrees C (with an average between 60-70 but at times hitting high 70's and for a second or two one core hit 81 degrees C).

Is there a reason why my temps jumped so much?!?
    Last edited by Stario; August 24, 2020 at 06:26 PM.

GPU might be adding more hot air to your case, depending on your CPU cooling setup, that extra hot air may be impacting your temperatures. The upgrade might've improved your CPU utilization, which could increase the heat output. There's a few possibilities. Personally, I wouldn't focus on the why, as opposed to just trying to reduce temps. Fresh re-pastingwith good thermal paste is always a good bet, Kryonaut or Gelid GC Extreme are pretty good. Both of them are non-conductive as well which means they're really safe. Tweaking your fan and cooling setup can also do the trick. Adding a case fan or two. No need to go with expensive Noctuas either. Arctic P12s are like 10$ a pop, or 30$ for a 5 pack here in US. Really good fans, always handy to have fans in general if you ever upgrade or want to replace dead ones.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I have roughly the same setup as you Stario and when I added a GPU (gtx 1050 ti) it increased all temps in my case but upwards to 5 degrees. Basically I had to remove my side panels to ensure ventilation - old case no slots for fans.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Jump in temp could have many possible reasons. GPU upgrade has very little to do with it if the ventilation is okay, proper intake and exhaust.

Things i would do to improve temps on a 6 years old water cooled CPU is reapply thermal paste of a good and affordable brand, a pea drop mind you. After that you should top-up the water cooling solution as well. 6 years a long time.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Thanks for the advice.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

GPU temps are actually not a big cause for concern. They're meant to run very hot sometimes under full load (up to 100 celsius for some cards). If it's running that hot at idle however, then you do have a problem.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Case manufacturers seem to have partially focussed on ventilation and water cooling, and there seem to be quite a number of case reviews, indicating their relevance.

I haven't tried this, but you could open up your case and aim a normal fan at it, or a hairblower set on cool, and see what happens.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.