View Poll Results: Which should be the start date: 455, at the start of Dagor Bragollach, when all the Noldor princes were still alive and strong, or 468, when the Union of Maedhros was formed, the time of Húrin and Túrin, for a harder and closer to lore campaign?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 455, start of Dagor Bragollach

17 80.95%
  • 468, Union of Maedhros

4 19.05%

Thread: War of the Silmarils

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: War of the Silmarils

Quote Originally Posted by Torquemada_1979 View Post
    although the mod the fourth age of the TW is very good, it is, and is very much inspired by the books (little inspiration can have as Tolkien almost did not write about this age), the first age is a universe filled with things that more like in the movies; powerful armies of elves, men and dwarves, battles with dragons and Balrogs and other powerful creatures and legendary characters.

With all due respect the fourth age can never be compared to the events described in the Silmarillion and I think the TW deserves a mod of the First Age.

Too bad it's no modding field, would have lent my support without hesitation ....
    Did my point just fly over your head? I think it did.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Sorry to ask...But is this an accademic discussio mod or a mod under development?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

as alreadyded stated, a mod depends much more on a leader willing to put everything together and organize the team than the team itself.

the decision of releasing units as a resource was never mine to make. i had great help from Earl of Memory while making them and i also used some stuff other people had made for various projects here in TWC. releasing anything independently and outside the WotS mod would require coming in contact with lots of people and asking for their permission, as they had given it only for the release of the whole mod. Moreover, even if i made some stuff completely on my own, i had great help for inspiration and opinions from the rest of the team, so i hope you understand it wouldn't feel right to upload anything as a standalone resource.

that said, i was surprised to log in after a while and see how many people have been dissapointed by the "death" of the mod. so, for old times' sake and because this project once was of great importance to me and the rest of the team, as well as several patient fans waiting to play, i would gladly share whatever files i still have (that is, most of the doriath faction and some more units for other factions) with anyone who wants to (and can) take the mod over. of course, they'd have to ask everyone else who worked on the mod and memorate the old team if it is ever released. if anyone is interested, pm me. also, i would suggest contanting Earl, as he was the least willing to let WotS go and might still want to work on it.

on a side note, @Nelduin, your own mod seems very promising. the doriath faction really looks a lot like our own and i feel flattered by the fact my work might have been an inspiration for anyone whatsoever. i wish you and your team best of luck
    Last edited by glassakias; July 08, 2014 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glassakias View Post
    @Nelduin, your own mod seems very promising. the doriath faction really looks a lot like our own and i feel flattered by the fact my work might have been an inspiration for anyone whatsoever. i wish you and your team best of luck
    They really are similar. Your Doriath units are pretty great and really inspired Milner when making our units (I think he even "borrow" some of the shield designs ). Thanks for the encouragement.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

So this is a real mod with map, campaign script and units etc?
    Beacuse in 123 pages i did not locate any map screenshot neither a small units preview...
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

I have all the map files and it is like 98% finished (very detailed), I just need to finish up in the north east real quick, nothing holding back progress. I don't have any of the units except my own though and I don't know how many are out there. If you guys could send them to me that would be great, just to have all the work in one place.

I will post some screens of what I have if I get some free time, maybe they will garner interest.
    Last edited by alreadyded; June 30, 2014 at 02:42 AM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    I have all the map files and it is like 98% finished (very detailed), I just need to finish up in the north east real quick, nothing holding back progress. ...

I will post some screens of what I have if I get some free time, maybe they will garner interest.
    Very much so

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

Indeed, it will garner interest.

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

Totally, someone should gather every bits of the mod, at least to avoid any material to be lost. That would be a shame, since this mod was looking so good.

Maybe someone will make it revive, someday. It will be a great success.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    So this is a real mod with map, campaign script and units etc?
    Beacuse in 123 pages i did not locate any map screenshot neither a small units preview...
    actually, there are screenshots both of the map (well, an earlier version than the one alreadyded has) and some units in the OP. most of them don't work anymore, but the map still shows. also, there have been uploaded several screenshots in the pages of the thread, but i guess they will be broken as well after such a long time

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

would be great if the preview pics could be reuploaded, it would certainly garner my interest

well, if it for the sake of garnering interest...
    Ossiriand
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Memory View Post
    Faction Preview: The Laiquendi of Ossiriand
    The preview shown here is only about some units & stuff, there are some things still pending such as implementation of the faction in the campaign map, better descriptions, faction symbol, etc.

Faction Intro:
    Between Gelion and Ered Luin, lay the far green country of Ossiriand, the "Land of Seven Rivers". In Ossiriand dwelt the Lindar or Green-Elves, in the protection of their rivers, still blessed by the presence of Ulmo the lord of waters, who loved Gelion as much as the river Sirion. The woodcraft of the elves of Ossiriand would become such a legend that it was rumored amongst travelers that it was possible to walk their woods for days and see none of its inhabitants. The enchanted forests would be filled by singing voices heard from many leagues afar, which entice and marvel travelers and other elves alike.

Long years have passed since the elves awoke on the far east and were found by the Enemy, who captured many and tortured them, before the Valar could find them and invite them to dwell under their protection. It was first during these long years that many elves heard the call of the Valar summoning them to the West; many answered the call, and began to travel westwards, abandoning the lands they had known for years now.

A vast group of elves under Lenwë forsook the march and turned south following the great river, where they finally found a place to live and would be known as the Nandor. Lenwë or Denethor as is more commonly known, led this group of elves for a long time until the great enemy arose from the north and invaded Beleriand. His armies surrounded the kingdom of Doriath, with whom the green elves had a long time friendship, and Thingol was cut off from Cirdan at Eglarest. Thingol then called upon Denethor and the green-elves, and they came in force beyond Ossiriand and fought the first battle in the Wars of Beleriand. The battle was won but at a grievous price to the green elves, who had few metal weapons and soon were hard pressed by the orcs who were armed with iron shields and armors, and had broad blades; Denethor and his guard were cut off from the main force upon the hill of Amon Ereb. There they fought bravely until the bitter end, slaying wave after wave of the endless river of orcs; yet they were bested by their sheer numbers, and overwhelmed the shield wall of Denethor. So fell the first and only leader of the elves of Ossiriand, who have not named another leader ever since.

After the great battle, the green elves, leaderless, exhausted, and severly crippled, regrouped and returned to their homes; having tasted the bitterness of war, they decided not to march in force again against the Evil of the North. Morgoth was defeated and his forces were utterly crushed by the arrival of the Noldor from the West, and the Long Siege commenced. For hundreds of years, the Laiquendi of Ossiriand dwelt in peace, always keeping a close watch over the borders of their forests, until the Enemy launched a sudden strike against the Noldor, who were defeated, effectively ending the Long Siege. Now orcs and other foul creatures roam the valleys freely, endangering all the peoples of Beleriand.

Although the lands of Ossiriand are far away from the main battle front, they are not exempt from invasion and may soon as well suffer the bitterness of war again. The question is, would the Laiquendi name a new Leader to guide them in open war against this great threat, or remain hidden in their forests? Would it be wise to survive, yet live a never ending war, or join the ranks of the Noldorin kingdoms who now prepare a counterstrike? Which path would My Lord choose?

Faction remarks: The elves of Ossiriand lay far away from the main conflict, but are not exempt from attacks should the Noldorin realms fall. They resort to skirmishing tactics, since they have few metal weapons. Only the personal guard of the nobles might stand a chance against the heavily armored orcs, but they are few in numbers. It is not by waging open warfare where the green elves will succeed, but by cunning and ambush; that is unless they find lands filled with ore and others willing to teach them how to master the forgery of metal weapons. The warriors of Ossiriand are hearty, brave, and swift, yet frail due to their total lack of armor, so they should be used wisely.

Faction strengths: Agile troops, many javelin units, improved ability to hide.
    Faction weaknesses: Lack of armor, few cavalry units, low tier units don't have metal weapons.

Green-elves of Ossiriand Roster:

Tier 1
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ossiriand Levies: green clothes (short tunics), sharpened wooden spear, simple round wooden shield (with wooden texture), able to hide anywhere
    Ossiriand Levies
    ¬----------------
    {Ossiriand_Levies}Ossiriand Levies
    {Ossiriand_Levies_descr}
    In Ossiriand, land of the seven rivers, roam free the Lindar or Green-Elves. Although they have not engaged in open warfare against Morgoth since the death of their lord Denethor, their homes are not safe from his threat. Should an overly courageous Orc raid venture into their beloved wood, it is the task of these men to ensure none shall return from it. Their weapons of choice are wooden spears, shields and stealth. Their green clothes aid them in their battles, allowing them to ambush any enemy from anywhere and return to the shadows again should their attack not prove deadly enough.
    {Ossiriand_Levies_descr_short}
    These ossiriand warriors use their spears to defend their homes.
    ¬----------------

River Elves: green clothes with blue decoration, sharpened wooden spear, 2-3 sharpened wooden javelins (throwing before charge), able to hide anywhere [AOR at rivers]
    ¬----------------
    {River_Elves}River Elves
    {River_Elves_descr}
    Ossiriand is named after its famous seven rivers, the Gelion and its six tributaries. Bestrides these rivers live a people akin to the other Green Elves and yet somewhat different. Although their appearance is the same, the river elves live off the river rather than the woods and use the famous wood crafting skills of their people to create boats and javelins rather than arrows and spears. Should the Laiquendi ever choose a new lord then these men will follow him to battle no matter where he chooses to, clad in their distinct blue-green cloths and wielding the javelins they rarely use for hunting anything but fish.
    {River_Elves_descr_short}
    River Elves are clad in distinct blue-green cloths and wield darts.
    ¬----------------

Laegrim Scouts: green clothes, hoods thrown back, shortbow with sharpened wooden arrowheads, simple stone dagger, able to hide anywhere
    ¬----------------
    {Laegrim_Scouts}Laegrim Scouts
    {Laegrim_Scouts_descr}
    In Ossiriand, land of the seven rivers, roam free the Lindar or Green-Elves. Although they have not engaged in open warfare against Morgoth since the death of their lord Denethor, their homes are not safe from his threat. It is the scouts who watch over the borders of the forest in search for overly courageous orcs, and other enemies who might aim to raid their beloved woods. There are few who can pass through their vigilant eyes without being spotted. Their green clothes aid them in their battles, allowing them to ambush any enemy from anywhere and return to the shadows again should their attack not prove deadly enough. They collaborate closely with the rangers of the forest, who have become their commanders. Indeed many experienced rangers hail from the ranks of the scouts, having risen to a more important position.
    {Laegrim_Scouts_descr_short}
    The scouts are the first barrier of defense of the realm of Ossiriand against intruders. They use their shortbows to great effect.
    ¬----------------
    Laegrim Slingers: green clothes, slings, wearing hoods & thrown back, simple stone dagger, able to hide anywhere
    Laegrim Skirmishers: green clothes, hoods thrown back, 7-8 javelins with obsidian points, secondary flint dagger, additional flint knife and horn on the belt, able to hide anywhere
    ¬----------------
    {Laegrim_Skirmishers}Laegrim Javelineers
    {Laegrim_Skirmishers_descr}
    In Ossiriand, land of the seven rivers, roam free the Lindar or Green-Elves. Although they have not engaged in open warfare against Morgoth since the death of their lord Denethor, their homes are not safe from his threat. Should an overly courageous Orc raid venture into their beloved wood, it is the task of these men to ensure none shall return from it. Their weapons of choice are sturdy javelins which they throw from afar, shields and stealth. Their green clothes aid them in their battles, allowing them to ambush any enemy from anywhere and return to the shadows again should their attack not prove deadly enough. If caught in a prolonged melee, they will be slaughtered since they have no armor and only knives to defend themselves in close quarters.
    {Laegrim_Skirmishers_descr_short}
    These Ossiriand warriors are quite used to the skirmishing tactics along the borders of the forest with their javelins.
    ¬----------------

Tier 2
    Laiquendi Spearmen: green clothes, hoods thrown back, spears with flint spearheads, round wooden shields of beautifully sculpted and decorated wood (with plant and flower designs), additional flint knife and horn on the belt, able to hide anywhere
    ¬----------------
    {Laiquendi_Spearmen}Laiquendi Spearmen
    {Laiquendi_Spearmen_descr}
    In Ossiriand, land of the seven rivers, roam free the Lindar or Green-Elves. Although they have not engaged in open warfare against Morgoth since the death of their lord Denethor, their homes are not safe from his threat. Should an overly courageous Orc raid venture into their beloved wood, it is the task of these men to ensure none shall return from it. They are better prepared for melee than the freemen or the javelineers, with stronger shields and longer spears. Their green clothes aid them in their battles, allowing them to ambush any enemy from anywhere and return to the shadows again should their attack not prove deadly enough.
    {Laiquendi_Spearmen_descr_short}
    These Ossiriand spearmen are capable of holding their ground against even heavy infantry.
    ¬----------------
    Laiquendi Bowmen: green clothes, hoods thrown back, bow with obsidian arrowheads, secondary flint dagger, additional flint knife and horn on the belt, able to hide anywhere
    ¬----------------
    {Laiquendi_Bowmen}Laiquendi Bowmen
    {Laiquendi_Bowmen_descr}
    In Ossiriand, land of the seven rivers, roam free the Lindar or Green-Elves. Although they have not engaged in open warfare against Morgoth since the death of their lord Denethor, their homes are not safe from his threat. Should an overly courageous Orc raid venture into their beloved wood, it is the task of these men to ensure none shall return from it. Unlike the scouts who travel ahead in the vanguard, these companies of archers march besides the spearmen using longbows as well as spears. Their green clothes aid them in their battles, allowing them to ambush any enemy from anywhere and return to the shadows again should their attack not prove deadly enough.
    {Laiquendi_Bowmen_descr_short}
    These bowmen form the backbone of the realm of Ossiriand's army.
    ¬----------------
    Laiquendi Riders: green clothes, hoods thrown back, 5-6 javelins with obsidian points, secondary spear with flint spearhead
    ¬----------------
    {Laiquendi_Riders}Laiquendi Riders
    {Laiquendi_Riders_descr}
    In Ossiriand, land of the seven rivers, roam free the Lindar or Green-Elves. Although they have not engaged in open warfare against Morgoth since the death of their lord Denethor, their homes are not safe from his threat. Should an overly courageous Orc raid venture into their beloved wood, it is the task of these men to ensure none shall return from it. These skilfull riders are able to stay hidden until the very last moment to launch a swift ambush with their javelins before retreating to a new safe position. They rely on their speed rather than sheer staying power to succeed, since they carry no armor at all. Their agile horses allow them to return to the shadows should their attack not prove deadly enough.{Laiquendi_Riders_descr_short}
    These horsemen are used to hit-and-run tactics to disorganize their foes.
    ¬----------------
    Laegrim Warriors: green clothes with hood thrown back, leather armour, flint hand-axe/hatchet with long wooden shaft (AP), secondary bronze dagger, round wooden decorated shield reinforced with leather, additional flint knife and horn on the belt, able to hide anywhere
    ¬----------------
    {Laegrim_Warriors}Laegrim Warriors
    {Laegrim_Warriors_descr}
    In Ossiriand, land of the seven rivers, roam free the Lindar or Green-Elves. Although they have not engaged in open warfare against Morgoth since the death of their lord Denethor, their homes are not safe from his threat. Should an overly courageous Orc raid venture into their beloved wood, it is the task of these men to ensure none shall return from it. These warriors take the lead on the attack protected by their leather garments, shields reinforced with a bronze boss in the center, their agility, and a fierceness rarely seen on the Lindar. As is common amongst the Lindar, their green garments aid them in their battles, allowing them to ambush any enemy from anywhere and return to the shadows again should their attack not prove deadly enough.
    {Laegrim_Warriors_descr_short}
    These Ossiriand warriors are quite capable in melee with their throwing axes, short swords and reinforced shields.
    ¬----------------

Tier 3

Warband of Denethor: green clothes and long green cloak with hoods thrown back, green leather armour in the shape of leaves, primary weapon: longbow with bronze arrowheads, secondary: spear with bronze point and a wooden shaft decorated with sculpted leaves around the shaft. Wearing a crown of green leaves and white/yellow flowers on their hair, and a second variation, red leaves and dark red grapes. Oxen horn and a harp on their belt as additional details. Elite 'ceremonial' bodyguard unit in memory of the lost king, able to hide anywhere
    ¬----------------
    {Denethor}Warband of Denethor
    {Denethor_descr}
    Ossiriand is named after its famous seven rivers, the Gelion and its six tributaries. Many years ago, the lands were stained with the blood of elves, orcs, wolves, and other foul creatures who fought over the realm of Ossiriand. During the battle, Denethor, leader of the green elves was surrounded and slain in a hill. Ever since that event, the Lindar have chosen no leader and remain free. Should the Laiquendi ever choose a new lord then these men will follow him to battle no matter where he chooses to, clad in their bronze scale corselets, and wielding axes to chop the heads of many-an-orc.
    {Denethor_descr_short}
    Warband of Denethor was created in the honor of the fallen leader of the Lindar. They use the very best weapons and armor available in Ossiriand.
    ¬----------------
    Laiquendi Guards: green clothes and long green cloak with hoods thrown back, green leather armour in the shape of leaves, spear with bronze point and a wooden shaft decorated with sculpted leaves around the shaft. Oxen horn and a harp on their belt as additional details.

Green-elven Rangers: green forest attire, wearing hoods, longbow with bronze arrowheads, bronze dagger, additional flint knife and horn on the belt, able to hide anywhere
    ¬----------------
    {Lindar_Rangers}Ossiriand Rangers
    {Lindar_Rangers_descr}
    In Ossiriand, land of the seven rivers, roam free the Lindar or Green-Elves. Although they have not engaged in open warfare against Morgoth since the death of their lord Denethor, their homes are not safe from his threat. Should an overly courageous Orc raid venture into their beloved wood, it is the task of these men to ensure none shall return from it. Lindar Rangers venture far and wide along the borders leading the scouts and other light troops to defend against incursions of the enemy. They are familiar with many roads and valleys and keep the roads amongst the trees protected. They use elaborate leather armor which shields them against the many dangers they face, while still remaining swift enough to travel quickly. Rangers are excellent archers who use longbows at point blank range while using their ability to hide almost anywhere.
    {Lindar_Rangers_descr_short}
    Ossiriand Rangers are the elite scouts of the realm. They use longbows and swords.
    ¬----------------
    Laiquendi Horse Archers: green clothes, hoods thrown back, bows with bronze arrowheads, secondary spears with bronze spearheads
    ¬----------------
    {Lindar_HA}Ossiriand Horse Archers
    {Lindar_HA_descr}
    In Ossiriand, land of the seven rivers, roam free the Lindar or Green-Elves. Although they have not engaged in open warfare against Morgoth since the death of their lord Denethor, their homes are not safe from his threat. Should an overly courageous Orc raid venture into their beloved wood, it is the task of these men to ensure none shall return from it. The Mounted Rangers venture far and wide along the borders leading the scouts and other light troops to defend against incursions of the enemy. They are familiar with many roads and valleys and keep the roads amongst the trees protected. They use elaborate leather armor which shields them against the many dangers they face, while still remaining swift enough to travel quickly. Mounted Rangers are excellent light cavalry capable of encircling and raining death freely against the enemy while remaining safe.
    {Lindar_HA_descr_short}
    Ossiriand Horse Archers are swift elite scouts of the realm. They use longbows and spears.
    ¬----------------

Screenshots

Credits:
    glassakias for advice, models, and many things
    Jorisofholland for some descriptions
    Rusichi:Total War for the models
    Louis Lux & Lu Bu for the faces & hair
    AlphaDelta for some parts of the models (scarfs, bows, etc.)

EVERYTHING SHOWN HERE IS STILL WORK IN PROGRESS!! SO WE MAY MAKE SOME CHANGES & ADD/REMOVE STUFF!

Falathrim
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Memory View Post
    PREVIEW:
    THE FALATHRIM ELVES

Introduction:
    It took the Dark Lord only a few years to undo ere we had made with our hands and sweat, and all that was once fair and noble had burnt down to ashes... all save our grand armada, and the great Havens. When all hope had faded, we had chosen to retreat back to our great Havens, protected by their thick Walls and 'ere awaited for a certain doom. The Walls of the Havens held for a long time, but our defenses were broken, our hearts wavered, and just when the enemy tasted the sweet smell of victory, suddenly an unexpected foe assailed them: they were the Noldor, who had sought the Dark Lord all the way back from Valinor. The Noldor defeated the Enemy in the Battle Under Stars, and we were relieved of our great grief; the Long Siege then began. Afterwards we took to the teachings of the Noldor: they gave us magnificent stonework, and beauty came back to the Havens, and fair gardens were seen again all around the coasts. Pearls and diamonds adorned the gates of tempered steel forged by the Noldor, the entrance to our homes. For more than four hundred years did the peace last, and whenever a threat was seen, our warriors joined the sentries left by the Noldor and with great deeds of valour and honour did the heads of hundreds and thousands of orcs were done for. Wielding axe, sword, bow and spear, did our warriors made a stand and kept the peace whenever trouble raised. Yet not all was happiness... in the year 455, a massive strike was launched by the Enemy, bringing forth fire and ash and darkness, and the Noldor suffered a bitter defeat which would break the Long Siege, and ignite the fires of war again. So ere our warriors prepare their shields, their helmets, their swords, their bows and arrows, their spears, their axes, their armours, and most importantly, their hearts, to face such a terrible threat. It is our duty to honour the alliance with the Noldor and convince remainder of the elves of Beleriand, as well as the Edain, to join swords together and march north to the impregnable iron mountains... and then, Melkor will tremble.

For more than 400 years have the Falathrim lived at a relative peace, away from the main battle-front held by the Noldor, so it is the duty of the Lord of the Falas to make ready the army, and do it fast. Teleri warriors are brave, yet poorly armored to face the heavily armored orcs, not to say the rest of the creatures the Dark Lord has at his disposal. To wage a frontal and open warfare will doom our armies: we lack the heavy armor of the Noldor, or great numbers to overwhelm enemy fortifications. You, great lord, should claim territories faster than the Enemy is able, by sending our nimble but fast warriors to take strategical positions from which to launch attacks and then retreat to a safe position to strike again. To achieve victory, we need to forge alliances with powerful kingdoms such as Doriath, and the Noldor... For against the Dark Lord and his endless armies, there can be no victory fighting all alone.

Faction Roster:
    ¬----------------
    {Eglarest_Guard}Eglarest Guard
    {Eglarest_Guard_descr}
    A long time ago during the age of the Trees, Sindarin elves felt attracted to the sea and its beauty and settled in a place which would be known as the Haven of Eglarest. There they inhabited peacefully for many years... yet peace was not to last for long, when Morgoth, the dark lord, came from the north with his orcish armies and invaded the Falas. They ravaged and pillaged and burned what was once fair and beautiful, and the Falathrim retreated to their walled havens, and under the protection of its thick towers, rained death over their enemies. Long was the siege, and many skirmishes were fought beneath the walls, and when all hope had been lost, the Noldor arrived into Beleriand and defeated the orcs in the Battle-under-Stars. Years afterwards, the Noldor of Nargothrond came and built magnifiscent walls and harbours, which would endure any but the most determined of onslaughts. Ever since, the Eglarest Guards stand vigilant over the towers and walls of the Haven, to protect their beloved city from certain doom.
    {Eglarest_Guard_descr_short}
    Disciplined elite guards who hold enemy at bay using their long pikes.
    ¬----------------
    {Falathrim_Noble}High Nobles of the Havens
    {Falathrim_Noble_descr}
    The falathrim noblemen carry the best armor found in the Falas, along with high status swords made by the best smiths from the havens. They are the creme of the falathrim army, difficult to replace, but more difficult to bring down.
    {Falathrim_Noble_descr_short}
    The elite of the Falas carry heavy scale mail, swords and heater shields.
    ¬----------------
    {falas_coastwatch}Falas Coastal Watchmen
    {falas_coastwatch_descr}
    After the Teleri Scouts discover an enemy, these watchmen spread the alert along the coasts and towns of the Falathrim, and are the first to take up arms and shower the enemy with javelins. If that ain't enough to stop the enemy, they close in for melee with their spears. However, they can only stop the enemy for too long, since they carry no armor, only a light yet sturdy shield.
    {falas_coastwatch_descr_short}
    Teleri elves who carry javelins, spears and sturdy shields.
    ¬----------------
    {teleri_scout}Teleri Scouts
    {teleri_scout_descr}
    Teleri Scouts are quick and lightly armored cavalrymen who shower the enemy with javelins, ever retreating and fighting from the distance. They carry no armor and will be decimated in melee if they stay for too long.
    {teleri_scout_descr_short}
    Teleri Scouts are skirmisher cavalrymen, useful for harassing the flanks and running down fleeing enemies.
    ¬----------------
    {Teleri_Spear}Teleri Spearmen
    {Teleri_Spear_descr}
    The Teleri have organised battalions of deffenders armed with spears and shields to help protect their marvelous Havens when danger is upon them. They form the most numerous members of Cirdan's armies, yet while numerous they are lightly protected by their everyday clothes. However they are quick and agile, capable of moving in swiftly to cover whatever gaps may open in the battle-line. They are great as support units, but they won't hold for long against heavier armored troops due to their poor equipment.
    {Teleri_Spear_descr_short}
    Teleri spearmen carry round shields, spears, gambeson and a hardy heart.
    ¬----------------
    {falathrim_marine}Falathrim Marines
    {falathrim_marine_descr}
    Together with the Teleri spearmen, the Falathrim Marines form the backbone of the armies of the Falas. These marines are brave and hardy, and have some decent protection in the form of a heavy round shield, a helmet and a gambeson. They are a quick, hard striking force, capable of tackling much heavier foes with their shortswords. They are a surprisingly good light infantry.
    {falathrim_marine_descr_short}
    These elves carry shortswords, and decent yet light protection.
    ¬----------------
    {sindar_cavalry}Sindar Cavalry
    {sindar_cavalry_descr}
    These sindarin elves are cavalrymen who close in with their fast horses in a series of hit and run tactics using their swords, since they carry only light protection.
    {sindar_cavalry_descr_short}
    These cavalrymen carry only light protection.
    ¬----------------
    {brithombar_axemen}Brithombar Axemen
    {brithombar_axemen_descr}
    These elven Axemen protect the magnifiscent haven of Brithombar with great energy and discipline. They are among the few teleri armored enough to stand against the heavy infantry of Angband, unleashing their fury against the enemy bashing them with shields in front and axes high. They are superior soldiers who fight blessed by Utumno, the lord of the Seas.
    {brithombar_axemen_descr_short}
    Axemen protected by heavy scale mail, heater shields and helmets.
    ¬----------------
    {Light_teleri_archers}Light Teleri Archers
    {Light_teleri_archers_descr}
    A long time ago during the age of the Trees, Sindarin elves felt attracted to the sea and its beauty and settled down. There they inhabited peacefully for many years... yet in their hearts a great grief grew, as news came of the kingslaying of their relatives by the hotheaded Noldorin elves, who in their madness took by strength of arms all the teleri ships. The teleri fought bravely, but armed with only bows and short swords, faced against the heavily armored Noldor, were finally obliterated. Now long years have passed and the shadow in the North has grown strong. The Teleri must arm themselves once again with bow in hand, arrow in the other and shortswords and knives to face any who endures the whistling flight of the arrows. Bravely will they fight and die to deffend their fair homes by the sea...
    {Light_teleri_archers_descr_short}
    Swift archers who carry but a knife and their clothes for protection.
    ¬----------------
    {Sindar_archers}Sindar Archers
    {Sindar_archers_descr}
    Sindar Archers carry longbows and light, yet sturdy protection against missiles, but less useful against melee weapons.
    {Sindar_archers_descr_short}
    Sindar Archers carry longbows
    ¬----------------
    {falathrim_bowmen}Falathrim Bowmen
    {falathrim_bowmen_descr}
    These superior elven archers are armored with scale mail and tall helmets. The discipline and martial skill surpasses any of their foes and they let loose shower after shower of arrows, while being quite capable in close quarters.
    {falathrim_bowmen_descr_short}
    Falathrim bowmen carry scale mail.
    ¬----------------
    {Falathrim_Sailor}Falathrim Sailors
    {Falathrim_Sailor_descr}
    The Falathrim are used to hit and run tactics launched from the sea, by advancing fast in their ships unmatched and unopposed by any foe, they usually outflank their enemies and attack from unexpected positions. They take full advantage of their light armor, which hinders not from free movement, by taking the most favorable positions before enemies can reach them. Their light armor does hinder them in prolonged melee since they carry only a gambeson and helmet for protection. They don’t have the means to resist heavy infantry, but over confident troops will soon find a javelin through their chest. Falathrim Sailors pack some power in their charge, combined with their javelins; they can tear light troops apart quickly, and decimate heavy infantry before retreating to a much safer position.
    {Falathrim_Sailor_descr_short}
    Falathrim sailors are heavy skirmishers who carry javelins, shields and swords.
    ¬----------------

Faction strengths: Strong late units, strong archer support, fast units, many AP units.

Faction weaknesses: Few cavalry support, few armored units.

Overall: Although they might seem to be outclassed by the Noldor, Doriath & Melkor factions, they still have the means to survive a long campaign. AP is a common sight among the ranks of their infantry, and their spearmen are good enough to hold most enemies for a while. Their late units are top notch: Eglarest Guards can hold for a seemingly endless amount of time, and the Barad Nimras guards can kick heavy units with their halberds. The nobles are as good as the top tier Noldor units, but are better in melee thanks to their heater shields. They have a pair of good javelin units who can be extremely useful against monsters and armored units. They have good medium infantry who can pack a dent on heavy infantry with AP or javelins. Like most of the elves, they have many archers *one per each tier* to sort out both light and heavy infantry. The only area which feels lacking is in cavalry, they only have light scouts and sindar cavalry who aren't heavy enough to break the enemy in a thunderous charge, and are meant to guard the flanks instead and run down prisoners.

Still, good tactics will be needed to defeat the heavily armored armies of the Dark Lord, specially if these include evil creatures.
    Screenshots

Credits:

TATW team.
    Shredder for the elven models.
    glassakias for some models, encouragement & other stuff
    If I forget somebody please tell me!

PLEASE REMEMBER ALL IS WORK IN PROGRESS, THINGS MAY CHANGE BEFORE THE FINAL RELEASE. PLUS NOT ALL UNITS WERE REVEALED TO THE PUBLIC!

Haladin of Brethil
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Memory
    THE HALADIN OF BRETHIL

Although usually not usually involved in the conflicts of Beleriand, the Haladin of Brethil have a fascinating side story; having survived a very long journey from the eastern lands when reaching Beleriand, only to suffer bitterly and being almost wiped out by the orcs.

The Haladin of Brethil are a reclusive people who usually don't join wars, although they have fought many throughout their history, most have already been forgotten from when they dwelt on the East. They are not very warlike and prefer solitude instead. They live in households apart from each other, where an entire family and its many members reside. Many households join together to form pallisades to defend the area in case of great need. Otherwise the Haladin are known for enjoying solitude and peace. They won't risk open war against the orcs, and instead they keep to skirmishes around the borders of the forest. The Haladin were once once almost destroyed by orcs, and because of this very reason they hate them more than anything.

Their rulers are not numerous and are chosen by the people based on their skills, charisma, bravery, and their qualities for administration of the land. They are the only ones who can afford to equip themselves in armor, usually provided by other Edain traders from the north or from Doriath.
    In the forest of Brethil there's no standing professional army to withstand the hordes of orcs and evil creatures. Instead they rely on the personal retinue of the landowners, which might consist of a few armored troops, veterans from other conflicts, and local braves who choose to fight amongst them.
    Nonetheless they are brave and hardy and are blessed by increased morale. The warriors of the Haladin are unlikely to quit the fight, and are known for fighting to the end. Most of the lands are protected by forresters who combine the use of axes, bows, and spears to defend the borders. They might even be joined by the Druedain warriors, who are masterful ambushers as well.

Faction roster

(Advice: Some of the pictures are dark, but it's intended since they were taken in a forest)

The Haladin weren't deeply described by Tolkien in what types of weapons and armors were used by its warriors. Based on what little evidence there is, the faction roster is based mainly on the early germanic tribes. Armor is not prevalent but it's not totally absent. The primary weapon is the bow and the spear and axe for melee, supported by some swords and both light and heavy cavalry. I hope you see the progression of the shields and clothes, from dirty and pale browns on the background (low tiers) to some shiny reds and blues (elite).

Light Spearmen (Jav-Spearmen)
    Var1.- No clothes save for some pants, light spear, oval shield.
    Var2.- Shirts with long sleeves, light spear, oval shield.

Upgrade

Having recently migrated from far wilder and dangerous lands, the Haladin who followed lady Haleth west into the realm known as Brethil, are always on the lookout for problems. Be it against other tribes amongst themselves, or against the creatures of the dark Lord, these men are always ready for the next battle. They usually live in households apart from each other, but will quickly raise the alarm would their homes be threatened. For this they arm themselves with whatever weapons available, usually light spears and shields. Please be free to suggest better names as I don't have as good imagination for names as you do.

Light Archers:
    Var1.- No clothes save for some pants, bow, quiver, knife.
    Var2.- Shirts with long sleeves, bow, quiver, knife

Having recently migrated from far wilder and dangerous lands, the Haladin who followed lady Haleth west into the realm known as Brethil, are always on the lookout for problems. Be it against other tribes amongst themselves or against the creatures of the dark Lord, these men are always ready for the next battle. Being hunters, these men are not usually around their dwellings, but away looking for prey to return home. They have learned the mastery of ambush, and keeping quiet until the very last moment to unleash their arrows. They hunt in groups to cover their backs since many creatures roam the forests, and if caught alone, a man won't put too much of a fight. They use their skills for the defense of the tribe by shooting on top of the palisades which are built around the households of the tribe as defense. They switch their hunting bows for war bows when fighting in an open battle.

Forresters of Brethil
    These elite archers are quite a capable ranged support who can also fare well in melee.

These men represent an elite party of archers highly trained in the fine art of the marksmanship. They are quite capable of hitting any target with a precision rarely seen amongst the Edain. They are masters of hide & seek tactics, as well as making up the vanguard of the army in case of an open battle. They are capable of hiding almost everywhere, sometimes even crawling as not to be spotted before they unleash their deadly arrows. They have some light armor to fend against enemies, yet their greatest form of protection against harm is their stealth. Although trained for hand to hand combat, they're not really equipped for such a task and will be quickly overcome by a heavier force.

Wild Men of the Woods
    Drúedain who fight with a frightening ferocity using massive two handed axes.

Drúedain are low in stature but have seemingly endless endurance, they are described as stumpy, clumsy-limbed (with short, thick legs, and fat, "gnarled" arms), broad chests, fat bellies, and heavy buttocks. According to the Elves and other Men, they have "unlovely faces": wide, flat, and expressionless with deep-set black eyes that glow red when angered. They have "horny" brows, flat noses, wide mouths, and sparse, lank hair. The men standing before you are the so called Wild Men of the forest who keep to themselves and live a semi-nomadic life. It's said amongst the men of Brethil, their favorite sport is headhunting, orc headhunting to be precise. They are dangerous and impetuous men when angered, a frightening sight indeed. Although they are wild and dangerous, they don't have armor but their natural endurance and thick hides.

Drúedain Warriors
    Drúedain warriors carry clubs and round shields.

Drúedain are low in stature but have seemingly endless endurance, they are described as stumpy, clumsy-limbed (with short, thick legs, and fat, "gnarled" arms), broad chests, fat bellies, and heavy buttocks. According to the Elves and other Men, they have "unlovely faces": wide, flat, and expressionless with deep-set black eyes that glow red when angered. They have "horny" brows, flat noses, wide mouths, and sparse, lank hair. The men standing before you are the so called Wild Men of the forest who keep to themselves and live a semi-nomadic life. It's said amongst the men of Brethil, their favorite sport is headhunting, orc headhunting to be precise. They are dangerous and impetuous men when angered, a frightening sight indeed. Although they are wild and dangerous, they don't have armor but their natural endurance and thick hides.

Haladin Spearmen:

Upgrade

There is only so much a tribe of men can do against the seemingly countless waves of orcs at the disposal of the dark lord, but to resist together by forming a warband in a dense formation capable of resisting the onslaught of such a force. These men rely on their large shields for protection since they cannot afford much else, save for a helmet and perhaps some leather armor. They know that only their bravery will keep their households safe should they suffer an invasion from their enemies, enemies who almost always have better defensive gear than themselves, but who do not posses their will to be free and defend their people. The warband is the basic Haladin formation.

Riders (Light Cavalry):
    Var1.- No shirt, spear, oval shield.
    Var2.- Shirts and sleeves, spear, oval shield.
    Upg1.- Leather jacket, spear, oval shield, bronze helmet.
    Upg2.- Leather/bronze scale vest, spear, oval shield with iron boss, iron helmet.

Horses are not abundant in the forest of Brethil, and are mainly used for scouting or skirmishing against enemy incursions.

Forest Swordsmen (Swordsmen)
    Var1.- No shirt, sword, oval shield.
    Var2.- Shirts and sleeves, sword, oval shield.
    Upg1.- Leather jacket/gambeson, sword, oval shield, bronze helmet.
    Upg2.- Leather/bronze scale vest, sword, oval shield with iron boss, iron helmet.

Swords are almost a ritualistic weapon to the Haladin since they don't have access to the ore needed to forge such weapons in big quantities. They are granted only to those who have proven themselves as glorious members of the tribe, be it by their deeds in battle, deeds of extraordinary bravery, or servitude to the household of the noblemen. Before they join the fray they throw many projectiles to confuse and diminish their foes, such as stones, javelins, darts, and spears, until they rush forward and clash in arms. They have some light armor and helmets to fend against enemies, yet their greatest form of protection against harm are the large shields they have and the martial prowess they possess.

Household Guards (Heavy Spearmen)
    Var1.- Iron scale vest, spear, oval shield, iron helmet.
    Var2.- Chainmail vest, spear, oval shield, iron helmet.
    Upg1.- Gambeson/leather underneath, Chainmail vest on top, spear, oval shield, iron helmet.

These men are the guards of the Households of the nobles and have the best equipment amongst the ranks of the armies of the forest of Brethil. They march in a dense and disciplined formation, unbreakable from the front, although vulnerable from the side and rear. They are capable of making a shield wall formation to further increase their odds of survival against most foes.

Noblemen (Heavy Cavalry)
    Var1.- Bronze scale vest, sword, oval shield, bronze helmet.
    Var2.- Chainmail vest, sword, oval shield, bronze helmet.
    Upg1.- Gambeson/leather underneath, Chainmail vest on top, sword, oval shield, iron helmet.

Although they are not known for their cavalry, the finest amongst the Haladin of Breathil ride the stoutest horses available into battle. Ferocious and brave, they will lead the charge against the enemy for others to follow and wreak havoc amongst their ranks. These men are landowners who have served the family of Lady Haleth ever since she led them throughout many dangers into the West, until they settled in the forest of Brethil. These men use the finest armor available in the woodlands of Brethil, awarded by the elves after seeing their courage in battle: chainmail or scale vests, plus sturdy shields, swords, and steel helmets made by the greatest smiths in Brethil. They are the best warriors of the land, fearless and strongest of all. They can challenge a large creature and hope to survive in a head on fight. Amongst their ranks its rumored to have been born the one with the power to bring hope to Beleriand.

PROS: Many good spearmen, good ambushing skills, big shields.
    CONS: Ranged support, lack of cavalry, units are too defensive.

Notice:
    Most of these units might get a revamp later if needed, plus the faces might be adjusted.
    Credits:
    Absinthia for his Armory resource.

Gondolin
    "Gondobar am I called and Gondolindrimbar, City of Stone and City of the Dwellers in Stone; Gondolin the Stone of Song and Gwarethminas am I named, the Tower of the Guard, Thurigardh or the Secret Place".
    - The seven names of Gondolin as they were told to Tuor, the mortal son-in-law of Turgon.

In the land of Beleriand, within the Echoriath, the Encircling Mountains, lies a round level plain with sheer walls on all sides and a ravine and tunnel leading out to the southwest known as the Hidden Way. The location of the hidden valley of Tumladen was revealed to Turgon son of Fingolfin in a dream by the Vala Ulmo, Lord of Waters. In the fifty-third year of the First Age Turgon journeyed from his halls in Nevrast and found the vale, with the guidance of Ulmo. In the middle of this vale there is a steep hill which is called Amon Gwareth, the "Hill of Watching": it was here that Turgon decided to found his Hidden City, designed after the ancient city of Tirion in Valinor - which the Noldor had left when they rebelled against the Valar and went into exile - for it would be protected by the mountains and hidden from the eyes of the Dark Lord Morgoth.Turgon and his people built the city in secret, taking fifty-two years to complete. When the city was completed, in the year 116 of the First Age, Turgon took with him to dwell in the Hidden City his entire people in Nevrast, who secretly entered the valley of Tumladen. Turgon was recognized as King of the Hidden City, and he gave it the name Ondolindë, which is "The Rock of the Music of the Water" in Quenya, because of the fountains of Amon Gwareth; but in Sindarin it became known as Gondolin, the "Hidden Rock". After their arrival in the new city, the Gondolindrim continued to labour in its building, until it was said to rival even Tirion itself: its walls stand high and white above the plain, and its most prominent feature is the great Tower of the King, where, among the fountains, Turgon made Glingal and Belthil, trees of gold and silver made in memory of the Two Trees of Valinor. Great is the bliss and the beauty of Gondolin, and great is the wisdom of its people.
    Now the Hidden City slowly became wealthy and prosperous, concealed from friend and foe alike and guarded from trespassers by the Eagles of Thorondor, who had made their eyries on the Encircling Mountains on the bidding of Manwë; and the Elves of Gondolin have lived undisturbed by the events outside their fair city for more than three centuries, their days full of joy and peace.
    But now the times have changed; for Morgoth has recently broken the long Siege of Angband in the North, and the inevitable doom of the Noldor fell upon them. One winter's night, the fires of Angband destroyed the leaguer of the Noldor in the Dagor Bragollach, the "Battle of Sudden Flame"; and many valiant Elves and Men perished, their lands taken by the creatures of Morgoth. The vast green field of Ard-galen in the north was burnt, and it is now called Anfauglith, the "Gasping Dust". Dorthonion fell in the east, and in the west the tower of Finrod on Tol Sirion was captured by Sauron, lieutenant of Morgoth; and it is now known as Tol-in-Gaurhoth, the "Isle of Werewolves". Fingolfin, High King of the Noldor, rode alone in his wrath and despair to the very gates of Angband, and none dared to stop him; and he challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat, calling him a coward and a master of slaves; and Morgoth came. There Fingolfin died, most proud and valiant of the Elven-kings of old, and the High Kingship has now passed to his elder son Fingon, brother of Turgon of Gondolin. Dark and uncertain times lie ahead, and the people of the Hidden City must now prepare for whatever may come...

House of the King

Clad in bright mail forged by the master smiths of the Gondolindrim, these Elves are well protected from evil and harm. On their long shields either of the three emblems of Ondolindë are displayed: the golden Sun, the silver Moon, and the scarlet Heart of Fingolfin, the royal emblem of Turgon their King. The spears they wield are long and sharp, and none can stand against the mighty phalanx of the King of Gondolin; for they march in battle with their shields locked together, presenting a deadly forest of spears to the enemy, and they can easily break through the ranks of the Orcs of Morgoth. Yet their main task is not to fight; not because they lack in bravery or honour, but because the men of the House of the King are also the guard of the King, comprising his family and household, and they go where the King goes and stay where the King stays. Even when threatened by death they will stand their ground and protect their Lord caring naught for themselves, till the very End of the World or their own demise.

House of the Fountain

These are the folk of the House of the Fountain, one of the Twelve noble Houses of Gondolin, and their leader is Ecthelion of the Fountain, a valiant Elf-lord famed for his unrivaled skill in music among the Gondolindrim. Being true Noldor they enjoy silver and diamonds, whose glitter and colour brightens their garments in times of peace; yet in battle they go clad in the finest mail and armed with sharp and deadly blades, forged with secret techniques that only the smiths of Gondolin can master. They bear no shield for they wield heavy longswords with both hands, capable of cutting any Orc-chieftain in half no matter how thick his armour. They are the guard of the fountains of the city, primarily those of the King, and they are also the defenders of the seventh gate of Gondolin. Yet the folk of the Fountain are not only fearsome warriors: they are also musicians of great renown like Ecthelion their lord, and they always march into battle to the sweet sound of elven-flutes.
    House of the Golden Flower

Of all the great houses of Gondolin, the Elves of the House of the Golden Flower are the most fair and noble and wise, and they remember well the light of the Two Trees, Telperion and Laurelin; for they were born in Aman even before Melkor and Ungoliant brought darkness to the world by destroying the Trees of Valinor. For that and for all his evil deeds they harbour eternal hatred for Morgoth, the Black Enemy΄ and though there is no hope in their hearts of defeating Morgoth by force, they will not sit helplessly and do nothing as he corrupts the earth, marring all that was once fair and good. Led by Glorfindel with the golden hair, a mighty Elf-lord dearly loved by all the Gondolindrim, they go about dressed in garments as green as a field in spring, and their device is charged with a rayed sun, reminiscent of the golden flowers of Laurelin, the last of which was sent by the Valar into the sky as the Sun. And should the Hidden City ever be threatened, they will put on their tall helms and arm themselves with sturdy shields and bright mail and unforgiving swords, and march into battle prepared to fight to the last man; for they would gladly give their own lives for their lord.
    House of the White Wing

Trained in the arts of war and weaponry since childhood, the folk of the Wing are among the finest warriors Beleriand has ever known; for they have constantly been improving their skill at arms for more than three centuries since they left the Outer World and moved to Ondolindë, the City of the Seven Names. They are the stoutest of the King's men, and it has been prophesised that Turgon's heir will one day lead them in a glorious battle over their beloved city. And even though their numbers are small, still they are always prepared for that day, armed with bright long swords and clad in the finest mail the masterful smiths of Gondolin can fashion. Upon their tall helms they bear wings of swans and gulls, and the device of their shields is a swan-wing on a blue field. Each Elf of the noble House of the White Wing is ever ready for battle, eager to stand their ground without fear against any foul creature of Morgoth, be it an orc or a werewolf or a terrible demon of fire, to the very end in victory or death.

House of the Hammer of Wrath

Centuries of hard labour have strengthened the arms of these Elves, allowing them to march in battle wielding heavy maces with deadly force, crushing armour and bones and beating upon helm and head, as if hewing the hot bending iron on the anvil. They carry large shields for protection, outweighing an entire suit of armour; and yet they wear even heavier mail than their kin, making them almost impervious to all harm. Their emblem is the stricken anvil, yet their shields show a hammer that smiteth sparks about it. They have mastered the arts of Aulë, and red gold and black iron is their delight. Their leader is Enerdhil the master smith, second in valour to Galdor of the Tree, and mightiest of all Elves who ever walked the earth save Fingolfin himself. As their bodies are the strongest, so their hearts are also the bravest among the Noldor, for many of them were once thralls in the dungeons of Angband, and having endured both pain and death they now fear neither one or the other. No army of Morgoth has ever managed to stand their ground against the House of the Hammer of Wrath, the largest and most valiant house of Gondolin; for their thunderous charge is swift and deadly like the wrath of Tulkas.
    House of the Heavently Arch

Of all the noble Houses of Gondolin the Elves of Egalmoth's house are the wealthiest and enjoy riches and jewels and gold. They wear shiny silver mail of the finest quality, and on their tall helms is set a large opal. Their shields are sky-blue like the heavens on a sunny day, showing in the centre a jewel built of seven gems: ruby, amethyst, sapphire, emerald, chrysoprase, topaz and amber: the colours of the rainbow; for indeed, what is the Heavenly Arch more than a reference to the rainbow? They are well-trained in battle and warfare, and they are among the most skilled warriors of the Hidden City, having mastered both the art of the sword and the bow; yet their hearts lie in the swiftness of the bow rather than the might of the sword. Some of the finest archers of Gondolin hail from the House of the Heavenly Arch, and it is said that they can shoot an arrow farther and higher than any other Elf or Man; and it is their task to defend the walls of Gondolin by raining arrows upon any foe foolish enough to get within range of their powerful longbows.
    House of the Swallow

It is rare for heraldry to represent a house as truly as in the case of the House of the Swallow: for it is said that the swallow is reminiscent of an arrow flying swiftly through the air with speed and grace and always finding its mark. They are the finest archers of Gondolin, and their lord and captain is Duilin the master archer, swiftest of all Elves to run and leap. The folk of the Swallow carry powerful longbows and elven-blades in battle, dressed in white and dark blue and in purple and black. They will blot out the sun with volleys of sharp and deadly arrows to defend their beloved city, pouring arrows like the dark rains of autumn; yet when the enemy draws near and their arrows are spent, they will not hesitate to draw their bright swords and join their kin below the walls and fight to the last breath for the beauty of Ondolindë.

House of the Tree

The Elves of the House of the Tree guard the western entrance to the Arch of Ingwë day and night. Their lord and captain is Galdor, a Noldorin Elf who has led them in countless charges against the foul creatures of Morgoth, and he is seen as the most valiant of the Gondolindrim save Turgon alone; yet his men, the Folk of the Tree, do not lack in valour or bravery either, and they will be among the first to throw themselves into the fray. Like all warriors of the Hidden City, when called to arms they equip themselves with fine coats of mail forged by the masterful craftsmen of Gondolin – some of the finest mail ever made in both Aman and Middle-earth. In battle they bring swift slings and iron-studded clubs, and they carry sturdy wooden shields on which the Tree is displayed as the heraldry of their noble house; and they bear no helm. Though the lack of heavy armour makes them more vulnerable to harm than their kin, it also makes them excellent light support infantry, able to cross the battlefield swiftly and strike hard and fast where the enemy is weaker.

Apart from the houses shown in this preview, Gondolin will also have an army of seven divisions as described in the Unfinished Tales.

Credits:
    J.R.R. Tolkien for the inspiration,
    Squeaks for the units,
    JorisofHolland and Ellin Athinaios for the descriptions.

And of course King Kong and the entire TATW team for making this possible!

Easterlings
    Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=#452F21
    Earl of Memory[/COLOR]]FACTION PREVIEW:
    THE EASTERLINGS OF
    THE HOUSE OF BOR & ULFANG

Faction intro:

We're a people on the move. When our fathers awoke long ago in the far East, a shadow and a curse ensnared them from the North. They had to endure many hardships and bitter days. They learned not to reside for long in the same place, since the lands were dangerous and full of peril. As the numbers began to swell, and some amongst our fathers gained followers for their abilities to lead and protect the people, the tribes started to split. Tension grew amongst our fathers and uncles due to the scarce resources which had to be shared. Then a shadowy visitor who presented himself as The Creator arrived and began to teach us the labor of the land, the house building, and the smith of weapons and of war. Our fathers felt a shadow in their hearts but accepted the gifts without question. Then the conflict started.

There is no song or tale which tells the motive or the time when this started, but one thing is clear: it all started during the night. The wolves and other horrible creatures started to attack our lands. We had to flee away from the onslaught. We found other men who suffered the same, and we joined with them and some of our leaders followed their leaders. They bred a race of wolves and tamed them until they became docile and loyal. Hounds we called them. These hounds protected us against the wolves, while many amongst us had become warriors who fought against the creatures of the night.
    Other men who sided with the creatures desired our lands, and during the battles that ensued two leaders raised to protected us against them. We became a confederation of tribes lead by two Chieftains of equal power.

That was a long time ago, but a gain a shadow from the North came and whispered secrets and malice, and so our rulers began to understand the bitter world. Some started to suspect of others and their deeds, some started to gather as many followers as they could muster to wage war, but some resisted the shadow and remained untainted. Already tension between the tribes had begun to increase, when we heard rumors of a blessed land located West. We followed the rumors and arrived into a land where time seemed to flow more slowly. Not all of us arrived at the same time, half of our forces delayed asdoubts and fear surrounded them. We found a land where great lords had constructed magnificent households which we had never seen before.

(House of Ulfang version)
    I was too impressed to say a word, and the lords of the West, as I started calling them, offered us some lands. Although my people was protected, more than we had been before, I soon found out the reasonbehind the offering. As soon as I had found out the reason, a shadow invaded my heart. I felt betrayed by them! Attempting to use us as a bait to guard their seemingly fair, but tainted lands was a mockery of our hardships. I will not trust them to keep their words. I know they will not hold to their oaths... They will abandon us on the frontline to face slaughter. I must not let this happen... for the good of my people.

(House of Bor version)
    As soon as our people crossed into this land which the locals called Beleriand, I felt we had finally found a place to reside. I swore allegiance to the lords of the West, as both Ulfang and me had begun to call them. In exchange I gained lands for my people, and in return we would get protection. I was too impressed by the wealth of these lords, and wished to serve them. The shadow was lifted from my heart, and from many amongst my followers.I am now convinced there is only one way to free us from the threat of the shadow in the north: to face it head on... else we face hardships... we faceannihilation...

Tribal Organization
    The Easterlings are quite different from the Elves and other men in both appearance and organization. They're organized and ruled by family heads, chiefs, and chieftains with varying powers.
    Any man born
    inside the chieftain's territory belongs to a Family. Families live together in tents and are ruled by a Family Head. Every manis a free man once reached the adulthood as long as he's recognized as an adult by the Family Head. He's free to travel within the borders of his tribe. He must ask for permission to travel beyond those borders, under pain of being arrested and taken away to explain the deed. A tribe is ruled by a Chief and consists of multiple families. The Chief needs the support of the Family Heads to supply him with warriors in the event of war.

Chieftains rule a collection of tribes and have a similar relationship with the Chiefs. The Chieftains that rule larger confederations (Tribal Chieftains) are more powerful than those that rule just a small confederacy (Lesser Chieftains). The High Chieftain is the supreme ruler of these and issues his orders to the Chieftains, who in return pass them on to the Chiefs, and downwards to the Family Heads.

In an emergency situation, the High Chieftain's power is absolute, but the Chieftains can resist him when they feel there is no need to act.A High Chieftain is elected by the Chieftains for live. A general will start as a family head and as he climbs the tribal ladder, gains Authority (more likely to be elected High Chieftain) and lose loyalty to the Hi
    gh Chieftain for seeking power for his own. Those chieftains loyal to the High Chieftain will get different traits, power positions, and ancillaries than the ones who're disloyal. Disloyal chieftains will often band together to balance the seat of power.

Buildings

Based on the tribal organization, the Easterlings will have access to different buildings which reflect their way of livelihood.
    Chiefs Residence
    The chief's residence family of buildings make up the residence of the landowners. Here you'll be able to gain authority, issue law, and overall maintenance of the public order. The more powerful the chieftain, the better warriors they'll be able to muster.

Lesser Nobles Households>
    The nobles are the landowners, but they also issue laws, which need to be enforced by somebody, usually the bodyguards of these nobles or other able men. They are powerful, but not very numerous, so the main power still remains in the gross of the population. Not building this structure in a settlement causes unrest and negative traits, since nobles need somewhere to reside! They finance the machine of war as well. They might attract some men to work, which they finance themselves.

War Chief Halls>
    These nobles are richer and more powerful than the lesser nobles, they keep a larger retinue of warriors as well. They are rich enough to trade in and maintain horses. They are somewhat famous and attract more followers as well.

Lesser Chieftain Households>
    The chieftains hold the majority of the power, and they keep professional troops among their ranks. They are famous and powerful as well, so they attract many followers, which they finance.

Tribal Chieftain Households>
    These are the most powerful and wealthiest men amongst the Easterling tribes. They control the political affairs of the tribes, as well as vast lands. They have many followers as well, ready to serve them in exchange of a variety of things.

House of Ulfang/Bor Halls> The High Chieftains’ halls, the highest amongst the higher nobles reside here and control the fates of the whole tribes. They are of course extremely wealthy and powerful, and as such they have the most followers.

Trade Caravan Stops

Many amongst the easterlings are masterful merchants and traders of fine goods, and being semi-nomadic or having been so, they form up caravans to shop for goods.

Small trade caravan post>
    Unprotected and unarmored, sadly the vast majority of the traders belong in small caravan posts. They increase trade whenever they can survive the long journeys.

Trade Caravan post>
    Larger trade caravans might go further East and bring goods and wealth, which can be taxed. The numerous merchants pay for the services of a few mercenaries, which a local lord might take advantage of.

Large Trade Caravan>
    These are bigger caravans; most kinds of exotic goods can be found here, brought from Eastern lands. Experienced warriors might be found here, usually hired to protect the caravans against raids, and might offer their services for the right price. They take time to establish however.

Huge Trade Caravan>
    Some of the biggest caravans in Beleriand, they are like moving towns, harassed constantly by raiders, brigands, orcs and other evil creatures. Many exotic goods from the East can be found here, as well as experienced and exotic warriors and mercenaries. They take much time to establish.

Massive Trade Caravans>
    These caravans dominate the trade routes traveling from both Beleriand and the Eastern lands. They are like small moving cities where all kinds of goods can be found. Only organized raiders, large creatures and large numbers of orcs might disperse the massive caravans defended by experienced mercenaries and warriors. Local lords and chieftains might hire some of these mercenaries for the right price. Much time must pass before massive trade caravans gain enough numbers and establish relatively safe trade routes.

Cattle and Sheep
    Many amongst the Easterlings are semi nomads who are used to tend to their shepherds and cattle, since the lands they come from are not able to produce the crops needed to feed a large population.

Shepherds.

Most of the Easterlings tend to their sheep and cattle, since they are constantly on the move, their main maintenance resources must be mobile as well. They would establish farms whenever possible as well however. +1 to recruit pool of Muster halls units.

Cattle farmers
    Cattle isn’t as mobile as sheep, and needs much more space, but provides the tribes with more resources to feed, trade, and leather for armor.

Large cattle farmers.
    Well established and protected cattle farms are needed for a steady population growth. This increases happiness as well. These men are used to fighting off raids from orcs and other men.

Muster Halls.
    This is where the warriors and tribal levies muster before banding together to join the war.

Mustering Hall
    Town Muster Huts>
    This is where locals are recruited, usually to deal with tribal affairs.

Muster Hall>
    A larger place to muster warriors.

Muster Fort>
    Forts are usually built alongside the borders of the tribes to keep strangers from entering, or holding the locals from leaving.

Muster Complex>
    Men are drilled with basic formations once a year, which increases their performance in battle.

Battlefield Banners
    The members of the House of Ulfang use the mythical wolf as a device.

The members of the House of Bor use the hound as a device, now influenced by the colors of the house of Maedhros.

FACTION ROSTER
    The factions will share a new system of buildings. Basically units are recruited like this:

Tribal levies will be recruited from a mustering hall-building.

Professional troops will be recruited from the Chiefs Residence.
    Mercenaries from further east from trade caravan stops.

Tribal Levies:

Clan warriors

Tribesmen

Clansmen

Clan Hunters

Easterling Regulars:

Clan Warband

Upgrade

Eastland Spearmen

Eastland Archers

Landowners:

Household Swordsmen

Upgrade

Household Horsemen

Chieftain Guards

Upgrade

Elite:

Soldiers of Bor

Soldiers of Ulfang

Champions

Mercenaries:

Steppe Archers

Steppe Riders
    Ready for melee

Barbarian Spearmen

Barbarian Axemen

Barbarian Horsemen

Strengths:

A strong mix of different unit types.

Weaknesses:

Overall lack of discipline. Lack of a strong AP unit.

Credits:

Rusichi: Total War for models, bodies, helmets, textures, etc.
    Absinthia for some textures, shields, weapons from The Armoury
    Taro_M for some stuff such as shield straps.

Map pics
    Quote Originally Posted by JorisofHolland View Post
    \

note that these are outdated versions, the map is almost finished

Some doriath pics reuploaded (click to enlarge)

there are a couple more factions done by Earl, but they are still in WIP state, so i'm not posting them.
    as you can see, alreadyded didn't exaggerate when he said the mod is mostly finished. there is enough material for a more than decent Alpha, it just needs putting together. i hope this garners interest enough to convince some people to revive the mod

PS1. i was surprised myself to see how many factions are actually finished. the sheer amount of work done by Earl of Memory is overwhelming. this guy is awesome. rep him at first sight boys!
    PS2. there are about 100 pictures in there so it may take a while to load. sorry for that

, this mod really deserves to be finished, it would be really really a shame otherwise.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

assurbanippal's Avatar Biarchus

Great review, i wish it to see the light at some point

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Page-48/page48

Manus supra idolum age primum et septimum de QuatuoR

Cmon guys this mod really needs to get finished
    All we need is a mod for every age, then there wont be any need to go outside anymore

Coming ?

Nah im staying.

Edit: All the modders that worked on this surely deserves to get repped.

Great review!!! the haladin concepts are very original (different from how i did made them)

They really are similar. Your Doriath units are pretty great and really inspired Milner when making our units (I think he even "borrow" some of the shield designs ).
    on a side note, @Nelduin, your own mod seems very promising. the doriath faction really looks a lot like our own and i feel flattered by the fact my work might have been an inspiration for anyone whatsoever. i wish you and your team best of luck
    Yes, that's true, 80-85% of the Doriath's concepts are from War of Silmarils (after asking for permission and speak a few with Earl of Memory). So i only can say, many thanks...and you are on the credits of our mod, of course .

I'll hope you take again the project...is something really needed to Tolkien's fans/supporters and player of Third Age TW. If you need something from Silmarillion TW (models, info, 2D Art, script and codding guides or help...) contact with any of us (Nelduin, Bercor or myself -the team boy of the coffees-), will be a pleasure help you.

Stop talking and get my coffee, Milner!

Perhaps Ngugi (after Last Alliance) and/or King Kong and their teams would be willing to help complete this mod with any original team members that have time to do so? I am so impressed with the work so far, especially the Gondolindrim models.

Map is looking great, if you are able to finish the last 2% in the north that would be amazing. Can't wait to see Hithlum and Angband.

what about melkor? has any progress been made on the evil factions besides the easterlings? just curious as i read that this is a dead mod. shame really since this looks damn sweet so far (well cept for some of the early models cant say im a fan of for example the dreudain)