Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Meneth's Systems #1

Default Re: [PREVIEW]Meneth's Systems

Concerning the average life expectancy:

I took a class on medieval Europe, and the professor had written his own books on the subject matter. One of the main issues he had with "mainstream" history was that it failed to distinguish between what health was like in medieval towns and cities, compared to villages and farms. Anyway, his main point on that was that in reality, the terrible hygiene in cities and large towns would indeed lower life expectancy, but that was normally only so for the common man. Also, people in towns, villages, farms, etc. did really live pretty healthy lives, barring the onset of plagues, injuries and death in childbirth. I fact, just because we "live longer" today does not mean we are any healthier. When you take in to account that an apple from 100 years ago had 20 times the amount of nutrients of one today, and you expound that to all agricultural products, you find that people had access to better food in the past. We just have better medicine and antibiotics, but being alive is not the same as being healthy. Ask the average modern North American to put on armor and fight a battle at 55 years of age. I think we can all imagine the results.

The point is, a script that kills people off between the ages of 30-50 would not be very historical.

awesome and I like all the stuff u made +rep

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

Quote Originally Posted by Annatar View Post
    Concerning the average life expectancy:

I took a class on medieval Europe, and the professor had written his own books on the subject matter. One of the main issues he had with "mainstream" history was that it failed to distinguish between what health was like in medieval towns and cities, compared to villages and farms. Anyway, his main point on that was that in reality, the terrible hygiene in cities and large towns would indeed lower life expectancy, but that was normally only so for the common man. Also, people in towns, villages, farms, etc. did really live pretty healthy lives, barring the onset of plagues, injuries and death in childbirth. I fact, just because we "live longer" today does not mean we are any healthier. When you take in to account that an apple from 100 years ago had 20 times the amount of nutrients of one today, and you expound that to all agricultural products, you find that people had access to better food in the past. We just have better medicine and antibiotics, but being alive is not the same as being healthy. Ask the average modern North American to put on armor and fight a battle at 55 years of age. I think we can all imagine the results.

The point is, a script that kills people off between the ages of 30-50 would not be very historical.
    According to our research (please ask Hross or something for specifics. I'm not a researcher, I only implement stuff), old age would be pretty debilitating in the Medieval age, and average life expectancy was around 50.
    Due to game limitations, the chance of dying at 20 would be the same as of dying at 70.

Domesticus
    Artifex

One word - respect.
    +rep

~Goofy

Hereje's Avatar Artifex

well done!

Libertus

very nice!

cedric37's Avatar Why Not ?!
    Patrician Citizen

Awesome ideas and stuff

+rep
    Patronized by y2day/Patron of KDK, Swagger & Navajo Joe, of the Imperial House of Hader

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Annatar View Post
    It doesn't, it makes natural death possible between those ages which is historical and which hasn't been done in any other mod. Are you seriously saying that because they ate organic food they didn't die younger? Grave finds and historical documents -especially concerning the lives of the nobility all clearly state that life expentancy was much lower than today. Men could easily die of wounds from battle, women in childbirth. The range of diseases which don't exist now were prolific and lethal - and even for basic issues like a rotten tooth could lead to serious health problems- even if it was chiselled out -without anaesthetic, since hygiene was non-existent. If you had an infection in your leg, they would saw it off. Nobility suffered from leprosy, gout and all sorts. Viruses and ailments were often treated with bloodletting.... It doesn't take a genius to work out that our script is grounded in history and realism.

People seem to be scared of the realism here, but you get your generals at the age of 5, they become active at 20 (which is when by law knights were due military service) and can potentially die from then on in adulthood. The fact is that factions will have HUGE starting populations of accurate generals and characters, so there will be no danger of worrying about a few generals dying before 40.

If you want something more cosey- there's always Stainless Steel.
    Last edited by Hengest; March 07, 2011 at 12:32 PM.

Alexandros I.'s Avatar Ordinarius

Excellent concepts! +rep

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    People seem to be scared of the realism here
    I was actually up all last night with anxiety just thinking about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

-Duke Nukem's Avatar Civis
    Place where all a$$kickers are.......a STRIP club!(the place where i usualy are)

I got one word: GROOVY!
    Come get some!
    Duke Nukem Forever(it realy took forever): (10th June 2011)
    RTR VII GC: April,May,June,July,Julii,August,September...when?
    Welcome to "Cool's-Ville", Population: ME
    When you open a can of Whoop-Ass,I jump out....so beawere!

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

I really liked these features. They are very realistic. I just need to make a correction. Lepra is not an std (sexual transmitted disease).

Very nice, looking forward to this. Like the Ivanhoe movie, interesting bit of trivia, that scene was shot in Doune castle where they also filmed Monty python & the Holy Grail. "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberies!"

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Yepp but some earlier potential outbreaks of STDs were wrongly diagnosed as lepra-
    wiki: Lobdell and Owsley wrote that a European writer who recorded an outbreak of "lepra" in 1303 was "clearly describing syphilis."

Glad you liked the cinematic- no one seems to have commented on it. Maybe they don't get that it will be a pop-up, in game

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

It's a great clip. I only figured out that it would appear in game after watching it in youtube rather then the embedded video. Maybe someone should add that info to the post...
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

Aren't almost all films with a medieval setting historical inaccurate? Since the mod is all about historical accuracy, or at least as much as possible wouldn't that mean that many of the in-game cinematics would be very inconsistent because the low number of 'reliable' films means you have to scrap clips together?

It's just a question, I don't know much about it so I could be totally wrong.

\Vazul's Ghost/'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    From the OP: "In-game cinematic pop-up for the Duel event"
    OK sorry I must be blind.
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν ~ μηδὲν ἄγαν

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast