Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Son of X (SoX) 1.0 for SS6.3

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

Default Son of X (SoX) 1.0 for SS6.3

Included in the Compilation
    Features
    Gives all characters adopted or married into the royal family a trait signifying what line of work their parents had, with some effects based on that.
    Traits:

• Son of a Farmer
    • Son of a Craftsman
    • Son of a Trader
    • Son of a Soldier
    • Son of a Noble
    • Orphan

Installation

1. Un-zip into your SS6.3 folder
    2. Run the new SMM included

Credits

• Bane, for inspiration, ideas, and feedback
    • Gracul for the new SMM

Paladin94610's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [WIP]Son of X (SoX)

Meneth. Oh Meneth.... Ohhhhh Meneth. You are such a submod machine gun.
    Keep up the good work.
    Formerly Iberia Auxilia

Overlord.ru's Avatar Centenarius
    Russian Federation, Moscow Region, Town of Electrostal

Looking forward

If anyone has more ideas for people one can be a son of, or effects of the current traits, please post them.

Orphan?

How did I not think of that? *Facepalm*
    Any ideas for effects it could have? +rep for the suggestion, it'll be in in 1.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    How did I not think of that? *Facepalm*
    Any ideas for effects it could have? +rep for the suggestion, it'll be in in 1.0.
    Umm... So the orphan could be introverted, so maybe minus morale? Actually, maybe the orphan learned to be self-sufficient, so +security and something? Also, who respects a guy with no parents?

Other ideas:

Son of an Armorer
    Son of a Carpenter/Architect/Stonecarver
    Son of a Sailor/Shipwright/Navigator
    Son of a Pirate (that's be cool)
    Son of an Assassin
    Son of a Spy/Innkeeper
    Son of a Priest (hey, it happened)
    Son of a Diplomat
    Son of an Artist
    Son of a Brewer
    Son of a Doctor/Physician

I think that might be overdoing it. At least for 1.0.
    Several of those are already covered by "craftsman" and "trader"
    Maybe I'll implement some of them in 1.1, though.
    Also, there's not all that many variables one can change, so most of those would be almost identical in effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    I think that might be overdoing it. At least for 1.0.
    Several of those are already covered by "craftsman" and "trader"
    Maybe I'll implement some of them in 1.1, though.
    Also, there's not all that many variables one can change, so most of those would be almost identical in effect.
    No, I realize. I just try to mask the fact that my ideas are silly by having a lot of them.

... Who respects a guy with no parents? ... Dude. Some people didn't have parents...

Deciphering The Zodiac - Check It Out!

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Raised by the Wolfs
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

If I added anything like that, it'd only trigger like 0.25% of the time

why not though sort of like a rare joke trait

"This man was thrown away as a baby and somehow walked out of the mountains a grown man with a pack of wolfs in years later, don't ask how that happened!"

+3 dread, -10% trade , +1 command +5% movement rate (animal instincts!)

pagan

+3 dread -10% trade +1 command +5% movement rate +2 moral for troops +2 popularity
    Last edited by RollingWave; November 16, 2010 at 02:37 AM.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

a more serious suggestion though, illegit child should almost definately be in, as there were alot of them and many played major roles in the history of many factions....

"We know who the father of this child is... but the mother isn't who it's suppose to be.... , though that he's still here is a testimony of his ability to surive."

-2 loyalties -1 popularity -1 piety +1 HP +2 security against assasinations

That would, however, be a separate trait.
    It already exists for non-adoption, but I could probably make it happen at times for adopted characters, or make a separate trait for adopted characters (since the effects and description of the royal trait might not be appropriate for adopted characters)
    Have some rep.

TwinBird's Avatar Civis

Son of a (insert different religion)
    Btw, will this also apply to princesses marrying into the royal family, as Daughter of....

Princesses marrying into the family are always the daughters of some royal family, so the SoX system wouldn't work.
    And they can't have any traits after marriage, anyway.

Oustanding news.

I'm a huge fan of your work and would love to assist as a beta tester if needed.

Great idea with this one.

I think instead of using traits like Son of xyz one should use like:-

Blood of a xyz etc as like son of noble can become a knight and general etc which sounds feasible but son of a blacksmith? medieval times didn't worked like that, becoming a general or attaining the title of a knight was pain in ass and wasn't easy.
    It took like 2-3 generations for a normal family to reach such levels.

Now there were 3 ways how a guy ended up as a knight in medieval times:-
    • Son of a noble:-
      When a boy was eight years old, he was sent to the neighboring castle where he was trained as a page. The boy was usually the son of a knight or of a member of the aristocracy. He spent most of his time strengthening his body, wrestling and riding horses. He also learned how to fight with a spear and a sword. He practiced against a wooden dummie called a quintain. It was essentially a heavy sack or dummie in the form of a human. It was hung on a wooden pole along with a shield. The young page had to hit the shield in its center. When hit, the whole structure would spin around and around. The page had to maneuver away quickly without getting hit. The young man was also taught more civilized topics. He would be taught to read and write by a schoolmaster. He could also be taught some Latin and French. The lady of the castle taught the page to sing and dance and how to behave in the king’s court.

At the age of fifteen or sixteen, a boy became a squire in service to a knight. His duties included dressing the knight in the morning, serving all of the knight’s meals, caring for the knight’s horse, and cleaning the knight’s armor and weapons. He followed the knight to tournaments and assisted his lord on the battlefield. A squire also prepared himself by learning how to handle a sword and lance while wearing forty pounds of armor and riding a horse. When he was about twenty, a squire could become a knight after proving himself worthy. A lord would agree to knight him in a dubbing ceremony. The night before the ceremony, the squire would dress in a white tunic and red robes. He would then fast and pray all night for the purification of his soul. The chaplain would bless the future knight's sword and then lay it on the chapel or church's altar. Before dawn, he took a bath to show that he was pure, and he dressed in his best clothes. When dawn came, the priest would hear the young man's confession, a Catholic contrition rite. The squire would then eat breakfast. Soon the dubbing ceremony began. The outdoor ceremony took place in front of family, friends, and nobility. The squire knelt in front of the lord, who tapped the squire lightly on each shoulder with his sword and proclaimed him a knight. This was symbolic of what occurred in earlier times. In the earlier middle ages, the person doing the dubbing would actually hit the squire forcefully, knocking him over. After the dubbing, a great feast followed with music and dancing.
    • 2 Exceptions:-
      A young man could also become a knight for valor in combat after a battle or sometimes before a battle to help him gain courage. In game terms a normal foot soldier.
    So if the sub mod is made including this theory i think it will sound more feasible and good.
    Just a thought.

Well, it'd be quite possible to change the distribution so that more even more characters get "son of a noble"
    Currently, around 30% get that, and around 25-30% get "son of a soldier", so there's not really that many characters who get farmer, trader, orphan, or craftsman.
    Maybe if I got "son of a noble" up to about 35-40% of all adopted characters?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast