Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Devastation and ageing script

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

Default Re: Devastation and ageing script

Quote Originally Posted by agc28 View Post
    Please help!

I accidentally removed the ageing script and backed up only the file that has the script removed. Can somebody please copy and paste unmodified ageing script for me? (If you don't mind, can you also include a few lines from the preceding and the succeeding scripts? I don't want to accidentally mess up the spacing, which can cause problems)
    Code:
        console_command add_money -50
            historic_event sack_player
    end_monitor

;=================== AGEING SCRIPT ======================
    declare_counter season
    monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
        inc_counter season 1
        if I_CompareCounter season == 1
            console_command season summer
        end_if;

if I_CompareCounter season == 2
            console_command season winter
            set_counter season 0
        end_if
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionType slave
        console_command season winter
    end_monitor

;=================== CHURCH TITLES ======================
    declare_counter bishop_count
    declare_counter patriarch_count

Quote Originally Posted by Wismer View Post
    The devastation bug, while annoying, is not game breaking. While it definitely decreases your income by a measurable amount, the AI factions also become affected by this. I know that money means little to AI, but it's an extra handicap for the player since the odds are so incredibly stacked against the AI.
    It is gamebreaking.
    Any campaign that goes on for more than 100 turns quickly becomes hard to enjoy since you are likely to loose hundreds of denars from a city every turn because of a few spear militia standing on a spot in your territory. Enjoy being unable to pay upkeep for the very-late units. Not to mention Constantinopole may as well generate less money that Durazzo if you keep up devastating the region. It also isnt historical since regions could and have recovered from pillaging intruders.
    If you like increasing the odds for the AI you might as well just give them huge in-battle bonuses and there you go! This further promotes the boring, AI-rape rush scenario as well.
    Difficulty and challenge cant be made through annoying, broken, unfair mechanics while blaming it on the AI.

Personally, I find it very surprising that the ageing script even made it into the game if this bug was noticed.
    Its like the typical streotype of "playing for 30 turns and then getting bored and starting again, playing something else" is entirely, saddeningly true.
    Just think about how many people have truly enjoyed the 15th/16th century in the game - far, far too few and bugs of this sort discourage players even further to play on and not just "restart".
    Last edited by Fraemi; September 12, 2010 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraemi View Post
    It is gamebreaking.
    Any campaign that goes on for more than 100 turns quickly becomes hard to enjoy since you are likely to loose hundreds of denars from a city every turn because of a few spear militia standing on a spot in your territory. Enjoy being unable to pay upkeep for the very-late units. Not to mention Constantinopole may as well generate less money that Durazzo if you keep up devastating the region. It also isnt historical since regions could and have recovered from pillaging intruders.
    If you like increasing the odds for the AI you might as well just give them huge in-battle bonuses and there you go! This further promotes the boring, AI-rape rush scenario as well.
    Difficulty and challenge cant be made through annoying, broken, unfair mechanics while blaming it on the AI.

Personally, I find it very surprising that the ageing script even made it into the game if this bug was noticed.
    Its like the typical streotype of "playing for 30 turns and then getting bored and starting again, playing something else" is entirely, saddeningly true.
    Just think about how many people have truly enjoyed the 15th/16th century in the game - far, far too few and bugs of this sort discourage players even further to play on and not just "restart".
    Since you seem to like long games, and despise the devastation bug, why not download the 2 TPY Project? Devastation works properly, and there's twice as many turns.

Thanks Meneth.

The problem I see with 2TPY is that there are too many turns. I typically conquer half of the known world within 70-80 turns in early campaign (I usually play Hungary). I actually wish we could have 2YPT. That way I can at least see some high units before I win the campaign. I honestly have never seen late units when I play. And I play on VH/VH.

By the way, does the Crusader states have a royal familiy tree now? They used to not have princesses and couldn't have marriage alliances.

Quote Originally Posted by agc28 View Post
    Thanks Meneth.

The problem I see with 2TPY is that there are too many turns. I typically conquer half of the known world within 70-80 turns in early campaign (I usually play Hungary). I actually wish we could have 2YPT. That way I can at least see some high units before I win the campaign. I honestly have never seen late units when I play. And I play on VH/VH.

By the way, does the Crusader states have a royal familiy tree now? They used to not have princesses and couldn't have marriage alliances.
    With my 2 TPY Project, growth, building times and recruitment refill times have been slowed down, so a game lasts longer. Also, one has to conserve one's units more, as it takes longer to get new ones.
    It's included in the Compilation (link in my signature), or can be downloaded separately here.

strife1013's Avatar Campidoctor

I'm tempted to try this, so characters age one year every two years. How does it work in game? Does 2 turns only count as one year in game?

ninja51's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Wrain View Post
    Can i remove devastation by editing the descr_campaign_db.xml?
    By removing the following line ?

<fort_devastation_distance uint="20"/>
    <army_devastation_distance uint="20"/>
    <fort_devastation_modifier float="1.0"/>
    <army_devastation_modifier float="1.0"/>

I like the aging script and the 1 turn per year campaign and i prefer to remove the devastation instead of having character living 2x the years.

And on a side note i usually get rid of any rebel on my territories as soon as i see them.

Just do exactly what he says and you wont have to worry about it at all. This method removes devestation completely, but thats much better than having it never go away. I set it all to zero and its been working like a charm in my new campaign.

Default How do I stop invincible devastation?

The devastation in my campaign never goes away. I've played two campaigns and seen devastation last 80 years with no reduction. Is there anyway to fix this?

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: How do I stop invincible devastation?

please do a search - this subject has been discussed several times already

Default Re: How do I stop invincible devastation?

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post
    please do a search - this subject has been discussed several times already
    Even in a topic right on the first page. Merged.

I installed the mod that was meant to fix the problem. The problem didn't go away so I wanted some new ideas on how to tackle the problem. No need to jump down my throat when I'm asking for help. 2 years progress and something like this is still a problem haha

Did you start a new campaign? Changes to the campaign script, in this case removing the aging script, will only take effect in a new game.

This is my first post, so hello everyone.
    To remove devastation I need to delete this lines in descr_campaign_db.xml

but in Medieval folder i have 7 descr_campaign_db.xml files:

Which one should be changed

Quote Originally Posted by Zubi View Post
    This is my first post, so hello everyone.
    To remove devastation I need to delete this lines in descr_campaign_db.xml

but in Medieval folder i have 7 descr_campaign_db.xml files:

Which one should be changed
    The last one (data)
    Welcome to TWC!

juvenus's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    Since you seem to like long games, and despise the devastation bug, why not download the 2 TPY Project? Devastation works properly, and there's twice as many turns.
    i'm interested in this too. what do you mean by "devastation works properly"?
    it doesn't last for 80 years with 2TPYP or what?

Quote Originally Posted by juvenus View Post
    i'm interested in this too. what do you mean by "devastation works properly"?
    it doesn't last for 80 years with 2TPYP or what?
    It decays like it should, instead of sticking around forever.
    Not sure how long it lasts, but after a few turns it will already have decreased some.

juvenus's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    It decays like it should, instead of sticking around forever.
    Not sure how long it lasts, but after a few turns it will already have decreased some.
    nice, gonna try it out.

and this change in descr_campaign_db.xml will only make effect in new game? Devastation in save game will by still permanent?

strife1013's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Zubi View Post
    and this change in descr_campaign_db.xml will only make effect in new game? Devastation in save game will by still permanent?
    Yes, you have to start a new game...I didn't think of removing devastation from the game, that's a good idea :-) And keeping the 1 yr per turn.

Can someone write what are the cons of removing aging script? Also, does LLP mode removes the problem with devastation?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast