Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Managing buildings in Settlements with 24+ buildings

Icon3 Managing buildings in Settlements with 24+ buildings

Demolishing Buildings in Overdeveloped Cities

One of the great things about SSHIP is the number of buildings that can be constructed in a settlement, and how carefully the player can therefore control things like law, happiness, population growth, etc. However, I noticed that there are many settlements that rapidly gain more buildings than can be seen in the tab at the bottom of the screen (one can only see up to 24 buildings there, but SSHIP has far more than 24 buildings that can be simultaneously present in a settlement).

Spoiler for Example of a settlement with over 24 buildings

For management of newly captured settlements it can sometimes be of great use to demolish certain buildings, either in order to reduce population growth (particular territories have very high base growth rates, and so slowing them down can help keep control while you assimilate them), or to change the guild (you might want to have a law-bonus providing guild, rather than an economic one). However, if the settlement already had 24+ buildings present, some of the buildings you'll want to demolish won't be visible in the tab. Worse still, you might not even be sure what's been built, and so not know what to even demolish. But there is another way to go about seeing a settlement's buildings, and to destroying them, if necessary.

Here is what you do (pics in spoiler below):
    1. Select a settlement with more than 24 buildings.
    2. Open the construction menu for the settlement in question.
    3. Click on the "Building Browser" button on the bottom-left corner of that menu.
    Note. Now you will see all buildings in the settlement, either actual (black text) or possible to build later (gray text).
    --> From this screen you can click around on the buildings to get a better feel for what might be worth demolishing, or just to see what you've got already in place.
    4. Click on the line of buildings you would like to demolish (e.g. clicking "Smiths" will open the line of all buildings in the "Smith" building tree)
    5. If you right-click the image of a building from the building browser, you will get the info-scroll for it, and if that building has already been built, you will also see the option to demolish it (bottom-left corner of info-scroll).
    6. If you wish to demolish the building, just hit the "demolish building" button on the bottom right of the building's info panel. Thus, even if a building is not visible in the handy field at the bottom of the screen, you can still see that it has been built, and you can destroy it, if you so wish.

For those of you of a more graphic bend, here is the same info in pictures:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And here is your final result, a settlement with one fewer building.

I hope the little guide/tip here is of use to some pepple. I know this is a very small thing, but it is one that is incredibly useful to know (if you don't already), and I found that there really are some settlements in SSHIP that you will certainly need to trim down upon capture, in order to prevent them revolting in a small number of turns. Using this method, you can more easily see what can be destroyed, and get to that without having to destroy other things just to get the building icons into the panel at the bottom of the screen.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; August 30, 2020 at 04:54 AM.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Managing buildings in Settlements with 24+ buildings

Guys,
    this is to give you know that this issue will be somehow mitigated. It will happen mainly by fusing separate buildings that can (and usually should) be one building line. I've worked recently on two such buildings.

I. Carpenters and Stonemasons - will be fused into one building line Builders, with all 4 buildings kept in the game. See details below:
    The new code
    Code:
    ;==============================================================================================================================;---- Builders ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ;==============================================================================================================================
    ; Names: Logging Camps - Carpenters' Workshops - Quarries - Stonemasons
    ; Roles and benefits:
    ; * can be built only after roads in the province are built.
    ; * all factions can build them anywhere, but in some provinces they'd provide less benefits (ie wood-less ones: no discount on wood buildings, while with in marble/timber resource more income).
    ; * they are a condition to build many other buildings, but no impact on recruitment.
    ; * growth benefit may be important for lower level settlements, but then it increases only a little.
    ; Technical:
    ; there're no text (yet?) for discount on building wooden buildings.

building builders
    {
      convert_to builders
      levels builders1 builders2 builders3 builders4
      {
        builders1 requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } and building_present_min_level hinterland_roads roads or building_present_min_level hinterland_castle_roads c_roads and not building_present_min_level grasslands nomad_headquarters 
        {
          convert_to 0
          capability
          {
            construction_cost_bonus_wooden bonus 3 requires not hidden_resource africa and not hidden_resource tartars and not hidden_resource egypt and not hidden_resource abbasid and not hidden_resource jerusalem and not hidden_resource zengid and not hidden_resource cumans
            construction_cost_bonus_wooden bonus 10 requires event_counter is_the_ai 3
            construction_cost_bonus_wooden bonus 15 requires event_counter is_the_ai 4

population_growth_bonus bonus 1
            trade_base_income_bonus bonus 1

income_bonus bonus 100 requires not resource timber
            income_bonus bonus 200 requires resource timber
          }
          material wooden
          construction  3
          cost  1250
          settlement_min town
          upgrades
          {
          builders2
          }
        }
        builders2 requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } and not building_present_min_level grasslands nomad_encampment 
        {
          convert_to 0
          capability
          {
            construction_cost_bonus_wooden bonus 5 requires not hidden_resource africa and not hidden_resource tartars and not hidden_resource egypt and not hidden_resource abbasid and not hidden_resource jerusalem and not hidden_resource zengid and not hidden_resource cumans
            construction_cost_bonus_wooden bonus 15 requires event_counter is_the_ai 3 
            construction_cost_bonus_wooden bonus 20 requires event_counter is_the_ai 4

population_growth_bonus bonus 2
            trade_base_income_bonus bonus 2

income_bonus bonus 200 requires not resource timber
            income_bonus bonus 300 requires resource timber
          }
          material wooden
          construction  6
          cost  3000
          settlement_min large_town
          upgrades
          {
    		builders3
          }
        }
        builders3 requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } and not building_present_min_level grasslands grasslands 
        {
          convert_to 0
          capability
          {
            construction_cost_bonus_wooden bonus 5 requires not hidden_resource africa and not hidden_resource tartars and not hidden_resource egypt and not hidden_resource abbasid and not hidden_resource jerusalem and not hidden_resource zengid and not hidden_resource cumans

construction_cost_bonus_stone bonus 3 requires not resource marble
            taxable_income_bonus bonus -3 requires not resource marble							 	; must be here to provide text about discount for stone buildings		
            construction_cost_bonus_stone bonus 6 requires resource marble		
            taxable_income_bonus bonus -6 requires resource marble									; must be here to provide text about discount for stone buildings
    		construction_cost_bonus_stone bonus 10 requires event_counter is_the_ai 3
            construction_cost_bonus_stone bonus 15 requires event_counter is_the_ai 4

population_growth_bonus bonus 3
            trade_base_income_bonus bonus 3

income_bonus bonus 300 requires not resource timber and not resource marble
            income_bonus bonus 400 requires resource timber and not resource marble
            income_bonus bonus 400 requires not resource timber and resource marble
            income_bonus bonus 500 requires resource timber	or resource marble
          }
          material stone
          construction  9
          cost  5000
          settlement_min city
          upgrades
          {
            builders4
          }
        }
        builders4 requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } and not building_present_min_level grasslands grasslands 
        {
          convert_to 0
          capability
          {

construction_cost_bonus_stone bonus 5 requires not resource marble
            taxable_income_bonus bonus -5 requires not resource marble							 	; must be here to provide text about discount for stone buildings		
            construction_cost_bonus_stone bonus 10 requires resource marble		
            taxable_income_bonus bonus -10 requires resource marble									; must be here to provide text about discount for stone buildings

population_growth_bonus bonus 4
            trade_base_income_bonus bonus 4

income_bonus bonus 400 requires not resource timber and not resource marble
            income_bonus bonus 500 requires resource timber and not resource marble
            income_bonus bonus 500 requires not resource timber and resource marble
            income_bonus bonus 600 requires resource timber	or resource marble
          }
          material stone
          construction  12
          cost  8000
          settlement_min large_city
          upgrades
          {
          }
        }
      }
      plugins
      {
      }
    }
    The previous code was a follows:
    Code:
    building logging_camp    ;tech{
      convert_to logging_camp
      levels logging_camp carpenter
      {
        logging_camp requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
        {
          convert_to 0
          capability
          {
            construction_cost_bonus_wooden bonus 5 requires not event_counter is_the_ai 3
            construction_cost_bonus_wooden bonus 10 requires event_counter is_the_ai 3 and not event_counter is_the_ai 4
            construction_cost_bonus_wooden bonus 15 requires event_counter is_the_ai 4
            population_loyalty_bonus bonus 1
            trade_base_income_bonus bonus 1 requires factions { cumans, lithuania, }
          }
          material wooden
          construction  3
          cost  850
          settlement_min town
          upgrades
          {
          carpenter
          }
        }
        carpenter requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
        {
          convert_to 0
          capability
          {
            construction_cost_bonus_wooden bonus 10 requires not event_counter is_the_ai 3
            construction_cost_bonus_wooden bonus 15 requires event_counter is_the_ai 3 and not event_counter is_the_ai 4 
            population_loyalty_bonus bonus 2
            trade_base_income_bonus bonus 2 requires factions { cumans, lithuania, }
          }
          material wooden
          construction  3
          cost  3000
          settlement_min city
          upgrades
          {
          }
        }
      }
      plugins
      {
      }
    }
    building stonemason
    {
      convert_to stonemason
      levels sitehut stonemason
      {
        sitehut requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
        {
          convert_to 0
          capability
          {
            construction_cost_bonus_stone bonus 3 requires not event_counter is_the_ai 3 and not event_counter is_the_ai 4
            construction_cost_bonus_stone bonus 6 requires event_counter is_the_ai 3 and not event_counter is_the_ai 4
            construction_cost_bonus_stone bonus 9 requires event_counter is_the_ai 4
            taxable_income_bonus 3
          }
          material stone
          construction  4
          cost  1500
          settlement_min large_town
          upgrades
          {
            stonemason
          }
        }
        stonemason requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
        {
          convert_to 0
          capability
          {
            construction_cost_bonus_stone bonus 5 requires not event_counter is_the_ai 3 and not event_counter is_the_ai 4
            construction_cost_bonus_stone bonus 10 requires event_counter is_the_ai 3 and not event_counter is_the_ai 4    
            taxable_income_bonus 5
          }
          material stone
          construction  5
          cost  4100
          settlement_min city
          upgrades
          {
          }
        }
      }
      plugins
      {
      }
    }
    II. Byzantine imperial barracks - they'd only provide Kataphracts. Now the recruitment has been moved to the Mercenary barracks line (highest level), while the building has been removed so that it doesn't clutter the already heavy cluttered Constantinople.

I think it's very good to tackle this, thanks JoC!

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Good idea Jurand! It is better fusing that buildings in one.

About byzantines, what units do you could recruit in mercenary barracks? Only in the highest level?

Also do you plan add new wonders for russians or other factions?
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Consider merging the siege weapon building line and the upgraded tower line. The upgraded towers already require the siege workshop, so it could just be a continuation.

Although you might be planning to cut siege workshops?

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post
    Consider merging the siege weapon building line and the upgraded tower line. The upgraded towers already require the siege workshop, so it could just be a continuation.

Although you might be planning to cut siege workshops?
    I plan to merge siege workshop line with cannon line. Both produce siege weapons.

This makes sense. Cannons are really just a continuation of siege weapons anyway, so I am down for this.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Me too, it's great that you make buildings more coherent. And I like the idea to merge also with the upgraded towers. If I'm right, at the time it was nut that much more towers than just using artillery pieces on the top of the walls, wich the engine does not allow, but so it makes sense that the "siege weapon" building line provide additional defences.

Quote Originally Posted by Belovèse View Post
    Me too, it's great that you make buildings more coherent. And I like the idea to merge also with the upgraded towers. If I'm right, at the time it was nut that much more towers than just using artillery pieces on the top of the walls, wich the engine does not allow, but so it makes sense that the "siege weapon" building line provide additional defences.
    Yes, also i like the idea about "extend the line of buildings further",this way you can also save and create new buildings or unique wonders for other factions.

I leave you some proposals to extend a little more the line of some buildings:

-GALLOWS---DUNGEONS---DUNGEON COMPLEX...This could further extend the line of this building of public order but decrease happiness for the population. It might also be possible to recruit assassins in these buildings. You would need a stonemanson hut and be a huge city to build it.

-BALLISTA TOWER---FORTRESS TOWER---CANNON TOWERS(AFTER GUNPOWDER EVENT)....Fortress tower and cannon towers could be built in huge cities/citadels. If is possible these towers shoot ballista bolts and arrows and are very strong( difficult to destroy until cannons come to the game). The only settlement that have fortress towers at the beginning of the game is Constantinople, very expensive to build and take many turns to build (15 turns ??)

Some ideas for futures improvements in buildings could be in this submod for SS6.4, historical unit region building mod.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...Map-Buildings)
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Hi j.a.,
    I'll probably follow your advice on both building lines.
    I've played the HURB a lot in the past and I admire work of Rolling Wave. Implementing more of his units would require a thorough change in the building structure (basically removing stables, bowyers etc.) so I don't think it's necessary now.
    cheers
    JoC

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Hi j.a.,
    I'll probably follow your advice on both building lines.
    I've played the HURB a lot in the past and I admire work of Rolling Wave. Implementing more of his units would require a thorough change in the building structure (basically removing stables, bowyers etc.) so I don't think it's necessary now.
    cheers
    JoC
    I'm glad to know that and contribute little grains of sand to improve sship mod.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

In my opinion the Food Administration building should be either cut or changed significantly. It is historical but unfortunately it is a very bad building, and the AI probably does not know that. I always demolish it when I see it. Although I can imagine it may occasionally be good for Large Cities it seems to not be worth it. I'm not sure the Medieval 2 engine can simulate Food Imports properly.

I also delete it every time at start, but can come in handy in mid to late game.

It is meant to be tribute building to depict a situation when a ruler's court takes away resources from the province (in the French meaning) to the centre of the power. It should rather be temporary one.

It will be disabled for the AI once @Belovese develops the script
    Code:
    ;==============================================================================================================================;------- Food Supply ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; it should be disabled for the AI (by adding "and event_counter is_the_player 1" ) but a script is needed - otherwise process of building by the player is disrupted

building food_supply
    {
      levels foodsupport tribute_management forced_tribute
      {
        foodsupport city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } and building_present_min_level hinterland_roads roads and building_present_min_level city_hall council_chambers
        {
          capability
          {
            population_growth_bonus bonus 3
            happiness_bonus bonus 1        
          }
          faction_capability
    			{
    			population_growth_bonus bonus -1
    			happiness_bonus bonus -1			
    			}
          material wooden
          construction  10
          cost  7500
          settlement_min city
          upgrades
          {
          tribute_management
          }
        }

Taxable_income_bonus doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Taxable_income_bonus doesn't work.
    Yes, this is even described in the SSHIP EDB. What do you mean here?

I saw it included in some of the spoilered text you posted above.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    I saw it included in some of the spoilered text you posted above.
    They're accompanied with explanations why they're there:

Code:
    ;===================   BUILDERS 3 (Quarries)   ====================================================================================
    ;==================================================================================================================================        
        builders3 requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } and not building_present_min_level grasslands grasslands 
        {
          convert_to 0
          capability
          {

construction_cost_bonus_stone bonus 3 requires not resource marble
            taxable_income_bonus bonus -3 requires not resource marble                                 ; must be here to provide text about discount for stone buildings        
            construction_cost_bonus_stone bonus 6 requires resource marble        
            taxable_income_bonus bonus -6 requires resource marble                                    ; must be here to provide text about discount for stone buildings

population_growth_bonus bonus 3     requires event_counter new_era_begins 1
            trade_base_income_bonus bonus 3
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; March 24, 2021 at 02:31 AM.

Another step in limiting the number of buildings and making the building tree more rational (at least in my view).

Three building lines will be removed for 098: friar, castle_monastery and orphan.

In their stead there'll be one building line: Charity. Three levels, start in cities, available for both cities and castles.
    The coding is ready, the pics as well, the text will be improved in the future by @Kilo11.

Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; January 17, 2023 at 02:01 PM.

Continuing work on limiting the number of buildings in the settlements so that all present are seen (so no more than 24), I've removed the the Mercenary Barracks and distributed the recruitment of the units to other, regular buildings.
    I've been considering also removing Bakeries, but I've found cohesive set of pictures (the third used to be Mercenary Barracks, the first and second were Stonemasons, and the last used to be top level Bakeries) and also the reason for this building : predominantly to enable jumping from Large City to Huge City levels, so I've re-coded the chain into "bread_building". It looks like this - but there's much more coding for benefits, making them dependent on time (later - more health), and the presence of grain resource.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast