Thread: Constant Screen flickering TATW 3.2 and DaC (Medieval Total War 2 Kingdoms).

Default Constant Screen flickering TATW 3.2 and DaC (Medieval Total War 2 Kingdoms).

I have been having an issue with both Third Age Total War and Divide and Conquer.

Whenever I start either of the games up, the screen will constantly flicker from a black screen, back to the game screen.
    The sound works fine whilst the screen is flickering.
    I managed to work around somewhat in TATW when I changed my graphics settings to low, but then I tried to do the same thing with DaC and it didn't help.

I've been trying to fix it for hours now, re-installing, doing a number of suggested fixes.

Can someone help me please?

Many thanks.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Default Re: Constant Screen flickering TATW 3.2 and DaC (Medieval Total War 2 Kingdoms).

Quote Originally Posted by Arathorn_459 View Post
    I have been having an issue with both Third Age Total War and Divide and Conquer.

Whenever I start either of the games up, the screen will constantly flicker from a black screen, back to the game screen.
    The sound works fine whilst the screen is flickering.
    I managed to work around somewhat in TATW when I changed my graphics settings to low, but then I tried to do the same thing with DaC and it didn't help.

I've been trying to fix it for hours now, re-installing, doing a number of suggested fixes.

Can someone help me please?

Many thanks.
    Hi Arathorn_459, welcome to TWC.

Is this only happening when playing TATW (mods)? Or in other words, can you play a Medieval Total War II Kingdoms campaign without having these issues?
    Last edited by Veteraan; January 16, 2018 at 02:59 AM.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Default Re: Constant Screen flickering TATW 3.2 and DaC (Medieval Total War 2 Kingdoms).

Greetings Veteraan

Yes, I can run total war and the add ons fine, it seems to just be TATW and DaC.

Well, I don't really know what this could be. However, there are a few questions you could answer that may help others to come up with a solution.

Do you play on a Windows PC or a Mac?

Steam or disk version?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Not heard that one before. TATW and submod tends to have much higher demands than vanilla, but that should been a problem in battle, not by just starting the game up
    Unless someone comes up with an idea, perhaps this question is best brought to the Basement?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...8-The-Basement

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

I think not, if it was a hardware problem, you certainly wouldn't expect it to only manifest itself when playing a few mods.

Could be some software setting, with drivers or what not, I was thinking?

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    Well, I don't really know what this could be. However, there are a few questions you could answer that may help others to come up with a solution.

Do you play on a Windows PC or a Mac?

Steam or disk version?
    I play on windows, windows 10.

And its the steam version of the game.

I am using a Lenovo IdeaCentre.

UPDATE:

So I just decided to load up the game again and it now works without any flickering screen.

The only difference being that I did not have my Bluetooth speaker connected to my pc when I loaded it up (the monitor does not have any built in speakers so I have resulted to using my Bluetooth one)

I don't know if anybody knows about this causing an issue with mods or anything but my games Is now working.

Time to take the war to sauron!

Thank you for trying to help me with my problem Veteraan and Ngugi.

Haha, that was an odd one! But con gratz ^^

Lenovo IdeaCentre has been known to cause flickering during gaming, and M2TW game engine will cause this even more while playing mods such as TATW. Go into Advanced settings of your preferred Power Plan, and reduce the max processor state to 70% - 80 %.

Link on how to do it:

If that doesn`t fix it, then you can revert back your max processor state, and try one of these suggestions: https://support.lenovo.com/hr/en/solutions/ht501290

Good luck!
    Last edited by ElvenKind; January 16, 2018 at 10:12 AM.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Sad days, I went to continue on with my campaign and the problem has started again

Does it happen with other games/mods? Have you tried the steps above from the link I`ve posted?

Have you tried running your kingdoms.exe (application) in Windows 7 Compatibility mod?
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    Does it happen with other games/mods? Have you tried the steps above from the link I`ve posted?

Have you tried running your kingdoms.exe (application) in Windows 7 Compatibility mod?
    Yes I did go through those suggested fixes and none of them worked, I eventually just reset my computer completely yesterday, and the game ran fine, however I went to play again today and it would not work.

As for running kingdoms.exe in windows 7 compatibility mode, I have no idea on how to, I will look into how to do it and post an update if it works.

This is how to run in Windows 7 Compatibility mod:

If you do not have Compatibility tab( Steam disabled that tab? ), then try this:

Changed Compatibility settings and... everything works fine!

Thank you very much for your help ElvenKind.