Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

Default Re: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

How can I access the file that contains the tips that appear during start-ups? Many of the messages are long, and disappear before I can finish reading them. I'm hoping I can read them in the file where they're held.

Dear DEI Team (KAM in particular),

I think there is a fundamental problem with how medium troops are handled, especially after Thureos reforms. There should be a clear unit differentiation based on armor and speed:

Light Infantry: Light Armor and 4 Speed
    Medium Infantry: Medium Armor and 3 Speed
    Heavy Infantry: Heavy Armor and 2 Speed

Psiloi and Thorax/Phalanx Units, which are Light and Heavy units respectively, fit this fine in-game. But Medium Infantry like Peltastai and Thureophoroi do not.

Thureophoroi are (almost?) always speed two, with medium armor. Peltastai with Medium Armor and Speed 3 are fine, but Speed 2 and 4 Peltasts with high armor (50!) are nonsensical.

The main issue I'm seeing, particularly for Greek factions, is that there is no middle link between Hoplites and Thorax Spears. Thureophoroi are being forced into that role, when really they are the medium infantry exemplar.

I would suggest the following:

1.) Thureophoroi changed to Speed 3
    2.) Peltastai changed to Speed 3; make their armor comparable to Thureophoroi
    3.) Make Thorax Reforms follow Thureos reforms a bit sooner (Greek factions should be transitioning from Hoplites to a Pike or Thorax, not Thureos, mainline. The only exception to this should be Athen's elite Thureophoroi)
    4.) Ekdromos Changed to Speed 3
    5.) Keep Akontistai at Speed 4 with low armor

Thank you.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie the Bunyip View Post
    How can I access the file that contains the tips that appear during start-ups? Many of the messages are long, and disappear before I can finish reading them. I'm hoping I can read them in the file where they're held.
    DeI_part1/text/db/_Advice_Levels_Vanilla.loc

Search for entries with advice_levels_onscreen_text in the key column

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

1)For Thureophoroi please refer to Experimental pack where Thureophoroi were changed to speed 3 long time ago, which will eventually be in main DeI.

2) This would make them worse as skirmishers and flankers while stronger vs cav due to higher mass. While not visible from stats, all ranged units have much smaller mass and lower HP than regular melee units, which makes them vulnerable to cav charges and not perform well in prolonged melee.

3) No changes to reforms are planned. They were never based on real dates since almost none of reforms ingame happened on specific date, not even Marian reform, which was not actual reform of one guy. Greek factions are already trainsitioning to pike units since not Macedonian factions get pikes after thureos reform.

4) This would make them lackluster and would not be accurate to how they operated. There would be no reason to even recruit them. Actual Ekdromoi would be positioned among regular phalanx and charge forward to engage skirmishers in melee but in game we dont have such ability.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Thanks Kam. The only one I don't understand is (4). if you're going to have Ekdromoi be Speed 4...why remove them after Thureos reforms? They're a great unit all game. I don't understand why they're removed. For historical reasons? I don't think that's a compelling reason.

Please make it so players can still recruit Ekdromoi after reforms.

Semisalis

pirates which spawn in the adriatic sea are always of celtic cultural gruop. would it be possible to have them be illiryans as was the case in reality?

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

yes but you'll have to build the pirate feature so to have different factions (which i think would involve startpos too) and a lot of cdir tables more, the tables where you build the events.
    Not extreme but still a lot of work.

Semisalis

as i understand it startpos editing requires a huge amount of work and it's a big no no for the team right now. well i guess celtic pirates all over the mediterranean would suffice then...

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Basilius View Post
    Thanks Kam. The only one I don't understand is (4). if you're going to have Ekdromoi be Speed 4...why remove them after Thureos reforms? They're a great unit all game. I don't understand why they're removed. For historical reasons? I don't think that's a compelling reason.

Please make it so players can still recruit Ekdromoi after reforms.
    Correct, for historical reasons. They just stopped appearing in sources, which same applies for the most part to hoplites too, and their role was taken over by much more numerous and advanced cavalry compared to times they were introduced.

Foederatus

Hey guys, thanks for the great mod. I have a couple of remarks concerning some units. I have played a Media Atropatkene campaign and is currently playing a Pontos one, and for both factions the bonus to archers' range from the Sadrakarta region does not apply for their basic Persian Archers, but does for their other archer units and AOR ones. I assume it might be their weapon model or input that the region does not pick up on. I think another user has commented on this in a post way back.
    Also, concerning Pontos' garrison units, there is a mismatch between the spearmen and spear militia. The former unit models look considerably more armoured than the latter but the spearmens armour stats are actually lower than the militia's.

Will you planning in the future to return different field and movable artillery which you cut off before and special types of ammo for it(from beast of war, for example)?

hello there ,
    I had 3-4 years to play the game and i came back these days that we are in a quarantine . I was playing DeI in my past campaigns so i downloaded again the mod and the submods i found interesting but i have a problem . I started with Sparta and Massalia and when i built the barracks some units cant be recruited - for example phalanx units . I keep having the same problem in both saves as i upgrade the barracks at lvl2 and onwards .
    Do i miss something on how i can make them playable ?

Wait that can’t be right, massalia doesn’t have pikes currently. You sure you’re not using an outdated version of the mod?

Wait that can’t be right, massalia doesn’t have pikes currently. You sure you’re not using an outdated version of the mod?

Yeah, they don't have pikes, macharaiphoroi are also a thueros unit I think.

Patrician

This is defo some outdated version of Dei as a lot of units on that screen are not there for few years like Machairaphoroi or Thureophoroi Hoplitai.

Totalize's Avatar Libertus

I am playing the Imperator Augustus Campaign and reached max imperium level which gives me 18 legions. is there a way to get to around 27 legions that were in service around 80AD or the 30-31 Legions of 125 AD?

Patrician

Yes but you would need to edit fame_levels_tables to change it from 18 to 27 (should be in line 24 in that table).

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but could ivory be included as a resource since it was popular in ancient times especially by the egyptians, just a thought.

https://etc.ancient.eu/photos/ivory-ancient-world/
    Last edited by LEXI2016; March 26, 2020 at 08:27 AM.