Thread: what can I do with captured settlements where I cannot build nor recruit

Default what can I do with captured settlements where I cannot build nor recruit

I'm playing with the Silvan Elves, I've captured Rhosgobel and this settlement has a total of 30 elven culture and 70 other cultures, this numbers haven't changed since I captured it ( 30-40 turns away )

there are no buildings to build and no armies to recruit, it has only 3 buildings built, anduin vale ( the book which says you can recruit special units ), hunter hut and camp watch, and a population of 297

I'm wondering what am I supposed to do with this settlement and some other with the same problem, will they ever be of any use or I can just ignore them?

playing 3.2

Mank's Avatar Dormouse of Hader

Default Re: what can I do with captured settlements where I cannot build nor recruit

Hello, and welcome to the TWC boards!

You'll need to wait until your town grows in population before you can upgrade it to the next level and unlock better buildings. Hover your mouse over the "population" in the settlement and it will tell you how many people you need for the next upgrade. This is where the 'population growth' dynamic of the game comes in, and setting your tax levels to 'low' will increase your population growth.

Hope this helps, and again welcome to the forum!

p.s. In the future I invite you to ask questions like this in the "Official Third Age Q & A Thread" found (here). You'll usually get the fastest and most knoweledgable responses that way
    Last edited by Mank; May 12, 2013 at 09:10 AM.

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: what can I do with captured settlements where I cannot build nor recruit

they are of use but it's a slow game.. you have to wait until the population grows to a point where you can upgrade them to the next level then you can build troop recruitment buildings and culture change buildings..

when you capture them as is they just give you some monies , btw it's a long wait

Gondolin's Avatar Tiro

Can't you build the thing that increased the elven culture in a settlement, elves need a minimum % to build some units
    If you cannot build anything put the taxes on low to foster growth

This is why i never exterminate any towns, especially early game, too hard to get them back up if you want to grow them

Miles

The best way is to set your tax rate on low. With it you will have a better population growth. But be patient. There is a lot of turns between population 297 to 1500, which is the next level... Moving a general with high respect to the city will also incourage the growth

After you have build the palisade, which make your city go one level up, you should build Art gallery(or something like that) to get some culture growth. Then you just need to wait 1-2 turns to get those 33% culture you need
    //ThaDoews

TATW + MOS 1.
    SS6.4 + BftB

Quote Originally Posted by Pollster33 View Post
    This is why i never exterminate any towns, especially early game, too hard to get them back up if you want to grow them
    +1

Its better to get the town to the next level and then worry about culture than be stuck with hardly any population and no chance of getting culture for ages.

I don't even sack cities any more, even when playing as evil. Pop count is just too important (unless i'm playing a scorched earth game, in which case indeed, burn, rape, and pillage everthing!)

just do add population rhosgobel amount of population till next level im too impatient

Like others have said, each faction has a "culture" building that slowly shifts the town toward your culture (Artist's Studio for elves, Library for Arnor/Gondor, Standing Stones for all other good Men factions, Brewery/Pub for Dwarves, and Shrine of Melkor for all evil factions). However, you can't build them at the lowest population level; you have to upgrade to a town first. Really the only thing to do is put that city's taxes on low, which will both help improve population growth and hopefully prevent cultural unrest from causing rioting in the meantime.

Gift it to an AI faction you plan to attack soon and they will have it upgraded in no time, then take it back by force. It is very strange your population is 297, I thought the minimum was 412 or something like that...

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

the min in MOS is set to 250 i believe and FireFreak111 made a settlement with barely any population at all (himling) 13 people to be exact...

linky : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post12667300

and yes AD i follow you

Cheesus, even with a 100% bonus to pop growth it would take hundreds of turns to upgrade to a town with 13 pop. With .5% growth... eternity. Ya you will just have to gift them to the AI to grow them. The AI probably still gets a growth bonus in MOS, I don't know though. Even if they do it will still take quite awhile to grow such small populations when the growth bonus is only 1% or less of that small population.
    Last edited by alreadyded; May 15, 2013 at 08:53 PM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote from King Kong:

"Even just the population growth mechanics needed weeks to be developed (with pen, paper and maths; you can't imagine what a work this was) and also if many people don't like them, they work exactly like I have imagined and calculated. I would dare to say that I'm maybe the only one who does comepletely know how the population mechanics of M2 work and who does know every factor that is influencing them. My simple aim for the population in this version was that at turn 200 not every settlement should be a huge city like in 2.1, I found this was very important, because it destroyed the whole LOTR feelings for me. Actually I can't understand why now so many people complain about this. Would you rather like to see every illage to be fully developed at turn 150/200?
    Anyway, no matter what I do, people will always complain, but personally I think it was the right way to go."
    Last edited by Ngugi; May 15, 2013 at 07:41 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post

Anyway, no matter what I do, people will always complain, but personally I think it was the right way to go."
    In other words....

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

add_population

Cavalier's Avatar Vicarius

Well, there is a way if you don't want to wait that long, and that is to cheat, by typing add_population Rhosgobel(or any other settlement) and then the number you want added.

If you do this, I recommend you only add a couple of hundred, say 400. That way you wont wait as long, and the feeling of ruining the game by cheating won't be felt as much.
    August Strindberg: "There's a view, current at the moment even among quite sensible people, that women, that secondary form of humanity (second to men, the lords and shapers of human civilisation) should in some way become equal with men, or could so be; this is leading to a struggle which is both bizarre and doomed. It's bizarre because a secondary form, by the laws of science, is always going to be a secondary form. Imagine two people, A (a man) and B (a woman). They start to run a race from the same point, C. A (the man) has a speed of, let's say, 100; B (the woman) has a speed of 60. Now, the question is 'Can B ever overtake A?" and the answer is 'Never!'. Whatever training, encouragement or self-denial is applied, the proposition is as impossible as that two parallel lines should ever meet."