Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: FAQ

Default Re: FAQ

Yes, follow the instructions Hanti has posted here.

cotradiction's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey of Villehardouin View Post
    Yes, follow the instructions Hanti has posted here.
    now I've done that, theirs no sound from fighting.

Battle sounds are in data/sounds/effect_evt and data/sounds/SFX.dat if I am not mistaken. Do you have these? If not, you may have to re-install. Else, it may be that you need to adjust your sound settings during battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey of Villehardouin View Post
    For the crashes we need an error log. It is usually, but not always, helpful. I have noticed persistent crashes after I have gone back and restarted a campaign from the previous save. You may be able to restart from a few saves back. Before you do that, try to "load an earlier game -> campaign game" rather than clicking directly on the Continue campaign tab.

Sometimes units are trying to come out of a certain gate but get blocked by some invisible obstacle. This happens only with the human player's units and only a certain gate, mostly with large or huge size units. The new walls are buggy in many respects, the modeller who was working on them has gone back to real life and we will have to live with them. One option is to revert back to the original huge cities but I think you will need to revert also to the original ladders. Another option is to try to bypass the invisible obstacle by moving your units around it. You may have to back up a bit and make sure your entire unit is behind the obstacle, then move the unit to one side and then out of the gates. It may not always work with large/huge size units. It is best not to try to use that gate. If the enemy is running off, let them run.

Some AI artillery can inflict casualties to the human player's units if it has area fire capability. Eventually, the AI will stop shooting at your walls after they run out of ammunition. If you find that you can kill them with your musketeers while they do so and it bothers you, then the range of the tower firearms can be adjusted. You can do this in descr_walls: search for arquebus_bullet and change the number that follows it (100 or 120) to 290. This will cause the besieging units to stay further back until the cannons have exhausted their ammunition. The human player will not be able to shoot at the AI units from the walls until the AI decides to attack with the ram and ladders.

There is a way to get rid of these walls? Because I'd rather have working siege battles than some new models/textures.

And lately I've been getting random crashes when finishing battles or sieges. Sigh, I'm almost giving up on the mod, the content is excellent but it's simply too crashy.
    Last edited by beckyolt; January 08, 2014 at 05:10 PM.
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

Quote Originally Posted by beckyolt View Post
    There is a way to get rid of these walls? Because I'd rather have working siege battles than some new models/textures.

And lately I've been getting random crashes when finishing battles or sieges. Sigh, I'm almost giving up on the mod, the content is excellent but it's simply too crashy.
    In my experience, this mostly/only happens when the human player is the attacker. If that is the case for you, then you can autoresolve. In any case, you can revert back to the vanilla walls by renaming the large_city file in the following directory

...\1648\data\settlements\north_european\settlements\large_city

to something of your liking.

If you feel adventurous, you can have a go at tweaking the walls. There are some broad guidelines here.

Some modders in TATW, Sicilian Vespers, Stainless Steel and elsewhere had considerable success in modifying settlement walls. However, the star fort walls are a major departure from the typical M2 walls and modding settlement walls is apparently a major source of crashes.

Will probably try removing the walls after I finish a Swedish campaign I'm playing.

Something strange happening right now on my game... as Sweden, I start with a bunch of merchants , most of them have zero trading skill, but the exact same resource is worth different values to some different merchants, even when both have the same trading skill. Why? Also, one of my merchants can't make any money from any trade resource...
    Last edited by beckyolt; January 11, 2014 at 06:52 PM.

Will probably try removing the walls after I finish a Swedish campaign I'm playing.

Something strange happening right now on my game... as Sweden, I start with a bunch of merchants , most of them have zero trading skill, but the exact same resource is worth different values to some different merchants, even when both have the same trading skill. Why? Also, one of my merchants can't make any money from any trade resource...
    I believe the wall change is save game compatible. You may have to restart 1648.

I do not understand the problem of your merchants. When you say exact same resource, do you mean the same type (e.g. amber) but in different locations or do you really mean exact same resource. I cannot see this happening when I start Sweden. All merchants with equal skill should make the same money from the exact same resource. However, the value of a resource will change during the campaign and may be different from place to place.
    Last edited by Geoffrey of Villehardouin; January 20, 2014 at 06:19 PM.

Hello! I have played the mod for a month and now I play with Old Swiss Confederation. When playing Quick battle I noticed that this fraction has some special units like Knights and multibarelled cannons. For now I can't find how to recruit/build them on the grand campaign. Do they have some special buildings I have to construct or some requirments? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by The_hussar View Post
    Hello! I have played the mod for a month and now I play with Old Swiss Confederation. When playing Quick battle I noticed that this fraction has some special units like Knights and multibarelled cannons. For now I can't find how to recruit/build them on the grand campaign. Do they have some special buildings I have to construct or some requirments? Thanks in advance!
    Some settlements, especially some faction capitals, have special units, for example Bern has some Swiss pikemen, that you cannot recruit elsewhere. When you capture these settlements, you will have access to these local units. The Prussian demilancers are the cavalry closest to medieval knights and can be recruited in Koenigsberg. The Hussaria can be recruited in Warsaw. Some dismounted full-armour knights are available to the Kaiser. The multibarelled cannons are made somewhere in Hessen. Many of these units have some special interesting capability but for this reason they are not easy to have.

Also, the special regional units can only be retrained in regions where they can be recruited.

Civis

what is the main difference between 1.0 and 2.0. Mod looks awesome

Quote Originally Posted by djangooo View Post
    what is the main difference between 1.0 and 2.0. Mod looks awesome
    Version 1 was in German, factions had more money but the merc system had some problems. Also the Battle AI was different, musketeers had shorter ranges and were not very useful for the AI. The map was slightly different, some locations had problems. Gigantus implemented an economy script for version 2, units were revamped, named regiments were added, also dragoons and harquebusiers, fanatics are not as common and cavalry is not as strong as it was in version 1. Deployment is in historical formations appropriate for the various factions and periods, whereas previously armies were deployed in the vanilla triple line formation. Artillery and fanatics have been nerfed. Sieges with the new walls do not crash as often. The Ottomans are less strong, several factions were added (Transylvanians, Bayreuth, Hessen, Baden, Trier, Cologne and the Spanish), night battles are not as dark. There are more generals overall, there are more portraits for the various types of characters, more named generals, more character names, including some ethnic names for the Poles, Swedes, Danes and a few other factions, the diplomatic enclave in Austria, longer ranges for the diplomats, some new buildings, more possibilities for free upkeep, a few position changes for some of the settlements, the hunting lodges were implemented to avoid factions dying off too easily through the death of family members. Units have longer ranges on the strat map compared to version 1. There is a bigger variety of flags with many more flags for each faction. There are some new skins. Some new projectiles, some corrections of missing stats from some of the units, no silver surfers. Artillery is not as OP as in version 1. Scripted battles do not crash the campaign.

There are probably many other things that do not come to mind right now.

Scripted battles do not crash the campaign.
    Weird, 90% of them do for me and I have v2, latest patch .

Question , are the towers of the new walls indestructible as well? Because, those damn things are TOUGH. I attacked a Danish city with roughly a 1000 garrinson with some 3000 men. Despite that I still took horrendous casualties ( 40% ) mainly due to the towers, that can fire at your soldiers even while they're fighting at the walls. And my cannons didn't seem to deal any damage against them.

Also, in what date is that Lion something ( I forgot the name ) supposed to take place? The one in which you get a Swedish stack in the Baltic shore.
    Last edited by beckyolt; January 22, 2014 at 06:45 PM.

Weird, 90% of them do for me and I have v2, latest patch .
    When I say they "crashed the campaign", I mean it was final. This is hopefully not what is happening to your campaigns. What kind of problem are you experiencing with the scripted battles?

Question , are the towers of the new walls indestructible as well? Because, those damn things are TOUGH. I attacked a Danish city with roughly a 1000 garrinson with some 3000 men. Despite that I still took horrendous casualties ( 40% ) mainly due to the towers, that can fire at your soldiers even while they're fighting at the walls. And my cannons didn't seem to deal any damage against them.
    Everything about the new walls is indestructible, except the gates. If you want to fight those battles, rather than autoresolve, forget your artillery and expect casualties. Rush you units close to the walls, where they will be relatively immune from tower cannon fire - until they are on the walls, at which points you will just have to hung on and hope. The casualties are realistic, do not forget Wallenstein's only real defeat was his inability to take Stralsund, i.e. in a siege battle in which he was the attacker and heavily outnumbered the opposition.

Also, in what date is that Lion something ( I forgot the name ) supposed to take place? The one in which you get a Swedish stack in the Baltic shore.
    Lion of the Midnight. It is sometime between 1628 and 1630. I am not sure it is a fixed time.

When I say they "crashed the campaign", I mean it was final. This is hopefully not what is happening to your campaigns. What kind of problem are you experiencing with the scripted battles?
    Most of the time it's after I'm done fighting them, the game CTDs.

Everything about the new walls is indestructible, except the gates. If you want to fight those battles, rather than autoresolve, forget your artillery and expect casualties. Rush you units close to the walls, where they will be relatively immune from tower cannon fire - until they are on the walls, at which points you will just have to hung on and hope. The casualties are realistic, do not forget Wallenstein's only real defeat was his inability to take Stralsund, i.e. in a siege battle in which he was the attacker and heavily outnumbered the opposition.

Yes, I like how much tougher sieges are, realistic since it makes pretty much necessary to starve the defenders if you don't hopelessly outnumber them. But making most enemy fortifications undestructible makes them almost unfairly hard.

Lion of the Midnight. It is sometime between 1628 and 1630. I am not sure it is a fixed time.

So there must be something wrong with my game, I got it on 1625. Figured something had to be wrong since the Swedish intervention in 30YW was in 1630

Oh, and is there some way I can edit the files to prevent a faction from declaring a war on another? Some relations boost or something? Because it just utterly destroyed immersion on my game how Catholic League declared war on Austria and every single pro-Habsburg German state ( Trier, Cologne, Bavaria ) broke their alliances with Austria .
    Last edited by beckyolt; January 22, 2014 at 08:35 PM.

Most of the time it's after I'm done fighting them, the game CTDs.
    Scripted battles are the battles of Sablat, White Mountain, Wimpfen, Dessau, Nordlingen, etc. In the Swedish campaign I think they will be Breitenfeld and Luetzen. Are these the ones that caused a CTD?

Yes, I like how much tougher sieges are, realistic since it makes pretty much necessary to starve the defenders if you don't hopelessly outnumber them. But making most enemy fortifications undestructible makes them almost unfairly hard.
    It is just different. The computer player will also have problems as the attacker in sieges, so it is still fair. You can autoresolve or replace them with the vanilla walls, if you want sieges to be easier.

So there must be something wrong with my game, I got it on 1625. Figured something had to be wrong since the Swedish intervention in 30YW was in 1630
    To be honest, I am not absolutely sure how fixed the time is. Gigantus may know better.

Oh, and is there some way I can edit the files to prevent a faction from declaring a war on another? Some relations boost or something? Because it just utterly destroyed immersion on my game how Catholic League declared war on Austria and every single pro-Habsburg German state ( Trier, Cologne, Bavaria ) broke their alliances with Austria .
    Campaign AI aggressiveness comes at the cost of Catholic or Protestant factions sometimes declaring war on each other. Allies will not declare war on each other, so something happened that got the Catholic Union crossed with the Kaiser. Probably one of these two factions attacked one of the other faction's allies. In real history, there was a point when the Bavarians, who were the main sponsors of the Catholic League, had a disagreement with the Kaiser. An Austrian general marched into Bavaria and took Munich. So this kind of thing also happened historically.

I also got the Swedish invasion in the Baltic in May 1625.

I just realised that on Quick battle you get a mix of troops of different nations, not just a single faction's soldiers. I searched through all troops of every nation in Custom battle but I couldn't find the multibarelled canons. Any ideas? Or it is just not present in the Custom battle mode although all other special units were selectable from the list.

The swedish invasion event is not historical, we set them in 1625 to get Sweden earlier and more involved into war.

Civis

i can't extract the files from the download. i'm using windows 8

For sure the mod works in Windows 8. However, I would not be the best expert in resolving your problem. Remember you will have to extract the files after you have downloaded all four 7z files from the Infracta website, if that is how you are trying to download.

You may have to install a Windows 8 compatible version of 7Zip.

Alternatively try the Torrent. If neither works, maybe make a note of any errors reported, perhaps we can work out something from there.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

A 32 bit and a 64 bit version of 7Zip is available here.