Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter XXXXII 30/9)

Default Re: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter XXXVII 18/1)

Chapter XXXVIII- Amateur Plotters

1559- Mid-Summer

“Welcome to my ship, Yuki-san.” Tsurunai Munetsune said with welcoming, outstretched arms which silently boasted ‘yes, this is all mine’.

“So this is where you hide away.”

“It is my home away from home. Excuse me if I don’t sleep in the snake’s nest like you do.”

“Someone has to.” I muttered. “What is it, keep your friends close-”

“And your enemies closer.” Munetsune finished the sentence tiredly. “Undoubtedly the Nagano think that as well.”

“It is a fine home.” I said admiringly. The ship was immaculately kept, one could easily mistake it for never having seen battle except for the few scars it proudly displayed.

“You expected anything less?”

“Yes, I entirely expected a small, barely seaworthy trading vessel to be our admiral’s flagship.” He threw his head back and laughed.

“Only the Mori can boast a better ship.” He boasted. “Elegant yet sturdy, she flies on the water and has the manpower to deal with anything less than Akkorokamui1 itself.”

“And the Mori flagship.” I added.

“Is manned with Mori men. They are like frogs who, admittedly, can admiringly survive on both land and water but excel on neither.” He made a ribbeting sound to accompany the analogy.

“And your men are?” He faltered in the delivery of another analogy.

“Men.”

“Men?”

“Men.” He confirmed.

“Wako?”

“Some. So?”

“I once led an attack on a wako encampment in southern Kyushu.” I said offhandedly, looking around the ship.

“Join the club. The wako are not so much a race as they are a line of work. You’ve killed samurai haven’t you?” I nodded. “And I’ve killed Wako.” The conversation seemed to have reached a stalemate. “Will you join me inside?”

“I can spare the time.”

“Oh don’t pretend you weren’t waiting for the invitation.” He chuckled: I was. Guards lined the passage down into the ship. They all seemed to smirk at a silent joke. “Don’t mind the guards. They’re cheery men, they tell too many jokes.” Munetsune’s quarters were extravagant; a long, low wooden table, a colour matching that of the walls but with a greater vivacity and quality to it. It lay covered in maps, letters, little decorative pieces. You felt immediately like there were many stories within those walls. “You worry too much about this plan of ours.”

“Who said I came here to discuss the plan.” I had.

“What did you come here to talk about?” He poured some sake, despite the time. I politely declined.

“Sorin-tono tasked you with increasing our fleet?” I asked instead, vaguely remembering something about an increased fleet that Sorin had mentioned.

“Oh you came to talk about ships.” I nodded. “That’s a topic I can get behind, much more entertaining than constant scheming.” He took what looked like a celebratory gulp of sake. It seemed to hit him hard and by surprise. “Yes, we’ve had more and more,” cough, “timber come in over,” cough, “the past couple of days.” Cough. “Wow, that sake is strong.” He acknowledged at last. “But don’t fool yourself that we could take on the Mori, they’re too well positioned, reinforced and most importantly, too large. Not to mention the other fleet sent by the Chosokabe is stuck in Bungo, pinned down by more Mori patrols.

“So we can’t even defeat them with the magnificent Tsurunai Munetsune-sama at the head of our fleet?”

“Trying to get into bed with me?”

“Metaphorically or literally?”

“Both.”

“Well your wife’s not here.”

“I don’t know who you think you are Yuki-san that you can attempt to sleep with me after only a day of knowing each other but to be honest, you’re not exactly my type.”

“Not foreign enough?” I asked jokingly.

“Get a gaijin name and I might consider you.” He poured himself some more sake as if he’d forgotten how he had handled it last time. “I think there was something I had to tell you.” He said, repeatedly snapping his finger in an attempt to remember whatever it was. “Ah yes, I received a message from the commander of our gaijin mercenaries.” I was intrigued. “He asks that you visit him on their ship which is anchored somewhere out there.” He waved his arm vaguely out to sea. “I decided to leave it to you.”

“Me?”

“You’ve had quite a few dealings with them.” It could be taken as both a compliment and an insult.

“Your wife?”

“Yes. But still, I’ll give you the pleasure of dealing with them.”

“Any idea what they want.” No point arguing with him over it.

“Money, food, women. To disembark off their ship onto dry land.”

“Could be useful having them somewhere we could actually use them.”

“And where would we put them?” I hadn’t exactly thought of that.

“The Nagano, I’m sure, will sort it out.”

“Oh they will be really happy to have more Otomo soldiers infesting their castle.” He sarcastically added.

“Do you have a free scout ship or something you can lend me or I do have to swim there?”

“Scout ship?” He scoffed at the idea. “You’ll take this wonderful vessel.” He patted the walls like it was a pet. “Impressions.” He sounded like Suzume. Suzume didn't care for where the impressions got you or who you were impressing she just knew they were important.

“And you will part with her for that long?”

“Part with her? I’ll take you there, you’re just doing all the talking.”

“We’ll leave this instant then.” I had nothing better to do.

“We don’t want to leave our friends waiting.” He agreed. All he had to do was give the word and his page came running down. “Have the men take their stations and tell them to set a course for the gaijin ship.” The boy bowed and ran off. “Good boy,” he remarked when the boy was out of earshot, “sometimes I catch him staring at my wife.” He added nonchalantly. “Adolescence, I guess.”

“So about our plan……”

The trip was short and pleasant, Munetsune having kept his quarters full of food. The ship was fast, surprisingly so, just as Munetsune had boasted and it helped that the wind kindly got behind us. It bounded over waves, taking each it in its stride. On shore, the gaijin’s ship could be seen hugging the horizon, an ominous beast. As we approached it, its majesty and imposing size did not diminish. The white sails, emblazoned with a red cross, flapped violently in the wind. The great sound of a conch shell announced our arrival and we made sure to fly the Otomo mon high and proudly.

"Don't you wish you had one of those." Munetsune whispered as we stood on the deck of our ship, craning our necks upwards as our ship, dwarfed by the gaijin’s, came up alongside theirs. “Oh the places you could go.” He gawked.

“Your wife came on one of these did she not?” Neither of us took our eyes off the ship.

“Yes and she regales me with tales of such far off places. I admit I turn giddy.”

“I can see.”

“Don’t test me, Yuki-san.”

Bom dia, we are representatives of the lord of Bungo, Otomo Sorin-tono.” They answered with silence until a great rope ladder was thrown over the side of the ship, landing on ours with a great thud.

“Men, stay on the ship.” Munetsune shouted, answered by obedient replies. He turned to his second in command. “You have the reigns now. I trust you know what to do if things go wrong.” The man grinned and nodded. “After you, Yuki-san.”

“How polite of you.” I placed a shaky hand on the rope and tried to stabilise it. The rope wobbled and swayed as I put my first foot on it and in response I gripped the course and rough rope even more tightly. It was a constant struggle to steady it and I was full aware of all the men below and soon above whose eyes were on me. I placed a second foot on it and had more luck. I lifted the other leg and placed it on the rung above. Breathe, I reminded myself. The other leg followed and then the previous leg and soon I had set into a stable pace. Large, bronze cannons with great gaping, hungry mouths greeted me as I went up. I was an ant on the side of a ship from lands I’d never seen before.

At last I lay my hands on the edge of the deck and heaved myself up and onto it. Fifty or so pair of eyes stared at me as I tried to regain some composure.

“Yufu Yuki-sama, commanding officer of the Kokura garrison and chief advisor to the lord of the Otomo clan, Otomo Sorin-sama.” Munetsune had given them a rather pompous and exaggerated set of titles for me, that bastard. The man himself rose from behind me, placing his foot down heavily. He seemed to hide his excitement well for the time being.

“What did you say earlier to them.” He whispered from behind me.

“And lord Tsurunai Munetsune, kokujin of Kitsuga,” the herald announced,

“What?”

“The gaijin words.”

“head of the Tsurunai clan and admiral of the Otomo navy.”

“Oh, ‘bom dia’.”

Bom dia.” Munetsune replied to the gaijin, butchering the pronunciation as much as possible. Muffled laughs could be heard in the background. “Where is you captain?” He straightened his kimono and brushed off the dust on it from the ship.

“Right this way.” The man who previously introduced us said. He walked towards where part of the deck was raised much higher than the rest, stairs required to get up there. He waited at a door, decorated in gold, that was built in to this raised deck. It opened inwards as I have seen other gaijin doors do so, yet still it was always most strange to see it in action.

If I thought Munetsune’s quarters were grandiose, I couldn’t possibly describe what these were like. The captain of the ship, an ordinary sized man about forty or so, sat at a desk, a high table like the gaijin prefer. It was made out of the same type of wood that the walls were, with an indescribable darkness to it. The size of it should have dwarfed the captain had he not been enthroned in an even bigger chair. Maps, more strange and extraordinary than Munetsune’s hung from the walls, lay on the table and some even furnished the floor, the outlines of strange lands etched in ink on them. The lustre of gold and silver caught our eyes, piles of it flowing from a chest in the corner. Sunlight entered through a small window as a trespasser, unwanted and unwelcome and was soon gone. A small lamp glowed on the desk, devouring the darkness the sunlight couldn’t.

“Hello, Yuki-sama." The captain launched himself from his chair. “Is that correct?”

“Yes de Ponte Geraldo-sama.” I replied, hoping I had recalled the right name from the letter. The captain looked confused and then realised I had simply switched the names. I had observed that the gaijin spelt their name with their family name last and hadn't got use to how we did it.

“And hello, Munetsune-sama.”

“Yes, errrr, hello Geraldo-sama.” Munetsune replied absently as he gawked and gazed at all the treasure the room held. The captain bowed awkwardly.

“Would you like a seat?” He pulled two wooden chairs from the side of the room and put them down in front of the table.

“Thank you, Geraldo-san.” I said as I walked over to one of the seats. Munetsune walked over slowly, transfixed.

“Are you a lover of foreign lands, Munetsune-sama?” The captain asked as he walked over to a small, ornate cabinet.

“Yes, yes I am.” Munetsune regained some poise and restraint. “Only ever been as far as southern China though.”

“Your wife has told you the places she has been, has she not? You are the man married to senhora Johanna Kwakernaak?”

“Yes but tales are a poor substitute for seeing with one’s own eyes.”

“Yes, too true. Would either of you like a drink.”

“No, I’m fine. I try not to drink.” I answered. Munetsune nodded.

“Try not to drink your own drink but wait until you try ours, Yuki-sama.” He poured a cup for me before I could respond and handed it to me in a strange cup, much larger than ours, with a sort of stalk to which you could hold it. The drink was a dark red and accompanied by an even darker but fruity aroma. “A fine drink from near where I live. Go on try it.” It didn’t hit as hard as sake but was full bodied unlike most drinks I had had.

“Quite the drink.” Munetsune noted.

“I must say, Munetsune-sama, your marriage caused quite a stir back home.” The captain said looking into his glass. “I know the girl’s father, a good man- for someone from the Lowlands.” Munetsune only showed the slightest bit of tiredness of the topic, willing, if not eager, to indulge the man. “Did he approve of the marriage?”

“He was begrudging, yes. But I am a lord of considerable power and wealth.” I didn’t dare mention that by considerable power Munetsune meant within Sorin’s lands, not the whole country. “It won him over.”

“Well now that it has made him a little fame he seems to be anything but begrudging. All I can is that it still is quite a big talking point.” The captain exclaimed, revelling in the retelling of old gossip. Munetsune sat with the sort of uninterested expression on his face that one has when one is being told one’s life story. “A merchant’s daughter marrying a Japanese lord! And they didn’t even know what a ‘Japanese’ was! Even reached the royal courts I heard.” Obviously the royal courts meant little to Munetsune or me.

“That’s nice to know.”

“The father made quite the fortune from it, always saying he had ‘connections’ and using these ‘connections’ to get first choice on trade and to keep coming here. He must be quite wealthy by now.”

“He has visited twice, I believe.” Munetsune confirmed.

“Man must love the sea."

“Yes he must.” I echoed, the topic not exactly thrilling me. “I take it discussing Munetsune-san’s wife wasn’t why you called us here.” The captain seemed annoyed then grinned.

“No and I’m sure my men would like me to cut to the chase.” He poured himself another cup before ‘cutting to the chase’. “We wish to disembark at Kokura.”

“There should be no problem with that.” I was taken aback by the simpleness of the request. Maybe the man was just being polite. “A simple letter would have easily sufficed.”

“It’s a bit more difficult than that. We intend on staying onshore and so, need some,” he looked for the right word, “accomodation.”

“Of course.” Munetsune said.

“And you wish for us to provide it?” I asked.

“We are employed by you.” The captain reminded us. “We are your men.”

“You’re men are tiring of the ship?” Munetsune asked, buying us some time.

“Yes, Munetsune-san.” He looked like he had as well. “Food is getting low, boredom is high and there are no women.”

“All understandable problems.” Munetsune concurred.

“And of course my men are much more of use for you inside your castle than out in here in the case that anything went wrong.”

“Hmmmm.” I hesitated. There wasn’t much room, although this would substantially further our plan.

“They can be disciplined if you want.” The man continued. “Keep them within the castle walls and out of the city proper and there should be no problems. As long as there are women and drink and food.” The man clearly longed for all three as badly as his men did.

“Yes, yes. I should be able to find room. Sail into the harbour and disembark tomorrow and it should be sorted.” The captain looked most please. Munetsune raised an eyebrow for a moment before resuming the neutrally jolly face he put on most of the time, especially when people weren’t relaying gossip about his marriage from foreign lands.

“My men will be quite happy. Shall we drink to this?” Before we could answer he poured us both more of his strange drink. “To the Otomo.”

“To the Otomo.” Munetsune and I echoed in hesitant celebration.

“We should be off.” I said once we'd finished our cups. “Stuff to organise and all.”

“Yes, I do hope we shall talk soon.”

“I look forward to it.” In all truth the captain was a good man, there was not much you could fault in him that you couldn’t fault most other people. He launched himself up from his chair and strode over to the door. “Until tomorrow, adieus.” We all bowed and then walked out the door onto the deck. Men lay around, exactly as the captain had described, bored and their eyes darted to the two foreigners emerging out of their captain’s quarters and then they left us, too bored to care. The descent down the ladder was slightly easier than the ascent. Our own men waited for us, tired but disciplined compared to their lounging, lazing gaijin counterparts.

“Do you wand to explain to me how you’re going to fit all of your gaijin friends.” Demanded Munetsune as we walked into his cabin. The ship started without him even having to give an order.

“It involves kindly asking the Nagano to send their men home.” The plan sounded slightly less crazy and unlikely in my head.

“Home?”

“Those who have homes in the city have no need to take up space in the barracks. And others I’m sure are just not needed.”

“Fusamori-san won’t like this at all.” Munetsune warned then downed a cup of sake as if to digest my plan.

“I know but what is he going to do to stop it. It’s for the good of the war.” Munetsune poured another cup and then another one. I shook my head furiously.

“I’m sure you could toast to the that?” I hesitated but gave in and he handed me the cup, no doubt a little bit delighted at my momentary weakness. I stared at it and it seemed to stare back: old adversaries.

“To the good of the war.”

“And to the the good of us.” Munetsune added. The sake went down smoothly, leaving a trail of delicate sweetness all the way down my throat. I had forgotten how nice it could be.

We disembarked at the docks and walked through the streets of Kokura towards the castle. The streets were quiet today and I hoped it was a one off, though rumour abounded of food shortages and a drop in trade. The city itself wasn’t blockaded but Mori ships patrolled the seas not far off, hampering trade. Letters from Bungo sang the same story.

“Have you head anything from Sorin-sama because I haven’t.” Asked Munetsune at one point.

“No but I suppose we’ll hear something if they win or lose a battle.”

“So we’ll only get any news if we’re either stuffed or safe.”

“Pretty much.”

We passed through the barracks on the way to the palace. Munetsune and I had given out orders to increase the intensity of the training per our plan and it was pleasing to see the orders being carried out or at least the effort to fake it being put in. Kuju Hitotake, commanding officer of the yaris ran up to us with a most astonished look on his face.

“We have some unexpected guests.” He said cryptically.

“What do you mean unexpected, Hitotake-san?” Demanded Munetsune.

“Monks. Warrior monks.” Munetsune and I both exchanged the same look, one that said ‘not my doing, yours?’.

“Where?” I asked.

“In the main courtyard of the tenshu, Yuki-sama. They seem to want you.” Munetsune’s face now read ‘so it is your doing’.

Kuju Hitotake wasn’t lying. In the courtyard stood, like statues impervious to the mid-summer sun and to distraction or boredom, fifty or so monks. They were dressed in the usual monks garbs, long white and grey robes with hoods covering their heads. They held a bow in one hand, the other in a closed fist at the waist. A quill was the only thing that hung from their backs.

“Who is your leader?” I asked hesitantly. What else was I meant to say?

“I am.” One of them stepped forward, a noticeably strong man even behind all those robes.

“I am Yuki-san.” I bowed.

“Hidemori-san at your command.”

“At ease man.” The monk seemed to want to follow my command but looked uneasy at being at ease. “For what purpose do you come here, Hidemori-san.”

“We were sent by our sensei and head monk, Shizurako-tono, to aid in the war.” The past hit me like an angry, old friend. Shizurako, wow. “We are at your command.” I needed time to process all of it. More men, at least.

“You are all trained with the yumi?” Munetsune inquired.

“Yes, Munetsune-sama. The yumi and the naginata and some the katana.” Hidemori answered humbly.

“Have you got accommodation?” I prayed they had.

“Yes, a temple has offered us their hospitality.”

“We shall send down food and drink so their supplies aren’t stretched.”

“You are most kind, Yuki-sama.”

“I’ll visit tomorrow at the temple to sort out the rest.”

“Until then, Yuki-sama.” The man bowed. “Men, march.” Statues come alive they were. They marched with the upmost discipline. They would surely cause a lot of commotion marching through town. In fact, I was surprised they hadn't already and that Kokura wasn’t already abuzz. Maybe they slipped through a side entrance.

“More men could never hurt.” Motochika remarked as we watched them march off.

“The Nagano might just be a bit scared of us now.”

“I would be. Care to explain who this Shizurako-sama might be?”

“Maybe later.” I shrugged, delving into the past was often a tiring affair. “Shall we give them the bad news?”

“I see no better time than now.” The palace was certainly lively on our way to speak with Nagano Fusamori, word of the sudden appearance of fifty warrior monks providing the entertainment for the afternoon. Nagano Fusamori was less than thrilled. We met him in the usual meeting room, a small square room with tatami mats, the heavy smell of incense and a perpetual supply of tea.

“Good afternoon Munetsune-san and Yuki-san.” He said through gritted teeth. “You seem like happy men. Were those warrior monks a pleasant surprise?” It clearly wasn’t for him. Servants scurried behind him, in and out of the doors, propping up flowers, replacing tea.

“Any additional troops are a pleasant surprise for the war effort.”

“Ahhh yes the war effort.” He rubbed his leathery hands together and grinned. “Quiet nowadays isn’t it?”

“Anything’s quiet if you block your ears enough.” I shot back.

“The war is indeed why Yuki-san and I are here.” Munetsune interjected in a more moderate tone. “We have more troops arriving tomorrow.”

“And they need accommodation.” I added bluntly.

“So?”

“Well your men in the barracks surely have homes in the city so I’m not sure why they require room in the barracks.”

“We’re at war as you pointed out. It’s all about the war effort.” His oval-shaped eyes were placid and docile, hiding something.

“They can be quickly moved back if a Mori force appears out of nowhere.” Fusamori looked less than pleased. I didn’t really want his men in the castle even if a Mori forced appeared.

“Very well, how many of my men should I relay the bad news to.”

“Is it bad news that they can go back to their wives and families?”

“You seem to have an idolised view of how enjoyable a family is, Yuki-san.”

“Maybe.” I shrugged.

“Won’t be more than seventy five.” Munetsune answered.

“Not many men. Has Sorin-tono forgotten about you two?” He relished in the idea that he had.

“I can assure you they are very well armed and trained. And let’s hope for your sake he hasn’t.”

“My sake?” He was looking to bait me and I had so nearly fallen in. I tiptoed around my response with caution.

“I fear you’d lose your castle to a Mori force without the threat of a larger Otomo army.” I replied cordially.

“What are these men?” He ignored the fake pleasantries I had offered him instead of the anger he wanted.

“Gaijin mercenaries. Armed with a teppos and pikes. I believe they call themselves ‘Tercios’.”

“Gaijin.” Fusamori grimly repeated.

“Yes, gaijin.” Munetsune shot me a look of warning. And with that I felt the conversation could be gladly ended. “Good day, Fusamori-san.” I bowed and left with haste.

“Fusamori-san.” I heard Munetsune echo and then him follow. “Well that was fun.” He smirked.

“Quite.”

“Not too strong on the idea of subtlety, I see.”

“Only when it’s needed.”

“Too right. The mutual dislike between us and Fusamori-san is very open. Why should we need subtlety?”

“Exactly.” I continued the fast pace. I needed to simply collapse in my quarters, I underestimated the energy needed to deal with the stuff that was being thrust upon me.

“They must be onto us by now.”

“Does it matter? Aren’t we trying to provoke them?” We both looked at each in confusion.

“So the plan was to provoke them?” Munetsune asked.

“I thought so.” I answered meekly.

“All good then.”

“Amateur plotters we are.” I said with an exhausted laugh.

“Yes, yes we are. Well played indeed, that wasn’t so much a gentle poke but rather a forceful stab. The tiger must wake up now.”

“Thank you.” We reached my quarters. “I don’t think Fusamora-san is so much a tiger but rather a, a fat, greedy cow.” Munetsune smiled and nodded his head in agreement. I slid open the fusuma just enough for me to slip through. “Until tomorrow?”

“Tired are we?”

“I did most of the talking today. All you did was gawk.”

“Observe, my friend. It’s called observing.”

“Call it whatever you want Munetsune-san.” I bowed then slipped through and into my quarters. Papers and all sorts of official whats its were strewn everywhere. I wondered if Suzume had replied to my letters. I rummaged through the mess but in vain. Maybe she’s finally annoyed the man in charge of the crows enough, I thought as I collapsed onto my bed.

1Akkorokamui- A mythical Japanese monster that is similar to a giant octopus or squid. More here.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter XXXVIII 26/1)

I envy your ability to write dialogue Merchant, great job.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    I envy your ability to write dialogue Merchant, great job.
    Thanks though I feel there was a bit too much dialogue in the last chapter. And why do you need my so called 'ability' to write dialogue when you have your beautiful descriptive prose?

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

From someone who writes too little it didn't both me in the slightest.

And because you need people talking otherwise things wouldn't get very interesting. But thank-you, I'm humbled you think of it so.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Good chapter, I enjoyed the mutual confusion over Japanese and European cultures and I'm intrigued by the arrival of warrior monks. I wonder what reaction the provocation will produce.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Another great update, Merchant. Shankbot's right to say you do dialogue well, and Alwyn's right about the cultural differences. I really enjoyed that one.

(I haven't forgotten about my promise to read and comment on recent chapters. Real Life turned out to be slightly harder to squash than I hoped. Haven't quite got to the end of the chapters I chose, but I will, honest...)

Chapter XXXIX- Noble intentions?

1559- Mid-summer

Emura Akara

They didn’t spend long in the bedroom together as it was morning and the morning brought people fresh and awake and it brought illuminating and incriminating sunlight that spared little room for secrets; especially dirty secrets like those Akara and Taketsune had just created.

She lay sprawled on her bed, sheets and pillows no longer immaculately laid out, a great storm, isolated only to that room, having swept through- or so it seemed. She was giddy, excited, exhilarated.

Her laugh was detached and insane, like an omniscient god’s had replaced her own. She laughed at Taketsune, slinking out of her room, their lies hanging by the coincidence of the movements of the servants which might bring him and one of them into a most unlucky chance meeting that would quite likely give the servant a very bad, very dangerous idea. She laughed at last night in all its passion and wildness, at the tender kisses and fiery embraces, at the pleasure he brought her and the pleasure she delivered to him. She laughed at herself lying there amongst a shipwreck of bedding. Finally, she laughed at herself laughing.

Then the laugh was gone. Maybe it was kami’s laugh infecting her. Maybe it was something built up within her which, like an angry and impatient volcano, could no longer be contained anymore. Maybe it was the air.

Oh what a stupid thing I’ve done, she thought jovially.

“Oh what a stupid thing I’ve done.” She repeated out aloud, cheerily. “Oh what a stupid thing I’ve done.” She exclaimed, mildly. “Oh what a stupid thing I’ve done.” She announced, pitifully. “Oh what a stupid thing I’ve done.” She echoed, depressingly.

Oh what a stupid thing I’ve done, she thought once again, the allure lost in its repetition.

Her body felt like a big mixing pot of emotions and feelings and sensations, all hostile to each other and eager to be provoked and to provoke. It was all through her body, from the lobe of her right ear to her left breast and to the second smallest toe on each foot.

But she could feel it seeping out as she thought on it, oozing into the bed, from the bed into the floor, from the floor travelling up into the walls, from the walls to the windows and from the windows it drifted freely on whatever morning breeze it could hook itself to and it left for a place where it would create less insanity and less harm than it did, momentarily, to the wife of Chosokabe Motochika.

Who now also the secret lover of the third born of son of a minor warlord who swore fealty to an average warlord who in turn was a vassal of the mighty Chosokabe clan.

She lifted her head upwards a tiny bit, just enough to survey the room. “My kimono, my kimono, where’s my kimono?” She let her head fall back- it was probably hiding under a pillow or sheet, or both. Either way, she enjoyed the freedom that a lack of clothes offers. And it also made her think back to him, to all the things he’d done. All the things she’d consigned to hopeless, romantic fantasies.

He’s probably safe by now, she sighed. She wanted him there with her, not pretending he’d slept in his own bed, but she recognised she couldn’t have it all her own way. There was no trouble on his end, he only had a young page who Taketsune had assured to Akara knew the boundaries. He was catered to only by the castle servants.

It was worth it, some flash, some wave went through her body. Very worth it, she smiled. She drew arbitrary and nonsensical shapes on the bed with a wandering finger while the rest of her body just lay there, blissfully rising and falling in the rhythmic following of her breaths, which were deep and meditative.

The world behind her closed eyes wasn’t dark at all. The sunlight seemed to penetrate her eyelids, delivering an array of abstract, flowing colours, a pool of swirling yellows and vibrant oranges and blood reds. She dived into this pool, its warmth comforting. She swam around, at times floating lazily on the surface, the threat of going under always looming but always dismissed by Akara. Other times she would dive deep into the colour and light, only for her head to emerge, breathless and smiling. And then his head joined her and his body and she flung around him and held tightly and whispered to him a lost language. And then it was completely light and it was her bedroom.

The day dream was spoilt now that she had opened her eyes and reality was once again the boring norm.

She wanted to call for Ayame but she didn't want anyone else to answer so she decided against it. The girl would come, she was too nice and obedient not to. Akara prepared what she was going to say to her and then lost it all as her her mind wandered somewhere else.

She rolled onto her stomach and began thinking, in earnest, what the day had in store for her. She planned on calling some sort of meeting, a council of sorts. In the absence of the Otomo and her husband she planned to rule the city. After all, no one else had more of a right to then her, she was Kunichika’s representative, all of his power here was vested in her. He might not know but surely he wouldn’t object to the daughter of one of his eldest friends and the wife of his heir.

She began planning who to include in her small councils. The castellan would have to have a spot and was old and honourable enough that she could easily manipulate him. She’d stick Taketsune there as well despite the danger, he could never stand against her after last night, although she prayed he wouldn’t do anything foolish. Whoever was master of the coin would get a spot as well as someone else in charge of something military like. She would include the leftover sons of the major lords and she would seduce them with wayward looks and the words they wanted to hear and then they would be her men. Lastly she would need a righteous monk, an honest man with morals, for whom she could play the innocent. And they would kneel at a table where she knelt at the head and they would debate and sometimes argue but would always reach the decision she wanted, though they would claim it were their own intentions. Sh would commission buildings and upgrades, improve the defences, be kind to the poor, meet new allies and placate those who thought themselves enemies. And after six months, when the war in Kyushu would be finished and many of the Otomo would return as well as her darling husband they would all remark on how the city was in even better shape. And she’d remind them that she, at the behest of the benevolent Kunichika-tono and her darling husband, had been the architect of it all. They would forget quickly once peace eroded their minds of hardship what she had done but they wouldn’t forget her. She would then return to Tosu and although her legacy in Bungo had faded, she would have enough contacts and allies to rule that city as well.

“Hime?” The sound of Ayame banished the scheming part of Akara and in its place the excited, giddy girl returned. She ran to the door and slid it open a fraction just enough that Ayame could slip in but nobody else could if there was anyone else there. “Should I come back at a different time?” Ayame asked as she noticed Akara’s lack of clothes.

“Don’t be silly.” She pulled her by the hand into the bedroom and onto the bed. “So?”

“So hime?” Responded Ayame, scared that it could quickly turn into an interrogation.

“Questions?” Akara asked expectantly.

“About?” Akara sighed in frustration, the girl was too innocent.

“How was your night, Ayame-san.” She asked instead.

“Good, hime.” Ayame replied, constantly shifting her eyes. She’d seen Akara naked many a time, bathing, dressing etc, but she still couldn’t manage to look at her. The result was a rather amusing effect.

“What did you do?” Akara questioned further.

“I went back to the servant’s quarter and slept, hime.” Akara listened intently, hoping Ayame would follow when Akara told her story. “Was I meant to do something else, hime?”

“Not at all.”

“Hime, if I am.”

“Yes, Ayame-san.”

“Last night?”

“Yes?”

“What was Taketsune-san doing here?"

“Dining with me.” Akara replied very coy, though Ayame seemed content with the answer. “And then he kissed me.” Ayame gasped, her young, cautious mind trying to grasp the whole thing.

“Hime!”

“And then I kissed him back.” She squeezed the young girl’s hand, as if to reassure her and contain her over-excitement and shock at the story.

“Did you and him errrr sleep together?”

“We barely slept the traditional way all night.” She giggled, Ayame couldn’t decide on her reaction.”

“But hime.”

“My darling husband?”

“Yes, Motochika-tono.”

“Ayame-san, my dear you don’t think I wouldn’t make sure of things.”

“No hime.” Ayame conceded. “What was it like.” Her eyes burned with intrigue and curiosity.

“What do you think of Taketsune-san?” Akara asked idly first.

“He’s errr, very good-looking, hime.”

“He is. Oh it was amazing, Ayame-san. most amazing.” She gazed at a spot behind Ayame, her thoughts far away. “I even forgot about my darling husband.” Her smile was tortured though, forced, laughing at her own pain.

“Hime, when you said yesterday about teaching me what did you errr mean exactly?”

“I meant I would help you in the arts of love.” She broke her gaze off and turned her attention solely to Ayame. “Men like women who know what they’re doing because often they don’t.”

“Maybe I should just wait until I get married.”

“This is in preparation for that, Ayame-san.”

‘But my father-”

“Won’t be able to find the sort of husband I can.”

“But-”

“And while I search for a husband for you I can teach you the finer points of love.” Akara pushed herself up and wondered over to the other room. She found her kimono under a mountain of pillows. She slipped into it, Ayame looking much more comfortable. “Shall we start?”

“Errrr hime.” Akara held Ayame’s hands gently.

“It will be alright.” Ayame offered a meek smile. Akara leant in slowly and kissed her lips. Unsure of what to do, Ayame did nothing and Akara withdrew. “Have you ever been kissed before?”

“No, hime.” Ayame’s face flushed with embarrassment. “Can we?”

“Yes.” Akara leant in again and was met halfway by Ayame, whose lips, though still hesitant, returned the kiss.

“It…it is,” Ayame faltered for a description.

“That was your first lesson.” Akara smiled warmly at the girl. “Have the rest of the day off, Ayame-chan.”

“Have I done something wrong, hime?”

“Not at all.” She cupped the girl’s face with one of her hands. “Go out into the city, wander the gardens, stay here or in your quarters. Kiss someone.” Ayame looked down at her feet. “Do whatever you want, you have shown courage. I also expect to be out for the rest of the day, important matters seem to be attracted to me.”

“Thank you hime.” Akara watched as the young girl, a mix of embarrassed, excited and the fear that accompanies such forays into the unknown, walked off, almost skipping every second step, as if she was too self-conscious to do it every step. A tea pot caught Akara’s eye and she poured some tea, now tepid at best, into a porcelain cup. It was bitter when it lacked warmth and little dark specks floated freely around in it. But she found some joy, being in the elevated state of mind she was in, in the cold tea, the unloved sister of the beverage so loved by commoners, nobles and emperors alike.

The morning was getting later but still she sat cross-legged, sipping the cold tea, amongst the wreckage of last night like some supernatural child who, possessed by an evil kami, had created a tempest with just her thoughts. Little bits of nervousness and unsureness were sprinkled on her lips, left over from Ayame. She thought back to the kiss, to the still lips she wrapped hers around trying to evoke a response. It was a first of Akara as well, she’d never kissed a girl before. There was a girl once who she had exchanged a peck on the cheek with back when she was some younger age, six or eight or ten or something. In a time when kisses were scandalous and not just some frivolous exchange between a drunk and whore, a different time, a different world. When it was perennially spring no matter the season. When she was safe in her father’s arms.

She found herself wanting Ayame, needing another kiss. She began to notice subtleties in her she hadn’t seen before even under the analytic eye she sometimes viewed people through. Her soft breathing, the changes in pitch when she spoke, the delicate colours of her cheeks, the subtleties of her figure. She put a finger to her bottom lip and left it there, making her lips pursed just a fraction. Then, in a breath, whatever it was was exhaled out and her desires once again clung and wrapped themselves around Taketsune. Her trail of thought drifted off into a series of imaginary scenes.

It was proving to be a most nice and gentle summer’s day, where Amaterasu bestowed her blessing on her children and everyone was all the more jovial for it. She decided, once her fantasies began to go around in circles, to begin the organisation of the plan. She would visit each personally to elicit their acceptance and then they would take their first sitting later today.

She bathed quickly, cold drops awakening her from the semi-delirious state she had been in. She put on a red kimono and atop it a red bolted kimono. The extra layer made the world a much more stuffy and worse place and restricted her movement. Impressions, she reminded herself. They were a cage, imprisoning, like the set of clothes she wore. But they was also a key to power.

She visited Yatsuka Hasama first, the old castellan, who sat writing and signing things in his study. He told her to excuse the mess and stuttered and stammered even when she was clothed. He apologised for the previous day (while secretly enjoying the memories) and offered to send word before he came next time to avoid the recurrence of such a situation. He was even more exhausted at her proposal of a council and stuttered and stammered even more in search for an excuse. He gave in eventually, a victim of her onslaught of compliments, flattery and exuberant youth, the latter which he found energising not for vanity but rather the energy needed to complete everything. After she had weathered him down she indulged him in the telling of some stories before leaving. An honest man defeated by dishonest work, she mused on her way out, beneath the almost daughterly smile she gave him. The old man said good bye distractedly as he fought off certain thoughts.

Next she talked with Kibe Masachika, him too a man surrounded by paper but so neatly organised it bordered on its own form of chaos because of the fragility of the order. He signed and sorted through documents in a methodical and pragmatic way. Akara was aware how desperate he was to prove himself; the usual occupant of the position of steward was managing the finances of the army up north and so Kibe Masachika thought it his chance. A small lord from west of Bungo, he was a master of numbers and accounts, the previous occupant only retaining his position through being a more experience and powerful man. He agreed to her ideas, eager to be scene doing things and even more eager to be included.

She passed Taketsune as she walked briskly through the gardens, coming to a complete halt at the sight of him. He was reading under a small maple tree, slumped against the trunk, legs out and holding the scroll up and out from him. His eyes darted up from the page and met hers and could no longer even pretend to read. He pushed himself up, brushed the leaves, twigs and dirt from his clothes and walked over with the gate of someone trying not to run. She told him the plan, succinctly and professionally. He agreed, as if it was not a foregone conclusion and went to touch her but she retreated, apologised with a faint smile (which for most proved enough), bowed and shuffled off as her feat forgot the art of walking. He retuned to his book, disappointed yet thrilled like lovers often are when their greetings are few and far between.

Shimotsuma Tanekore, a small man with an even smaller personality, was her next target. The man in charge of spies and secrets may not have been the best men to see immediately after her lover but the thought hadn’t occurred to her beforehand. She was sure of her ability to take him anyway. He too was reading and he made various comments on it at first as his form of small talk. She noted down internally his comments on the scroll as well as the scroll itself, for later reading. She expected no overt disagreement from him, it would give him a golden opportunity to spy on the only important people left in Bungo. He agreed as was expected and went back to the scroll before Akara had even left. She left without further ceremony. Work needed on that one.

Yochii Shigechika was a young, scruffy man, seventeen, sent to train in Bungo and prevented from fighting in the war. He lounged around in his quarters, drinking and gambling and not doing much training. He was alone when Akara met him. He wreaked of sake, the way her darling husband did, and eyed her eagerly, the way her darling husband did, his drunk state wiping his memory of her darling husband and his protectiveness of what he saw as his. She told him to freshen up, as if she was his mother, and ordered the servants to remove and dispose of the drink. He was stubborn at first, a little kid wanting to keep his toys but after a few compliments and wayward, suggestive glances which may or may not have given him the impression he stood a chance, he was on board. She had the servants bring him some food as a reward, as one would an obedient child, and asked them to tell him in a few hours time to meet them. She left him gorging on the food and in no doubt about to fall asleep as the sake took its toll.

She had three more people to see but the lack of sleep was beginning to set in. She carried on through though and cursed the eventful night before.

Yanagawa Koretsugu, was a minor lord of somewhere north of Bungo belonging to a family ‘centuries loyal to the Otomo’ or so he said. He was stout, loud and quite clearly lovesick for war. His limp, the result of nothing glorious or interesting, was the author of this cruel fate. He mumbled after finishing sentences and mostly mumbled absolute nothing, just a strange mixture of curses and growls. He questioned her relentlessly, petty questions, self-serving questions, never ending questions. As if it was a mere way to pass the time. She smiled and answered and nodded and ‘hmmmmed’ and agreed and concurred and smiled once more. He grumbled in acceptance eventually, mumbled something then reaffirmed his acceptance to both himself and Akara. Akara noted down him as an easy one.

Mimata Masataka was a welcome relief for Akara from the rudeness and demanding nature Yanagawa Koretsugu. He was twenty or so, polite and measured in his speech. An attractive man, hazelnut hair and grey eyes that analysed you like a cat. He was like Taketsune and maybe in a different world where they hadn’t met she would have fallen for him instead. He received her idea with kindness, listening to her attentively and at the end smiled and said yes. Yet Akara couldn’t figure out why this perfectly fit man was in Bungo not up north where surely even younger man were dying. He had said to her he was looking for something interesting and he seemed to have found it at last to which she then replied that it would be most serious and not fun. An awkward smile followed ended by an uproarious laughter from him as he finally got it. She refrained from talking further, he was dangerous and she was weak-willed at the current time. He opened the fusuma himself to let her out and his cat eyes caught hers for a moment and then thinking her but a mouse, let them go to be killed another time. She smiled at him as she bowed and left to hide her own thoughts, her own analysis of the situation, her own schemes and plans from his invasive stare.

At last she reached the small quarters of Hita Akichika. One room lay between the entrance and a small, closed of squad courtyard. Stepping stones led form the room to the centre of the courtyard, a small circle for sitting and contemplation, encircled by a sea of drifting sand, raked into patterns like the currents of the ocean. Hit Akichika was the court’s spiritual advisor of sorts, the man who counselled Otomo Sorin on the matters of the faith, quickly and without the pomp and ceremony often required upon visiting a temple or monastery. Despite Sorin’s conversion to Christianity, his advice still proved useful and he served the other nobles as much as he did Sorin. His head was shaved, his face was worn and his eyes were mirrors. He had declined to join the campaigning army, instead sending a disciple of a friend of his. Akara had exchanged pleasantries before with him when they had crossed paths in the gardens or the hallways but never had a proper conversation with him.

Akara stood alone; she was told he would be there but only silence seemed to meet her. Suddenly she could hear a door sliding open and emerged Hita Akichika from one of his other rooms. His face was like a grandparent’s seeing their grandchild, happy and surprised that they still remembered them.

“Akara-sama, nice to finally meet you.” He bowed low and she retuned it. “Are you in need of my service or is this just a courtesy call?”

“Neither, Akichika-sama. I have a proposition.”

“Do relax then.” He motioned towards a low table and the cushions that circled it. “The tea is cold, I’m afraid. Would you like me to get some hot tea sent up?”

“It’s fine thank you.”

“How is the war going up north?” He said as he slowly and achingly knelt. “Word from your husband yet?” Akara was slightly frustrated at the attempts at small talk. She was tired and would have to put up with the first council meeting and all the bickering and squabbling that would accompany it.

“Not as yet, they left barely a day ago. He’s not that infatuated.” Akara beamed a smile. Akichika, though not able to beam a smile in his old age, smiled back at the thought of what he saw as young love.

“I wish you two a happy marriage.” Too late for that.

“I wish only to produce heirs and to serve the clan.” She repeated, excellent in her faked obedience. I would never do such a cruel act as to bring offspring of my darling husband into this world.

“If I were a drinking man I would drink to that.” If only you knew. “Such a selfless woman.”

“Sadly my offer does not concern my lord husband. In such dark times and with so many of our nobles sacrificing their lives fighting, I thought this city needs some proper leadership.” Akichika went to interject but stayed his hand. “I hope that you would be part of a council whose aim would be to make the necessary decisions for this city. Such a council of course would be in need of your council and advice.”

“You have noble intentions, Akara-san.”

“Thank you, Akichika-sama.”

“I would be honoured to if it is a way to serve the Otomo, the people and the gods.”

“Your acceptance means a lot to me, thank you Akichika-san.” This is going better than expected. “Is there anything else you wish to discuss?”

“No Akichika-sama. I am quite tired and need to prepare for the first meeting.”

“Problems sleeping?” He implied nothing but to her it was a dangerous question.

“No, just all this planning for the council.”

“Truly selfless.” He said, without a hint of irony.

“See you at the meeting.” Akara bowed and then left. Just as she left she was overcome with a dizziness, sending her whole world into motion. She leant agains the wall for support. “Stay strong.” She reminded herself.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Way of the Bow:A Chosokabe AAR-(Updated Chapter XXXIX 19/4)

Congratulations on your well-earned Gold Writers' Study Competition Medal! How did you learn to write this well? I would seriously like to know. Your phrasing works brilliantly, I especially like "illuminating and incriminating sunlight that spared little room for secrets" and the description of the man who is "stout, loud and quite clearly lovesick for war". The repetition of "She laughed..." and the further repetition of "Oh what a stupid thing I've done", highlight the intensity and variety of the feelings which Emura Akara is going through. It sounds like Emura Akara has formed an imaginative plan to extend her influence through manipulation of individuals and of the populace in general. The way that you describe each character who Akara wants to recruit for her council, and her assessment of each one, is like a masterclass in creating characters.

I have been away too long - I've been missing out on a new chapter!

As always, Merchant, it's gripping stuff. The idea of Akara having a "small council" reminds me a lot of A Song of Ice and Fire. (Not to mention all the plotting, scheming and sex. ) Are you planning to turn Akara into Cersei? Is Akara slightly more out of her depth than she thinks?

I look forward to finding out, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Congratulations on your well-earned Gold Writers' Study Competition Medal! How did you learn to write this well? I would seriously like to know. Your phrasing works brilliantly, I especially like "illuminating and incriminating sunlight that spared little room for secrets" and the description of the man who is "stout, loud and quite clearly lovesick for war". The repetition of "She laughed..." and the further repetition of "Oh what a stupid thing I've done", highlight the intensity and variety of the feelings which Emura Akara is going through. It sounds like Emura Akara has formed an imaginative plan to extend her influence through manipulation of individuals and of the populace in general. The way that you describe each character who Akara wants to recruit for her council, and her assessment of each one, is like a masterclass in creating characters.
    Hahaha thank you so much for your comments and encouragements and continued reading, I really like that line, some lines just come to you I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh View Post
    I have been away too long - I've been missing out on a new chapter!

As always, Merchant, it's gripping stuff. The idea of Akara having a "small council" reminds me a lot of A Song of Ice and Fire. (Not to mention all the plotting, scheming and sex. ) Are you planning to turn Akara into Cersei? Is Akara slightly more out of her depth than she thinks?

I look forward to finding out, anyway.
    Think of Akara as more akin to Margaery Tyrell rather than Cercei, well I hope she sounds like that. Despite her plotting I want to make sure her humanity and kindness stays constant. I'm excited for her plot line.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Been quite a while since I've read this and it's great to still see it going strong. The last chapter was great Akara is a great character and I look forward to seeing her develop.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Well, I'm not entirely convinced GRRM's Margaery is much better than Cersei (just younger, and on the way up rather than on the way down). So I'm particularly pleased you're going to let Akara keep her humanity and kindness. I'm looking forward to seeing how her character will develop.

okay
    Last edited by RodentDung; June 24, 2016 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh View Post
    Well, I'm not entirely convinced GRRM's Margaery is much better than Cersei (just younger, and on the way up rather than on the way down). So I'm particularly pleased you're going to let Akara keep her humanity and kindness. I'm looking forward to seeing how her character will develop.
    Idk I have a different view of her. Tyrian's views on his childhood and his relationships with Jaime and Cersei (albeit biased) seemed to indicate that Cersei didn't really ever have a kind soul while I can see Margaery as being kind (though she may not be at all tbh). I want them to be different from both of them however and will definitely try and keep her a lot nicer deep down.

Quote Originally Posted by RodentDung View Post
    Hello, how do you make and imbed the nice pictures in this story? They are cropped, framed and don't have any info panels in them. Please teach me or tell me where to find information.
    Thanks for reading RodentDung, let me just remember how I did the screenshots it's been such a long time since I have included them. Usually they are either taken in battle replays or custom battles I've made to take the landscape shots and simpler photos. For battle photos I play the battle as normal and then save it as a replay (this can be done in the end of battle screen). I then go into the battle replay section in the main menu, watch the replay and take screenshots of the interesting parts. To get rid of all the UI and info panels I press "K" (might be different just check the controls menu in your game, it might be different) and then just take normal Steam screenshots (cbf instilling Fraps or anything). I use a bit of photoshop magic to jazz and spice them up a bit and then the frames I got from the game itself. I took them from the messages you get in the campaign and cropped out the middle to get only the frame. I'd be happy to give you or anyone else the frame pngs or psds if you want.

Nearly finished next Suzume chapter, hope you guys will like it.

okay
    Last edited by RodentDung; June 24, 2016 at 10:00 AM.

Yeah no worries. Do you want the psd files if you have photoshop, they might be a bit easier to use than just pngs.

okay
    Last edited by RodentDung; June 24, 2016 at 10:00 AM.

I sent you a PM trying to explain it rather than clogging up this thread.

Chapter XXXX- The Tiger and the Eagle

1559- Mid-summer

Suzume

The dreams stopped after that night. Sleep was but a blank canvas with no paint to make it alive. When she lay down weary at night she woke up seconds after and it was morning and she was a little less weary.

And the time awake wasn’t much better than those dreams. She had left the village that morning after breakfast and the days had somehow gotten longer and more exhausting. She walked without purpose, lost though she knew where she was going, without a sense of meaning. Shun seemed to pick up on it as well, plodding along, apples merely another fruit. The countryside blurred into nothing, the warmth of the sun tepid, the colours of the fields dulled, the sounds of life muffled. Nor did much go on within her mind, no thoughts of real substance, no ideas, no hope. She thought occasionally on Daisuki and Haruki but only with dampened melancholy, too exhausted of mind and body to allocate energy to pondering whether she should return and live out the war, live out the rest of her life even, with them.

She could never return to them of course, she could never be such a burden to them for the sake of her own comfort. She was wanted, not officially or legally, but what did that matter, she was wanted nonetheless and wanted by such a man as the heir to the Chosokabe, a man with little love, mercy or compassion. Or patience. She needed to find refuge in some place immune to the wants of the Chosokabe heir or at least isolated enough by distance from them. Their little house was neither.

In the absence of dreams she thought on her plans and quickly worries and fears filled the void the dreams once occupied. The journey so far had not been immensely toiling and that had lulled her into very much a false sense of security. Even if she made it to Kitsuki, where would she go next? Mori ships patrolled the seas as far as Suzume knew, having heard something along the lines from Yuki before he left in one of his rants about the whole war. She thought on perhaps disappearing into the forest and mountains north of Kitsuki, relying on the honesty and kindness of monks and isolated villagers. But running into the wilderness again would only help them catch her where no one would know. She had to go to Kitsuki, as far as she was concerned, it was the only way not to play into the hands of her enemies.

And so, she walked briskly towards Kitsuki. The mare neighed as if to demand that the pace be one of a more leisurely style. Suzume didn’t answer in voice or action. She was at war with herself, battling the fear and deflation within. She didn’t need to bicker with Shun.

She spent the night huddled against a tree, behind some concealing bushes and a far way away from the road. She had tied the mare up, in hope she wouldn’t draw any attention to herself. A chilly breeze played amongst the leaves and rose the hairs on the skin of Suzume. She woke at dawn, didn’t eat and left as soon as she could get the mare to move. She made her way back to the road and continued along at an even more brisker pace, a pace unsurprisingly disliked by the mare. An hour or two before noon, they ate and moved along again without even time to digest the food. A bit after noon they ate again, in what would prove the last meal before a late dinner. She rode the mare in an awkward cross between simple plodding along and a gallop, the result of Suzume not knowing how to get the mare to gallop and the mare having long forgotten to, and with no intention of learning again, how to gallop. The mare could feel the distress in Suzume and so tried her best but it wasn’t much of an improvement. In the middle of the afternoon, with the sun shining angrily, they resumed simply walking.

Just before nightfall she found another protected patch, set up camp which consisted of nothing really except placing her sack on the ground next to her and lay down and waited for sleep. It came but their liaison proved unsatisfactory for both parties and she woke a dreamless, bored lover and set out again for the day, breakfast deemed yet again unimportant enough to wait. The mare, though unhappy with the seriousness and military precision of it all, went along. She only needed a quick remembrance of her former home in Bungo where only the young stable boy had proved a friend, for her to be gracious of Suzume. But being an animal she showed this gratitude in weird and strange ways.

The next night again she went to sleep merely because life had so far indicated she should and with her rebellious spirit faltering, she lay down submissively and let the bigger dog of sleep take her. Again she woke alone and tired, disciplined if nothing else. The mare neighed to signal her dislike of this early rising thing.

“I know, I know…” Suzume trailed off before she could add anything else.

Noon came and went with little ceremony, the sun descending through the afternoon until the moon took her place. Somewhere in the distance, running water washed under worn stone. Somewhere in the distance, two lovers met under a tree in most passionate secrecy. Somewhere in the distance a mother gave birth to a son or daughter, but either one would surely suffer in the years to come. And somewhere in the world, as there always is, war loomed over the lives of many for the gain of a few. Somewhere in the vast countryside of Kyushu lay a girl, alone and scared once again.

Who tracks the tracker?

It was a funny thought for Jirou to have who, by chance, was doing exactly that. He had been doing it for the past couple of days and the thought kept recurring to him. Ever since the evening of the festival a few nights ago, he’d been on this hunt. The samurai strode in to the village in the den of night, all egotistical and important and obviously looking for something or someone. Jirou was curious with what this apex predator was stalking so, like a scavenger, he trailed behind this mighty tiger.

He liked to think of himself however as more of an eagle, soaring above everything, rather than a hungry, lone wolf limping from kill to kill. And while this tiger was good at hunting, he was not so good at not being hunted. Jirou tracked him with ease. Twenty-five or so, Jirou was a young man with all the passions of young men- women, drink, glory. He was already an accomplished hunter and archer and both were his primary source of income. He would have been marching from Buzen if his lord did’t want him dead.

The night was warm; Jirou enjoyed warm nights. They smelt and felt of women, drink and glory. This one wreaked of glory, hopefully the money taken from this tiger would pay for more than a few drinks and surprisingly (and quite luckily) there seemed to be a woman in the mix. Somehow.

The tiger strode confidently through the night, smaller creatures scurrying out of his way. He grunted and roared softly. He was in love with his own roar. Leaves crunched under his mighty paws. Twenty metres or so, Jirou's footsteps would have made a feather’s self-conscious about its weight. One hand gripped a bow, the other hung by his side twitching to grab an arrow from the quill. He coud see the girl now, she was only a dark figure lying on dark ground amongst a dark night but it was enough. He could see the tiger eyeing her hungrily. He picked up his pace and reached for an arrow. The tiger unsheathed a tanto, the blade catching the moon’s light. Jirou notched the arrow, he would only need one. One step. Two steps. The tiger was moving ever closer. Jirou relished in the predator’s overconfidence and lack of awareness. The tiger crouched and sniffed his prey. Jirou took one last correction of his aim, took a silent breath and just before the tiger could pounce, he fired the arrow. In an instance, it soared through the air in between Jirou and the lord of animals and found its target true. Jirou was already half way to the wounded beast by the time it let out a measly meow in reply. He drew his tanto and readied for the final blow. He darted between trees, a passing shadow. He leapt over that were there and even logs that weren’t. He was flying through the darkness. The tiger panicked. Its ears perked up, trying to find where the crunching of leaves under a quick foot was coming from. It looked around frantically before from the shadows emerged a man and from the man emerged a dagger that pierced the animal’s heart and the black beast was lowered to the ground, guided by the eagle.

The enormous wings of an eagle passed across the moon, plunging the world into momentary darkness. The eagle let out a laugh, a laugh that travelled across the world. Beneath, amongst fields of grass that were as tall as giants, a tiger bounded towards his prey, its strong legs propelling it forwards with all the majesty of nature.

Suzume found herself bathing in a glittering stream. Fish played between her toes. The tiger emerged from the grass, strong and powerful. She didn’t panic- she was in awe. He was kingly, commanding everything around him. But before she could stare at such a beast for any longer the eagle swooped from the heavens and landed on the tiger’s back. It all happened in a flurry of fur and feathers, the eagle clawing at the tiger king in front of her with its razor-sharp talons until the tiger collapsed in a pool of it own blood, felled by the lord of the skies. And as quickly as it had descended from the skies, it vanished and only a man was left. He stripped. He stared at Suzume, sent her a whiff of a smile and sauntered down to the water’s edge. He walked in slowly, wincing as the water lapped at recently made scars that seemed to litter his body. She simply stared, at his body, at his eyes, at his lips. She knew he wasn’t Yuki. She knew, she knew…..

And then the river stunk with the stench of death and then reality did too.

Suzume screamed when the smell entered her nostrils. She screamed again when a tanto glistened next to her. She screamed for a third time when she was shushed by a voice from a man she couldn’t see.

“Please scream louder. We could make it a competition.” The moon, free from a cloud, gave light to the situation. She saw a man holding a bow in one hand and a tanto in another and in front lay another man, though she suspected he was dead.

“Who, who are you?”

“Me?” Suzume nodded. “I can tell you who I’m not.” He chuckled in anticipation. “This poor guy’s friend.” The joke sent the man into a laughing fit. Suzume looked down at the dead man, then back up at the living man, then back down to the dead man and still couldn’t find anything humorous in him. “No I think if we’d met for any longer than a few seconds it took me to end his self-important life,” the living man continued between giggles presumably because the dead man hadn’t responded to the joke, “we might have argued. Although, we very much could have made love right after arguing if he wasn’t so dead. I’ve been with feistier girls.” Suzume didn’t respond to his little humble brag and tired and unable to see in the dark she was on the whole unimpressed with Jirou’s show of wit. “Jirou-san.” He added and bowed formally.

“Who was he?” Suzume asked as she stared at whatever she could see of the dead man in the moonlight.

“I can tell you who he’s not.” Started Jirou.

“You’re friend?” Suzume went on the front foot and anticipated the joke.

“Yes!” Jirou answered, genuinely impressed at how quickly she was picking up the game. “Nor was he me.”

“What?” Suzume was yet again completely lost.

“Because obviously I’m me.” Suzume stared blankly at him. “Anyway he was a tiger, and chan you were his delicious prey.”

“Did you just call me delicious?”

“Seriously out of the part of him being a beast and hunting you down you chose to focus on the adjective I used to describe you?” It was then that the enormity of the situation dawned on Suzume. She gasped and jumped up and into her saviour’s arms.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you.” She sobbed. He patted her comfortingly despite holding a bloody tanto in his hand at a most awkward position to ensure he didn’t accidentally stab her.

“Quick question that has only just occurred to me. Why does he want to kill you? Or wanted to at least." He added with his customary wit.

“Nothing.” Suzume sobbed even harder. “It’s what someone else did.”

“I won’t ask any more.” Jirou chose wisely, respecting the right for one to keep their possibly fatal secrets. “Do I at least get a kiss for my efforts?” She gave him a peck on the cheek and then he felt what must be a knee press gently against his lower, rather precious regions. “Ok, thank you very much. Message received.”

After she had squeezed the life out of him, she walked away to check on the mare. Jirou was left wondering what would happen next. The night had differed to what he expected it to end up like and he was confused at a rare lack of disappointment in the outcome of the night. He seemed indifferent to it. While all these relatively new feelings and thoughts infested his mind, Suzume came back over.

“Brought some supplies?” Suzume asked, already planning ahead.

“Yeah they’re with my horse, somewhere that way. It’ll be easier to get them in the morning.” Suzume nodded in agreement, paused for thought then decided on what would happen next.

“I’m going back to sleep so you can do whatever you want I guess.” A thought entered into Jirou's head but she cowled at him and it was sent briskly on its way. She lay back down where she had been before and her saviour awkwardly lay down a few metres away. His tanto stood in the ground beside him and his bow and quiver rested against a tree. He stared at them to get to sleep.

He had learnt to ride a horse at five, use a bow at seven and properly hunt at ten. He lived a relatively peaceful, happy life before his father was killed in a petty battle between petty lords for a petty piece of land and his mother dragged away by some soldiers. As she was dragged away kicking and screaming he stared at his father’s bow and wanted to use it but his mother knew, as mothers know, and yelled at him to run away and run away quickly. He was just a boy, he didn’t know what to do, what was happening, where they were taking his mother. So he agreed, as good boys do, and ran. He flew away, far, far away. And he regretted not using that bow every day since.

“Will you still be there in the morning?” Suzume’s pleasant, vulnerable voice pulled him gently back to the now. “You aren’t going to run.” Or worse, she shivered.

“No, I think I’m still going to be here. Yeah, yes I am. And I have a feeling I’m somehow, coincidentally of course, going to be going wherever you are.”

“Good.” She replied, the last thing he heard before drifting off.

Suzume woke to a rabbit basking above a fire. She stared at the flares lapping up the rodent’s juicy flesh, held her breath in awe of the smell then finally moved to get up. The events of the night before felt unreal, the only thing tangibly likening them to the present and to reality was the rabbit being cooked and the bloodied knife that lay next to the fire.

A rustle in the bushes startled her until Jirou emerged, pulling up his breeches. She blushed in embarrassment and looked the other way.

“I was wondering whether you’d wake up in time to steal my rabbit from me.” He joked, ignoring whatever had just happened. He took the poor rabbit off the fire and laid it on a leather mat. “Hungry?” She nodded and he cut some meat from its belly. “I’d wait unless you like burnt tongue.” He cautioned as she went to grasp it eagerly and she withdrew her hand sullenly in reply. “I’m taking you don’t want me to ask the inevitable question?

“Hmmm?” Was all Suzume managed through a mouthful of meat.

“You know something along the lines of what’s a noblewoman doing in a forest with a scary warrior hunting her blah blah blah.” Suzume looked at him with faux-quizzicality. “Don’t play stupid with me.” He warned in a playfully serious tone.

“I’m not a noblewoman.” She objected between bites.

“Rather pale skin, air of delicacy: yeah, you are.”

“I'm not delicate!”

“Delicate about being delicate. Definitely.”

“I’m not a noblewoman. My husband is not a lord.” She refuted again, pleased to be pedantic if needed.

“No he’s some officer and you live comfortable lives in nice houses in Bungo and don’t worry about food or if you’ll be stabbed in a dark alleyway by someone else who is worried about food.” His disdain was palpable.

“You don’t know any of it.” Suzume screamed.

“Maybe I don’t.” Jirou conceded and the storms in both of their eyes dulled to calm skies. “If you won’t tell me where you’re running from at least tell me where you’re running to.”

“Kitsuki.” Suzume blurted out, abandoning suspicion in her eagerness to tell somebody.

“Me too!”

“Really?”

“As of now, yes.” Suzume smiled.

“Why?”

“Because you won’t make it.” He predicted gloomily while munching on a part of the rabbit who coincidentally hadn't made it to his destination either. “And why not. I’ve always heard it’s a fine city.”

“Yes….”

“And it’s where what’s his name’s mysterious and apparently beautiful gajin wife rules.”

“What?”

“And after all this forest it would be nice to lay my eyes on something beautiful.” His glance toward her lasted no more than a minuscule faction of a second and went unnoticed. “Yes, why not.”

“We should leave soon.” Suzume urged yet it waited on Jirou’s approval.

“Of course,” he smiled, “after you.”

Last edited by Merchant of Venice; September 29, 2016 at 08:11 PM.

Little birthday post for you guys. This one's been sitting on the editing pile for a bit too long, got caught up in stuff unfortunately and next chapter should be out quite soon indeed.