Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Spawning Additional Units Submod (SAUS) v1.4.2 (25-Sep) [3.2 compatible]

Default Re: Spawning Additional Units Submod (SAUS) v1.3 - [RELEASED: now for TATW 3.1 and a new feature: "Glittering Caves", Dwarves for Rohan]

Looks good, I'll have to give this one a try!

Laetus

Default Re: Spawning Additional Units Submod (SAUS) v1.3 - [RELEASED: now for TATW 3.1 and a new feature: "Glittering Caves", Dwarves for Rohan]

Looks very interesting. Is it currently compatible with the Expanded map mod.

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

Nope

Better like this Mhaedros ?

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

I finally got around to completing the Change Log in the OP. So, um, OP updated!

Quote Originally Posted by warden View Post
    Is it currently compatible with the Expanded map mod.
    Depends what you mean by compatible. Dropping the downloaded files over any other submod will almost certainly break something, unless the other submod(s) don't alter any of the same files.

So no, you can't drop this over an Expanded Map mod due to a file clash.

But merging in this submod with E.M. should work just fine, or any other submod for that matter.

v1.4 released.

SAUS units now have battle map voices - thanks Ngugi!

v1.3 has a bug where after upgrading an Elven Lodge to an Arrow Forge another Lodge is auto-built when Elven Rangers are present in Amon Sul. That new Lodge can also be upgraded, giving you two Forges. Then another Lodge is built ... and so on. This has been fixed.

Also, SAUS is now part of Withwnar's Submod Collection.

Default Re: Spawning Additional Units Submod (SAUS) v1.4.1 [3.2 compatible]

v1.4.1 released: now 3.2 compatible.

The more I play MOS the more I enjoy having this mod included. It really makes up quite a bit for the lack of mercenaries in the game. I was wondering if you planned on perhaps doing something similar for the other factions? Perhaps some Rhovanion cavalry for the Elves of Lorien and Mirkwood or even Riders of Dale. And since the High Elves are supporting Eriador why not return the favor with some Dunedain Rangers. Gondor perhaps could receive some Riders of Rohan. And since the Orcish factions lack cavalry perhaps a trade with Rhun and Harad or something similar. Perhaps give Rhun and Harad some Uruk or Goblin Merc heavy infantry. Anyway just some thoughts. This is a very good addition to MOS.
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; July 10, 2012 at 01:53 AM. Reason: typo

I should have finished reading all 7 pages before posting lol. I don't think I would put Gondor at the bottom of your list. True they do get plenty of attention, but it takes a very long time for Gondor to be able to recruit Gondor Cavalry unless that is what you focused on. One solution to the unique building for each faction would be to make an upper tier Rohan Cav unit recruitable in the tier one stables available in Minas Tirith and/or in that beautiful fortress of Cair Andros with a unit limit of 2 or 3. The same could be done with the Dunedain Rangers in Imladris and Mithlond and so on.

Thanks for the comments M.G. Some nice ideas in there. If I ever do come back to this then I'll be sure to consult your posts.

A fair amount of work goes into each one, script wise especially, and I would rather be spending my time exploring new things (other submods) than expanding on old things.

For any Vista/Win7 users who could not get this to run due to the SoundExtractor BAT failing, a new version of SoundExtractor has been released.

kraxmause's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Spawning Additional Units Submod (SAUS)

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post

At some point during the campaign you will be given the option to build an Elven Arrow Forge, providing armour piercing (AP) arrows to the Elven Rangers. Once this is done you will be offered to upgrade any existing Elven Ranger units to AP: if you agree then they will be automatically disbanded and replaced with AP ones after some 'training'. (NOTE: they will lose their experience). Any further spawning (new/replacement units) will be AP units.

Attachment 207972 Attachment 207973

Arrow Forge details:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

• Available from turn 30
    • Amon Sûl only, an upgrade to its Elven Ranger Lodge
    • Requires: Bowyer
    • Buildable by the player, unlike the Lodge
    • Destroying the building will not affect whether AP units are spawned or not (they always will be, so long as you agreed to the AP upgrade offer). However, there is a money penalty associated with doing this, reflecting the extra cost it takes to build AP arrows elsewhere.

AP vs non-AP units:
    • AP missiles
    • Lower missile attack
    • Slightly different unit card (the arrow head)
    • The tooltip description in the custom battle selection screen mentions AP missiles
    • The unit card shows the appropriate stats and description

If using both in a custom battle then it can be tricky telling them apart as they have the same name. In the campaign this is not an issue because only one type of unit can exist at the same time.
    This is what I'm talking about, the last MOS version I played definitely had that feature and the Elven Rangers in the custom battle selection are all AP, while the ones in my campaign aren't.
    Cleave the sod with your trusty spade
    Dig out a house that's quite like a grave
    And should your neighbour not return your wave

A.R.R.R. Roberts - The Soddit

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by kraxmause View Post
    Is the Elven Arrow Forge for the Elven Rangers still in the game? I'm 130 turns in my Eriador campaign (Arnor is restored) and the option to upgrade the Rangers hasn't come up yet...
    Sorry for responding here With', but for the sake of my considerations it feelt just as well in this case.
    First we have not edited these scripts so it should work; and as I understand it one have to make sure a lodge is built in Amuon Sûl or the forge that gives AP will not be avilable at all (until that condition is fullfilled)?

EDIT: I also attach it here in case our conversation cause need for it

Btw kraxmause, do you use MIKE's expanded map?
    Last edited by Ngugi; November 11, 2012 at 08:38 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

No problem Ngugi; I'm glad that you did because I can't answer questions on MOS. Yet I don't understand the question: is it
    1) the Forge is not available
    2) there was no offer message to replace non-AP with AP
    3) the offer was received and accepted but non-AP units are not being replaced with AP ones

That script looks okay to me.

I'm playing normal MOS 1.3, no expanded map and the offer never came up. The lodge exists in Amon Sûl and North Tharbad, as I said it's turn 130 (Arnor restored) and both Ranger units have appeared. I haven't used them much though, because I managed to defeat the OoG pretty quickly and wanted to keep Dunland and Isengard as a challenge for my Arnorian troops.

Sounds like you haven't built the Forge then. It should be available for building. In Amon Sul only.

I know it should be, but it isn't and I'm 99% sure I never got the offer. I did lose Amon Sûl to OoG for a few turns, could that have something do with it? Nevermind though, it's nothing gamebreaking and if you can't find an error I'll just use the non-AP Rangers. Thanks for checking anyway!

The offer is only received after building the Forge. The offer is "now that you have a Forge do you wish to replace all non-AP with AP units?". i.e. There is no offer to build the Forge: it should be available for construction in Amon Sul like any other building, so long as a Lodge is there (it is still there, right?).

So the question is: why is the Forge not available? The script looks fine and losing Amon Sul for a time won't make any difference. The only thing I can think of is a problem in EDB (export_descr_buildings.txt). Could you post that file?

Looking at SAUS's EDB the conditions for it being available are:
    1) Amons Sul is a castle (that is: a castle type, as opposed to a city type)
    2) The saus_er_forge_avail counter is set (script should be doing this okay)
    3) Has the info_Weather-Hills building (book)
    4) Has the Lodge building
    5) Has a Bowyer

Unless MOS has changed 1) or 3) and assuming that the EDB has not otherwise been changed for the Forge building ... do you have Bowyer there?

I've built every available building in Amon Sûl and the Lodge is still there, I'll try to demolish it and move a Ranger unit there, maybe then it will come up. Does it have to be Bowyer or any building from the Bowyer line (I have a Practice Range). Anyway, here's the EDB, I didn't change anything in it.

Edit: I just saw I also have a file named export_descr_buildings.txt.bak, is this normal?
    Last edited by kraxmause; September 18, 2012 at 02:49 AM.

It looks okay although, on an unrelated note, I just realised that Elven Rangers are not retrainable in a Forge (oops, an error in SAUS and therefore also MOS).

The .bak file is just a backup copy probably made by a text editor/merger. It is harmless.

No harm in trying the Lodge rebuild but I doubt it will help.

Out of interest, does the building browser show the Forge at all?

I'm stumped. As far as I can see it should be available. That just leaves my questions on 1) and 3) in my previous post but without MOS I can't check those. It might be worth asking whether any other MOS players do get the Forge - if so then maybe it's just your game that has the problem.

Don't know if this is helpful, but I'm on turn 57ish in MOS expanded map as Eriador, and I've also been looking in vain for the AP arrow forge. I have a lodge in Amon Sul and Tharbad, have built bowyers in both, and no forge option or message. The building browser in Amon Sul does not show any option for forges (and also does not show the lodge)