Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a World - Bare Geomod

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World - Bare Geomod

Quote Originally Posted by BottleRocket View Post
    Thanks for that Gigantus! Unfortunately it seems I've run in to that pesky Mac wall again.

You can't run .bat files through a Mac, even via wine or console commands, to the best of my knowledge. I assuming this is why there is no map.rwm anywhere in the mod directory, I assume because I heaven't been able to launch the mod via the .bat file yet so hasn't had a chance to compile one?

Regardless, seems like my best bet would be to steal my girlfriends pc and try again later, very doubtful I'll have the knowledge (or if it's even possible) to trick my Mac in to figuring it out. Seems like my Mac speaks French but is attempting to translate German aha.

Much appreciated dude!
    How do you start the mod? The BAT file simply has the instructions to use the executable together with entries from the mod's CFG file. Here is another method to start the mod if this is the Steam version:
    Right click the game in the steam library, select 'properties'
    In the small window click on 'set launch options'
    Copy this code into it: @mods\bare_geomod\configuration.cfg
    This will now start the mod when you start the default campaign (start button in library)

Quote Originally Posted by Griggs305 View Post
    Okay, tested... Not working. Radar map still hides the Americas
    Compress the mod folder and upload for me to have a look.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I can already get the mod to boot through a number of launch options including through the games properties and the launch options dialog screen, the changes made in Geomod just clearly aren't correctly modifying the relevant files in the mod directory. God knows?

I've double checked for hidden files in the bare_geomod directory too, the map.rwm file just doesn't seem t exist bizarrely for the Mac install, maybe the fmap is compiled differently for Feral's Mac/linux version, but that sounds pretty unlikely.

Cheers for taking the time though man, means a lot.

Blog Entries

The only time the map will not generate is when a mistake has been made editing the map files. But if you have worked only in the Bare Geomod directory and only with the tool then you should be fine. It can still happen, like placing a port correctly where the region display is concerned but inside land mass where the heights is concerned. Similar with settlements placed in impassable terrain.

I could have a look, simply compress the mod folder and upload it somewhere.

I am mildly puzzled that you can start the mod but the changes are not visible - I am wondering if it loads the map from the default game, but then the text files that got edited when creating the new settlements (you created new regions for them, right?) should crash the game.
    You do know that you have to 'validate' your changes for each region when you edit? Like when you change a name, not for changes (eg changing forest to desert) on the map itself.

:o Sorry to double post... aha I think I've figured out my confusion, seems on Mac you get to separate folders for M2TW in your library, both with mod installations folders. One is the Feral interactive one one is the steam apps one, apparently the Feral folder location is not the one you want!

This just gets trickier and trickier aha! Got everything seemingly set-up properly now, re-made the changes to the regions for the campaign map, all looks good. Now when I launch bare_geomod I'm crashing straight after the initial splash screen. I assume this could be one of two issues; I've made a mistake when adding the rehgions in causing a CTD or, I need to run the convert_all.bat using the strings.bin converter. One problem now frustratingly... I can't run the Python script strings_bin_converter_0_7.py, tried with every version of python I've got and each one keeps telling me I have a syntax issues; nominally lines 39, ( if sys.argv[1] == 'all': ) and 46 ( print 'Converting file '+filepath+'('+str(i)+' of '+str(len(arr))+')' ), so I'm unable to export the strings.bin to bare_geomod text folder and uses it to run convert_all.bat.

Thanks, I appreciate your patience with a pleb! I've got that infuriating balance of exceptionally limited, yet none the less slight, understanding of code; but apparently not enough!

Blog Entries

running convert_all.bat isn't a requirement, it's provided as a convenience: the geomod tool writes to the bin files and has an issue with one, the historic_events file. It's some formatting issue apparently which considerably delays the start of the mod. Running the bat file converts it to TXT which then in turn will generate a new, properly formatted BIN file.
    You can do the same by simply deleting the BIN file, unless you have worked in the events file (which is very unlikely nowadays). An alternative is to use the BinEditor (open BIN file, export as TXT) which comes with the Geomod Tool.

The crash immediately at splash is a bit tricky, it's usually not map related. As I said: upload the mod folder and I'll have a look at it, I believe you can't generate a log in Mac - which would help tremendously.

Okay, thanks. Had a go trying to delete the historic_events file. No dice!

I can't upload the .zip for the whole folder on here, as it's larger than the max upload for an attachment. Is a retransfer link ok? https://we.tl/t-klVjXo47OS

Blog Entries

Weird. It did crash at map loading as you said but....all I had to do is use a fresh installation of Bare Geomod (don't start it) and then copy your world folder and the two text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names files over into it and it worked. Seeing that that worked I did not dig to figure out what exactly went wrong.

Last edited by Gigantus; July 07, 2019 at 07:03 AM.

Followed your steps exactly, got to be something to do with the Mac getting confused somewhere, or changes to the files not happening properly, because I'm getting the same issues as before, CTD at initial splash screen.

Hilariously, I got it to work. Changed a bunch of details in the text files etc. Loaded up and played perfectly!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2019-07-07 at 21.40.12.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	430.4 KB 
ID:	358852

Of course, only that one flipity time!!! Despite it working perfectly just once, the 10 times I've tried to boot before and 10 times afterwards have all CTD at the same point, the initial load screen...

Alas, just want to say thanks Gigantus for all your help, can't believe I got to work even once aha. I guess at least this means I've got a working mod, just that my Mac can't stop sulking about it when I try to make it run.

Blog Entries

We have got a Linux section, might be there is something useful in there.

I am wondering if it has to do with generating the map.rwm file more then once, Bare Geomod comes without that file to force generating one the first time you start the mod. The tool then deletes the file every time you save with it as otherwise changes made will not show.
    Could it be the file is somewhere else as well in Mac?

And which text files did you edit when it worked?

Blog Entries

UPDATE

2.1.04 - kingdoms only
    - corrected trigger naming errors in EDA
    - corrected trigger naming errors in EDCT
    - provided formatted and cleaned modelDB file
    - provided files for use with Bovine checker

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bh...L7_aYu5OSkOq1d

I have to put it there since my folder exceeds 10MB.

Blog Entries

For some reason the last two lines in your descr_strat file are missing - and those call the script. Seeing that you used Geomod to edit that file I am thinking you may have accidentally (not sure how) removed the entry.

Enter the name of the script (campaign_script.txt) and test it by clicking the button to the right of the entry. Then validate and save.

Thannk you very much man, it's all good now, did a run through!

Blog Entries

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

hi gig

here are 2 bugs that I found in you game

playing as the papal states when you build the huge stone wall you can no longer recruit papal guard which seems a bit odd so if this is within the scope of you project could you fix that?
    I know you are not supposed to play as them but this affects the AI as well hence the report

MTW2 diplomacy bug
    as you perhaps know there is a bug in the game when you are at war with a faction and you destroy them, any faction allied with them will refuse to ally with you due the fact that they still consider you at war with the dead faction

now to fix that you would need a script with lines for every faction something like this:

Code:
        if_Numberofsettlements_owned_by saxons_ is_0
    console_command diplomatic_stance saxons_engeland neutral 
    console_command diplomatic_stance saxons_moors neutral
    and so on for each faction

I understand if this is outside of the scope of your project though
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Blog Entries

The papal guard issue deserves a fix, I'll have to see how best to do the script part as it obviously will not work for horde factions plus the 'faction destroyed' (LeaderDestroyedFaction) event does not work.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

thank you gig

IIRC this will work for horde factions http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...cluding-hordes

specifically this part
    Code:
    if I_FactionLeaderAttribute mongols Command < 999
    credits to withwnar for finding this
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Blog Entries

Thanks, I'll have a look at that in detail.