Thread: "Flash allies & enemies" button NOT working after uninstalling Stainless Steel

Default "Flash allies & enemies" button NOT working after uninstalling Stainless Steel

Hey all,

I've already posted in the Tech forums regarding this issue, so I'll reiterate it here also:

I did have SS 6.1 installed and I could never get the "Flash Units" button to work.

I completely uninstalled every trace of Stainless Steel and other mods from the uninstall programs option on my comp.

I used CCleaner to remove screwed up registry entries and my version of MTW2 vanilla is STILL acting like Stainless Steel.

Can ANYBODY help me with this issue?

Thanks and +Rep to anyone who can give me REAL help like "Remove blah, blah registry and blah, blah file from Prefetch" or whatever
    hellas1

Default Re: "Flash allies & enemies" button NOT working after uninstalling Stainless Steel

Well, do you have regular green arrows when selecting a unit?

I know that might get turned off in the config file when installing SS, and obviously you can't flash the arrows when they've been disabled in general.

Default Re: "Flash allies & enemies" button NOT working after uninstalling Stainless Steel

Hi Kolaris8472,

I do not have the regular green arrows when selecting a unit. How do I enable them?
    Perhaps by unpacking MTW2 and opening the mtw2.cfg file?

Also, My .cfg file is 1kb large!

What are you talking about regarding the "Flash" circular button?
    Unpacking and going in there and enabling the "Flash Allies" button?

I don't get you.
    hellas1

I would try to completely uninstall and reinstall MTW2 and Kingdoms and see if that fixes anything.

I don't even know what "Flash allies & enemies"is?
    If the Army and the Navy
    Ever gaze on Heaven's scenes
    They will find the streets are guarded
    By UNITED STATES MARINES.

He who has shed blood with me shall forever be my Brother...
    Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force.

I think he is talking about when you click on the shield icon during a battle and then both your units and the enemy units are highlighted for a few seconds. It works ok with me.
    member of S.I.N.

Hi all,

@ginger_hammer,

"I think he is talking about when you click on the shield icon during a battle and then both your units and the enemy units are highlighted for a few seconds."

That's right. I also completely uninstalled MTW2 & kingdoms and vanilla MTW2 doesn't even have that button working right.

What IS going on here?

I used CCleaner but the issue is still happening.
    Any suggestions?

hellas1

Quote Originally Posted by hellas1 View Post
    Hi Kolaris8472,

I do not have the regular green arrows when selecting a unit. How do I enable them?
    Perhaps by unpacking MTW2 and opening the mtw2.cfg file?

Also, My .cfg file is 1kb large!

What are you talking about regarding the "Flash" circular button?
    Unpacking and going in there and enabling the "Flash Allies" button?

I don't get you.
    hellas1
    Usually when you click on a unit, all the men in said unit will be highlighted by the 'Green Arrows', the same ones your entire army is 'Flashed' with when you click the 'Flash Allies & Enemies' Icon.

The toggle for disabling/enabling the Arrow Icons across the board is found in your regular M2TW directory, in that config file. If you're just trying to get it fixed for M2TW and not for SS, then you can go into that .cfg file and look for something related to the arrows under the 'Display' heading and change the 0 value to a 1. Unfortunately, I don't have my computer I use for M2TW available so I can't tell you exactly what the line says.

If you're wanting to enable the Arrows in SS, its not that much harder. The .cfg in your SS folder is bare-bones stuff, but you can add on whatever you want. Simply copy and paste the line of code you want from your M2TW .cfg into your SS one. Be sure you also copy and paste the heading that the line was under, so iirc, for the Arrow Toggle it should be under [Display] or something like that.

EDIT: Ok, so -

To fix it for general M2TW, find the line that says "disable_arrow_markers=0" and change it to 1.

For SS, find the [game] heading in the SS .cfg file or add it (at the bottom) and then add the line "disable_arrow_markers=0" under that heading. Also, make sure at the top of the SS .cfg it has a line that says something like "file_first=1"
    Last edited by Kolaris8472; December 11, 2008 at 02:12 PM.

Hi Kolaris,

I no longer have S.S. on my system OR vanilla MTW2 either.

I did find some kingdoms .exe's and deleted them from the registry.

I'm defragging my system even as we speak.

My config file is 1kb only and I see no line entry for the disable_arrow_markers
    Do I need to unpack MTW2 to see this or not?

hellas1

I'm confused - you don't have M2TW installed?

If you've unistalled and re-installed already, the .cfg file should have regenerated to a larger, default size. So its probably not the problem after all.

Of course, if M2TW isn't actually installed...well, then I'm not sure how you would even have a problem

Hi Kolaris,

I DO have MTW2 installed now and everything is o.k.!

Thanks for your help.

By the way, the mtw.cfg file HAS generated a long list of info as well.

I miiight try Stainless Steel again but I have my reservations.

Thank you and
    +Rep to you!
    hellas1 Opa, paidi mou!

Hi. Had the same problem with that FLASH. You have to open medieval2.preference.cfg file, then you have to find disable_arrow_markers = 1 line and change it to "0" value. It worked fine with me. Now FLASH works just like before.

KittySN's Avatar Senator

Is there any way to "flash" while using the limited hud? Random question. Seems like an apt thread. Maybe I'm blind.

Ty. really usefull answer. year 2023

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Disabling the friend\foe\allies flash in battle (the faction symbol at the bottom right of the UI) is usually caused by disabling the green arrow markers under the unit. This is done by a mod's CFg file entry. Unfortunately a mod's CFG change is written to the main game's CFG file and hence will remain in place long after the mod has been uninstalled.

Editing the main game's CFG file requires it to be set to 'read-only' afterward as the manual entry will get reversed by the game. Read-only will prevent any changes made via options to be saved, totally not cool.

Simple solution: install and run my small Bare Geomod mod setup once: it has a CFG file entry to reset that value. The value\entry in question:

disable_arrow_markers = 0
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 24, 2023 at 09:20 PM.