View Poll Results: What name for the newly formed Anti-Religion group do you prefer?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • S.A.A.D. (Skeptics Atheists Agnostics Deists)

9 47.37%
  • D.A.S.A.C. (Deists Atheists Skeptics Agnostics Clique/Club)

2 10.53%
  • A.S.A.D.A. (Atheists Skeptics Agnostics Deists Alliance/Association)

7 36.84%
  • S.A.D.A.G. (Skeptics Atheists Deists Agnostics Group)

1 5.26%
Page 1 of 76 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: The Anti-Religion thread

Default The Anti-Religion thread

We are S.I.N., proposed by RZZZA and dubbed by WBK, a congregation of skeptics, atheists, agnostics, deists, buddhists, free-thinkers and various other misfits

Any people who wish to join S.I.N. should PM me and ask

All members of F.A.I.T.H. are to be treated with the utmost respect at all times

This thread and idea was born out of my dislike and distrust of faith and "faith based initiatives". I propose the creation of a loose alliance of board members who share my anti-religion ideals. The requirements to join said group will require that you are either an atheist or an agnostic (or an unconcerned diest), a pragmatist, a rational thinker and an open minded person. This group, in my view, should not represent intolerance or close mindedness. Those who join this group are not encouraged to harass, put down or otherwise test the patience of the local moderators or the ToS rules. All I want is for this group to represent the people who do not align themselves with any religion for any reason.

I want this group to exist and, in a way, act as a counterbalance to faith-influenced ideas on this forum that we may percieve as being "backwards" or "wrong" or otherwise detrimental to society. This means that we would have something in our sigs that would easily identify us as being part of this group, so other people don't have to guess who is a member and who is not. The main things we would stand in opposition of would be radical religious ideas and groups, such as the KKK, the Waco Davidians, and the various muslim fundamentalist organizations as well. We would mostly oppose and be suspicious of any faith-influenced actions within the different governments (The U.S., Canada, the U.K., etc..the 1st world countries) For example, if this was 2003 then we would be opposed to the issue of gay marriage being brought up, because that is an issue born out of radical religious ideals. Thats just a weak example btw.

There may be other things that displease some people that I didn't mention above, in which case, thats fine, you can still join and believe what you want to believe, I just outlined some of the very broad ideals that I want everyone in this yet-to-be-created group to agree with.

List of Members
    Bull Warrior (agnostic)
    Marcus Tullius Cicero (deistic-agnostic)
    Lusted (atheistic)
    DarkProphet (deistic-skeptic)
    Honeohvovohaestse
    Mathias (atheistic)
    Rhah (atheistic)
    Gaius Drakan (atheistic)
    Kanaric (atheistic)
    humvee2800
    Ulf (atheistic)
    Drexxus Maximus (agnostic)
    DarkKnight (atheistic)
    Warlord 11
    Stalins Ghost
    MaximiIian (atheistic-neopagan)
    Turnus (atheistic)
    Hader (agnostic)
    Ragabash (atheistic)
    Mitth'raw'nuruodo
    Irishman (agnostic)
    God (atheistic-agnostic)
    Shaun (atheistic)
    Remco (atheistic)
    Mylae (atheistic-agnostic)
    The spartan (deistic)
    Xu Xiang Long (atheistic)
    Siblesz (agnostic-nihilist)
    whalenapp81 (agnostic)
    Sammur-amat (atheistic)
    RusskiSoldat (atheistic)
    einherjer (atheistic)
    ErikinWest (atheistic)
    High_Imperator (atheistic)
    tomdidiot (atheistic)
    Ozymandias (atheistic)
    Valentin the II (atheistic)
    Rome AC (skeptic)
    El Guapo (buddhistic)
    m_castaldo (agnostic)
    Heilige Legioen (atheistic)
    Spartan (atheistic)
    bthizle1 (buddhistic)
    Corinthian Hoplite(atheistic)
    Pnutmaster (deistic)
    SHAPVR (atheistic)
    johnny76 (atheistic)
    Atheist (atheistic)
    Eksadiss (agnostic)
    Greve Armfelt (agnostic)
    Raven Darkwing (agnostic)
    Captain Blackadder (atheistic)
    The Fuzz (agnostic)
    General Danilius (agnostic)
    Nutsack (agnostic)
    Spartacus the Finn (agnostic)
    Crab Apple Tea (atheistic)
    TW Dude (atheistic)
    mocker (skeptical-atheistic)
    Skyler (atheistic)
    Eqcards (atheistic)
    Gen_Angmar (atheistic)
    Sheep (atheistic)
    Gavmundo (atheistic-agnostic)
    Commander_Vimes (atheistic)
    Nibs (atheistic)
    Roman_Man#3 (agnostic)
    Gaius julius octavinus (atheistic)
    P014K (atheistic)
    madscientist22 (atheistic)
    sounds like killing (agnostic)
    republic_bohemia (theravada buddhist)
    RomanKnight990 (agnostic)
    Tankbuster (atheistic)
    Boeing (freethinker-atheistic)
    Bertinator (atheistic)
    Aetius (atheistic-agnostic)
    Phillieas_Caesar (agnostic)
    Bornstein (atheistic)
    Scar Face (deistic-agnostic)
    Oswald von Wolkenstein (humanist)
    Gambit (freethinker-atheistic)
    DeaDBolT (freethinker-buddhist)
    Last edited by RZZZA; May 11, 2009 at 09:52 PM.

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I will not join if any communists are in it, they are idiots and ignorant!!!! They are even worse then any religioN!
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

I'm in. I am a pure atheist who avoids religious faith in any of my conclusions, and I despise those who want to go back to the past and tie State and Religion together. Sincerely speaking, Religion is more of a political instrument to control people than something really serious.

I will not join if any communists are in it, they are idiots and ignorant!!!! They are even worse then any religioN!
    Yeah but this is not an anti-communist thread. And Marx didn't want to create a despotism when he idealised communism; communism is just something utopic. Every "communist" regime that ruled in Russia and in other parts of the world can be considered more of a "Red Dictatorship" or "stalinism" than communism at all.

Well, I dont like communism either but the whole point of this is not to censor, harass or alienate people, but rather bring people from all political groups, all races, all countries together under one banner of "Anti-faith" or "anti-religion" or whatever you want to call it. There will be people within the group whom you might disagree with on a number of issues, but they shouldnt be excluded if they want in imo. Anyway this doesnt look like it'll garner much support anyway, we'll see what happens.

Btw I also wanted to mention that there will be NO leader of this group, I dont want to be the leader and I dont aspire to lead, I want everyone to be equal within this clique.

edit- I guess we need at least 5 people before we can call ourselves a group and start considering a name.

Indefinitely Banned

I'm most certainly in.

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well communists are dumb you gotta admit to that... And i do belive that religion is just for dumb people and dont understand the true meaning of it, ill join later, when ive seened what have becomed of it!
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

Ok well it looks like we've got 2 people who have committed and Habelo who is on the fence. I'll come back here later and see if anyone else has pledged their support to this cause, and if it adds up to a minimum of 5 people I think we can officially form the group. In the meanwhile, we should start thinking of a decently catchy name that we can post in our sigs that'll easily identify us.

Reidy's Avatar Let ε<0...

Count me in, if there is an *in* (?).

To me the whole concept of religion is ridiculous, especially the one-almighty-god rubbish.

Under the rather spiffing patronage of Justinian.
    Grandson of some fellow named the Black Prince.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Habelo
    Well communists are dumb you gotta admit to that... And i do belive that religion is just for dumb people and dont understand the true meaning of it, ill join later, when ive seened what have becomed of it!
    Please stop talking about communists/communism, it's totally irrelevant to this thread.

Zacheria's Avatar Civis

Are we talking about organized faith here, or any faith in general.

Bayzent's Avatar Libertus

I'll join. The religion have caused a lot of troubles in the history of human being.
    He was experiencing the aural equivalent of looking at a picture of two black silhouetted faces and suddenly seeing it as a picture of a white candlestick. Or of looking at a lot of colored dots on a piece of paper which suddenly resolve themselves into the figure six and mean that your optician is going to charge you a lot of money for a new pair of glasses.

--THGTG

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

Sign me up RZZZA
    Last edited by Libertine; February 08, 2006 at 03:09 PM.
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

Quote Originally Posted by Zacheria
    Are we talking about organized faith here, or any faith in general.
    "...Atheism means that you lack theism, or a believe in an active god"-A.P. Agnosticism (which is what I am) means that you lack conclusive evidence supporting or disproving the idea of God, so remain nuetral or 'inbetween' until something happens that either swings you one way or another (I.E. further way from God and 'faith' or closer towards 'God and 'faith). Deism means that you believe that there may be a God, but he is not like the God that the major religions portray and believe in, if you are a Deist then that means you believe there probably is an ultimate being in some form or another, but you dont believe that he really pays attention to Earth, but rather that 'He' is the one that set into motion the thing we call existence, the universe, how things work at their tinyest level, etc. Some people may argue about my definitions of Atheist and Agnostic but thats my explanation and take on it, disagree with me at your leisure.

So to answer your question, I believe that in order to consider yourself a member of this group, you have to agree with the basic things I mentioned in my original post, you have to have a tendency to shy away from religion intruding on government, you have to have a tendency to basically doubt, question and disbelieve most of the things youve heard about religion in your life. There are varying degrees of course, not every member is going to agree with what I just said, but as long as you consider yourself an Atheist, an Agnostic or a Deist (or maybe just an unaffiliated skeptic) then theres a place for you here in the group.

Okay well thats five people, six counting myself and not counting Habelo who is on the fence. Next thing is to think of a good name, feel free to propose any you think would suit us. Something short and sweet, catchy yet informative. People might not have much room in their sigs so I thought acronymns might be good...something like A.R.A. the Anti Religion Alliance or something like that...kinda corny but you get the idea.
    Last edited by RZZZA; February 08, 2006 at 03:47 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RZZZA
    Well, Atheism means that you don't know and don't care if there is or isn't a God.
    No, atheism means that you lack theism, or a believe in an active god.

Well, thats basically what I said AP. Atheism means you don't know OR don't care, maybe I should have put in the or...

edit-Well thats fine too, I realize people will have varying definitions of the words, but as long as you consider yourself an atheist, an agnostic or a diest, I think thats close enough. We all have a certain way of thinking about and looking at religion, which is the whole point, the definitions of the words are just mere semantics that really dont matter.

Indefinitely Banned

Well, thats basically what I said AP. Atheism means you don't know OR don't care, maybe I should have put in the or...

edit-Well thats fine too, I realize people will have varying definitions of the words, but as long as you consider yourself an atheist, an agnostic or a diest, I think thats close enough. We all have a certain way of thinking about and looking at religion, which is the whole point, the definitions of the words are just mere semantics that really dont matter.
    But the definition you gave in the first line of the very post I'm now quoting, is completely wrong. Atheism does not mean you don't know. It means your opinion is that there aren't any gods in existence.

a·the·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (th-zm)
    n.

Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.
    The doctrine that there is no God or gods.
    Godlessness; immorality.

So you're right, I got the definition wrong, for some reason I thought Atheism wasnt as rigid as that. I'll edit my post.

Also, in the interest of efficiency, people who read this should make it clear as soon as possible wether you like the proposed name of A.R.A. (anti religion alliance) OR if not, to propose your own idea for a name. I want us to settle on a name quickly because if we don't, all our ideas, opinions and random OT discussion will derail us and this group'll never form. People who see this thread after the formation of the group are still eligible to join, there is no limit to how many people we let in, but people should not consider themselves a member of the group without first making it clear that theyre joining by saying so in this thread.

What about "Atheist TWC" or "Online Atheist Organization"?

Indefinitely Banned

a·the·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (th-zm)
    n.

Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.
    The doctrine that there is no God or gods.
    Godlessness; immorality.
    The dictionary is so ****ing stupid ... it actually equates atheism with immorality. They mean amorality, but they're such complete fools, they can't even get the word right. Plus, atheism does not equal amorality anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Tullius Cicero
    What about "Atheist TWC" or "Online Atheist Organization"?

WEll I think the problem with those is that we're not all Atheists, and also Atheist TWC sounds more like we're part of a TW mod than a forum group. I think something broad that defines all of us would be more fitting, but the Anti Religion Alliance and Online Atheist Organization names may already be taken by other people on the net.

Page 1 of 76 12345678910112651 ... LastLast