Thread: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Completed

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter VII - VI

I like the part about orc breeding stuff
    gives an deeper insight of their society
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

I have read everything except for the last chapter and its great.The way you invoke the feeling of surprise is fascinating.Aha when will the grand serpent take revenge or is he already dead?Perhaps by some conspiracy in the capital city.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Good update, I'm continuing to enjoy Cirion's perspective on the behaviour of Malthur's orcs.

I know I'm pretty late, just started/finished a few days ago. Great AAR, thanks Maltacus for creating it, and thanks Alwyn for your review that directed me to this.

Citizen

is there more to come?
    I really liked this it would be a shame if it stopped

D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Artifex

Much more to come, but I am working on two other stories at the same time and restoring pictures of a third, so I haven't had much time left for Malthur and Cirion lately. I have mostly been busy with this: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...olical-Amazons Another issue is that my computer crashed (graphics card burned out) which means I can't play Medieval II until I get a new one, and when you can't play it's also less appealing to write about the game. I agree though that it has been too long since the last update and plan to get a couple of episodes out in december. The pictures I have benn restoring for the Diablo II AAR are mostly done now.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Artifex

Chapter VII - VII

Malthurs camp north of Gobel Ancalimon, the late summer of 2986

Again, much has transpired in a short amount of time and I have learned a great deal of things that may or may not prove of crucial importance some day in the future.

Malthur had the Haradrim reeling after Gobel Ancalimons fall. Yet he marched back, towards Imlad Carnen, the way he had come. I do not know why but of course suspect that something, be it news, summons or suspicions, must have called him back. West of Imlad Carnen were reinforcements waiting, encamped and panting after a sweaty trek through northern Harad absent Malthurs level of adaptations. I am the first to admit that the dynamics of orc politics are beyond my areas of expertise but I am led to understand that Malthur and the commander of the reinforcing force, one Gorbag, share some sort of agenda or at least understanding, as much as such notoriously unreliable creatures as orcs can.

Malthur is no exception to other military commanders in that he must to some extent rely on subordinate officers to carry out his will. Each company or similarly sized logistical unit, up to just over two hundreds, has a captain with the authority to direct the unit as deemed necessary and is capable of independent actions. A halberdier company is required to hold its portion of the line or advance and strike its designated target, but it is up to the captain to order the unit to fall back or step forth or to broaden or narrow the formation. The wrong commands can easily lead to disaster even if the company never changes its place on the field. Repelling a charge, for example, with the weapons raised for marching and standing before a line of artillery is a serious mistake if one could choose to form up behind to use them as cover with a wall of spear tips pointed forward.

These captains seek to rise to the position of chieftain. That means that they must balance their need to carry out their orders impeccably and their need to see Malthur fall so that they can take his place. The chieftain must in turn balance between providing the captains with the information, recognition, resources and independence that they require to be an effective force, and to keep them from becoming so secure, influential and successful that they would seriously consider stabbing him in the back. The current predicament has benefitted Malthur in this respect since being surrounded by hostile forces makes it a bad time for mutiny and only the chieftain would appear to master the foreign conditions in the eyes of the common orcs. Especially among the uruks, the orc elite, Malthur has built a solid base of respect which no subcommander will manage to erode without a severe misfortune striking the expedition. Evidently not even the resistance of Gobel Ancalimon was not enough for that.

Of his subordinate commanders Malthur rely the most on Muzul, the pale-skinned captain of one archer company which also serve as the chieftains enforcers of what passes for law and order among the orcs. I resist the word trust, as I sincerely doubt the chieftain would harbor that sort of feeling for anyone. Malthur, Muzul and Gorbag did meet in a smaller council, or at least sharing of drink and tales, where I was summoned to give account of Gondors view and knowledge of the lands further south, along the coast beyond Gobel Ancalimon, as well as the corsairs that nest there. The situation was as with other such occasions surreal. Being present there, I had ample opportunity to study the chieftain’s act. I do not understand exactly what Malthurs game is but some things stand out as particularly noteworthy. He is presenting and depicting me as a greater source of information about Harad than what is true, though I do not know why. I do however know that Malthur has someone or something else that has guided him south so far. If I had to speculate I would say that he took something from us, and that he did that after the defeat of Duinhir. Otherwise it would have been a sensible choice to march south to lure the rangers out from the forests and its hiding places, but that alternative was never mentioned.

Furthermore, apart from the theatre of misleading, Malthur evidently considers my presence safer than a subordinate orc, which is logical in one way since I will not likely be tied to a rivalling orc faction but at the same time absurd given the orcs view of other races. Thanks to that I was not ordered away but remained to hear the orc leaders’ conversation about the object of the expedition. I findit of such particular interest and importance that I will attempt to narrate it word by word here, as I pride myself with always having had a fairly good memory. I will retell it as close to the real thing as I can so as to make the account as accurate as possible.

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 05:20 AM.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter VII - VII

Ooh. That's an interesting situation. But what I'm most interested in is the conversation Cirion's just promised us...

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Great to see an update from you Maltacus! I very much enjoyed this outsider's perspective on the machinations of orc warband politics. Looking forward to more!

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

I have quite a bit of catching up to do, but the first pages are great! I do not know how much longer you plan to take this AAR, but reading it from the beginning is why we save this great stuff. +rep though a bit meaningless in the scheme of things for what you have done.

Artifex

No! No comment is meaningless, no matter how short. It is infinitely better than no comment at all.

I have perhaps half of next part finished and hope to have it ready for christmas.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    Ooh. That's an interesting situation. But what I'm most interested in is the conversation Cirion's just promised us...
    I agree I am interested in this too

well done again maltacus

Artifex

Chapter VII - VIII

Malthurs camp north of Gobel Ancalimon, the late summer of 2986

Account of the conversation between the orc chieftains Malthur and Gorbag, with orc captain Muzul being also present

The forces of Mordor are divided. Malthur is ill liked by several superior commanders but his remarkable successes and the amount of resources invested in his elite army has made them almost forced to continue supporting his campaign in some way. Their tool appears to be the orc chieftain Gorbag in particular but he is clearly less loyal to that cause than they must have expected. In typical Orcish fashion, it is not so much wanting to see Malthur succeed as to see the mutually hated overlords fail, if he can get away with it.

“I tell ya, chieftain, you’ve gotten us all, us all uruks, into a bloody great fix, you have. Them higher people back home are looking at everyone sideways these days, like we’re all in some rebellion pact with each other.”

“So what else is new? But why send you out if they think us all crooked?”

“I get out of their way, and they can keep everybody in the dark about you while still not having anything to do with you flaming rebel curs should anything turn out to go wrong. But some things are still leaking out, as they always do.”

“And they have you to inform them of my moves and thoughts too, eh?”

“Course. What did you expect?”

Malthur regarded Gorbag silently for a while while he returned the stare. It seemed like Gorbag at last felt obliged to say something more to explain himself.

“You’ve got yourself to blame since you were the one who made off with my flaming army! What do you think my choices were then, you piece of filth!?”

Malthur then sat strangely silent. Then, of all inconceivable things, his mouth seemed to be twitching. The murderous fiend was sitting and laughing quietly at it all. Muzul and Gorbag looked incredulously at him, Gorbag more openly so. Then the latter threw his wineskin at Malthur in irritation but Malthur just seemed even more amused and caught it in the air with apparent ease. He picked up another one, fuller, and tossed it back to Gorbag who had begun laughing on his own at the stupidity of it all, at least I think it would be of that.

“Poor captain Gorbag, having to deal with such rebel scum as myself!”

“Heh, on the other hand, everyone hates you more than the rest of us, so at least you’re good for something, you flaming thief. What’re you up to now, anyway? Gonna keep chipping away pieces of these snakes’ lands ‘til your hairs grey?”

“The master spy probing, eh?”

“Shut it.” Gorbag answered and took a deep swig.

“Well, I’ve gotten a taste for the place. I think I’ll keep chasing those desert rats before me ‘til they turn to sea rats, which I have been told swim in gold and float in pearls. Sounds like it’s worth a visit.”

“As expected, I guess.”

“So? What about yourself and your sorry wheezing lot? Why are you here, apart from wishing to join my illustrious companies and wish us safe travels?”

“The usual. We’re supposed to follow and mop up the sand snake remains after you’ve softened them up. Then put the finer loyal sand snakes back in place and go home. Flaming stupid expedition.”

“What the hell are you talking about!? Explain yourself, you flaming fool!”

“So you haven’t caught on to that yet? Looks like Foulfang is running a tighter shift than I thought. He’s here, you know, in charge or claiming to be in charge in any case.”

“Wait, you mean this mouth black tark? Foulfang…suits him.”

“That’s him, right. I am the mouth of the dark lord and whatever… He has kept us back to let you do your thing alone and meanwhile he has struck some kind of deal with the big snake, Khuzaymah I think he’s called.”

“Yeah, that’s him.”

“So, as far as I get it there are three kinds of the sand snakes. The big snake leads his most loyal tribes from the inner deserts, the poor and hardiest warriors. The ones you have struck are the fat ones, the traders and city snakes. And the third part are the sea snakes down south. So the big one, he’s bought himself some more time on the throne. He would be going straight to the cook pots for not keeping those corsairs in line and forcing us to march here to remind them of their place. But he’s made some kind of deal with Foulfang and gets to keep his throne in exchange for holding back his loyal warriors while we discipline the rest of the sand snakes, which he had failed to do himself. Bet he gets rid of a great deal of his own enemies at the same time.”

“Flaming little snake maggot ! This wasn’t the plan! We can take them, I tell you! We can take it all, and have the stinking sea snakes serving properly instead of being some kind of lazy flaming leeches like now.”

“Yuh, maybe. But that takes time and it’s you doing it so you would get the credit. Now Foulfang gets the credit because the changed plan is his plan.”

“And I bet he’s yapping all he can about my boys being able to smash through the snakes just because he had dealt his deal with the big snake?”

“Pretty much.”

“That’s the flaming other way around! They come crawling to beg only because I brought them to their knees!”

After this point the discussion became so full of insults and derogation that I will not bother recording it in detail. Malthur is in any case clearly bent on pushing through to the corsairs and take Umbar despite the machinations of this Mouth of the dark lord.Gorbags troops are reinforcing him and if the predictions prove correct there will not be much resistance to be expected before we reach the coast. Is this my fate, I wonder? To see Malthur rise to fight his own side?

Whoever it will be that feels the full force of Malthurs army, I pity him. With Gorbag arrived not only troops but a sizeable amount of siege machinery, new spare parts for catapults and wagons and last and most terrible a great force of new trolls. These are even hardier and tougher than the usual mountain trolls, and clad in horribly thick and heavy iron plates on their chest and arms and head, wielding giant iron maces rather than clubs. I confess that merely watching them makes me shudder and imagine the sickening ways they could beat you to a bloody pulp. Among the orcs, these battle trolls are known as Olog-hai.

Malthur at this point completed the final restructuring of his army, creating what would be his ultimate evolution of the uruk and troll force. It is constituted of four companies of heavy infantry and archers, all uruks, eight companies of troll catapults which make up its main striking arm and lastly the generals retinue and three companies of troll infantry as a mobile force. The signature formation is to divide the force in two equal halves, each becoming a miniature army in itself. The outermost flanks are guarded by the Olog-hai, the strongest troops of all, while the central, adjoining, flanks are held by the less armoured mountain trolls and the generals guard. Between these the heavy infantry takes position with archers behind them and catapults further back. Since the army is split, there will always be one half that has a good line of fire against an enemy, no matter how he may deploy his troops. Either one half will be able to shoot raking shots lengthwise across the formation or both will be able to shoot diagonally through the center of the enemy infantry where the general is most often positioned and the formations are deepest.

To counter such a disposition one would of course wish to isolate one half before the other one can come to its assistance. But in the event of a massed cavalry assault - where the orcs may be inclined to use a more defensive formation in the first place - the catapult crews serve as four companies of mountain trolls in close combat which is a harsh predicament to face for any force of riders.

On the plains of central Harad, this completed formation would be tried out against one of the Gondorian forces that had been trailing the orc armies.

Their commander was a fool, and marched right into the jaws of the dragon.

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 05:21 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: [Third Age MOS AAR] An Orcs Tale - Chapter VII - VIII

Excellent chapter, I enjoyed the conversation between Malthur and Gorbag - it sounds very appropriate that someone higher in Mordor's hierarchy would want to take credit for Malthur's victories. I enjoyed Cirion's reflections on Malthur's formidable army, too - it sounds like the Olog-hai and the catapults manned by mountain trolls would be terrifying opponents.

Artifex

Yeah, the combination of trolls and artillery is not easily handled without severe losses. Your best bet would be artillery of your own and hit and run attacks against such an elite stack as Malthurs. In most Third Age mods, Olog-hai are so well armored that only elven archer armies stand a chance of downing one before they reach your lines. Otherwise it's better to load up on catapults, and trebuchets in case of Gondor or Arnor, and hope for a couple of lucky shots before it's time to retreat. In melee though, even trolls die after a while. Dwarven halberdiers and pikemen (Vault Wardens) are an unappealing pointy entity to charge into, or would be if the trolls had the brains to realise it.

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

I really enjoyed your orc dialogue writing, it was extremely well done and enjoyable. These recent tension-building chapters as a whole have been very good, and I'm looking forward to what appears to be an upcoming payoff, as Malthur's armies march south toward the rich coast lands of Umbar. The continuing trend of conflict between Malthur and the higher-ups is believable and makes for an interesting read, since it adds more to the story than simply reports of orc raiding and pillaging.

I am caught up and now subscribing. I think it is a very interesting idea to try and place yourself in the Orc's mind for this AAR. A challenge to be sure. I do not how you came to do this, but I applaud you on doing this as a very well done bit of writing. Your comment in post 135 was spot on as well. I admit to playing a bit on my buddies game with Elves. As expensive as they were those archers are amazing. Maybe it is time to down load the mod and fire up the Orcs, but it is your story that makes this so interesting

Artifex

Merry christmas and thanks Axis and NorseThing.
    I think it is a very interesting idea to try and place yourself in the Orc's mind for this AAR. A challenge to be sure.
    What!? Isn't Malthur the personification modern staff management and human resources administration?

My thoughts exactly.

Artifex

Chapter VII - IX

Malthurs camp on the road between Ramlond and Umbar, the late summer of 2986

Ramlond, the southern of the twin port cities in the great bay leading to the road and river towards Gobel Ancalimon, fell easily. Whether he was part of the last scattered remnants of the central mercantile factions that the chieftain Gorbag described or an abandoned corsair lord, the towns ruler Pharazon ended without aid from whatever allies he might have had.

That ominous name is one that is not easily spoken without deeper thoughts. It was Ar-Pharazons folly and fall that dragged the great Numenor with him under the waves. Likewise, his was the kingdom and the armies whose very sight convinced the dark lord that in contest of arms he would be without hope of victory, and could only succeed by treason and deceit.

Today, things are almost the other way around, as the corsairs are trying to buy Malthur over, but failing. Their representative, far too arrogant to hope to achieve anything, has been visiting the camp a couple of times, seemingly oblivious to the risk he is running of ending up as a tasty meal for his hosts. The thought of Malthur switching sides is rather interesting, though. At best, it would spark some sort of civil war between factions in Harad and make them destroy each other while the trolls withered down under the sun and heat.

As we have trekked along the coast, the climate is far more pleasant. Wind and rain drift in from the sea, and water the otherwise very hot plains between the sea and the mountains. The mountain range force the sky to give up what water it carries with it and on the other side, there is consequently nearly waterless desert and the tribal Far Harad begins, trackless waste where only the native warbands can survive.

There are lots trees and even woods along the coastal road, and not just bushes and the odd shrunken tree as before. There is not so much undergrowth though, not at all like the woods of Ithilien and Gondor. It has been said that the wood near Umbar is ill suited for building ships, so the corsairs mostly depend on timber bought from even further south, or taken from captured vessels. The ground is however rather fertile and together with the rains makes the land fitting for raising crops. Umbar is more or less self-sufficient when it comes to food and most other basic necessities. The mountains are mined for sparse metal and for marble, which they use to commemorate their unjust gains by building palaces and towers in honour of this or that pirate lord. Apart from that there is a large industry of fine textiles as well, also bought and worn by those same robbers.

We have camped on a ridge where the “northern mountains” as they would be called here turn to hills and cliffs out along a peninsula protecting the great bay of Umbar. The valley before us is crossed by lots of caravans going along the coastal lands and to the settlements and towns further out, where many shipyards are. Beyond is another ridge and beyond that is the plain with the city itself. There lies another peninsula, creating the smaller, inner, bay of Umbar, making it the superb harbor that caused the city to be built and prosper from the beginning. What a glorious place it could have been under Gondorian rule, as it once were.

After the grand but sorrowful victory of the last alliance Gondor grew and prospered, but plague came and our people fell in droves. Then strife and feuds and wars between our kin, and the rebels took the greater part of the fleets of that time, from its port in Pelargir, and sailed away. They fled to Umbar and from that time it was ever a nest of traitors and corsairs, at war with Gondor but especially so with Pelargir for which they held their greatest resentment. Those days are long gone and not a single ship from that time survives. Gondors shipbuilding has waned like all other things of glory, and the corsairs turned from the ways of constructing strong ships of war to faster crafts for raiding and overtaking other ships, relying on the ferocity of the crew more than the strength and armament of the ships. We will soon see what such vessels can do against the artillery of an army on the shore, if they can get close enough at all. For Umbar is a vast city and the walls to the east can not be defended from the sea, even from a ship anchored right next to the shore. Walls, and the promise of swift retribution sailing up from the sea along the rivers, has dissuaded the central factions of Harad, and the tribes of the deserts have no siege weapons up to the task. Malthur is not hampered by any of those things.

Last edited by Maltacus; June 04, 2018 at 05:22 AM.