Page 19 of 78 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728294469 ... LastLast

Thread: Modding Questions and Help Thread

Default Re: Modding Questions and Help Thread

Lets not make personal remarks towards other members.
    Last edited by ElvenKind; August 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

^ i would prefer it in a nice deep blue

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Only Site Moderators talk in blue, we Local (TATW) Moderators stick to royal red

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

I didn't know you guys were colour coded

i still prefer the blue though

Can anyone answer my previously stated question? I'm looking to change the gold yield of economy building such as mines and Markets, I have tried looking for such values but haven't turned up with much. Again, assistance would be appreciated.

Fozzie's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by crawfs View Post
    Can anyone answer my previously stated question? I'm looking to change the gold yield of economy building such as mines and Markets, I have tried looking for such values but haven't turned up with much. Again, assistance would be appreciated.
    Hi crawfs,

I believe the file you're looking for is export_descr_buildings in the data folder. At the top, it should have a directory including an "Economy" subsection. If you hit "ctrl + f," you can type "economy" until it takes you to that subsection. You can also search for individual building types (e.g. "market" and "mines") to find the specific buildings you want to modify. If I'm not mistaken, I think the actual gold yield of those buildings is set by modifiers which can affect individual settlements and factions in different ways. With mines, for example, one settlement may have more resources available related to mining. The gold yield from mines in that settlement will be higher. Each building's modifier should be listed under the "capability" line. Trade buildings will show a line "trade_base_income_bonus" followed by "bonus (number)" The number is the modifying value. Mines will show a line "mine_resource" followed by a number. Again, that number is the modifier there.

I've never modified these values personally, so if there's something I said that someone else wants to correct or add to, feel free.

Hope that helps,
    Fozzie

"Wocka wocka wocka." ~Fozzie Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie View Post
    Ah. Nothing I wrote was incorrect. Half of it was a statement of uncertainty. I wrote that I didn't KNOW if there was a way to modify those effects, not that it couldn't be done. And I was providing a possible work-around if, in fact, there wasn't a way to change them.

I answered this before it got moved to the "Modding Questions and Help Thread." It was in the generic Third Age Forum, and I was trying to provide a quick solution within the boundaries of my knowledge, because I didn't know the circumstances surrounding his (or her) question. Whether it was helpful is really up to him (or her), not you.

I apologize to Jmonstra if my response was misplaced or unnecessary. My apologies to moderators for this small rant. That just really got to me.

Fozzie
    Nothing to apologize for. The other guy was less than helpful and pretty rude to boot. You at least tried

Fozzie's Avatar Tiro

I actually have a question, myself. I've done some small modification work on text files and some 2D graphics. I've enjoyed it, and I've actually been surprised at how easy it is to smoothly change some of those things. I've been thinking about embarking on a slightly more challenging project in this semester's free time. It's still small, but it involves 3D graphics in addition to the text/2D work I've done. Before I attempt it, though, I wanted to make sure that no one else has made anything like it in the past (I tried searching, and I kept getting this vBulletin error: "index post: no such filter attribute 'groupparentid'" ). Anyway, here's my idea:

I always liked that Isengard had a custom diplomat from the start, Grima Wormtongue. One faction that does not have a diplomat from the start (that I know of) is Mordor. Mordor is inevitably one of the larger factions by game's end, and they also have one of the most extensive victory condition lists. I think giving them a diplomat from the beginning would be useful in forming alliances/trade as early as possible, especially considering their fairly weak early economy. I was thinking a custom diplomat like Grima Wormtongue could be cool, and I was thinking he could be the Mouth of Sauron. That being said, I know the Mouth of Sauron has also been done in non-Total War games as a "general" or "hero" character (ex: BFME2). Before moving forward with this, I was thinking about polling the people to know whether they would rather see the Mouth of Sauron as a custom diplomat or as a playable custom General.

Like I said, a lot of this is still tentative, and it's very much still just an idea in my head. More than anything, I just wanted to see if anyone knows whether this guy has been implemented in the past, and whether they think this could be a good idea.

Thanks!
    Fozzie

Foz, I'd recommend checking out this thread about Mouth of Sauron: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...outh-of-Sauron

Lot's of discussion in there about whether MoS should be a diplomat, a general, a governor (general with 0 movement), etc. and lot's of very strong opinions. It would be cool to me to see him in the game in some fashion.

Default Re: Changing Respect Bonuses

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Yep, this is a bad response to somebody who is taking the time to try and help somebody out.

The settings in question are:
    1) SPF_GOVERNORS_INFLUENCE in descr_settlement_mechanics.xml
    2) chiv_spf_modifier in descr_campaign_db.xml

Code:
          <factor name="SPF_GOVERNORS_INFLUENCE">    ;Governor chivalry
             <pip_modifier value="0.1"/>
             <pip_min value="0"/>
             <pip_max value="1"/>
          </factor>
    Code:
          <chiv_spf_modifier float="0.75"/>
    I don't know for sure but my guess is that each +1 Chivalry gives +0.1% growth (pip_modifier). And things like growth only happen in 0.5% steps. i.e. You would need 5 Chivalry (5 x 0.1%) to reach the first jump in growth (0.5%) and 10 Chivalry to reach the next (1.0%). But then there's the chiv_spf_modifier which is multiplied to the calculation, giving the final result.

e.g.
    5 Chivalry = (5 x 0.1%) x 0.75 = 0.375% --> no resulting effect because it is less than 0.5%
    6 Chivalry = = (6 x 0.1%) x 0.75 = 0.45% --> no resulting effect because it is less than 0.5%
    7 Chivalry = (7 x 0.1%) x 0.75 = 0.525% --> resulting effect = +0.5%
    10 Chivalry = (10 x 0.1%) x 0.75 = 0.75% --> resulting effect = +0.5%

I assume that's right because that's how it behaves in-game: you need 7 Chivalry to get the +0.5% bonus.

("Respect" is the in-game name of Chivalry.)

To reach the next step (+1.0%) you would need 14 Chivalry...

14 Chivalry = (14 x 0.1%) x 0.75 = 1.05% --> resulting effect = +1.0%

... but the pip_max prevents that: 14 x 0.1% = 1% (pip_max) instead of 1.4%, so the result is 0.75% instead of 1.05%, therefore +0.5% growth instead of +1.0%. (I don't know if he can have 14 Chivalry anyway but I wouldn't be surprised: Command can go higher than 10 even though the game can only show 10 stars.)

descr_settlement_mechanics.xml
    I don't know of any for descr_campaign_db.xml.
    Thanks very much, Withwnar. Problem officially solved.

Fozzie's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Metz View Post
    Foz, I'd recommend checking out this thread about Mouth of Sauron: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...outh-of-Sauron

Lot's of discussion in there about whether MoS should be a diplomat, a general, a governor (general with 0 movement), etc. and lot's of very strong opinions. It would be cool to me to see him in the game in some fashion.
    Thanks for the direction! I think I'm going to go ahead with a poll to see how receptive people are to it. I personally like the idea of putting him in as a custom general, but I bow to the will of the people.

Hey all, I was wondering if someone could help me out. Im running 3.2 TATW with 1.50 MOS, and I was curious if theres any way I can change the factions of some of my generals and how I would go about doing so. Specifically Im looking to change Legolas (possibly Gimli as well) from the Silvan Elves faction to the Free Peoples of Eriador faction. Im not entirely sure how to do this (Nor could I find any of the files mentioning generals and such) otherwise I'd try it myself, so any help would be appreciated.

Alright, I have a question. Where file are hidden resources created in? I want to add an AOR unit, and know how to using the hidden resource tag. I just don't know where to add/describe the hidden resource. Thanks

Quick update, Ive been testing out on Boromir and I managed to spawn him as a general for Eriador, it seems that the Gondor and Eriador/Arnor are Bodyguard unit compatible. However, Ive had problems with getting his name to appear, its just a :EMT_TURKS_NAMED_GENERAL_3 on the map and on his profile screen its blank, so how exactly would I get his name to appear? Ive deleted the Boromir for Gondor and gave his heir traits to Faramir, but when I tried to start a new campaign it went back to the main menu. (I've also had no name for Legolas when I made him a general for Eriador as well.) So along with the name thing, I also need to know how to get the other bodyguard units for other faction generals (ie Legolas) to appear as the unique units that they are instead of as grayed out peasants. Once again, any help would be appreciated because at this point im not sure if I could crack it on my own.

You need to add the names Boromir and Legolas to descr_names for Eriador (turks) and Arnor (byzantium)

Added both of them to descr_names.text in alphabetic order - still a no go. Boromir is still EMT_TURKS_NAMED_GENERAL_3 and when I take out Gondor Boromir I just go back to the menu, so I dont think the names are conflicting.

Alright, I have a question. Where file are hidden resources created in? I want to add an AOR unit, and know how to using the hidden resource tag. I just don't know where to add/describe the hidden resource. Thanks
    They're located at the beginning of the export_descr_buildings.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

A HR is given to a region/settlement in descr_regions.txt found in data/world/maps/base

If the name of region/settlement differ from ingame and is hard to find, use imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt in data/text as cross-reference

Quote Originally Posted by Gotserved531 View Post
    Quick update, Ive been testing out on Boromir and I managed to spawn him as a general for Eriador, it seems that the Gondor and Eriador/Arnor are Bodyguard unit compatible. However, Ive had problems with getting his name to appear, its just a :EMT_TURKS_NAMED_GENERAL_3 on the map and on his profile screen its blank, so how exactly would I get his name to appear? Ive deleted the Boromir for Gondor and gave his heir traits to Faramir, but when I tried to start a new campaign it went back to the main menu. (I've also had no name for Legolas when I made him a general for Eriador as well.) So along with the name thing, I also need to know how to get the other bodyguard units for other faction generals (ie Legolas) to appear as the unique units that they are instead of as grayed out peasants. Once again, any help would be appreciated because at this point im not sure if I could crack it on my own.
    You need to add the names Boromir and Legolas to descr_names for Eriador (turks) and Arnor (byzantium)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotserved531 View Post
    Added both of them to descr_names.text in alphabetic order - still a no go. Boromir is still EMT_TURKS_NAMED_GENERAL_3 and when I take out Gondor Boromir I just go back to the menu, so I dont think the names are conflicting.
    I begin with an
    OBS! I have no ideas if any scripts for Gondor in MOS require Boromir to be present, so that may cause problems.
    MOS is drowned in scripts, so it's really not the best mod to start to tweak around in unles you know what you're doing, just warning

When you have made edits in the descr_strat.txt you need to delete map.rwm* in data/world/maps/base to make the change apply

Also, while I never faced it myself, some files may have to be deleted* after a name edit. If that do not solve it I would double check weither you actually spelled the name correct, as it should work as long as it's put into the list of male names for turks + byzantium

As you play MOS you normally can simply use the Cleaner found in the Third_Age_3-folder to delete all relevant files so you don't have to do so manually
    *they all recreate when starting the game again so don't worry

Yet just as before you have to enable Eriador to use the Boromir batlle map model in both the export_descr_unit.txt and in battle_models.modeldb
    In the EDU look up Boromir and add this:
    Code:
    ownership        sicily, timurids, turks, byzantium
    era 0            sicily, turks, byzantium
    era 1            sicily, turks, byzantium
    era 2            sicily, turks, byzantium
    recruit_priority_offset    120
    Then check what armour_ug_models Boromir use (right above ownership).
    In my, old (as i don't play MOS any longer) version of MOS it states he have this model:
    Code:
    armour_ug_models kingsguard
    So open battle_models.modeldb found in data/unit_models with Notepad++ (invaluable tool http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ )
    Then add entries for turks and byzantium.

Original (in my version):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    10 kingsguard
    1 1
    46 unit_models/_Units/NGU/citadel_guard_lod0.mesh 6400
    6 sicily
    58 unit_models/_Units/NGU/textures/citadel_guard_diff.texture
    58 unit_models/_Units/NGU/textures/citadel_guard_norm.texture
    41 unit_sprites/sicily_kingsguard_sprite.spr
    8 timurids
    6 sicily
    68 unit_models/_Units/NGU/attachments/soldiers_attachments_diff.texture
    68 unit_models/_Units/NGU/attachments/soldiers_attachments_norm.texture 0
    8 timurids
    4 None
    10 MTW2_Spear 0
    18 MTW2_Spear_primary
    14 fs_test_shield 0
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

Updated, with edits in blue and new entries in red:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    10 kingsguard
    1 1
    46 unit_models/_Units/NGU/citadel_guard_lod0.mesh 6400
    6 sicily
    8 timurids
    5 turks
    9 byzantium
    6 sicily
    8 timurids
    5 turks
    9 byzantium
    4 None
    10 MTW2_Spear 0
    18 MTW2_Spear_primary
    14 fs_test_shield 0
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    OBS! If there are upgrades for the model you can se that in the armour_ug_models-line and have to do the same procedure for the other version too

Now do the same in for the uniqe Boromir-model, as you can see in the EDU we look at before on this line:
    Code:
    (...)
    soldier          kingsguard, 24, 0, 1.375, 0.3
    officer             boromir
    officer             gondor_banner_carrier_ug1
    (...)
    Add turks and byzantium to the boromir-entry in battle_models.modeldb
    I point out that the blue edit in the kingsguard-example mean how many factions that can use the model, and the number before the faction names (like 5 before turks or 6 before sicily) is how many letters it's in the faction name - and you have to get those right.
    Save and close
    Last edited by Ngugi; August 17, 2013 at 08:32 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Awesome, thank you very much for the help. I managed to get Boromir into the game with his bodyguard in color, and except for his clone trailing behind the bannerman hes fine. I have (I think) one last question - How do I change his strat map model? Hes running around as Aragorn while another general I started is Gandalf, is there anway to change him to his strat model from Gondor and the 2nd character I made to the standard Eriador/Arnor map general model?

Mank's Avatar Dormouse of Hader

Hi Gotserved,

The stratmap models are assigned from the special traits that the characters have. The specific models are assigned with the "levels" part of the trait, and so you'll need to make sure that the trait levels that boromir and any other generals start with line up with the ones you want to use.

You can find the stratmap model levels in the descr_character.txt file, and check the traits in the export_character_traits.txt file.

Examples:

1) Open descr_character.txt. You can find it in the main \mods\Third_Age_3\data folder. Search for "boromir". As you can see this is currently the 3rd entry in Sicily's 'named_character' list. Example below:
    Code:
    faction            sicily
    dictionary        15
    strat_model        gondor_general
    strat_model        gondor_general            ; heir
    strat_model        daprince                ;Prince of DA
    strat_model        boromir ----------> (this guy, it's number 3 because you start counting after the first strat_model) 
    strat_model        faramir
    strat_model        elessar
    strat_model        elessar
    strat_model        steward
    strat_model        oathbreaker_general
    2) Open export_character_traits.txt. You can find it in the main \mods\Third_Age_3\data folder. Search for "boromir". Make SURE that you go down to the entry that is just "boromir" and not "boromir2". In the example below I have highlighted in red the entry that corresponds to the descr_character level above:

Code:
    Trait Boromir
        Characters family

Level Boromir
            Description Boromir_desc
            EffectsDescription Boromir_effects_desc
            Threshold  1 

Effect Command 2
            Effect HitPoints 5
            Effect PersonalSecurity 1
            Effect Chivalry 3
            Effect LocalPopularity  1
            Effect Authority 2
            Effect Loyalty 5

Effect Level 3
    SO basically what you'll need to do is check your descr_character file to find which levels the stratmap models you want are assigned to, then add that appropriate level to the trait, then give that trait to the general in the descr_strat.

Hope this helps! Feel free to post any questions that this didn't cover.

~Mank