Page 15 of 78 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324254065 ... LastLast

Thread: Modding Questions and Help Thread

Default Re: Modding Questions and Help Thread

Thanks +rep! I just took a look at the garrison script, and unfortunately it has to trigger for each individual settlement. I was hoping that it was somehow scripted to work on every settlement without having to list each one. Oh well =( thanks anyway!

Default About create_unit.

Well. First of all, I'm new in this forum, so I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong site.

The problem is that when I type, for example, create_unit Foldburg Dismounted Eored Lancers 5 9 3 3 it gives me an error, but if I type create_unit Foldburg warriors 5 9 3 3 I get five units. So, the problem is that when I write units with only 1 word ID I get them, but when I want units with more than one word in their ID's it says err: unit type not recognised. I've tried a lot of combinations (including quotes, without quotes, etc) and it keeps being the same. Could you help me?

Thanks.

Default Re: About create_unit.

You need the actual unit name according the files, which isn't necessarily the same as the name you see on the screen.

Sorry, can't help you find the exact unit name you need, but sure someone here can tell you. If you poke around in the files you should find a file called something like unit_decsr.....txt or something like that. Do a search in that for Eored Lancers and you should be able to see the game engine name for the units.

And yes, if there are any spaces in the name you will need quotes around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki_999 View Post
    You need the actual unit name according the files, which isn't necessarily the same as the name you see on the screen.

Sorry, can't help you find the exact unit name you need, but sure someone here can tell you. If you poke around in the files you should find a file called something like unit_decsr.....txt or something like that.
    Yes, there is excatly from where I took their ID's and put them in the console, but as I said it doesn't work .

Finally it worked, as you said, I have to put quotes in the name of unit, but only in unit! I did in both city and unit. Thank you

You may need to put quotes around the settlement as well if it has a space, just the quotes need to be separate, eg: create_unit "settlement" "unit name"

Default Removing custom portraits

Hi! How can I remove the custom portraits to get the vanilla ones back? I knew how to do it but it has been a year I've played third age. Thanx in advance

Mank's Avatar Dormouse of Hader

Hi Olivier!

I wasn't 100% sure exactly what you meant by "getting the vanilla ones back," so I've provided two options that I thought were probably the most likley to be helpful. Hope one of these fits the bill.

If you're talking about getting rid of the "unique" hero portraits such as Elrond or Theoden

1) Go to: \SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age_3\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt
    2) Search (ctrl +f) for "portrait"
    3) Remove the portrait line from the characters
    4) Save and exit

ex. of what to delete

Code:
    character    Elrond, named character, male, leader, age 50, x 185, y 249, portrait Elrond, hero_ability ELROND    ;, label family_he1

If you're using a sub-mod such as MOS and you want the TATW 3.2 portraits back

**You will need to have the 'ui' folder from the original TATW 3.2, which means you most likely will have vanilla installed in a sub-folder somewhere**

1) Open up your vanilla TATW 3.2 'ui' folder and copy the file titled custom_portraits
    2) Open your current TATW game's ui folder: \SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age_3\data\ui
    3) Paste the custom_portraits folder from the original TATW 3.2 into your modded game's ui folder, and select to overwrite all files/ folders

**Note: A mod might have added new custom portraits that vanilla didn't even have, so those might still show up as they have not been overrided

I'll also link one of the best guides for all aspects of M2TW portraits : "Creating a World - Character portraits, creation, and use" by Gigantus

Cheers!
    Last edited by Mank; July 03, 2013 at 08:05 AM.

Hi I was wondering, how would one change the Orc cities on the battle map to their equivalent castle type? I would like to make a large town look like a wooden castle, a city look like a stone castle, a large city look like a fortress, etc. The crummy orc camps are too easy for my armies to assault, especially if I am elves. And once conquered, I hate to have my people live in them, particularly if they are already large cities and thus unupgradeable.

And how does one change strat models for cities and castles?
    Last edited by Steward Denethor II; July 04, 2013 at 08:46 PM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post
    Hi I was wondering, how would one change the Orc cities on the battle map to their equivalent castle type? I would like to make a large town look like a wooden castle, a city look like a stone castle, a large city look like a fortress, etc. The crummy orc camps are too easy for my armies to assault, especially if I am elves. And once conquered, I hate to have my people live in them, particularly if they are already large cities and thus unupgradeable.

And how does one change strat models for cities and castles?
    Would suggest you post the question in a thread here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...hp?275-Mapping
    Ask weither there's any tutorials on the matters.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Hi there!

I want to use the Gandalf the white minimod for TATW 3.2. Can somebody help me out?

MDT's Avatar Decanus

Is a mod out there that combines "classic" TATW gameplay with the 3.2 features?

I'm mostly interested in less lore friendly economics as this somehow ruined this mod for me.

@ MDT: Hrm I can't recall seeing any mod that was aimed just as an economy overhaul for 3.2. You're not alone for feeling fustrated about the TATW economy, it really is its own animal and not similar to any other M2TW mod that I've played.

Questions like these are also best asked in the "Submod Recommendations & Questions" thread . You might try posting this question there as more people might see it and have some good ideas to share!

@Red Viper: Yes, I'll be happy to lay out the broad strokes for you. I don't have my external hardrive with Baron's stuff on it at the moment but I'll be back from travelling tomorrow and will be sure to post some of the main steps. Off the top of my head I know you'll need to port over code for the stratmap models, the code from the campaign_script, historic_events, and the new traits. I'll get to the specifics tomorrow.

MDT's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Mank View Post
    @ MDT: Hrm I can't recall seeing any mod that was aimed just as an economy overhaul for 3.2. You're not alone for feeling fustrated about the TATW economy, it really is its own animal and not similar to any other M2TW mod that I've played.

Questions like these are also best asked in the "Submod Recommendations & Questions" thread . You might try posting this question there as more people might see it and have some good ideas to share!
    I'll do so thanks.

@Red Viper: Yes, I'll be happy to lay out the broad strokes for you. I don't have my external hardrive with Baron's stuff on it at the moment but I'll be back from travelling tomorrow and will be sure to post some of the main steps. Off the top of my head I know you'll need to port over code for the stratmap models, the code from the campaign_script, historic_events, and the new traits. I'll get to the specifics tomorrow.
    Looking forward to it!

Hokay! I've just skimmed though the code and here's some of the thing's you'll need to port over the "Gandalf the White" mod:

**Before doing any modding I strongly recommend making a back-up copy of any file you're about to change**

**I also highly recommend using Notepad ++ to make your text file changes. You can get it HERE.

Transferring the Script

Open Baron's campaign_script.txt file that's in the \data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign folder. Search (ctrl+f) for "Gandalf the White" and copy all the relevant code. Be sure to get both the part at the top as well as the part in the middle of the file!

For the Portrait

Copy the 'gandalf2' file from Baron's /data/ui/custom_portraits and paste it in your main /data/ui/custom_portraits folder.

For the New Movie

Copy the 'gandalf_died.bik' from Baron's /data/fmv/event and paste it in your main /data/fmv/event folder.

For the New Events

1) Copy the 'gandalf_fight.tga' and 'gandalf_white.tga' from Baron's \data\ui\northern_european\eventpics and paste it in BOTH your main northern_european and gondor eventpics folders.
    2) Open the historic_events.txt file found in Third_Age_3\data\text. You'll need to copy these text events from Baron's version: gandalf_white ; gandalf_fight ; gandalf _died ; gandalf_revived

For the New Traits

1) Open the export_descr_character_traits.txt file that's in your Third_Age_3\data folder. Copy the Gandalf_white2 ; Gandalf_white3 ; Gandalf_white4 ; Gandalf_white5 entries and add them to your main file.
    2) Open the export_VnVs.txt file found in Third_Age_3\data\text. You'll need to copy these entries from Baron's version: Gandalf_white2, Gandalf_white3, Gandalf_white4, Gandalf_white5

**Be sure to delete the string.bin files from the text folder after modifiying the historic_events and export_vnvs**

Adding Gandalf to Other Factions

1) Open the descr_strat.txt file that's in your Third_Age_3\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign folder and add the 'beardman1' label to Gandalf's character line so it looks like this:
    Code:
    character    Gandalf, named character, male, age 22, x 117, y 248,  battle_model gandalf, portrait Gandalf, hero_ability GANDALF, label beardman1
    2) Open the export_descr_unit.txt file that's in your Third_Age_3\data folder. Search (ctrl+f) for 'Gandalf Bodyguards'. At the bottom of the entry where you see the ownership & era lines add: timurids, sicily, milan, egypt, mongols, moors, scotland, turks

So it should look like this:
    Code:
    ownership        timurids, sicily, milan, egypt, mongols, moors, scotland, turks
    era 0            timurids, sicily, milan, egypt, mongols, moors, scotland, turks
    era 1            timurids, sicily, milan, egypt, mongols, moors, scotland, turks
    era 2            timurids, sicily, milan, egypt, mongols, moors, scotland, turks
    3) Open the battle_models.modelsdb file that's in your Third_Age_3\data\unit_models folder. Search (ctrl+f) for 'Gandalf_white' and copy/paste the additional factions found in Baron's version.

Ok I think those are the broad strokes. Quite a lot going on here so try and be patient while doing the text transfers. Don't be suprised if you run into a few crashes after doing all of this, there's a lot to keep up with and there's always a chance I've overlooked something. If you're game crashed after trying this post back here and we'll troubleshoot.

Goodluck!
    Last edited by Mank; July 10, 2013 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Edited to make things a bit more readable

I'm having a problem changing out a generals bodyguard unit that i can't seem to get the correct number of men to spawn with the general. I am using tatw 3.2+mos 1.5
    Heres what his general bodyguard unit looks like in descr_unit.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

type Dismounted Bodyguard
    dictionary gondor_dismounted_bodyguards ; gondor dismounted bodyguards
    category infantry ; Quality
    class heavy
    voice_type General
    banner faction main_infantry
    banner holy crusade
    soldier gondor_dismounted_bodyguards, 60, 0, 1.3
    officer gondor_captain_early_flag
    officer gondor_captain_early_flag
    mount_effect elephant +2
    attributes sea_faring, very_hardy, command, can_withdraw, free_upkeep_unit, general_unit
    formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 4, square
    stat_health 1, 3
    stat_pri 10, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 0, 1
    stat_pri_attr no
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 15, 7, 5, metal
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 8
    stat_ground 0, -1, 0, -2
    stat_mental 16, disciplined, trained
    stat_charge_dist 15
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 720, 220, 100, 100, 720, 3, 150
    armour_ug_levels 4
    armour_ug_models gondor_dismounted_bodyguards
    ownership sicily
    era 0 sicily
    era 1 sicily
    era 2 sicily
    recruit_priority_offset 10

I am trying to change Boromirs bodyguard from kingsguard spearmen to Dismounted gondor bodyguard i have set Boromir in descr_strat to start with them and even made a copy of the unit and made another entry with _BG just for use with Boromir but that did't do anything for me. But when the campaign starts he only spawns with 79 men and never gains more no matter how many turns where as he should be spawning with 153 or so units total, other then the number of men they work just fine they replenish there numbers like normal bodyguards. If i do a custom battle the unit size is correct.

Any clue what would cause him to spawn with a different number of men then whats in the file?

I seem to recall there being a correlation between authority and the size of a general's bodyguard, but I'm really quite fuzzy on the subject. I know you could easily work around the issue by manipulating this number to make the campaign size a bit larger:

Code:
    soldier          gondor_dismounted_bodyguards, 60, 0, 1.3
    ...but that would also incrase the unit's size for all other generals that have 'dismounted bodyguards' so that might not be what you're looking for in terms of a solution.

I honestly can't recall the extact dynamic that influcences bodyguard size for each general, so if you're still curious about it I'd recommend heading over to the "Text Editing and Scripting" side of the Mod Workshop. I'm sure someone there will know.

Thanks someone else told me that as well its very weird if i change it to 100 (which is the max before i get a instant ctd) he ends up with 102 bodyguard. In any case he seems to working just fine with 79 men maybe next campaign i will mess with it more.

DrBeast's Avatar Biarchus

Personal Security also adds more units to the Bodyguard retinue.