Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MMS 1.3 – MultiMod Support

Icon3 MMS 1.3 – MultiMod Support

MMS - MultiMod Support

The time for community-made tools is not over because of the release of official mod tools. It may have just begun.

Proudly presenting the first one.

Download here

Version 1.3: 16.10.2012
    - added postprocess functionality as in PFM (file rename, DB optimization)
    - rearranged menus
    - added manual trigger of backup and restore of backup from same session
    - storing backup data in user's appdata/MMS folder instead of in the Assembly Kit installation

Version 1.2: 13.10.2012
    - added "cleanup" feature to remove superfluously added "battleterrain" and "variantmodels" folders from pack automatically
    - added "open in explorer" for assembly kit installation directory and Shogun data directory
    - added "open mod pack in PFM" feature

Previous Versions:
    Version: 1.1, 05.10.2012
    - allows to import db files from existing packs
    - fixed deletion of currently active mod not cleaning up working directory

Version: 1.0, 28.09.2012
    First upload

Installation Unzip in any directory. Start using the .exe file.
    Upon first start, you will be prompted for your mod tools installation directory (also, your Steam installation if it can't find it).
    It is highly recommended to have your modding.zip unpacked there already; if you don't, MMS will do that, but it will take much, much longer. I didn't even try so I don't know how long exactly

Why use this? Here is the basic data flow of the tools CA delivered looks like:
    modding.zip -> raw_data (xml) -> working_data (binary) -> pack file.

This is tailored to their own development process (after all, they do use these tools internally); but if you look closely, modders may run into problems.
    One of those problems is that modders may work on several mods in parallel; the tools' setup makes it hard to manage that, because if you work on more than one mod, you need to keep your data apart.

Example:
    My two mini-mods “camerazoom” (editing db/battle_cameras) and “real_normal_difficulty” (editing db/campaign_difficulty_handicaps) are completely independent from each other. If I were to start real_normal_difficulty after finishing my work on camerazoom, the binary data exported for the latter would still be present in working_data; so BOB would include it in the real_normal_difficulty pack, which I don't want. The same is true for the edited xml files; battle_cameras.xml would still contain the values from camerazoom.

What does it do? MMS will allow you to keep a list of mods you're working on and ensure you're always working on the correct data set for each one.
    It keeps a backup directory (<mod_install_dir>/MMS/<modname>) for each mod in your list; here, it will copy the files you edited in a session.
    It will restore them when switching the current mod in MMS. You could do this yourself by just copying the whole directory, but it's 2 GB each.

It also provides some additional features:
    - launch TWeak or BOB with the current data set
    - “install” or “uninstall” the current mod (i.e., copy the pack to or delete it from the game's data directory). Pack needs to have been created by BOB first.
    - launch Shogun II (or, to be more exact, the ModManager that now comes up beforehand)
    - does workflow sanity checks:
    - before installing, verifies that the working data folder does not contain any data that might have not been added to the pack yet (i.e. that you haven't forgotten to run BOB packing after an edit)
    - before launching, does the same check; also verifies that the packs of your mods installed in your game directory are recent (i.e., not older than the ones in the mods' folders).
    - there is a Restore Original Data facility; USE AT YOUR OWN RISK: it will remove all edits you made in the currently set mod and delete the working folder contents for it.

There are still several things I have on my list; the most urgent one is to provide an import facility for existing mod packs. I'm also thinking of providing an “edited file list” to give an overview over your mod, and to be able to undo individual changes (although that might get extensive for larger mods ).

The general rule is that if you have a mod selected in the list, this is the one that will be used for the feature you trigger (tweak, bob, install etc). If none is selected, the one marked with an asterisk will be used. Note that because of the checks the tool performs and the copying of files, you'll notice a slight delay when switching between mods.

TL;DR Don't use CA's mod tools on their own, use this.
    Or not if you don't like convenience or data integrity

I did think about calling it something like "ModTool Control Center" because that's pretty much what it is.
    Then I thought about getting in line with CA's naming convention and have it be "Totalwar Organizer for Modtools" - TOM.

In the end, I couldn't be bothered and stayed with the working name
    Last edited by daniu; October 20, 2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added 1.3
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Frodo45127's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: MMS – MultiMod Support

A little bug that I found: If you delete the "Active" mod, and after that you set as "Active" another mod, the files of the first mod will be merged with the files of the second mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo45127 View Post
    A little bug that I found: If you delete the "Active" mod, and after that you set as "Active" another mod, the files of the first mod will be merged with the files of the second mod.
    Thank you, I'll fix that.

I have by now thought of a lot of features for this btw.

Highest priority on "import existing mod pack".
    Last edited by daniu; September 29, 2012 at 04:43 AM.
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Added new version 1.1; this should allow the import of db files of existing packs which should then be editable in TWeak.
    All other data from the pack will get extracted to working_data; should mean BOB will put them in a pack, haven't tried though.

Let me know if this works.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Added new versions 1.2; the Assembly Kit currently adds two folders to packs it creates, even if you didn't change anything in them, resulting in pack files of 22MB size...
    Let's fix this until CA do.

- added "cleanup" feature to remove superfluously added "battleterrain" and "variantmodels" folders from pack automatically
    - added "open in explorer" for assembly kit installation directory and Shogun data directory
    - added "open mod pack in PFM" feature
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Uploaded version 1.3:
    - added postprocess functionality as in PFM (file rename, DB optimization)
    - rearranged menus
    - added manual trigger of backup and restore of backup from same session
    - storing backup data in user's appdata/MMS folder instead of in the Assembly Kit installation
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Default Re: MMS 1.3 – MultiMod Support

Hi daniu!

Thanks for making this tool, it's very useful to have a central hub for all modding tools. Just a small bug-report: when using the optimize feature in MMS, not only all database files will be renamed, but all files included in the .pack-file. This means that additional files (such as unitvariants) will be renamed as well, and no longer match with the values provided in the database (in this case, the file_name field in the uniforms table). This will cause bugs, and possibly even crashes. You can fix this by making it only rename the files in db\* (and possibly text\*? not sure if this works), as when selecting these folders in PFM and then using rename selected.

Another bug report: in the latest version MMS asks me for the shogun directory every time I start it, instead of just on first run.

And an easy feature suggestion: modify the rules.bob file which is generated when adding a new mod, to exclude all data in BattleTerain, campaign_maps, campaigns and variant_models. This will change the starting file size of the .pack file from 600 mb to 0 mb, and will remove the need for the clean up feature.

Thanks again,
    JSQuareD!

Quote Originally Posted by JSQuareD View Post
    Just a small bug-report: when using the optimize feature in MMS, not only all database files will be renamed, but all files included in the .pack-file. This means that additional files (such as unitvariants) will be renamed as well, and no longer match with the values provided in the database (in this case, the file_name field in the uniforms table). This will cause bugs, and possibly even crashes.
    Good point; I've only been working on db files so it didn't concern me yet.

possibly text\*? not sure if this works
    Don't know either, I'd assume so. If you want to do me a favor, try that out; I won't get around to that for some time (should be able to fix the software though).

in the latest version MMS asks me for the shogun directory every time I start it, instead of just on first run.
    Ooops, yeah I changed that in PFM and it's common codebase, forgot to adjust MMS as well.
    You moved your Steam installation, right? I'll probably best use and adjust the Assembly Kit's game_path.txt file.

And an easy feature suggestion: modify the rules.bob file which is generated when adding a new mod, to exclude all data in BattleTerain, campaign_maps, campaigns and variant_models. This will change the starting file size of the .pack file from 600 mb to 0 mb, and will remove the need for the clean up feature.
    Yeah but it will prevent users from using it if they do want to edit one of those
    As it is, you can just edit the rules.bob file to exclude them, and they'll get backup up; I think that's the more flexible approach.

Maybe I can make the Cleanup button remove all files that were edited from the original.
    Last edited by daniu; October 22, 2012 at 03:46 AM.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    Don't know either, I'd assume so. If you want to do me a favor, try that out; I won't get around to that for some time (should be able to fix the software though).
    I tried the following: I opened my .pack-file in PFM, minimzed as usual, and then renamed both db/* and text/db/*. Then I deleted the .txt-files, so that only the .loc-tables were left. Then I modified these tables to only contain the modded entries (or in fact added entries, but I assume this doesn't make a difference). So basically, I minimized these tables just like the normal tables. I saved this, and tried it in game, and both the new unit, and the existing units, still had correct descriptions.

To summarize, this is what the PFM and MMS postprocess features should optimally do:
    PFM minimize DB-feature: minimize normal DB-files, remove text/db/*.txt files, minimize text/db/*.loc DB-files.
    PFM rename standard: rename all files in db/* and in text/db/*. (I propose this as a new feature)
    The MMS optimize feature: combine the above two.

Yeah but it will prevent users from using it if they do want to edit one of those
    As it is, you can just edit the rules.bob file to exclude them, and they'll get backup up; I think that's the more flexible approach.
    Not sure we are understanding each other correctly. I'm talking about the rules.bob file which gets generated when you first create a mod. Currently, this file looks like this:
    Code:
    [Pack]
    	<Files> = -*.pack
    	PackFile = <retail>/data/<MOD_NAME>.pack
    	PackType = mod
    And I'm proposing you change that to look like this:
    Code:
    [Pack]
    	<Files> = db/*/*, text/db/*.loc
    	PackFile = <retail>/data/<MOD_NAME>.pack
    	PackType = mod
    (I know, I said to exclude CA's folders, rather than to include the DB folders before, but this is actually very complicated because you have to explicitly mention all subfolders. Ridiculous syntax...
    Also notice that I only include the .loc files, and not the .txt files, as I showed them to be unnecessary)
    Obviously, the user can still modify this file, and MMS should handle it as it does now.
    This leads to less set-up work when creating a new mod, a quicker BOB-compile time, and renders the cleanup feature useless, which means one less step for the modder, and one less feature to maintain for you.

Maybe I can make the Cleanup button remove all files that were edited from the original.
    I assume you mean 'remove all files that weren't edited from the original'? Obviously, that would be very useful, and would mean that no editing of the rules.bob file has to be done at all. It still means there is a larger BOB-compile time, an extra step for the modder, and an extra feature for you to maintain though. Plus, it's more work to implement than the change I suggested. I guess it's up to you to decide what's more important.

And a few extra features which could ease the use of MMS:
    • Add a rename feature, this is especially useful for naming the 'existing_changes' which are generated when you first start MMS. (I realize this is already possible by changing the folder names in %appdata%/MMS, but like I said, it's just to ease the use.)'
    • Generate a warning when a mod's name includes spaces, spaces in .pack-file-names will crash shogun 2
    • Show a progress bar and an abort button whenever MMS is moving around data. This way it won't go into 'hiding' when closing MMS, which proved to be very annoying when I was waiting for MMS to finish for me to manually manipulate some data, and removes the need of using the task manager to abort the process, for example when you accidentally make MMS move large amounts of data. (I extracted data.pack inside the Assembly Kit's folder, and then MMS started copying all of this over...)

Thanks again for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by JSQuareD View Post
    I tried the following: [...] I saved this, and tried it in game, and both the new unit, and the existing units, still had correct descriptions.
    Brilliant, I'd have done it the same way. Sounds like it does work.
    Thanks a lot.

PFM minimize DB-feature: minimize normal DB-files, remove text/db/*.txt files, minimize text/db/*.loc DB-files.
    PFM rename standard: rename all files in db/* and in text/db/*. (I propose this as a new feature)
    The MMS optimize feature: combine the above two.
    Well the PFM's rename is applied to all files below the selected folder, I'll keep it that way.

Not sure we are understanding each other correctly. I'm talking about the rules.bob file which gets generated when you first create a mod.
    Yep, that's what I was talking about as well.
    Thing is, what I meant before, with the rules you gave there you would explicitly exclude the battleterrain and unitvariants by default, and the user would have to put them into the rules file afterwards to get them. I was thinking it would be best to keep the current default behavior as much as possible.
    Then again, you're probably right; most people will want to edit DB, and I make that assumption in other places already pretty much.

this is actually very complicated because you have to explicitly mention all subfolders. Ridiculous syntax
    Code:
    -*.unit_variant
    is not enough?

I assume you mean 'remove all files that weren't edited from the original'?
    Haha no actually I was mixing up my thoughts here; what I did mean was 'only add the files that were edited from the original', but to the rules.bob file.
    What I think I really can also do is when BOB is started, the rules file can be filled with an explicit list of all edited files. That would mean that when selecting "Create Pack", exactly those will be the ones that get autoselected (IIUC); that would be really good because it'll give you the additional chance to check if you didn't forget anything.
    Problem with that is that it takes quite long to check what files have been edited (it's what consumes most of the time when switching between mods).

Add a rename feature, this is especially useful for naming the 'existing_changes' which are generated when you first start MMS. (I realize this is already possible by changing the folder names in %appdata%/MMS, but like I said, it's just to ease the use.)'
    Yeah, that should be easy enough...
    Generate a warning when a mod's name includes spaces, spaces in .pack-file-names will crash shogun 2
    I thought of that before, I was just too lazy to try out if spaces were allowed in game

Show a progress bar and an abort button whenever MMS is moving around data. This way it won't go into 'hiding' when closing MMS, which proved to be very annoying when I was waiting for MMS to finish for me to manually manipulate some data, and removes the need of using the task manager to abort the process,
    The progress bar isn't that easy; I did add the "restoring data for ..." message.
    In the case you mention, yeah I close the window and the rest of the cleanup happens in the background; you really shouldn't force-stop that usually (or the backup won't be complete). Maybe it's better to keep the window open until backup is finished so the user sees that stuff is still going on? I think that's more irritating than useful in the normal case.
    And I see no way to interrupt the backup/restore action in any meaningful way (i.e., without the possibility to corrupt data, trying to prevent which is like the main function of this tool ).
    Last edited by daniu; October 23, 2012 at 03:06 AM.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

hi! i have a problem was hoping you could help!!. when ever i start up MMS it has trouble Recognize the path i have set. So basically when MMS opens up I copy paste ( C:\official_modding_tools )
    And an error message comes up :
    System.IO.FilenotfoundException:could not find file C:\program file (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\ modding\modding.zip
    Any ideas ??
    And thanks for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by templer123 View Post
    hi! i have a problem was hoping you could help!!. when ever i start up MMS it has trouble Recognize the path i have set. So basically when MMS opens up I copy paste ( C:\official_modding_tools )
    And an error message comes up :
    System.IO.FilenotfoundException:could not find file C:\program file (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\ modding\modding.zip
    Any ideas ??
    And thanks for your time!
    Did you by any chance move your Steam installation to another directory?
    I'm currently updating MMS to have a better detection for that.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Hi, Have run into a problem. Whenever I try to delete my mod in MMS I get an error message from Microsoft .NET. I can provide with error report if you want me to, though its on swedish. Then after the error the mod is still there, it hasnt been deleted! Sometimes the mod dissapears and the "retail" folder too when I try to remove it. However, the next time i launch, the is back.
    Would be grateful if anyone could solve this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ygge View Post
    Hi, Have run into a problem. Whenever I try to delete my mod in MMS I get an error message from Microsoft .NET. I can provide with error report if you want me to, though its on swedish. Then after the error the mod is still there, it hasnt been deleted! Sometimes the mod dissapears and the "retail" folder too when I try to remove it. However, the next time i launch, the is back.
    So you select "remove", then the error occurs, and the mod isn't gone from the list?
    Does anyone else have this?

Try this:
    - select a Mod different to the one you want to remove
    - leave MMS
    - browse to "C:Users\username\AppData\Roaming\MMS"
    It should contain a number of directories, one for each of your Mods.
    - delete the folder of the mod you want to remove
    That should do it I hope.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

So you select "remove", then the error occurs, and the mod isn't gone from the list?
    Does anyone else have this?

Try this:
    - select a Mod different to the one you want to remove
    - leave MMS
    - browse to "C:Users\username\AppData\Roaming\MMS"
    It should contain a number of directories, one for each of your Mods.
    - delete the folder of the mod you want to remove
    That should do it I hope.
    It has worked this far. Thanks alot! However it might not matter much because none of my mods work, no matter what I try to alter or make. For example I have tried to put upkeep on roads.

Hi. I'm having trouble opening this tool. When I run it, the tool does not open, although it does show up in the processes menu under tools manager. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniak View Post
    Hi. I'm having trouble opening this tool. When I run it, the tool does not open, although it does show up in the processes menu under tools manager. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
    Did you unpack CA's tools zip in the folder you first gave MMS?
    If not, MMS will do the unpacking, and that'll take forever.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Did you unpack CA's tools zip in the folder you first gave MMS?
    If not, MMS will do the unpacking, and that'll take forever.
    I am having the same problem. I have unpacked everything. The few times that MMS does launch (after at least 5 minutes) it becomes unresponsive as soon as I try anything (launching Tweak, adding new mod, setting a mod as active, etc.). Any ideas on how to make it work right?

Quote Originally Posted by hattori ninja View Post
    The few times that MMS does launch (after at least 5 minutes) it becomes unresponsive as soon as I try anything (launching Tweak, adding new mod, setting a mod as active, etc.). Any ideas on how to make it work right?
    MMS will recover the backup of what you previously worked on, which may be a lot of files; that would lock it up for a while. Cannot do anything against that because if it allowed anything during that time, files may not have been copied yet so you may work on an incomplete data set which you most definitely not want.
    This is basically true for most operations; if you're working on a lot of files, MMS will need time to copy/move all of them. For instance, if you start a new mod, it will backup the files of the current mod to be able to start from a clean slate. Same when changing mods; it will first backup the current mod, then recover the ones of the mod you switched to.
    Basically, if you were doing all the backup/recovery manually, it would take the same time.
    You can check the backup directory of your present mod, maybe some files got in there which weren't necessary.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Did you by any chance move your Steam installation to another directory?
    I'm currently updating MMS to have a better detection for that.
    I have this issue, MMS is unuseable as i cant set the path. Steam is in the default c:/prog file(x86)/steam. CA assembly kit was in D:/Shogun2_AsK. MMS would then tell me when i put D:/Shogun2_AsK as the file location that it cant find the modding.zip in the c:/prog file(x86)/steam location eventhough im specifying it is in D. Moving everything to c:/prog file(x86)/steam didnt help.
    ----------------------
    Shameless DarthMod Fanatic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast