Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [SV AAR] The Wolf Among Dogs - The Latin Empire (Chapter 33, September 11)

Default [SV AAR] The Wolf Among Dogs - The Latin Empire (Chapter 33, September 11)

While many are familiar with the story of the Fourth Crusade, its bastard child, the Latin Empire, is much less known. In the past months I have been fascinated with its history and have read about it a lot - enough to decide to write an AAR about it. The only mod that has the Latin Empire is Chivalry II: The Sicilian Vespers, an excellent work which I got to like very much. SV has four eras, and I picked the High Era which starts in 1212.

Everything is here for an interesting campaign, in which I will try to follow what the Latin Empire would have done if it survived more than a few decades. Expansion to the Balkans (Serbia and Bulgaria!), taking out the remnants of the Greeks, messing with Venice and hopefully a crusade or two... shown through the eyes of a young knight from Picardy.

The technical deal is the same as before: I will update the OP with the table of contents and links to the new chapters. I aim for one chapter per 7-10 days, we'll see how it goes. In case you wonder about the picture: it is an old drawing of Mistra, the Frank castle above Sparta which I visited many years ago.

Happy reading everybody!

Table of Contents

Prologue: The dogs of Greece

1. Staying alive
    2. Meeting with the king
    3. Darkness falls
    4. The seeds of mistrust
    5. Uncertainty
    6. The king's eye
    7. The dead wolf
    8. The sun and the cross
    9. Unholy retinues
    10. The jewel of the realm
    11. Cold blade
    12. Dark dreams and an angel face
    13. Winter
    14. The battle of Skopia
    15. Heaven on earth
    16. Three years in hell
    17. Dead rats
    18. Cold memories
    19. Under the eyes of the Lord
    20. Chivalry revisited
    21. Twists of fate
    22. Salvation
    23. The mountains of Epirus
    24. Somewhere in Venice
    25. The devil's lair
    26. The king's justice
    27. Dead man in the moat
    28. The north road
    29. The end of winter
    30. The land of God
    31. Escape
    32. Revenge
    33. As deep as the dark sea

~
    Last edited by Radzeer; September 11, 2014 at 06:20 PM.

Default Re: [SV AAR] The Wolf Among Dogs - The Latin Empire

Prologue: The dogs of Greece

I remember the day when the news about the battle of Adrianople had arrived to our castle in Picardy. It was a cold and rainy day, and the runner was covered with mud as if he was coming straight from that battle which took place months before. He told us that on a spring day three hundred good knights and thousands of sergeants were massacred by the Bulgarians. Count Baldwin of Flanders, the first Roman Emperor crowned after the fall of Constantinople, was captured and died in a Bulgarian dungeon. It was a sad time for Christendom, and I will never forget the shock that came only a year after Constantinople returned to the Latin Church.

While the death of the king was grave news for many, our family was more worried about my brother Arnulf who left with the Count when the Fourth Crusade sailed from Venice. But it was not until years later when we learned that he is alive, upon his unexpected arrival. He told us that he came back to recruit knights to fight for King Henri, who followed his elder brother on the throne. He was in dire need of men as many of the crusaders returned home after the fall of Constantinople, leaving the King with few man to protect the realm. This provided an opportunity for both the Greeks in Nicaea and the Bulgarians to strangle the new Roman Empire in its infancy. And if that was not enough danger, many thought that Venice which grabbed the Greeks' most valuable possessions in the Aegean after the Fourth Crusade was an unreliable ally, serving nothing but their own rotten interests.

Arnulf was the second son of my father and he was very proud of him, maybe even prouder than of Louis who was the eldest and stayed home as his heir. I was the youngest and only a child when the Fourth Crusade had left, but my father expected me to seek fortune in the east too when my time comes. He named me after Robert II, the legendary Count of Flanders who went to Jerusalem with the First Crusade and came back as a rich and respected man. I accepted this fate for I had no other choice. Our family lands were inherited by Louis, so Arnulf and I had to look for our fortune elsewhere. We all knew that there was land to be taken in Greece, although some first had to be taken away from others.

In the Year of Our Lord 1212, I turned sixteen and my father approved my voyage to join Arnulf who was preparing to go back with a band of men he recruited in Picardy. During the journey, Arnulf talked a lot about the peculiar situation of the Frankish realm in Greece. It was several years after the fall of Constantinople, but the collapse of the once great empire still left most of the country in chaos. The task for King Henri and the barons was to establish the Frankish rule, organize the realm according to our customs and the spread the word of God by the rites of the Latin Church.

The south was still partly in Greek hands who ruled Epirus which was easy to defend and difficult to subdue. The Frank barons held strategic castles, first of all Mistra which was overlooking the ancient city of Sparta. The Greek lands were isolated, but strong enough to cause trouble. The resources to deal with them were limited because the Venetian colony of Negroponte dominated the trade routes, making the once rich cities of Athens and Korinthos decline.

In the central provinces of Thessalonica it was not the Greeks but the Bulgarians that caused much headache. I knew little about them apart from their role in the demise of King Baldwin. Arnulf told me that there was hardly a year without a Bulgarian raid on Thessalonica or Adrianople. The mountains to the north offered little help against the invaders because our men were few and were mostly residing in the two cities, surrounded by Greek and Slav peasants that saw them as enemies. This was where the danger as well as the need for men was the greatest and where Arnulf was planning to go.

Finally, in the north there was Constantinople, the jewel capital of the Roman Empire, right across from Nicaea. Knowing the Greek threat all too well, King Henri resided there with a strong force, understanding that losing Constantinople would mean losing the realm. Secretly, I hoped that I will soon have the opportunity to visit this city about which I have heard so many wonderful and mysterious things.

On the voyage, I have seen many signs of recent wars over the corpse of the Byzantine Empire. The Venetians were busy securing the islands for themselves, and while we were usually welcomed I was amazed how much we had to pay for everything. In contrast, when we stopped in the ancient city of Athens, the market was almost empty and the people, overwhelmingly Greek, were discontent. Prince Pierre de Courtenay, who was no other but the grandson of Louis VI the Fat, was in Mistra that time so we did not get to meet him.

Athens was the first city I saw in Frankish Greece, offering me a glimpse at the difficulties facing the realm. Shortage of knights and settlers, a discontent Orthodox Greek population, the difficulty to establish the Latin church organization, ambiguous relations with Venice... I felt that making our fortune would be more difficult than what I thought when I left Picardy. Still, Achaia was ruled by the Courtenay family with many good French knights and Arnulf said the Prince is an effective suzerain of these lands, which as I learned later was not the case everywhere.

We left the city after a few days, and following another two weeks at sea we arrived to the province of Thessalonica. The city was ruled by the Duke of Montferrat and this was where most of the northern Italian crusaders were. Few of my companions from Flanders and Picardy had good things to say about the men of Lombardy, but Arnulf warned us not to be arrogant.

"The previous Duke, Boniface, was the leader of the Fourth Crusade and almost became the king," he said as we rode toward the city. "But the Venetians voted against him, as these Italians hate each other, and this is how Count Baldwin was crowned. Boniface then took Thessalonica as his own fief. When years later he was ambushed and killed by the Bulgarians, his son, the current Duke took over."

"He is still the vassal of King Henri, I presume." I firmly believed in the divine order from God to King to barons and commoners. But Arnulf hesitated to answer.

"The Dukes of Montferrat are supposed to aid the king, and Boniface has done so many times before he was killed," he said. "But his son is different. He even calls himself the king of Thessalonica as I heard. Still, King Henri does not have other choice but to trust him. He needs every baron to fight our enemies. And these Italians here have had their share of fight. This province is the main target of the Bulgarians."

"So are we going to fight on the side of the Lombards?" I was not pleased with this possibility.

Arnulf smiled. "No. The men from Flanders and Picardy are mostly King Henri's vassals and have fiefs around Adrianople. But before we go there, I want to look around here. I have been away for a long time, and it is my duty to counsel the King in various affairs, which I can only do if I know this land well."

I never heard before that Arnulf was so close to the King. But again, the number of knights in Frankish Greece was probably small enough for the king to personally know most of them, and since he was from Flanders he must have chosen his immediate vassals from that region, preferring them to the French in Achaia and the Italians in Thessalonica.

While I was thinking about these things, the walls of Thessalonica appeared at the end of the road. But as we got closer, we saw dead bodies, abandoned siege engines and lost weapons everywhere, the unmistakable signs of a recently fought battle.

"What has happened here?" I asked.

"Welcome to Greece, little brother," said Arnulf. "These look like Bulgarians. This must have been a raid where the attackers paid with their lives for their failure." It was clear that he has seen things like that before. Then looking at my pale face, he added. "It seems you just missed your first battle."

He wanted to cheer me up, but watching how the dogs of Greece sniff around the corpses made my stomach sick. I spurred my horse so that I would not see how they feast on the dead bodies. This was not the land of fortune, rather the land of pain. Despite the blue sky and the gentle breeze, I felt sad and alone, and wished to be back in Picardy many miles from there.

And this is all I can say about how the young Robert de Loup arrived to Frankish Greece to write the humble account of the realm which was born in blood, treachery and deceit.
    ~
    Last edited by Radzeer; March 25, 2012 at 10:03 PM.

Wahayyy!! This is finally out

Mesmerising prologue - I'm loving the sombre backdrop to the story. Here's to the start of a new classic
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Its finally begun! Great prologue to start what is sure to be a epic story! +rep
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Brilliant Prologue. I read your first one all the way through, I secretly hope you will loses, because I'm a die hard fan of the Romans, and have made my own empire. No one has made an AAR on the Latin empire yet, should be interesting. + rep
    Last edited by Gandalfus; April 01, 2012 at 04:03 PM.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Finally... Great Prologue there Radzeer, it's off to a brill start :
    I'll comment a bit more when I'm off my phone

Here it is, Radzeer's 3rd to-be masterpiece... and it's brilliant

It's a great start and the scene has been set very well (does that make sense)

Looking forward to more, and seeing what troubles our young protagonist will bound to get himself into

Good luck...
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; March 26, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

nine-o's Avatar Civis
    From the east coast of Canada, the best damn part of North America!

Latin Empire? Nice! Great start too man, you're still the king. I just wrapped up my aar, but you and others have inspired me to tackle a full-length tale now. Looking forward to reading this one!
    Please read my current AAR, The Tale of the North!

Also check out my previous AAR effort, The Russian Republic!

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

How did I miss the start of this?! Subbed (and I haven't even read the first chapter yet), so...no pressure!

Nice! A great start in one of my favorite regions! I know this is going to be great, so I can't wait to see how this goes on as time goes by!

Nice little corner of history seldom written about. I hope you can include some adventures of the mercenaries who often campaigned for the Latin nobility. Its before the time of the Great Companies but still some interesting stuff likely to be found if you wanted.

Great start, I've already immersed myself into the story. It's very nice to see a seldomly visited area of history (and of Europe - outside of Antiquity) being described and created in a somewhat new way. Good luck, and I'm really looking forward to read the new chapters!

Hi,

So here it is, the new novel.
    We have the place, the heroe, and the context...

Everything is ready for a good read, and as I know you prefer first person telling, you would surely enjoy this one a lot. (Even if you would probably side the bulgarians... ).

Anyway, great start. I'm eager to learn more about that area I don't know well.
    Go Radzeer.

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    Wahayyy!! This is finally out

Mesmerising prologue - I'm loving the sombre backdrop to the story. Here's to the start of a new classic
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    Its finally begun! Great prologue to start what is sure to be a epic story! +rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Gandalf View Post
    Brilliantly Prologue. I read your first one all the way through, I secretly hope you will loses, because I'm a die hard fan of the Romans, and have made my own empire. No one has made an AAR on the Latin empire yet, should be interesting. + rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot12 View Post
    Finally... Great Prologue there Radzeer, it's off to a brill start :
    I'll comment a bit more when I'm off my phone

Here it is, Radzeer's 3rd to-be masterpiece... and it's brilliant

It's a great start and the scene has been set very well (does that make sense)

Looking forward to more, and seeing what troubles our young protagonist will bound to get himself into

Good luck...
    Quote Originally Posted by nine-o View Post
    Latin Empire? Nice! Great start too man, you're still the king. I just wrapped up my aar, but you and others have inspired me to tackle a full-length tale now. Looking forward to reading this one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganbarenippon View Post
    How did I miss the start of this?! Subbed (and I haven't even read the first chapter yet), so...no pressure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thokran View Post
    Nice! A great start in one of my favorite regions! I know this is going to be great, so I can't wait to see how this goes on as time goes by!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    Nice little corner of history seldom written about. I hope you can include some adventures of the mercenaries who often campaigned for the Latin nobility. Its before the time of the Great Companies but still some interesting stuff likely to be found if you wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_boruta View Post
    Great start, I've already immersed myself into the story. It's very nice to see a seldomly visited area of history (and of Europe - outside of Antiquity) being described and created in a somewhat new way. Good luck, and I'm really looking forward to read the new chapters!
    Quote Originally Posted by la coupe est pleine View Post
    Hi,

So here it is, the new novel.
    We have the place, the heroe, and the context...

Everything is ready for a good read, and as I know you prefer first person telling, you would surely enjoy this one a lot. (Even if you would probably side the bulgarians... ).

Anyway, great start. I'm eager to learn more about that area I don't know well.
    Go Radzeer.
    Thank you everybody very much for the warm welcome and the encouraging words! I really need to do a good work to live up to the expectations. The next chapter is mostly written, I am working on the pictures. With some luck, it will be up around Monday/Tuesday.

Thank you again!

Good start Radzeer. An interesting and unusual pick. I should be following this, given my alias name.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [MT2W FKoC AAR] Times full of Distemper
    Reviewed by robinzx at the Critic's Quill, Issue 31
    Last edited by Geoffrey of Villehardouin; March 31, 2012 at 09:14 PM.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

I somehow missed the start of this! I'll be following this closely

Thats a rare faction to play, can't wait to see more

No update?

Just kidding. Take as long as you need.

Apologies everyone, work has unexpectedly intervened this week. But the good news is that the update will definitely come later today.
    Thank you for your patience!

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Oh well there's a conundrum then - wait for the second or not... nah, read the prologue. Excellent start. I may need to dust my MTW2 DVD off...

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Superb,thatīs all to say.

Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast