Thread: great campaign, but Athens!!!

kommandant's Avatar Civis

Default great campaign, but Athens!!!

i downloaded this mod about 5 days ago and i have to say its my favorite RTW mod by far, replacing
    Roma Surrectum on my list

ok, now to the point, for my first and current campaign i started as Sparta, always wanted to do that

so far i've managed, or for the better word of it, forced to take over most of southern Greece
    Elis and Messene being the first in order to establish a good amount of trade and wealth so that
    i could defend myself against the other Greek City States

after several years of building my infrastructure and military, Corinth declares war on me and besieges
    Sparta, eventually i manage to push them out of my lands and into their own, starting my offensive
    i besieged Argos and after several tries of attempting to be diplomatic with Corinth, i am forced to take
    Argos from them. Several turns after the fall of Argos, Athens declares war on my and has their navy
    cause havoc on my coastlines, they succesfully do so for about 6 years before i manage to build a naval
    force strong enough to push them out and go on the offensive both on land and sea

while the war on the seas raged on, Corinth was stubborn and attempted on multiple occassions to
    take Argos back but failed every time, after most of Corinth's military force is wiped out Corinth itself
    falls after which they sue for peace and leaving them with only Thebes as their providence and weak,
    no longer a threat to Sparta and at the same time several of the Spartan allied armies(my none
    Spartan armies)fight off several land invasions from Athens long enough for my Spartan army to recover
    and march again to take the fight to the walls of Athens and force them to agree to a ceasefire

ok here is where the problem lies for me, i managed to take everything from Athens, except for
    their capital, their navy destroyed(but keeps appearing in great numbers after several turns), ports
    blockaded, their armies completely destroyed, and their city surrounded by a Spartan army and two
    allied armies and yet they dont accept a ceasefire i dont want to destroy Athens as a faction and
    ive done everything i can think of to make them agree to it, i've offered them tons of money, offered
    them their two other island regions back, etc and yet they dont agree to it

is there something i'm missing here why wont they accept my terms???? its not like they arent fair
    by any means, can someone please help me out here

on another positive note, Rome has conquered all of Italy and Persia looks right for the picking, Persian
    coastlines i have three words for you :sparta:

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: great campaign, but Athens!!!

Well man, you must know that RTW's AI are old style and they are something like "attack all your neighbours". Also, alliances don't last if you are a neighbour-ussually you get stronger than your ally and your common enemy and your ally turns against you(after there is nothing left to conquer, go for your old friends' territories). At least, this is all that happens to my while I am playing RTW (and in Medieval II happened aswell). I am downloading the mod now. After i will finish a campaign I will get back on you with opinions. Until that, the refusal of Athens to surrender is a common thing in RTW, so is not the modding team's fault.

Petroniu,

im not saying its the modding teams fault, im just asking for help from any one that plays this mod
    to help me out with this little problem of mine

next time i play im going to give Corinth back to Corinth just to see what happens next

Agisilaos's Avatar GREECE - ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

only by using force diplomacy the AI will accept your offer friend. i do not use it because i prefer to stop attacking the last remaining city of my enemy and i even protect it if i want it to remain in the game. i would suggest you to stop the besiege and unblock the athenian port. that way it will have more income to start recruiting army and navy again
    we are always happy to see that many people enjoy the mod like we did when we played/beta tested it we would like your screenshots if that is not hard for you.
    Macedones were, are and will always be Greeks
    Under the Noble Patronage of jimkatalanos and proud patron of Agis Tournas and cocobongoclub-DJ
    Terrae Expugnandae, Imperial Might, Mythology, Complete Byzantine Roster, Ruins of glory, Sparta 3, Hegemonia City States, Roma Surrectum 2,300 Warlords of Sparta, Sparta 3.5, Classical Age Total War
    watch this
    , this and this
    Τακτική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις αν υπάρχει κάτι που μπορείς να κάνεις.
    Στρατηγική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις όταν δεν υπάρχει τίποτα να κάνεις.

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

Oh, ok. Well, as Agisilaos said, you can use the force diplomacy to convince the AI. I started with Athens and in the fourth turn Corinth attacked me by besieging Athens. What a long alliance! Hehe. I would have love to see that all these allies send troops to attack the Persians, but it is a game afterall, so now I am in a war with Corinth.

Quote Originally Posted by Agisilaos View Post
    only by using force diplomacy the AI will accept your offer friend. i do not use it because i prefer to stop attacking the last remaining city of my enemy and i even protect it if i want it to remain in the game. i would suggest you to stop the besiege and unblock the athenian port. that way it will have more income to start recruiting army and navy again
    we are always happy to see that many people enjoy the mod like we did when we played/beta tested it we would like your screenshots if that is not hard for you.
    ill post some pictures later if not tomorrow, i just have to remember my photobucket login

this picture shows the expansion of Sparta and its allies in Persia, the two stacks of Persian Forces are the first serious threats that
    Sparta has yet to encounter on mainland Persia. The army highlighted is one of my three Spartan Armies, 1 is composed of Spartiates and the
    other 2 are composed of the hypo-cant remember how to spell it, like the one highilighted on this picture
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

this is how mainland greece has turned out to be, and as you can see by the world map picture on the bottom some of the nations have
    been destroyed, Gaul, Estrucan, Aetolian(spelling???), Athens(they pissed me off), Dacia. Epirus is next on Rome's list

The island of Cyprus as you can see is about to fall to a Spartan allied army

This is one of Spartas allies in a fort after capturing Pergumum, like i said on the first post of this thread, my none Spartan armies

hopefully later ill write a little AAR
    Last edited by Agisilaos; January 05, 2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: double post

Agisilaos's Avatar GREECE - ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

nice images if you want to make your campaign even harder try to make some rules of your own. for example have in each army of yours for example maximum 2, 3 or 4 spartan elite units and the rest lower to have hard times, cause if you start battles with mostly elite units it will be quite easy i think.
    Macedones were, are and will always be Greeks
    Under the Noble Patronage of jimkatalanos and proud patron of Agis Tournas and cocobongoclub-DJ
    Terrae Expugnandae, Imperial Might, Mythology, Complete Byzantine Roster, Ruins of glory, Sparta 3, Hegemonia City States, Roma Surrectum 2,300 Warlords of Sparta, Sparta 3.5, Classical Age Total War
    watch this
    , this and this
    Τακτική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις αν υπάρχει κάτι που μπορείς να κάνεις.
    Στρατηγική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις όταν δεν υπάρχει τίποτα να κάνεις.

kommandant

I always want to leave Athens existing too, what I done was give them their island back then took Athens, that way they have to make naval invasions [which they don’t do as often] rather than pestering me all the time.

To further hamper them you can then blockade their port and destroy their navy.

After a while once you have most of Greece they will think you are too powerful to attack [sometimes] and will stop invading you.

Yea it’s a shame there isn’t much we can do with the ai, I am mainly an artist, my coding skills are very limited.

Sounds like you are having fun anyway.

Nice screens too! I noticed you have greek hoplite elites, with a vanilla unit card. I thought I had removed them from the Spartan roster, so attached to this file is an EDB that will stop them being built if you want to use it.

-----

I would have love to see that all these allies send troops to attack the Persians
    Yea I really wanted that too.

-----

if you want to make your campaign even harder try to make some rules of your own. for example have in each army of yours for example maximum 2, 3 or 4 spartan elite units and the rest lower to have hard times, cause if you start battles with mostly elite units it will be quite easy i think.
    Also a good idea to take your time once you got half of Greece, so the other factions will get their later builds [makedon, romans and Persians]. The later romans especially, will present you with more of a challenge. Beside you want to fight all those hi res new units don’t you!
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Personally I think the spartiates should take longer to train/build, I couldn’t make the changes in the mod as the ai just wont build them if you play as another faction.

I would recommend making them take 6 years to build, and use the files from the release thread, to remove the kings guard so they cannot be built.

remember, spartans want the greater victory, not just to win
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Whaddup with the big brown mega-force in the north ?

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    Yea it’s a shame there isn’t much we can do with the ai, I am mainly an artist, my coding skills are very limited.
    maybe u can use a "blind alliances" option as in the lotr-tw.. and also if u didn't, u can use "ai_do_not_attack_faction" script (doesnt work for the player)... and.. force diplomacy would be useful, too (i dont remember if it is included in the game)..

and i have a different suggestion, maybe u can make an additional campaign for players take sparta as well.. u can add argos to the game.. making argos and corinth "ai_do_not_attack_faction" so that argos will survive unless u destroy it.. making blind alliances between greeks, or making some of them ai_do_not_attack, so that each faction will have only one enemy and all of them will remain longer.. and u can make mountain between sparta and achea.. so that player will invade messenia as the spartan natural border, and will be no more neighbour with corinth.. fighting only vs. weak argos (have one or two lands) and so u won't have to send huge armies to greece when attacking to persia.. and u will remain allied to athens we can make different and more improved variations of this..
    arise! arise riders of theoden!

As far as I know the "ai_do_not_attack_faction" script is for alex tw. I think the force diplomacy is a console cheat, so you could use that.

As I say I don’t know how to do all that stuff and I am busy working on mythology_tw at the moment.

Your ideas are good though! If we get a coder come along who can do it, then that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    As far as I know the "ai_do_not_attack_faction" script is for alex tw. I think the force diplomacy is a console cheat, so you could use that.

As I say I don’t know how to do all that stuff and I am busy working on mythology_tw at the moment.

Your ideas are good though! If we get a coder come along who can do it, then that would be great.

well, i would produce more ideas if u get a coder in some mods, force diplomacy is used so: when u open a negotiation, u click on the question mark on top corner, and push "show me how", then offer it, and the ai accepts... and yes, ai_do_not_attack_faction doesnt work in BI .. so that blind alliances should be impossible on BI, too..
    arise! arise riders of theoden!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Blackadder View Post
    Whaddup with the big brown mega-force in the north ?
    nothing, as long as they stay there
    today im going to play a little after work and hopefully ill have pics and some sort of story along with it