Thread: Full install for Sicilian Vespers 3.3, hotfix 2, steam compatible

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Full install for Sicilian Vespers 3.3, hotfix 2, steam compatible

IntroductionSome time ago it came to my notice that the installers for this mod place their files in some 'weird' directories which is prone to errors. As I was also not sure if the mod's launcher app was using the kingdoms.exe I added an automated copying and renaming of the medieval2 executable.

File alterations were done only for bug hunting purposes. All 'rights' are with the original author(s).

InstallationThis is one of my 'click through' installations, some instructions follow underneath:

· As long as your registry is fine the installer will find the correct installation path. If not, simply follow the instruction displayed in the installer.
    · At the end of the installation a file verification will take place, allow it to finish, check for error messages (see picture in spoiler), close it and finalize the installation.
    · Also at the end will be a check if the kingdoms executable is present. If the file is absent then a renamed copy of the medieval2 executable will be created - the same principle as in my Steam Mod Fixer. The small BAT file will exit with one the these three messages:

wrong path
    - it means that Sicilian Vespers is not in the correct directory. This can only happen if the installation path was manually changed
    success - the kingdoms executable has been created, the default for Steam users who do not use the Steam Mod Fix method
    not needed - the default for disk users and Steam users you use the Steam Mod Fix method

· Steam users
    : no need to do anything extra - simply start the mod with it's desktop shortcuts once you have run the installer.

Spoiler for verification picture

Changes to original Installation4th September 2023
    - includes 3.0, 3.3 and Hotfix 2
    - file verification after installation
    - all small caps for easy MAC use
    - automated Steam Mod Fix
    Download
    Mediafire
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 04, 2023 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Download Link

Default Re: Full install for Sicilian Vespers 3.3, hotfix 2, steam compatible

Thank you for the link. It succesfuly installed the game.

Blog Entries

Thanks for confirming, appreciated.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Stickied.

Thanks a lot, Gigantus!
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Blog Entries

Sana Kan's Avatar Libertus

Hey Gigantus, the installer works flawlessly and the game loads perfectly. Thank you so much for this!
    But anyway... I'm having some very low fps on the campaign map, lower than 20. Is this only me? Or should I tweak the graphics settings around? I tried to lower everything and it still doesn't help - and the performance on battles are completely fine with maxxed settings.
    Thanks for all your work!

Blog Entries

Give this a shot if you use Nvidia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eFnUQFFcXo

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Give this a shot if you use Nvidia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eFnUQFFcXo
    Thanks for the tip Gigantus! Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Maybe it's something on my end. I'll figure it out

Blog Entries

There is also this, apply it to the executable files, it allows the game to utilize more memory.

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sana Kan View Post
    Hey Gigantus, the installer works flawlessly and the game loads perfectly. Thank you so much for this!
    But anyway... I'm having some very low fps on the campaign map, lower than 20. Is this only me? Or should I tweak the graphics settings around? I tried to lower everything and it still doesn't help - and the performance on battles are completely fine with maxxed settings.
    Thanks for all your work!
    I came here because I'm having what is probably the same issue as Sana Kan. It's not so much an FPS issue as it is just that everything on the campaign map takes an incredibly long time to respond -- especially when skipping animations for moving armies and agents around the map. The hour glass on the cursor spins and spins and spins and for a few seconds nothing happens. I'm only noticing this with this mod in particular and none of the many others that I have currently installed. As above, I'm also only seeing it on the campaign map, the battlefield map appears unaffected. I tried the two suggestions given in response to Sana Kan and neither was effective.

This was one of the first mods I ever played for Medieval 2 and I did not have this issue when playing the original version of the mod back in ~2010. That's not a dig at your work at all, Gig; you've done some incredible stuff with porting all of these older mods to more steam-friendly installers. Just speculating that, even though the two solutions above did not work, maybe it still has something to do with playing on modern hardware?
    Last edited by Dan the Man; January 27, 2024 at 09:46 PM.
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

Hello everyone! And thank you, Gigantus for your work on the installer! The low FPS are easily solvable: in the configuration file provided with the installer (sicilianvespers.cfg), the detailed logging is enabled by default. This makes the game slower, especially in campaign. To disable it, you should open that file with a text editor (the default Windows Wordpad, e.g.) and change the instructions like in the following example: [log] to = system.log.txt # path and name of log #level = * trace # detailed log #level = * error # basic log

Sorry, formatting has been messed up, in my first reply... You need to comment the level=*trace line adding a # at the beginning.

Blog Entries

That helps with frame rate? Sure you don't mean end turn processing?

Note: if you ever use compatibility mode and set any window version (XP, Win7 etc) then you will get a longer processing time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    That helps with frame rate? Sure you don't mean end turn processing?

Note: if you ever use compatibility mode and set any window version (XP, Win7 etc) then you will get a longer processing time.
    Yes, the mod/game runs more smoothly, especially on campaign map. End turn is faster too.
    Due to the background script Chivalry 2 has, and that needs to be tracked in the log, perhaps? I'm not sure My Med2 expertise is very limited (I'm more a RTW modder).

Quote Originally Posted by EzeckLupo View Post
    Yes, the mod/game runs more smoothly, especially on campaign map. End turn is faster too.
    Due to the background script Chivalry 2 has, and that needs to be tracked in the log, perhaps? I'm not sure My Med2 expertise is very limited (I'm more a RTW modder).
    THANKS a lot ExeckLupo! Your tweak worked! rep