Thread: Wasn't the City/Town Victory Point only for morale purposes?

Default Wasn't the City/Town Victory Point only for morale purposes?

I thought this was a stupid addition in Shogun 2, but at least these are always located in the uppermost area of the castle...

When the Victory Point area was changed from granting an automatic settlement capture, after a clock countdown, to merely a morale boost, I was happy. No longer would I have to waist troops and deployables in an indefensible area, like on a beach. Hovering the mouse over the capture point, it says:

The Faction who controls this Capture Point will receive a morale bonus for any units within the area of control
    Outnumbered and defending Massilia, with a stack a turn away, I positioned everyone in the "upper citadel" and placed all the deployables in front of a choke point. To my surprise I got a message, "The enemy is about to capture the fort" and a clock countdown from 10.

It's been several years since this change occurred, so why the 360? Are you lot responsible for this or was it CA? Is there a mod to or a way to alter it again?

Default Re: Wasn't the City/Town Victory Point only for morale purposes?

I think it only applies to province capitals, so if that had happened in Narbo, for example, it would have just applied the morale penalty, but since it happened in Massalia you actually had to defend the capture point.

Yeap, major settlements (walled province capitals) VPs are to be protected.
    Minor settlements VPs are to be ignored.

Good to know about VPs being ignorable for minor settlements, but why and when was it changed back for walled towns - The description is still the same? How does this work with provincial capitals with 2 VPs? Upgrading Massilia to level 3, one capture point is in the "citadel area" and the other is still in the "marketplace," so would I have to defend both?

Having the VP mechanics for walled cities is a must I think since without it the battle does not revolve any longer around capturing the city. You can play on and on withrdawing to city and outisde and back if its not applied, flee to the sea and wait and this would totally break the game. In mpc it would be hell to play if all means would be allowed to win if there was no VP

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Even if you would take out VP, AI would still think it is there and it would try to capture it.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Yeah, I found this out the hard way, I had set up a perfect last stand, and suddenly got the message that I lost right at the moment that I felt I was going to make it after all :p. But I do agree that it's prefereable to keep it in, since the AI does not know the difference and would otherwise just camp on the VP, whilst a player could just camp away until the timer runs out.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

I just wish their positions could be modded. It's ridiculous to have to defend this open point in the middle of the city, when you would obviously make stands at more defensive positions, which all the cities have but are largely pointless being too far away from anything that matters as far as this mechanic is concerned. Is there any way to move/define these areas for ourselves?

Seing as strategic maps are unmoddable, I don't think so.

https://ibb.co/GMLPCQv https://ibb.co/fqxCWdH no fix ?there are no mods, such as off. the timer or removing the check points.

why then have half of the cities, impregnable 2nd ring walls, if the point in the market. And hide no sense at the top of the castle, still have the market all to put. Is there no way?
    Last edited by GyJIeBeP; April 20, 2019 at 09:07 AM.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

For years people said there was no way to make custom cities in M2TW and then all the sudden we got the Shire, Rivendell, Mordor, even an underground Moria. So hopefully one day a hero will emerge who can make just minor changes to the existing cities. This team already found ways around supposedly unfixable problems

Would it be possible to temporarily increase the amount of victory points needed though?

This is strange. In my experience of capturing walled cities (provincial capitals) defended by AI, countdown starts only after I capture ALL victory points. Or is it after I capture 2 out of 3? After countdown starts, AI usually rushes out to re-capture nearest capture point.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    For years people said there was no way to make custom cities in M2TW and then all the sudden we got the Shire, Rivendell, Mordor, even an underground Moria. So hopefully one day a hero will emerge who can make just minor changes to the existing cities. This team already found ways around supposedly unfixable problems
    It's a bit different with Rome 2. Our hands are really locked without proper modding tools.

Quote Originally Posted by DC0 View Post
    This is strange. In my experience of capturing walled cities (provincial capitals) defended by AI, countdown starts only after I capture ALL victory points. Or is it after I capture 2 out of 3? After countdown starts, AI usually rushes out to re-capture nearest capture point.
    I correct myself after paying attention to capture points. Only central capture point, usually located in a Keep (walled castle within outer walls), starts countdown.