Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated April 3, 2021]

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated May 19, 2019]

Thanks, everyone! Welsh Dragon, good luck with weaving together your new campaign and your existing AAR. For me, it can be fun to think of reasons why things changed from one campaign to the next.

Cookiegod, you've identified the reasons for using short updates in this AAR.

Kilo11 and Turk, Rome actually rebelled, the Lusitani and Kush 'rebellions' are - as you suspected - my way of explaining why these factions still exist on my new campaign. The Passaris plot-line isn't necessarily gone. In the new campaign, I haven't yet sent a general to found a Carthaginian colony on the Black Sea. I plan to do so - this might not succeed.

Now, the story moves on, it's time to see (part) of the map for the new campaign and to meet some of Carthage's next generation of commanders ...

Chapter 29
    The Rebellion Crisis
    by Astarte, daughter of Admago

When Mascarada took command in Iberia, Carthage’s military history was one of a struggle to survive. The warriors of Greek cities could look back with pride to the achievements of their ancestors, the defiance of a huge army at Thermopylae and the triumphs at Marathon and Salamis. But, in Iberia, two of Carthage’s finest armies had been annihilated. Mascarada’s victories and these successes gave his soldiers hope and rebuilt their confidence.

When Admago became Shophet of Carthage, he faced rebellions by Rome, Kush and the Lusitani. He also inherited armies whose men were hardy survivors of the war with the Triple Alliance. Officers reminded their soldiers of the victories in Carthage’s wars in Iberia, southern Gaul and Italia. The command of these armies became prizes for Carthage’s most powerful and successful generals.

Pistu, head of the powerful alliance of Landowners in the Council of a Hundred and Four and a vigorous man despite his greying hair, took command of a veteran army, The Heirs of Phoenicia. He crossed the sea to Karalis and defeated the Roman rebellion, forcing Rome’s exiled Senate to make new vows of allegiance to Carthage.

The sober, reliable Saraca, heir of the wealthy Mangonid family, received the command of another veteran army, The Sacred Company. He recaptured the fertile Nile valley from Kush, lands he knew well because the Mangonid family estates were in that province.

A third veteran army, the Walls of Byrsa, guarded southern Iberia. This was the most prestigious command of all, as it had previously been held by Mascarada himself. Now, its general was Sanais, son of Pistu. Sanais was a studious commander, he was well aware of the history of Carthaginian defeats in Iberia. He maintained a defensive position, holding off Lusitani raiders. But there was no veteran army to defend Carthaginian lands in northern Iberia. Carthage’s armies were strong, but were stretched thinly. As Admago said, “One rebellion is a concern, two are a challenge, three are a crisis.”

At Numantia in Iberia, Admago founded a new army, The Defenders of Iberia. The Libyan spearmen and swordsmen and the Carthaginian and Iberian horsemen were brave but lacked experience. This small army had no traditions of its own to inspire the soldiers. An experienced general could have made up for this, but Carthage’s experienced generals were committed elsewhere.

Anyone leading a small force of soldiers into Lusitani territory was taking a dangerous risk. Admago demonstrated the kind of Shophet he wanted to be by commanding of the Defenders of Iberia himself. Perhaps he felt compelled to follow the example of his predecessor, Mascarada, who had responded to a crisis by leading an army in Iberia?

Formerly, Carthage’s armies had relied on infantry armed with the spear, the sword and the javelin. Cavalry were for scattering enemy skirmishers. Admago employed swift Iberian horsemen, intending to strike suddenly against the flanks and rear of Lusitani forces. He hoped that this would be enough.

Last edited by Alwyn; June 01, 2019 at 10:51 AM.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated May 19, 2019]

Rome is subdued and Kush returned under Carthaginian control without too much trouble it seems. I doubt the Lusitani problem will be fixed so easily. Carthage has a history of struggling in the Iberian Peninsula. Can they pull another Mascarada and end the conflict in a quick fashion or will it result in a long protracted war? Admago does seem to have learned from Mascarada's exploits or perhaps just wants to receive the same glory? It would solidify his rule as Shophet if he succeeds. Interested to see where this goes!

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated June 1, 2019]

I like the idea of using rebellions to have the factions still 'exist'! Turk seems to have summed up my feelings nicely, though I think a long protracted war would be a better thing for the AAR. I do think Mascarada's influence will weigh heavily on his mind (and yours as well Alwyn )

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Thanks, Turkafinwë and Swaeft! We'll see whether Carthage managed to pull a Mascarada-style quick victory and whether Admago's rule will be solidified as a result...

Chapter 30
    The Friend of our Enemies
    By Astarte, daughter of Admago

At Aracillum in northern Iberia, Admago’s new army, the Defenders of Iberia, were tested in battle for the first time. Admago sent his small force of Libyan spearman and swordsmen across an open plain, in full view of the Lusitani guards watching from the town. The Lusitani rebels in the town ran to attack Admago’s infantry on the town’s southern edge. Admago and his Iberian and Carthaginian horsemen approached the town from the east. They swept in swiftly to break the enemy line, like a sparrowhawk diving to seize its prey.

After subduing the rebels in Aracillum, Admago received a messenger from Sanais, a general and the new leader of the alliance of Landowners in the Council which ruled Carthage. Sanais had reclaimed the city of Ebora from the rebels. Both Carthaginian armies continued westwards. Admago and Sanais were determined to leave the Lusitani without a stronghold in Iberia. At the last Lusitani city in Iberia, the port of Brigantium, Admago’s army met fierce resistance. Admago’s infantry suffered heavy losses fighting brave warriors who stood firm despite the shock of charges from his cavalry. Because of these losses, it was Sanais who led the march into Lusitani-held territory in Gaul. Some among the nobles of Carthago (as the city of Carthage is often called) said that it was Sanais, not Admago, who had saved Carthage’s colonies in Iberia from ruin.

The armies of Carthage had been stretched thinly by the rebellions of Rome, Kush and the Lusitani. When the Lusitani in southern Gaul attacked the Carthaginian border town of Tolosa, our garrison were slaughtered. The Lusitani ravaged the defenceless town, reducing villas to ruins and olive groves to wasteland. Some in Carthago blamed Admago, saying that this wouldn’t have been allowed if Sanais has been Shophet in his place.

Despite the destruction of Tolosa, Admago was merciful in victory. He allowed the king of the Lusitani to live and to preserve a remnant of his kingdom at Nemossos in Gaul. This Lusitani kingdom would be a client state of Carthage, like Rome. Some in Carthago shook their heads at Admago’s decision. They whispered that Admago’s mercy was a sign of weakness.

When Admago sent emissaries to the Seleucids, one of the Triple Alliance powers, with assurances of peaceful intentions and offering trade, some in Carthago were suspicious: why was he befriending Carthage’s traditional enemies? When Admago began to recruit levy soldiers from the Lusitani to replace the Iberian mercenaries who had been lost in his campaign, some in Carthago said that Admago couldn’t be trusted.

The rebellion crisis was over. Apart from occasional raids by Germanic tribes, Carthage’s borders became peaceful. Admago refused to respond directly to those spreading rumours about him. He rewarded Sanais and other Landowner generals with promotions and with estates in Iberia and Gaul. In Carthage’s Council, the power of the Landowners grew.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated June 15, 2019]

Yay! A new update! Two actually, because I somehow missed the previous one.

I like your approach, but though it is a bit soft.
    Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Content Emeritus

A swift resolution to the Lusitani problem, yet more troubling clouds assemble above Carthage. Some dubious decisions made by Admago and some well-placed propaganda fed by the new Landowners action no doubt. A worrying future should the Carthaginians start fighting amongst themselves.

I agree with Cookiegod and to quote a book I love well.
    "Mercy and weakness are the same." - Best Served Cold

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Do let me start off by saying that is a lovely screenshot I do think this landowners council thing will grow to become a bigger problem in future, but I might be wrong! Carthage looks to be in quite good shape for now, but I know that probably won't last Gameplay wise, (and this is not a critique) I never did like client states, though it is more practical in the real world, in game if you could take all of the land's income I would have done that rather then let them run the territory however they saw fit.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Thanks for your comments! Yes, the Landowner propoganda is quite effective (as we're about to see) and mercy can look like weakness. Turk, it's interesting that you don't like client states. I can see where you might be 'coming from' (it's better to control territory yourself than to have a client state which might rebel.) On the other hand, a client state can recruit more units from one region than I could add by holding that region. A client state can be a trading partner when they're becoming rare. Best of all, in this game I can march an army into their territory and recruit levy units (levies are cheaper than mercenaries and often more effective.) Meanwhile, here's what happened next...

Chapter 31
    The Conjoined Republic
    by Nape, son of Sanais

“Of all kinds of fear the most impotent and helpless is superstitious fear. No fear of the sea has he who does not sail upon it, nor of war he who does not serve in the army, nor of highwaymen he who stays at home, nor of a blackmailer he who is poor, nor of envy he who holds no office, nor of earthquake he who is in Gaul, nor of the lightning-stroke he who is in Ethiopia; but he who fears the gods fears all things, earth and sea, air and sky, darkness and light, sound and silence, and a dream.”
    Sanais, On Admago (*)

When the Lusitani attacked Carthage’s border town of Tolosa, they destroyed a peaceful place which was no threat to anyone. They massacred the inhabitants and burned their homes. Admago, Shophet of Carthage, waited in safety in Iberia while Sanais marched into danger in Gaul. While Admago did nothing, Sanais fought for the fallen of Tolosa.

After the victories of Sanais, the Lusitani were at the mercy of Carthage’s armies. Carthage could have removed this threat permanently. The children of the Lusitani could have been brought up properly as Carthaginians, we could have made them forget their tribal ways. Despite the wise advice of Sanais to end the threat of the Lusitani, Admago allowed our enemies to preserve their abhorrent culture in the town of Nemossos in Gaul.

Admago was an inexperienced leader and one mistake might have been excused. But, having failed to end the threat of the Lusitani, he sent emissaries to Athens, Macedon and the Seleucids, the Triple Alliance of our traditional enemies. More and more generals of Carthage looked to Sanais, not Admago, for leadership. Sanais told them that he could not understand why Admago was betraying Carthage by befriending her enemies. One general speculated that Admago was in love with the daughter of the king of the Lusitani. Another general suggested that Admago was under the influence of Lusitani priests, who had convinced Admago that their gods would make him suffer unless her allowed the Lusitani kingdom to survive. Sanais realised that Admago was not thinking as a Shophet should, if his actions were driven by love for an enemy or superstitious fear.

There were several portents of change and suffering in this time. One was a two-headed calf, born in Qart Hadasht (New Town), the port which served as the capital of Iberia under Carthaginian rule. This animal had two heads but one heart. A priest serving in the port’s chief temple said that this calf represented the state of our republic. The calf died soon after being born, and the priest explained that our republic could not survive for long with two leaders. We would have to choose between Admago and Sanais. For many of Carthage’s generals and governors in Iberia, Gaul, Raetia, Noricum and Pannonia, the choice was clear.

Author’s Note

(*) This is actually Plutarch, On Superstition.
    Last edited by Alwyn; June 30, 2019 at 07:08 AM.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated June 30, 2019]

So, it seems Civil War (or at least a Secession,) has come to the people of New Town.

You look to have an interesting division of territory, with Carthage and Italy remaining loyal, but many of your holdings elsewhere joining Sanais' forces. Also a very effective use of a biased narrator, as Nape son of Sanais' account definitely seems to favour his father. I cannot help but wonder how those loyal to Admago see these events and their leader's decision? And I think it's very clever to take a historical source, such as your Plutarch quote, and present it in a different fashion to reflect the way events have unfolded in this history.

Looking forward to seeing where you take this next. There is nothing so uncivil as a civil war...

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

I agree with everything Welsh Dragon said (especially the wisdom "There is nothing so uncivil as a civil war"). And I guess I would add to it that you seem to be cursed to live in interesting times Alwyn. My condolences. At any rate, I'll be watching closely to see what comes of all of this.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Content Emeritus

Likewise, I too agree with everything Welsh Dragon has said and would not be able to convey the message better. I too am very interested if we'll ever see the perspective from Admago's supporters to the events.

Citizen

Great update Alwyn! Unfortunately I've repped you not long ago, so I can't do it now. I like your creative use of Plutarch.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I can see where you might be 'coming from' (it's better to control territory yourself than to have a client state which might rebel.) On the other hand, a client state can recruit more units from one region than I could add by holding that region. A client state can be a trading partner when they're becoming rare. Best of all, in this game I can march an army into their territory and recruit levy units (levies are cheaper than mercenaries and often more effective.)

Ahh, I haven't played much Rome 2, I'm afraid, and was unaware of that feature. It's all good then, like your update! There are always two sides to a story, and I wonder when we'll get to see the other half...great analysis by Welsh Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
    So, it seems Civil War (or at least a Secession,) has come to the people of New Town.
    Thanks, yes it's a Civil War. My politics screen showed a risk of 'civil war' beforehand, a cutscene announced a civil war and I got the Die is Cast achievement. Two rival parties broke away. Previously, I believed that the difference is that a secession happens when one party breaks away and a civil war occurs when two or more parties do this. However, as an experiment - out of curiosity, not for the AAR - I re-played the same turns and ensured that only one party broke away - this was still a civil war. Perhaps it's a civil war when a certain percentage of your lands (or more) break away?

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    I guess I would add to it that you seem to be cursed to live in interesting times Alwyn.
    Thanks - yes these are interesting times, this is my first civil war and I'm enjoying it so far!

I like your creative use of Plutarch.
    Thanks, hopefully you'll like the next chapter too!

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    There are always two sides to a story, and I wonder when we'll get to see the other half...great analysis by Welsh Dragon!
    Thanks, yes Welsh Dragon's analysis is spot on. Welsh Dragon is right that Nape is biased - of course, Nape would say that Astarte is biased! We're about to see how those loyal to Admago saw the same events...

Chapter 32: The Council

“[Carthage’s] constitution being oligarchical they best escape the dangers by being wealthy, as they constantly send out a portion of the common people to appointments in the cities; by this means they heal the social sore and make the constitution stable. However, this is the achievement of fortune, whereas freedom from civil strife ought to be secured by the lawgiver; but as it is, suppose some misfortune occurs and the multitude of the subject class revolts, there is no remedy provided by the laws to restore tranquillity.”
    Aristotle, Politics

Negotiations between the ruling Barcid family and the alliance of Landowners dragged on through winter and into spring, while rumours were scratched onto the walls in Carthago’s streets. No matter what the Barcids offered, the Landowners demanded more. The Landowners had consolidated their power in Iberia and Gaul, they were almost independent rulers. The Landowners had become wealthy, yet still they were not satisfied.

“If only Admago was here,” cried one member of the Council. “He would have settled this dispute.” Some members wrote to him, urging him to return to Carthage’s capital. Desperate people should not be blamed for clinging to fragile hope. When Admago remained in Gaul, many nobles in Carthago became anxious. His predecessor, Mascarada, had often remained on our frontiers, but he had served as Shophet in times of war. Under Admago, Carthage finally knew peace. Unfortunately, the peace on our borders was contrasted with the turmoil in our capital.

Even some Council members who had been loyal to Admago listened to rumours that his mind had been corrupted by Lusitani priests or his heart won by a Lusitani princess. Barcid family members tried to make the wavering Council members see reason. “Think of our history,” one Barcid said. “The Iberians were our fiercest foes, our greatest general could only defeat them with Iberian mercenaries. Everyone knows that only Iberians can conquer Iberia! If Admago can turn our fiercest enemies into friends, he could prevent another uprising. When Iberians, Libyans and Carthaginians fight alongside each other, we’ll be secure.” But anxious people, whose minds have been filled by poisonous rumours, don’t listen to reason.

A new rumour arrived, travelling merchants claimed that our port of Myos Hormos in Egypt had been attacked. We weren’t worried, believing that Sabean raiders were responsible and knowing that one of Carthage’s finest armies, the Sacred Company, was in the province. Saraca, commander of the Sacred Company, was the heir of the powerful Mangonid family who had lands in southern Iberia.

Then we heard news which we struggled to believe, at first. A messenger from Alexandria reported that the Sacred Company were responsible for the attack and they were marching north. The other army in the province, the Defenders of Egypt, remained loyal but lacked experience. When a Council member proposed that Saraca be ordered to Carthago to explain himself, the Landowners and Mangonids voted against, before walking out of the Council.

Last edited by Alwyn; July 12, 2019 at 09:16 AM.

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated July 12, 2019]

Well, that doesn't bode well. All I can say is "Best of luck!"
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Citizen

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated July 12, 2019]

Ouch. Good luck indeed. What's the difference between a secession and a civil war? By the way, did you give up on that army on purpose for story reasons? Because you could've replaced the general basically the round before. Either way: Well done!

Content Emeritus

This civil war really looks like it's going to be a difficult one. Best of luck!

Thanks, Kilo11, Cookiegod and Turkafinwë, yes this civil war will be challenging and I'll need that luck!

A secession happens when one rival party (or possibly a rival party controlling a small area) breaks away. A civil war happens when two or more rival parties (or possibly a rival party controlling a large area) breaks away. There are some differences in the mechanics, for example in a secession the player is protected from further secessions for a fixed number of turns, in a civil war the player is protected until the war ends. This is my first civil war in Rome II, so there may be other differences which I haven't found yet.

Yes, I could have assigned a loyal general to the Sacred Company just before the civil war. You're right, this was partly because it's a better story. When a civil war happens, if the player has prevented the enemy faction from having a fair share of armies, new armies spawn (including elite units), which would produce a similar outcome anyway. Also, I'm enjoying the challenge of taking on some of Carthage's best armies (with veteran units and military traditions) with new recruits.

Chapter 33
    Two Heads, One Heart
    By Nape, so of Sanais

Strong nations prosper and weak nations fail, as history shows us. The strength of Carthage prevailed against Egypt, Rome and the fierce Iberian tribes. The weakness of Admago led Sanais to break away from Admago’s rule, to establish an independent Carthaganian republic in Iberia, Gaul and our lands north of Italia. The outbreak of civil war in Carthage was like the birth of a calf with two heads and one heart. The two heads represented the two rival leaders, Admago and Sanais, and we should understand what the heart represents.

Sanais sent three armies to destroy Admago’s remnant of Carthage. The first army, in Gaul, marched east, seizing Genua, Velathri and Ariminum on its way to Rome. The second army marched along the long road from Iol to Carthago. The third army was in Egypt. Admago’s Carthage depended on grain from the Nile valley, victory here could end the civil war quickly. Sanais had used his wealth wisely, giving estates in Iberia to the Mangonid family. This earned the loyalty of Saraca, heir of the Mangonids and commander of the Sacred Company in Egypt, one of Carthage’s finest armies.

The Sacred Company easily defeated the militia in Diospolis in southern Egypt and the Red Sea port of Myos Hormos. They marched north on the road to Alexandria. Our spies intercepted a messenger carrying a desperate plea for reinforcements from Alexandria’s governor. Only one army, the Defenders of Egypt, stood between Saraca’s Sacred Company and their goals of Alexandria and control of Carthage’s grain supply. While the Sacred Company marched with the confidence of a long military tradition, the Defenders of Egypt were recruited recently.

One of Saraca’s spies reported a curious piece of information. Garafin, the general of the Defenders of Egypt, was not a veteran of Carthage’s war with the Triple Alliance, like most commanders of Saraca’s generation. Garafin’s experience of war was from somewhere in the east, presumably as a mercenary soldier. Saraca welcomed this news, as the enemy would be unsure of their commander. Egypt, the heart of Carthage, would soon belong to Saraca – and Admago’s Carthage would soon belong to Sanais.

Saraca’s spies discovered that a third of the Defenders of Egypt were Egyptian archers, giving them the skirmishing advantage. Saraca countered this advantage by bringing ballistae. This would force the enemy to commit their heavy infantry at the start of the battle. The enemy’s heavy infantry were pikemen and swordsmen, to Saraca they looked more Seleucid than Carthaginian. Nevertheless, Saraca was confident. His hoplites were not simply veterans, they were Carthage’s finest heroes who could have marched proudly alongside Spartans at Thermopylae or Carthaginians at Numantia.

Saraca wondered why he wasn’t seeing volleys of arrows from the enemy archers. He sent horsemen around the flanks to investigate. When he saw cavalrymen approaching, he waited for their report, watching his infantry advance and looking forward to seeing Carthage’s finest hoplites in action once more.
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 03, 2019 at 04:54 AM.

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated August 3, 2019]

Chapter 34
    The Battle of Memphis

Unless Garafin, commander of the raw recruits of the Defenders of Egypt, could defeat the veterans of the Sacred Company, the loyal remnant of Admago’s Carthage would starve. Victory for the Sacred Company would sever the grain supply on which Admago’s Carthage relied. Saraca, general of the Sacred Company, marched his army north towards Alexandria and was met by the Defenders of Egypt near the city of Memphis, the last city on that road before Alexandria.

Both armies brought ballistae, forcing the heavy infantry of both sides to march quickly into melee. Saraca’s veteran hoplites were the best in all Carthage, he must have been confident that the Sacred Company would win the melee. However, Garafin had experience of warfare in the East and he believed that his Libyan swordsmen and Carthaginian pikemen would hold the line, even against Saraca’s veterans.

But holding the enemy in place was only the first step in Garafin’s plan. Garafin’s second step was to remove Saraca’s cavalry from the field. Garafin did this by placing his heavy spearmen on the flanks to reinforce his horsemen, giving them a decisive advantage in the cavalry engagement. With the help of the spear infantry, his cavalry broke the enemy horsemen, pursuing them towards the enemy general before turning to scatter the enemy slingers.

Now that the enemy cavalry and slingers were defeated, Garafin’s third step was to send his Egyptian archers forward on both flanks, so that they couild fire directly into the enemy's flanks and rear. He had ordered them to hold their fire until this moment.

As before, Garafin used his experience of eastern warfare. Some nations around the Black Sea use mounted archers to attack the enemy’s flanks and rear. Garafin’s archers lacked horses, but in this battle they didn’t need the speed of horse archers. Now that the enemy cavalry had been broken and their slingers scattered, Garafin’s archers only needed to be faster than the hoplites. If the hoplites turned to chase the bowmen who were firing volley after volley, they would be vulnerable to Garafin’s swordsmen and pikemen. Saraca’s veteran hoplites were exceptional warriors, but they were trapped.

The veteran hoplites fought on, even though they must have known it was hopeless, until almost all had been killed. This shows the high cost of Sanais’s civil war against Admago, and there was a further price to pay. Even before civil war began, the warriors of the Eravisci, the Boii and the Treverii were raiding our northern frontier territories. When Samais led his forces against Admago, armies which should have been protecting our frontier were fighting each other. The city of Noreia, north of Illyria, had high walls but too few men defending them when the Eravisci came. Without enough defenders, the city fell and was brutally sacked.
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 11, 2019 at 01:23 AM.

Citizen

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated August 10, 2019]

Nice updates! I played a Carthage Rome II campaign recently, in part because of you. I'm impressed how you got that civil war to escalate this much. My opposition never held more than one province per party. I assume that's probably because of the difficulty level.