Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Of Souls Fragments - Updated: Battle of Hilhom Chapter 2 | 08/03/17

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Of Souls Fragments - Updated: Battle of Hilhom Chapter 2 | 08/03/17

Of Souls Fragments

Recently I've had a few people here and there mention Of Souls, and in the chat thread has been a bit of talk about writing (well obviously Shankbot, it's the WS chat thread ), so I've decided to post something I've been toying with for a while now and see how it goes. Much like when I started last time I don't really have anything written out, although this time I have the benefit of having a lot of the world already planned out so there is less to make up as I go along. Still, with that in mind I'm not promising anything or even many updates (this will probably die off after a couple of weeks) but it's better than just sitting as an unsaved file on my computer - and who knows hopefully it will be the drive I've been looking for start writing properly again.

So what is Of Souls Fragments? Well at the moment not a lot! However, if this manages to continue Fragments will simply be a collection of different stories set in the Of Souls world. The first of which will look at the Battle of Hilhom, a major battle fought in the year 53 BT (Before Treaty - 53 years before the signing of the Treaty that is mentioned in Of Souls) between two Soullords. It has been nice to explore this world pre-Treaty and the differences between it and the 'current' setting of Of Souls so if you've read the latter it should hopefully make for some interesting contrasts.

On that note, you won't need to have read Of Souls to understand, and maybe enjoy, Fragments - but if you'd like to you can find the inaugural story in this thread. There is also an Of Souls Blog, albeit one that is horribly out-of-date, if you are interested (I promise to update that at some point!).

So yeah, enjoy and as as always all your comments and feedback will be much appreciated.

Contents /kənˈtɛnt

Battle of Hilhom /ˈbat(ə)l ɒv,(ə)v hɪlhəʊm
    Prologue
    Chapter 1
    Chapter 2
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; March 08, 2017 at 10:37 AM.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Of Souls Fragments- Updated: Battle of Hilhom Prologue | 22/02/17

Prologue /ˈprəʊlɒɡ

"The Soullord of Hilhom became a rather unique title during the reign of Soullking Arthus, and remained so almost continuously until the signing of the Treaty. Initially Hilhom was the capital of what historians now refer to as the Southern Domain, and the Soulking or queen of that domain would reside there and claim the city and its title alongside their own Hold. However, when Soulking Arthus relocated the capital to the new city of Canterime, built in honour of his father, he decided to appoint a loyal official to the title Soullord of Hilhom, Protector of the Crystal Trees, who would rule the Hold in their absence – similar to the way modern Governors rule over the Confederate colonies under the authority of the Guilds.

It was a unique arrangement in many ways, but one that allowed the Soulking to keep control of an important Hold. First, the ‘Soullord’ would not raise a bann of their own, with troops being supplied and commanded under the Soulking’s banner. Second, it was the only title of Soullord in whole Southern Domain that was not inherited, with the holder being appointed and dismissed at the Soulking’s pleasure. Third, the holder was the only Soullord who swore their oath to not only the Soulking but their heirs as well, ensuring loyalty to the Soulking’s dynasty. Finally, and perhaps most controversially, there was no technical requirement for the holder to be an actual Soulsmith, and whilst traditional Pre-Treaty historians have argued such an appointment would be highly unlikely and just antagonise the other Soullords, more recent scholars have theorised it may have been more popular than first thought. After all, a non-Soulsmith would likely be far more loyal…"
    -The Southern Domain: A Modern Study

Diary of Soullord Theodred

Word reached us this morning that Rickard and his bann were now only a day away before they would be ready to engage us in battle and lay siege to the city. Numerous Soullords, over five-hundred Soulsmiths and thousands of fighting men will soon descend upon this city to secure Rickard’s claim to the throne and obliterate the last remnants of Soulqueen Alanna’s legacy – us. I will not make it easy for them; I swore to Alanna to defend her Hold from attack. I have never broken an oath and I do not intend to start now.

We are heavily outnumbered but that does not make us helpless. Since the fall of Canterime and its sacking by Uther two years ago, I have been preparing the defences of the city. The Crystal Trees have been filled, the Souls of our citizens acting as the last bastion of defence for us to draw upon. The population has been scoured for potentially undiscovered Soulsmiths; those found, regardless of age, given rudimentary training to help battle against Rickard’s host. The men lost to the defence of Canterime have been replaced, with companies of militia being raised throughout the city to fight back with every breath. They are not of the standard of the Queen’s soldiers that were recalled to the capital, nor are the Soulsmiths as trained as those summoned to fight in the name of her majesty. Both lack the experience they should have - but we have done what we can.

The Bann of Hilhom, as the conscripts now refer to themselves, will not be alone. They are supported by a small handful of professionals: my own personal retinue of Soulsmiths and Swordsmen, the remnants of the Queen’s force that managed to escape the fall of Canterime, and the elite Sentinels of the Crystal Trees. These groups together number less than a thousand men but I will need every one of them if my ragtag bann is to have a chance. The militia companies are inspired by them and without them they themselves will crumble… and the first Bann of Hilhom will be its last…
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; February 25, 2017 at 12:56 PM.

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Of Souls Fragments - Updated: Battle of Hilhom Prologue | 22/02/17

This was an interesting start! I always love reading of the histories of worlds, so this was intriguing to me!

Subscribing in the hopes that this lasts longer than a few weeks!

Thanks

Tigellinus

Edit: I forgot to mention, if you get another update out soon, you should enter into the Monthly Creative Writing Competition!
    Last edited by Tigellinus; February 23, 2017 at 01:13 AM.

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

That's a very nice start, Shankbot. You know I'm going to be sitting here watching the screen till the next update arrives, right?

Citizen

Blog Entries

Thank-you both for your kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed the (short) start.

@Tig; I hope it lasts longer than that as well!

@Caillagh; Don't watch for too long... I need to pace the updates out as at the moment I don't have very many of them.

I've been meaning to read Of Souls for a while. I guess following your updates on this will be an easier task until university loosens its leach, since you say it can be read regardless.

In any case, I liked the start. I found the historiographical excerpt interesting and it will surely be quite useful to understand what's to come. I liked the narrative segment too, despite feeling a bit lost on some of the concepts. I guess it's a symptom of not havnig read the original. I'm sure I'll soon find out what everything is once I see it in action.

I do have one criticism about this story and the original, as personal as it is: I find it very tiring on my eyes to read Times New Roman on that size.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Thank-you for reading (I'm honoured Of Souls has been on your list!) and for your feedback. Looking back the only concept that isn't new I guess is the frequent use of the term 'Soul', everything else is generally new to this specific story - but I can see how understanding (which readers of Of Souls would have) that term would help a lot. Fear not, I won't ask you to go and read the origin as well. There is a glossary in the OP in which should hopefully help explain things, specifically look at the 'S' section as most other things are only relevant to that story, but if not please just let me know and I will do my best to fill you in.

I appreciate the comment about the font, I found that as well with my Of Souls chapters which is why towards the end they are posted in the default font. I decided to keep the personalised font (Palatino Linotype but TNR is close enough ) for the chapter headings for stylistic reasons and because usually they are only a few lines. Admittedly this heading is longer than usual so the strain is more apparent, but generally they won't be like that and instead only confined to a couple of sentence. Let me know how the next few work for you as they'll be a lot less text, but if it's still an issue I will happily change it.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Ah, a desperate defence against overwhelming odds by defenders who are hoping that the morale of their hastily-assembled militia will hold ... I like it!

Citizen

Blog Entries

An overdone scenario I'm sure, but I hope to deliver my own take on it.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

It's true that others have written about similar situations, but I don't think that matters, particularly when these events are happening in your imaginative and well-crafted world.

This fragments are cool .I personally like them more than the main story .Dont get me wrong,i like the main story too,but its like i love the diamond more than the gold.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Citizen

Blog Entries

@Alwyn; thank-you

@mad orc; I'm not quite what that last bit means, but I'm glad you are enjoying it so far.

Thank-you for commenting.

It means that the main story is the gold and the fragments are the more precious diamonds.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Thank-you very much.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Of Souls Fragments - Updated: Battle of Hilhom Chapter 1 | 01/03/17

Chapter 1 /ˈtʃaptə wʌn

"In the years prior to the signing of the Treaty there were still a number of new discoveries about Soulsmithing, the most notable originating in the Southern Domain. At the same time however, the destruction caused by years of war meant many ancient arts were also lost... "
    --The Southern Domain: A Modern Study

Soullord Rickard allowed a small smile to form on his lips as the city of Hilhom came into view over the hill. The last obstacle stopping him from securing Alanna’s crown and his place as Soulking was finally in sight and ripe for the taking. It had been a bloody conflict but finally he was the last one standing – the token garrison left under Alanna’s whelp Theodred, despite not being large enough to cause much trouble or demand immediate attention, had been a thorn in his side ever since he had secured the lands around Canterime. Now under Rickard's full attention they would be no match for the host he had assembled: the armies of Uther - who but not long ago held the position Rickard was in now, Kathru, Bernurd, Dethenor and countless other Soullords all served under his bann. They had forsaken their loyalty to Alanna in the vain hope of opportunity but now swore fealty to him.

Rickard crested the hill with his bodyguard and retinue behind him, followed by the Soullords and their own Soulsmiths. The main army was still traversing the hilly terrain that surrounded the city and it would be another day before they were in position to begin the siege, but Rickard wanted to lay eyes on the object of his conquest as soon as he could. Even from this distance the Crystal Trees were glowing faintly in the morning sun, the light of the city’s Souls filling them ready to be used by Theodred and his Soulsmiths to defend the city. Many of the Soullords under his bann were apprehensive about assaulting the city whilst its greatest defence glowed but Rickard had a plan for them that none but his closest advisors knew. They were an impressive sight regardless, five of the largest crystals ever found sculpted to look like leafless winter trees as tall as grand towers sparkling in the sunlight. One was atop each peak of the five out of six hills that Hilhom was built upon, rising above the city as a circle of guardians. The centre of the city was built upon the larger sixth hill that sat in the middle of the others, and situated on its summit was the old Soulking’s palace, a grand building even when compared to the Trees, with five marble towers rising high above a central dome. Rickard could not comprehend why anyone would have moved their capital from here; the city was a jewel he would proudly rule from once the last remnants of opposition were crushed.

Whilst the Crystal Trees were perhaps the biggest problem facing any attacker, Rickard knew it was not the only obstacle to overcome. Surrounding the whole city and its six hills was a large stone wall that, whilst simple enough to break through with Soulsmithing, would require a lot commitment from his Soulsmiths due to its sheer size. Siege weapons were accompanying the army, but Theodred's Soulsmiths would require very little effort to stop the projectiles, unless they could be distracted elsewhere. Indeed, the one thing that the defenders had in plenty compared to Rickard was access to Souls. Theodred had access to a large population to draw upon alongside the Crystal Trees, and has faced little in the way of conflict since the war began. In contrast, Rickard and his bann had been campaigning for months, battling against Soullord after Soullord - which meant Souls were used up very quickly, even when his Soulsmiths were under orders to use them sparingly. The continuous conflict had taken a toll on the stockpile Rickard had gathered since the war began, and whilst he had more Soulsmiths they would be useless without Souls. This was why it was vital his plan for the Trees was successful, if all went well they would turn the city’s main defence against Theodred and his ragtag bann.
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; March 06, 2017 at 07:13 PM. Reason: proofreading

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

You're doing that worldbuilding thing again, aren't you? With all those descriptions you do so well...

That description of Hilhom is lovely, with the hills, and the palace, and the glowing crystal trees. And very helpful for understanding the tactical position.

So now I want to know what happens next...

Calliagh already said what I wanted to say .
    excellent update .wish my house had crystal trees too .

Just an honest criticism though .Your story ventures away from the plot due to too much descriptions .But I guess it's just me .Anyway ignore this and keep building those beautiful world's .

Citizen

Blog Entries

Thanks for the comments guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh View Post
    You're doing that worldbuilding thing again, aren't you? With all those descriptions you do so well...

That description of Hilhom is lovely, with the hills, and the palace, and the glowing crystal trees. And very helpful for understanding the tactical position.

So now I want to know what happens next...
    Worldbuilding is fun, writing it all out is less so... maybe I'll just post all the notes and stuff I have and let someone create a story from that.

I'll be sure to let you know what happens next as soon as I know!

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    Calliagh already said what I wanted to say .
    excellent update .wish my house had crystal trees too .

Just an honest criticism though .Your story ventures away from the plot due to too much descriptions .But I guess it's just me .Anyway ignore this and keep building those beautiful world's .
    Thank-you for the feedback, as I mentioned in the OP any is always well appreciated! I completely get where you're coming from, and it is a valid comment - I do tend to get lost in long-winded descriptions rather than advancing the plot, especially when a new place is being introduced in the setting. I guess it's for a number of reasons, I enjoy writing about the settings and describing them to you the most and I have a lot of detail that I'd like to get across. It could done in a lot better way, like slowly dropping bits in here and there about descriptions, but I guess it's a downside of writing as you along - I never know if I'll have the chance to include the description again.

Thank-you for highlighting it, and I agree with you, so it'll be something I'll try and work on in future updates.

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

I feel more or less the opposite of Mad Orc, here. I love the descriptions and wish I could do them as well as you! I can actually imagine the scene you are putting forward, and it is beautiful!

Lovely work, Shank!

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Nice update, I wonder if the double POV will continue or if it was just to introduce "the enemy."

Regarding the discussion around descriptions, I think the current length is fine. There's actually room for more detail, imo. On the other hand, mad orc does have a point. If I may, I'd like to suggest the "show, don't tell" approach. Let's take the latest Chapter as an example. Instead of desribing the scene solely with the narrator, you could have added a discussion among Rickard and his high ranking officers about it. You don't even have to quit writing these descriptions (which are very good): it should be enough to accompany them with remarks from the characters that develop them and advance the plot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast