Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

Default Re: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

Cool thanks.

Question: Is it possible for us to get better garrison troops? I know they're not supposed to be top of the line, and are only meant as a last ditch defense. But you'd think with reforms and technology we could get slightly beefier garrison troops?

Unfortunately unit upgrades and reforms, etc. don't play well with garrisons. They tend to bug out when you try to use them together.

The last time I tried using technologies to do it I ran into some issues, but maybe its possible to do now (haven't checked in awhile). I do know that reform units definitely won't work right.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

It'd be interesting to see if it could work now.

It doesn't properly work, atleast since the last time I checked, if you make a unit specifically tailored to upgrade from an existing garrison unit, it will often only upgrade into 1 unit, from 6 to 1 for example. For my custom mod I resorted to making several versions of the swordsmen and then assigning them based on the building level, depending on your play style, the units correspond roughly with the rate of the reforms you'll get as Rome so i'm content with it atm.
    Last edited by Dardo21; November 03, 2018 at 03:01 PM.

Request: Changing the temple -% to provincial income, to a flat, more easier to understand number.

suras333's Avatar Semisalis

Does "Minor bonus to diplomacy with all factions" skill really work?
    I never see any change in the diplomacy panel after I choose it.

It does, I believe it's listed as cultural affinity, which is usually in the negatives, but with enough of the bonus to diplomacy skill, can be turned into a positive number. It's good for early game, but falls off late game.

Request: Remove or severely limit the range on fire arrows - as realistically they wouldn't function. Flaming javelins and heated ceramic bullets for slings would make far more sense historically and realistically if we needed/wanted something to cause fire damage to buildings/gates.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; December 14, 2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Unfortunately unit upgrades and reforms, etc. don't play well with garrisons. They tend to bug out when you try to use them together.

The last time I tried using technologies to do it I ran into some issues, but maybe its possible to do now (haven't checked in awhile). I do know that reform units definitely won't work right.
    I'm currently starting my own garrison submod to replace the GAR_<unit name> with roster units for all factions. I was just planning on linking higher-level reformed units to higher tier buildings (i.e. Tier 4 City for Rome would give Legionaries, while the Tier 1 would give Hastati, e.g.). Are you saying you've already tried this and it crashes the game? If so I'll save myself the trouble

It wouldn't necessarily crash the game, but when I last tried it, it kept on upgrading reformed units without the reform and often from several units into 1 unit. You could use non-reform units or max reform units though I assume.

Thanks for the feedback! This is my first time attempting a submod for myself so I'm pretty anxious about ing everything up haha.

VektorT's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by kpagcha View Post
    Yeah I can get them as mercenaries, but I thought you could recruit them as regional or aux troops as Roma?
    Sorry, I didn't came back here before to see this. Yes, you can, some provinces have them. I don't know each ones, the only ones I know for sure is Syria, Palmyra and Yehuda because I own them in my current Rome campaign and they do give me access to elephant units.

Edit: totally forgot about the Area of Recruitment map of DEI. Not sure how updated it is, but I do think the elephants units still are where they should. There are some in Syria like I said, also in Africa and India. Check here:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by VektorT; November 06, 2018 at 04:39 PM.

Yeah just today I conquered Lybia and indeed AoR elephants are recruitable. But the Aux map says elephants are available in Mauretania, Africa and Phazania, but this has not been true in my experience (except Phazania because I don't own any region in there).

How can I find out about all different possible names for Roman armies in DEI? Both "generic" and region specific.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; December 14, 2018 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by kpagcha View Post
    How can I find out about all different possible names for Roman armies in DEI? Both "generic" and region specific.
    You mean all legions names, their numbers, etc.?

Yeah. Alaude, Adiutrix, Belgica, Germanica...

If you got the PFM manager, go to text -> db and then unit descriptions AUX Romans and unit names AUX Romans.
    Last edited by Dardo21; November 09, 2018 at 02:53 PM.

I think he means the army names themselves. Its a vanilla text file if I remember, and I can't exactly remember the name of the .loc file.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Yes, I mean the army names.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Pack is local_en (into data), then go to > text > db > military_force_legacy_names.loc
    Names are assigned randomly, so if you want to have your specific name, you'll have to raise the army and then exit the game, change the name, reload with your pack.

Just open this pack with PFM (remember to update schemata, just copy and paste inside your folder https://sourceforge.net/projects/pac...iles/Schemata/
    Or use RPFM (they are quite the same) http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...s-than-before!

Don't change left columns (probably you could also add some armies names, dunno), only the right ones, whose names will be displayed into game
    Pack: https://www.mediafire.com/file/zv0wd...ames.pack/file
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; November 10, 2018 at 06:35 AM.

Thank you! I'll check it out. I don't think they're assigned randomly though. I got names like Legio Hispana, Belgica or Germanica based on where I raised the army, which is pretty cool.