Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

1) if the game crashes with a submod it may mean 2 things
    - the submod is bugged by default
    - the submod is not compatible with the update (most probably about units)
    2) out of date message is nothing, is just a warning message which always pop up after game crashes
    3) if you just use the 3 dei part you can't have problems
    4) sure you can change what you want, until your changes are ok you'll never have problems

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Im playing as Carthage, the quintessential ship faction. All my ships originate from one class of people, the 2nd class. There are no ships from other class'.That seems like a very weird thing, when your whole roster is diverse, with heavy emphasis on the foreigners (4th class) and subjects (3rd class) Celts and Numidians respectively, but for ships it's a flip flop. All your ships are 2nd class, and there are no mercenary ships. Is this intentional?

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; May 29, 2020 at 02:58 PM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

As far as I know the vast majority of sailors/rowers in the Carthaginian were middle/lower class citizens, just like in Athens. So second class makes sense

Hey there, playing an Imperator Augustus Campaign again after a while and I noticed that the Roman factions always and only recruit Legionarii Clibanariorum. I think I have not seen a single standard Legionaire unit, and very few Evocati of either version, and I remember this being the case 1 or 2 years ago as well.
    First of I'd ask if this is working as intended, and if not,
    I'd secondly like to ask if you'd be open to change something about the Roman recruitment pattern?
    As an example from the top of my head, making it so Roman factions don't use the Leg. Clib. as a "core" unit, but more like Evocati with maybe only up to 3 or 4 per army, and standard Legionaires as their main unit?
    Last edited by Feeelix; June 28, 2020 at 05:24 AM.

They are all setup to recruit standard Roman legions so that is odd. Its possible they are recruiting in areas without a barracks.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

pesto alla genovese's Avatar Senator

I understand that gfx mods, namely AAA:Generals, HD Cities and Better Water should be fine to use with DEI. However, I did see a streamer crashing with these mods. Any comments? Anyone using AAA:Generals with DEI?
    (great mods btw, thank you! in my favs)

Edit: Does the order matter for gfx mods? Should they be placed before or after DEI? (trying them out myself)
    Last edited by pesto alla genovese; June 27, 2020 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    They are all setup to recruit standard Roman legions so that is odd. Its possible they are recruiting in areas without a barracks.
    What do you mean by that? The Legionarii Clibanariorum as well as the 2 Evocati versions and standard Cohors Legionaria are all recruited from the Roman Barracks building.

pesto alla genovese's Avatar Senator

Getting some pretty persistent crashes both in battle and on campaign map with v1.2.5c (nothing else) in steam.
    What is the proper loading order of mod parts in the manager? Some units change its icons when I shuffle Parts order.

Edit: Played just with the 1.2.5b, and it's still crashing... Any idea what might fix it?

Edit: I have just realized that I am having troubles with the game itself, without any mods. Now to figuring out what's up with that.
    Last edited by pesto alla genovese; June 30, 2020 at 06:00 PM.

Hello again.
    So I've played far more of the IA campaign, and still, across the board, romans recruit Legionarii Clibanariorum as their core unit. Just seems like something has "swapped" them with the Cohors Legionaria, recruiting the one instead of the other.

Hey guys. Firstly I want to congratulate all of you (again) for this masterpiece of a mod and all the work you've put into it. Second of all, I'd like to suggest a feature I'd call "Romanization", but not in the way the edict works.
    I'll explain myself. I'm playing a campaign as Rome and some factions (like Syracuse and Massalia) have really good relations with me, but maybe not enough to form military alliances, in order to achieve the campaign objectives (hold this province by myself or through client states and military allies). Historically Rome "absorbed" some factions into the Republic and also the Empire without actually conquering them, but through agreements that gave such factions limited autonomy while under the influence of Rome. So I'm proposing a diplomatic action (in the way you can form the Hellenic League as Greeks or a Confederation as Celts or Germanic factions) that allows you to absorb that nation's territories into your faction and also take control of their units and keep them if you'd like. Obviously this would only be possible with very positive relationship values between the factions (I'm talking +150/+200 positive points)

Let me know if it's too crazy of a request and if it could be somewhat done and not break the game (or if there is a submod that allows this).
    Thanks!

Hi Dresden et al... so this is my first time using the steam version of the game, and i wanted to ask if it's not a glitch that i can recruit elephants in spain as carthage?

I thought the AOR kept elephants only recruitable in certain desert, Africa/ Atlas regions?

Cheers

This game is wonderful thanks to you and your team.
    (And now having a modern rig helps too lol.)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kong
    Hey moonflower, just wanted to say that your descriptions are indeed the best, so I will use all of them, of course. Regards

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Carthage has factional elephants so that is why you can recruit them everywhere.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Are cretan archers supposed to have heavy shot? I used them in custom battle with athens and i dont recall seeing an option for heavy shot. I had them shoot at a heavy phalanx i was engaged with in melee and they seemed very underwhelming. Any ideas? Are they just ineffective against heavy infantry?

No, they excel against heavy infantry. Maybe you shot them in their shields.

In the Augustus campaign, the Cimbri exist. Is that supposed to be the case? Just wondering because they should be long gone at that time, right?

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Carthage has factional elephants so that is why you can recruit them everywhere.
    what do you mean by factional? are they capped?
    and, so are you saying, for example, Praetorians can be recruited outside of the roman capital?

is there a way to explain this, for realism's sake?

Seems rather immersion-breaking to allow recruitment of North African Forest Elephants just anywhere...

(here's an immersion addition doozy: a population system for all beasts of war available in regions.
    Cuz then, I could imagine a culture bringing with them all elements of their culture, for the sake of colonization / total war. Historically speaking, colonizers/ conquerors/ invaders were infamous for introducing new species to new areas--new species of animals... and, new species of bacteria, and virus)

edit:
    all I know is that is waaaaaaay too much easy access to such power for the experienced carthage player... war elephants lvl 2 barracks ANYWHERE O.o
    Last edited by Moonflower; July 09, 2020 at 09:46 AM.
    Hey moonflower, just wanted to say that your descriptions are indeed the best, so I will use all of them, of course. Regards

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

It is for both player and AI sake so that they appear at all in campaign.

Same as Seleucids can recruit them from their stables as they introduced own breeding program of elephants as otherwise they could only get them from India.

Now I am not against making it more difficult but I know that we can easily end up in a place where nobody ever recruits them. It would be also breaking immersion to never see any elephants in Carthage AI armies.
    Last edited by KAM 2150; July 09, 2020 at 11:10 AM.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Does anyone have any idea what causes ships to bug out in naval battles? A friend and i are in a campaign and things were going well at the beginning but about midway through some of his ships were boarded. And after that he was unable to ram certain enemy ships. He had all the ships routed except for these last 4 boats which he could not ram. He was give the order then right before they hit the enemy his ship would just stop.

Rome 2 naval battles are unfortunately a mess.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    It is for both player and AI sake so that they appear at all in campaign.

Same as Seleucids can recruit them from their stables as they introduced own breeding program of elephants as otherwise they could only get them from India.

Now I am not against making it more difficult but I know that we can easily end up in a place where nobody ever recruits them. It would be also breaking immersion to never see any elephants in Carthage AI armies.

Understood thank you!