Thread: How to include a table of content?

Default How to include a table of content?

Hi, I would like to include a table of content in my front page where I can link to each chapter, how do I go on to do that?

Thanks all.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: How to include a table of content?

Hi baozi, do you want to create a list of chapters with links?

Here's how:-

1. Write the name of your first chapter:-

Chapter One

2. Highlight the name of your first chapter by dragging the cursor across it:-

Chapter One

3. Open a tab of your browser to the post containing the chapter which you want to link to. In the top-right hand corner of that post, you will find '#' symbol and a number, for example #1 (if it post 1 on the thread). Right-click on the #[number] and select 'Copy Link Location'.

4. When editing your post (whichever post you want the list of chapters to appear in), look at the bar containing buttons (e.g. to make your told bold, italic or underlined; find the yellow smiling-face button, then look at the button on the right hand side of that, (the circle which is coloured blue/green and has a symbol at the bottom of it which looks like a pair of goggles). Click that circle-shaped button. A box will appear headed 'Link'. In the box labelled 'URL', right-click and paste the location which you copied in step 3. Click 'OK'. You should now have this:-

Chapter One

You can add subsequent chapters by repeating this process. Sometimes this can be tricky. If you add a link to something which you did not intend to, you can use the circle button with the red cross (to the right of the circle button you used to add a link) to remove a link. When adding a new chapter to my contents list, I find that I need to create the new chapter in a different part of the post from my list of chapters (to avoid problems); I then cut and paste the new chapter link to the bottom of my list of chapters.
    Last edited by Alwyn; December 20, 2015 at 01:45 AM.

Thank you so much man! I got it to work perfectly! Now, how do i rep you? XD

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Rep is at the bottom of the post under the username/picture. It's next to the report thing.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Another way of doing it is to use the [post] tag. It works similar to what Alwyn explained, but saves a bit of space. If you look at the link you get when you select 'Copy Link Location' it will end with the word post followed by a number. For example, here's the link to the first post in this thread:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?705470-How-to-include-a-table-of-content&p=14805464&viewfull=1#post14805464

The number in this case is 14805464. To add a link to this post, you would place the following code in your text:

[post=14805464]Chapter One[/post]

You can put whatever text you want between the [post] and [/post] tags. The above example will show up like this:

Chapter One

What I ended up doing was just right click post number and copy link address and applied I to the link button. Worked like a charm!

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Didn't even know about the post code, IneptCmdr, that looks quite useful.

There is a third way, using JUMP and ANCHOR tags. I find they work the best for a table of contents because unlike a URL link it doesn't have to load a new page, it simply takes you there so there isn't a loading time or anything - which for AARs with lots of pictures etc. can be quite a while.

You use the JUMP tags for what you want people to click on, and then the ANCHOR ones for where you want them to be taken. For example:

Chapter 5

-

Chapter 5

And here is where your Chapter 5 would begin...

Hope this helps, but any of the methods mentioned work just as well.

EDIT: Forgot to say it works.

[JUMP=example]Whatever you want your link to be[/JUMP]
    [ANCHOR=example]Wherever you want your link to go to[/ANCHOR]

Note that it doesn't matter what comes after the = sign, as long as it is unique in that thread and they both match for that particular instance. You can have as many as you want, just make sure they are different for each separate JUMP/ANCHOR combination.
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; December 21, 2015 at 11:58 AM.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Thank you, IneptCmdr and Shankbot, I didn't know about either of those methods!