Thread: Utilzing the campaign map.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Utilzing the campaign map.

Hello

I recently had an idea for you guys and I'm not sure whether this is possible, but to immerse the player into the Ancient world, you need:

1) Improved event pictures
    2) Cinematic intros (for each faction, is this possible?)
    3) Reskin of cities which I'm sure will be done.
    4) Events and dilemas to involve the player into this world, let him make his own story.

Here are some examples from a CIV 5 mod that has some good stuff:

^^^^

This would be excellent for Attila's Campaign as I believe you already have the tools for this.

For reforms, why don't you have an event picture that says the Marian reforms, the Hellenistic reforms, etc.

Here is the video, skip to 1:12
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ccHvB7vzvM

The reason I'm saying this is because I don't want an empty campaign map with nothing to do. Granted that ATW has some good details and events, but it doesn't have enough.

Europa Barboarum had a list of famous events that had been happening as you progressed. Don't forget to add them, Napoleon, ETW also had these events - you would be missing out a lot if you didn't have them.

So lets have a look at some of the events for ETW:

One is from a mod and the other maybe, but it details the player into this time particular time period,.

For reskinning Carthage - make sure the MAP is BIG.

Notice the attention of detail on the buildings, use them very well when reskinning cities.

Even the Great Shogun 2 had plenty of events to keep the player involved and get immersed:

You have this in Attila, but there there needs to be more of this ^^^^^^^^ I love these kind of events - makes me feel involved as a player.

Can you guys also change ATW's campaign map settings - the terrain?

Basically I want ATW's campaign map to have been utilized so much that the player can immerse himself in it.

Have a look here from this portrait and events UI mod for Shogun 2:

Granted they are from Shogun 2, but if you look at the detail involved, then I can say we need event pics like this from Rome 1 and other anicent games to really immerse the player.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Minimod-v-075

Now here's a good pic for marriage - you can make up your own one.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Minimod-v-075
    Last edited by The Wandering Storyteller; June 25, 2015 at 10:22 AM.

Default Re: Utilzing the campaign map.

Can you guys also do this, the DLV mod team did this:

seems like a bit much to ask from a modding team.

Its only suggestions, its up to them to decide how they wish to do it. Its not very much adding events.

I too think, it's too much suggestions. It's kind of pressuring the modding team, which is by the way doing amazing work. Cinematic intros take time and are hard to edit and make. They're also completely unnecessary. Also doing this for ALL the factions, which is a huge number in this mod if you check out the threads below, is just plain too much. Events and dilemmas are already in the vanilla , so editing it's pictures and adding some new ones seems possible and nice.

Quote Originally Posted by vito397 View Post
    I too think, it's too much suggestions. It's kind of pressuring the modding team, which is by the way doing amazing work. Cinematic intros take time and are hard to edit and make. They're also completely unnecessary. Also doing this for ALL the factions, which is a huge number in this mod if you check out the threads below, is just plain too much. Events and dilemmas are already in the vanilla , so editing it's pictures and adding some new ones seems possible and nice.
    This is in mind for a long term goal. Granted that they are making this mod and are taking their time - I don't expect them to do all this stuff until they release the mod at least. But most mods released that I have linked - have added these various elements. Cinematic intros were a requested feature - I want to see them. Well just only make them for the major factions. Please do not think I am ignorant of their work.

Edit: Besides when DEI was released and was working on its stages, they focused the UI much later than it was.
    Last edited by The Wandering Storyteller; June 25, 2015 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vito397 View Post
    Agreed about that, we might do a few of the major factions or a pretty sweet overview of 202 BC as an intro to all factions which will include a lot of very interesting parts to it and will be put together by me and UMC.

On the suggestions

We will be doing events of course, something Im really pushing for and the mod lead (ABH) really wants these to be a feature too. One of the ideas was the invasion of a horde of Cimbri and Teutones after the marian reforms are pushed through (something to test the new units on eh ? )

Cities will eventually be reskinned.

Event pictures are likely to be taken from a mod I saw for Rome 2 which had some pretty sweet pictures.

Carthage will be as big as it can be made for the purposes of not blowing up my PC.

Suggestions are, however, always welcome. If anyone else has ideas feel free to drop them here from now on
    Last edited by Petellius; June 25, 2015 at 02:55 PM.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Quote Originally Posted by Petellius View Post
    Agreed about that, we might do a few of the major factions or a pretty sweet overview of 202 BC as an intro to all factions which will include a lot of very interesting parts to it and will be put together by me and UMC.

On the suggestions

We will be doing events of course, something Im really pushing for and the mod lead (ABH) really wants these to be a feature too. One of the ideas was the invasion of a horde of Cimbri and Teutones after the marian reforms are pushed through (something to test the new units on eh ? )

Cities will eventually be reskinned.

Event pictures are likely to be taken from a mod I saw for Rome 2 which had some pretty sweet pictures.

Carthage will be as big as it can be made for the purposes of not blowing up my PC.

Suggestions are, however, always welcome. If anyone else has ideas feel free to drop them here from now on
    Well, just as big and expansive as you can make it out to be!

Now that would be excellent - that sort of modding hasn't been done since BI! I'd love to do that.

Good to hear

I don't mind anyone posting things like this or ideas. Not all of it is always possible or going to happen quickly, though. This mod project is a small team with a lot of ambition, honestly. Which is why we haven't been able to have a big major release yet. Redoing the startpos's, DB/buildings, units, and map takes time. We were late to the game, have picked up Attila combined with Rome 2, and have remained a fairly small team. So, eventually we can make things more specific and get into the detail work. For Attila, our first release will be more meat and potatoes stuff, honestly. If anyone ends up disappointed, well, not much we can do but keep working steadily.

You can't even really release for Attila until you redo all units or port them over. So, think about that for a moment.

Yes, I think I know the mod you are talking about, and I'd like to use it, as well.

Events for Attila aren't on my radar yet. I would *eventually* like some scripted events, preferably based on conditions rather than just flat dates. But we'll see. A lot more stuff has to be entirely replaced or redone in Attila compared to Rome 2. It won't all get done by the first release, most likely.

2) Cinematic intros (for each faction, is this possible?)
    We do have some videos in the pipeline, but there is no way to put these in game as of now. No one has figured out how to do it. And CA isn't going to release tools to help us in that area.

I personally love my cinematic intros for mods. It helps set the mood, and I was disappointed CA didn't do them for Rome 2. But yea, if they can't go in game, they are very, very low on our priority list.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH2 View Post
    I don't mind anyone posting things like this or ideas. Not all of it is always possible or going to happen quickly, though. This mod project is a small team with a lot of ambition, honestly. Which is why we haven't been able to have a big major release yet. Redoing the startpos's, DB/buildings, units, and map takes time. We were late to the game, have picked up Attila combined with Rome 2, and have remained a fairly small team. So, eventually we can make things more specific and get into the detail work. For Attila, our first release will be more meat and potatoes stuff, honestly. If anyone ends up disappointed, well, not much we can do but keep working steadily.

You can't even really release for Attila until you redo all units or port them over. So, think about that for a moment.

Yes, I think I know the mod you are talking about, and I'd like to use it, as well.

Events for Attila aren't on my radar yet. I would *eventually* like some scripted events, preferably based on conditions rather than just flat dates. But we'll see. A lot more stuff has to be entirely replaced or redone in Attila compared to Rome 2. It won't all get done by the first release, most likely.

We do have some videos in the pipeline, but there is no way to put these in game as of now. No one has figured out how to do it. And CA isn't going to release tools to help us in that area.

I personally love my cinematic intros for mods. It helps set the mood, and I was disappointed CA didn't do them for Rome 2. But yea, if they can't go in game, they are very, very low on our priority list.
    I see, not a problem, take your time. A bit sad there's no cinematic intros. No I understand it will take time for you to PORT all units into Attila. Well we'll see. These are suggestions that you can look at after the release. I don't expect you guys to do all of this stuff now. This is for future reference.

Nevertheless I wish you guys the best of luck!

ipwnu678's Avatar Semisalis

in terms of cutting down on videos, if there is a way, maybe tie them into the culture selection on the main menu?

One thing I hate about the vanilla event pictures is how they lose their color and fade to bronze. If that could be removed I would be very happy.