Thread: Visibly upgraded weapons and armor

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Default Visibly upgraded weapons and armor

Medieval II had a system where you could actually see which units had upgraded weapons and armor. The weapons looked a little bigger and the armor looked stronger. For some reason, that wasn't included in Shogun II, Rome II, or Atilla. Would you like to see its return in Warhammer? I'm thinking that the different factions might have some unique visual upgrades in addition to the mundane. For example, bronze and silver weapons might just look sharper and longer.

Here's a short list of two factions that might have some neat visuals.

Empire
    Armor Level 1: Half-plate mail for knights and greatswordsmen, padded gambeson for free companies, spearmen, and missile troops
    Armor Level 2: Full plate for knights and greatswordsmen, leather for free companies, spearmen, and missile troops
    Armor Level 3: Gothic plate for knights and greatswordsmen, brigandine for free companies, spearmen, and missile troops
    Weapon Level 3: Blades are etched with glowing Dwarfish runes.

Bretonnia
    Armor Level 1: Half-plate mail for knights, leather for men-at-arms, padded gambeson for missile troops
    Armor Level 2: Full plate for knights, chain mail for men-at-arms, leather for missile troops
    Armor Level 3: Gothic plate for knights, brigandine for men-at-arms, chain for missile troops
    Weapon Level 3: Blades shimmer with a faint green or white light, signifying they have been blessed by the Lady.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Default Re: Visibly upgraded weapons and armor

I'd definitely like to see the return of upgradable armour. Loved upgrading those Italian spearmen from their crappy tunics to their brigantine armour in Med 2.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Well, yes, but not only that, I would go as far as letting the player choose from a pool of available equipment.

So you don't upgrade the unit, you upgrade the equipment (research/loot new stuff), and then depending on your resources (how many pieces of each type of equipment you can make/afford according to your tech level, your economy and the natural resources you have access to) then you would equip your soldiers in some way or another, and that would not only visually reflect on the battlefield, that would be the main distinguishing factor between different unit types.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

It sounds like generals, or at least heroes, will be able to have equipment and different mounts.

This game sounds amazing.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Upgrades would be neat, especially if they changed troop appearance.

My thoughts on the Bretonnians though, they should stop at half-plate and chainmail. Instead of getting more armor they should get more flamboyant decorations on their helmets and heraldry, thus giving huge boosts to morale and staying true to the background.

Also, Bretonnian laws forbid infantry being given heavy armor, just quilted and chain mail for the foot-sloggers. Might get a prettier banner though.

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    It sounds like generals, or at least heroes, will be able to have equipment and different mounts.

This game sounds amazing.
    I hope this means we can choose between undead horse/abyssal nightmare/Terrorgheist as for VC.

This just wouldn't work in the WAR universe I think. One reason is that the units are modeled after the real miniatures as far as we have heard (and they said they will do their best to represent them accurately I believe). Although it would be cool yes, I doubt we will see it return. But as for the heroes and generals, we know they will have special items, like weapons, accessories and magic items, so I am pretty sure they will have special armour as well. The game will have that RPG element it seems, and it sounds nice, as it's something new to a TW game, although not entirely. We had the similar system in Shogun 2 if you don't remember, with a wide variety of armour selection, and legendary weapons and armour retainers. So they have actually done it before, and it worked quite well, for me atleast, and it was really cool. I like that they are now incorporating that into the campaign itself.

I hope this means we can choose between undead horse/abyssal nightmare/Terrorgheist as for VC.
    Well this is pretty much confirmed already. Generals will be able to choose different mounts.

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

If there is Same unit upgrade as we See in Rome II (Veteran to pretorian), so it is also possible to Upgrade units in TWH. Maybe it will be Not done by CA Because of the license, but maybe they Let the door open for us.

Sent on Samsung Galaxy
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

Yomamashouse's Avatar Semisalis

Absolutely I would love to see it return. I loved playing M2TW and having my well-equipped militia in chain facing down the impoverished hordes of my enemies (who tended not to go for fast armour upgrades). With the colossal budgets of the newer games there is no excuse not to, it would be so little effort on their part but such a large pay-off.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Visible upgrades is definetely something that NEEDS to come back for warhammer total war. CA really listened to the fans after the release of Rome 2 TW. I just wished they would listen to us before the release this time.

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    Visible upgrades is definetely something that NEEDS to come back for warhammer total war. CA really listened to the fans after the release of Rome 2 TW. I just wished they would listen to us before the release this time.
    If we howl enough about it they may add it into the 2nd expansion ala what they did with Attila. It doesn't seem to terribly hard to do if they did it in MTW2, but then again I'm not a dev to say such things willy nilly.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Yeah I liked the idea that free cities could produce militia forces which weren't inherently a bad thing, they just needed a more sophisticated infrastructure to provide the training and arms for part time soldiers. However cities were in a position to provide those resources. Whereas castles were territories under feudalism and had access to professionals from a dedicated warrior class so you can draw on better soldiers at the cost of freedom and prosperity.

I mean I would expect Reiklanders to have a higher tech level than Stirlanders in the game, they're certainly supposed to in the background. It's the industrial city states of Rhineland vs the rural counties of Hungary.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

it will be nice to have but not required. it made sense for m2 because most of the factions have the same units. you needed it for m2 to differentiate the units tiers for those factions to give a cosmetic unit diversity. from what I understand, unit diversity isn't a problem at all with the races/factions in warhammer as every race would have different units.

warhammer and lotr are almost perfect fits for a tw game.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: