Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II v2.4a released!

Default Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II v2.4a released!

Greetings fans of Europa Barbarorum!

The team recognises this has been a long time coming, v2.35A R3 was two years ago, the last full installer five (!) years ago. We'd been hoping to have something to drop in the summer, but as is the way with these things, events conspired against that. The last couple of months we've been wrestling with a bug that prevented the music working as intended, which had a bizarre cause once we got to the bottom of it.

Once again, any rumours of the mod's demise were greatly exagerrated, we don't always make as much noise about what we're doing as we could, but rest assured the team has most definitely not given up. November marked 16 years since the first elements of EBII were laid down and we're not done yet. That's the nature of a project which depends entirely upon the voluntary efforts of its team, which has changed a great deal over the years.

As ever, we welcome new volunteers; in particular people who are willing to learn how to code traits, which remains a huge undertaking we've barely scratched at.

We haven't managed to complete the two unused faction slots. That was a goal for 2.4, but ended up being sidelined. That is an explicit goal for the next major release 2.5, along with a reworking of the map. Obviously there'll be new units and other features that will happen alongside that, but those are the big ticket items we're aiming for.

There's a lot of new content in here, but we haven't got the Player's Guide updated to reflect it yet. That will come, but the changes are subtle rather than big breaks from what happened before.

As always it's necessary to be absolutely explicit about this point:

THIS RELEASE IS NOT SAVEGAME COMPATIBLE

This is a complete installation, it's best if you remove any previous versions of EBII you have installed.

Installation instructions

Before we get into the details, it's necessary to reinforce an important point: the installation instructions are lengthy and detailed because they need to be. We gathered all this knowledge the painful way, through bitter experience of what does and doesn't work with this clunky old game and the myriad configurations of platform and medium out there. These instructions are not optional, if you do not follow the right ones for your machine, it is highly likely the game will not function properly. If you do not follow the instructions and get issues, we will not be able to help you until you've conformed with the instructions.

These appear in the Player's Guide which is bundled with EBII, but for completeness they are repeated here.

1. M2TW Installation Instructions

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    CD/DVD

1) [Mac and Linux] it is assumed that you have the Feral Interactive version of M2TW Kingdoms. For people who do NOT have the Feral Interactive version, you will need wine to run the game.

2) Install Medieval 2 Total War and the Kingdoms expansion (at least 1 mod) outside of C:\Program Files. Use a short directory such as C:\M2TW as an example.

3) Update the game to version 1.5 (links). Kingdoms expansion is 1.4

4) Start the game and start a campaign, then quit. Do not skip this step.

5) You can change the game settings to your favourite key bindings, graphics, unit size, camera, ect.

Steam

1) [Mac and Linux] Steam has the Feral Interactive version of M2TW Kingdoms which will run better on your operating system. You still need to complete the post installation instructions after installing M2TW Kingdoms and Europa Barbarorum II.

2) Do NOT Install Medieval 2 Total War and the Kingdoms expansion in the standard library C:\Program Files\Steam...

3) Create a game library outside of C:\Program Files\Steam. Official Steam instructions Gigantus Total War Center instructions.

Steam Menu > Settings > Downloads > Steam Library Folders > Add Library Folder >Select a different drive other than C:\ our example will be “F:\”(It is recommended to use a different drive if you have one, otherwise use C:\) > add New folder and name it something short such as “Steam Games”. The new library should be “F:\Steam Games”

4) Install or move Medieval 2 Total War and the Kingdoms expansion in your new Steam Library “F:\Steam Games”

Install
    You can make “F:\Steam Games” the default install before you download Medieval 2 Total War and the Kingdoms expansion, then change it back when you are done. Steam Menu > Settings > Downloads > Steam Library Folders > right click “F:/Steam Games” > Make Default Folder.

Move
    You can move Medieval 2 Total War Kingdoms from C:\Program Files\Steam to your new library folder “F:\Steam Games”. It is recommended to create a backup first.View Library > right click Medieval 2 Total War Kingdoms > Properties > Local Files > Move Install Folder > Select your new library folder “F:\Steam Games” > Move folder

5) Update the game to version 1.5. Steam should do this automatically, or the game is already 1.5

6) Start the game and start a campaign, then quit. Do not skip this step.

7) You can change the game settings to your favourite key bindings, graphics, unit size, camera, ect.

8) Installing other mods is not recommended

2. EBII Installation instructions

[Mac] Mac users are assumed to have wine to run the installer exe with. If not there is a ZIP version to download which means you will not have to use the exe.

1) Uninstall any previous versions of EBII (there's a shortcut for it in your start menu).

2) The downloaded file is a zip archive, which means you need to unpack the installer files from the zip file. Windows Explorer should allow you to simply copy the contents out. If not, you can download 7-zip for the purpose.

3) Run EBII.exe

4) Step through the install wizard. Make sure the installer is pointed at your M2TW directory such as in our CD example “C:\Games\M2TW”or Steam example “F:\Steam Games\steamapps\common\Medieval 2 Totalwar”You need to change it from the default if it is pointing at Program Files.

5) Wait for the installer to copy all the files.

6) If you did not start a M2TW vanilla campaign after installing it, run that now. Start a campaign from Medieval.exe, then quit.

7) Run the mod using the shortcut placed in your start menu or desktop.
    [Steam] You will need to insert a short code (4. Starting EB2 for the first time)

[Mac & Linux] If you do NOT have Feral Interactive M2TW You will need wine to launch the mod using the wine console command. (4. Starting EB2 for the first time)

[Windows 10] You will need to download and install Microsoft packages(3. Additional "O/S Specific" Mandatory Instructions)

8) Start a EB2 campaign. WAIT for the game to generate the world, the game has not frozen, then quit.

9) There may be a “Fatal Graphics Error” and crash to the desktop when you start the campaign only on the very first time. This is normal, just start the game again.

3. Additional "O/S Specific" Mandatory Instructions

[Windows 10]
    1) Create a new folder on your desktop

2) Download DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010).

3) Run the exe file that you downloaded and extract it into the new folder

4) Run the exe from the extracted contents in the new folder to install

5a) For 64 bit Operating Systems:
    Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) first
    Then install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) second

5b) For 32 bit Operating Systems:
    Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86) first
    Then install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) second

[Linux]
    1) Copy no_banner.mesh from share/data/mods/ebii/data/banners to share/data/data/banners (yes outside of the mod's folder).

2) Delete your settlements folder in share/data/mods/ebii/data. You play with vanilla settlements.

[Mac]
    1) Move the no_banner.mesh in medieval2data/mods/ebii/data/banners onto your desktop

2) Navigate to medieval2data/data then create a new folder named banners

3) Move or paste the no_banner.mesh into medieval2data/data/banners (the folder you just created)

4) Move your settlements folder in m2tw/data/mods/ebii/data to your desktop.

5) If you have a problem saving the game you can create the following folder in the following directory:Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/Medieval II Total War/VFS/Local/mods/EBII/saves

6) Once you have created it, give permission to all users so that they can each read and write to the folder.

4. Starting EB2 for the first time

The game is started using this launch batch file.
    [Windows] M2TW\mods\EBII\launch.bat
    [Linux] share\data\mods\ebii\launch.bat
    [Mac] medieval2data\mods\ebii\launch.bat

There should be a shortcut on your desktop.

[Windows] Creating a shortcut
    Right click launch.bat > Send to > Desktop(create shortcut)

[Steam] Launching Mods
    View Library > right click Medieval 2 Total War Kingdoms > Properties >Set Launch Options
    Insert this code:--features.mod=mods/EBII
    Click on OK
    Close the Properties window
    Start Medieval II Total War

[Mac and Linux] The following instructions are for those who do NOT have the Feral Interactive version of Medieval 2 Total War Kingdoms.

[Linux ] You will need wine to launch the mod using the wine console command(note this directory must match what you named them) Code:wine cmd < share/data/mods/ebii/launch.bat

[Mac] You will need wine to launch the mod using the wine console command.(note this directory must match what you named them) Code:wine cmd < medieval2data/mods/ebii/launch.bat

5. Preparation

Download Notepad++ to cleanly edit files. Windows Notepad will randomly insert characters when editing files causing errors. Never use it.

The Error Log
    Make sure your error log is working properly so you can properly report any issues.

Open this file, [your M2TW directory]\mods\EBII\EBII.cfg with Notepad++ and make sure it has this code:
    [log]to = mods\ebii\logs\eb.system.log.txt#level = * tracelevel = * error

This means the log will be stored as eb.system.log.txt in [your M2TW directory]\mods\EBII\logs\. We will need this log any time you report an error.

If you get a consistent reoccurring error change the code to:[log]to = mods\ebii\logs\eb.system.log.txtlevel = * trace

This will record every process the game makes and hopefully help us identify the exact causes. Don't forget to change it back when you are done because this detailed level of recording takes up lots of memory and causes crashes.

Report your errors and post the Error log(eb.system.log.txt) file to the Total War Center EB Bug Reports and Technical Help subforum.

The Error Log is often very large so compressing it into .zip or .rar archives is a good idea.

Windowed, borderless mode
    It's highly recommended that you play on windowed, borderless mode. It will increase the stability of the game. Open this file, [your M2TW directory]\mods\EBII\EBII.cfg with Notepad++ and make sure it has this code:

[video]
    windowed = 1
    borderless_window = 1

If "1" doesn't work, try "true" instead. Note you'll have to enter your native resolution in there to get a proper-sized window. You also need to ensure your medieval2.preferences.cfg doesn't have conflicting values.

Alternatively, we've bundled a windowed mode/fullscreen mode switcher program in with the installation, it looks thus:

All you should need to do is click the Windowed button.

Auto Save Corruption
    The game auto saves at the end of every turn but it there is a chance of corrupting the save file and crashing the game. Autosave can not be relied upon to save a long campaign.Open this file, [your M2TW directory]\mods\EBII\EBII.cfg with Notepad++ and make sure it has this code under [Game]: Auto_save = 0

Save often and keep a trail of saves. You can use Ctrl+S for quicksave

6. Older Software & RAM addressing

Old Software
    It's common users encounter technical issues while using old software like M2TW. It's only designed to address 2GB of RAM regardless of the users actual hardware capabilities and that limitation can cause stability problems with large mods like EB2.

You need Large Address Aware or some other "4GB patch" in order to play EB2. Years ago we had to tiptoe around this because there were potential legal ramifications, these are no longer the case.

Memory Leaks
    The game will increasingly hog more memory as the turns pass by. After a few hours the game may crash or cause the graphics to switch around. If you see buttons that are replaced with faces or buildings immediately save the game and quit to avoid imminent crash. It is a good idea to save and quit every few hours to empty out the memory.

Keep error log on *error
    In the [your M2TW directory]\mods\EBII\EBII.cfg file you should be playing with the following code that is set to log errors only:

[log]
    to = mods\ebii\logs\eb.system.log.txt
    #level = * trace
    level = * error

Leaving the log on trace takes up lots of memory and eventually causes crashes:

[log]
    to = mods\ebii\logs\eb.system.log.txt
    level = * trace
    #level = * error

Though it is useful for tracking down consistent errors, don't leave it on when you are enjoying the game.

[Optional]Post-installation modifications

Different Captains to Generals in the campaign

2.35 has a complete set of "Captains" that are different from the Generals. However, they are disabled, because the file in question, the descr_character is an either/or choice. Either you have proper generals in Custom Battle, multiplayer and historical battles (and no distinction between Captains and Generals in the campaign), or you can get a distinction between Generals and Captains in campaign battles only (but in the other three you always see Captains).

If you want the latter, you'll need to make edits to the descr_character.txt to swap them around.

As always, back up your file so you can revert before you apply this. Note this is NOT savegame compatible.

Links

At the moment, the only place we have the file hosted is on Moddb here:
    Installer
    Non-installer

If you have the means to host the files, please do so and share the link - I'll update this post with it.

Previews

Please also see our main feeds, featuring all the past previews, and where new material will appear:
    Twitter
    Facebook
    moddb

Change List

Changelog from v2.35A R3 to 2.4
    Changelog from v2.35 to v2.35A R3

Donations

The EBII team are volunteers who contribute their time and energy for free, and we don't want to change that. However, from time to time, we do elicit donations to cover our costs. These are for server hosting, which have come due recently. If you liked EBII enough to feel like you want to help the team, please see the link at the bottom of the EB website.

And finally...

In closing - EBII is still not complete. We are not finished - there will be future releases. We are at around 80% complete now - what we still need, what we always need, are more willing volunteers. If you are a 3D artist able to work with 3DS Max or Milkshape, or a 2D artist skilled with Photoshop who can work to instructions, we want you. If you have a knowledge in ancient history and a desire to contribute, we want you. If you are a scripter or coder, and have some familiarity with the files used here (compiled with C++ I believe), we want you. If you can proofread and edit XML files accurately, we want you. If you can playtest the ever-living crap out of a game, then do it all over again after a minor change, we want you. If you like the mod, and are eager to learn how to do something that can help to contribute, we want you. Apply here.

As ever, thank you for your support and remember to read more history.

- The Europa Barbarorum II Team
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; January 11, 2024 at 03:18 AM.

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II v2.4 released!

logs.zip

First I’d like to offer sincere thanks for the ongoing dedication and work that has gone into this fantastic mod. I’m really looking forward to properly getting to grips with the new version.

Second, I seem to be having a strange set of issues relating to the m2tweop gui that has been bundled with the latest install. As far as I can tell I can reliably launch and play the game via launch.bat. However if I try via m2tweop things get strange. Most commonly I get an unspecified error on launch. (I believe I have added a log from both the lauch.bat and the m2tweop gui in case these offer anything intelligible).

I believe I’ve set up m2tweop to have full administrative privileges and indeed, occasionally, it has launched – I really like the labels of the various seas. But whilst I’ve fiddled with various settings and I can always get a launch via .bat, even if I run the same settings repeatedly via m2tweop and get consecutive launches, it seems to inevitably break and I’ve run out of ideas whats happening.

I seem to be able to launch vanilla via the gui consistently, but I honestly don’t know enough about what the m2tweop launcher is doing to diagnose what is going on at all.

I've also reinstalled 2.4 more than once, without landing on a fix.

Many thanks again and Happy Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Gunydii View Post
    logs.zip

First I’d like to offer sincere thanks for the ongoing dedication and work that has gone into this fantastic mod. I’m really looking forward to properly getting to grips with the new version.

Second, I seem to be having a strange set of issues relating to the m2tweop gui that has been bundled with the latest install. As far as I can tell I can reliably launch and play the game via launch.bat. However if I try via m2tweop things get strange. Most commonly I get an unspecified error on launch. (I believe I have added a log from both the lauch.bat and the m2tweop gui in case these offer anything intelligible).

I believe I’ve set up m2tweop to have full administrative privileges and indeed, occasionally, it has launched – I really like the labels of the various seas. But whilst I’ve fiddled with various settings and I can always get a launch via .bat, even if I run the same settings repeatedly via m2tweop and get consecutive launches, it seems to inevitably break and I’ve run out of ideas whats happening.

I seem to be able to launch vanilla via the gui consistently, but I honestly don’t know enough about what the m2tweop launcher is doing to diagnose what is going on at all.

I've also reinstalled 2.4 more than once, without landing on a fix.

Many thanks again and Happy Christmas
    A prototype using eop is included in the file but was also not supposed to be used. The reason of the errors is a corrupted file, here is a fixed version: download. Just past the ttf file in ebii/data/fonts/data. And also set show_hud_date on false.

Nevertheless, i have already said a little everywhere (but nobody seems to be listening xD), this is a prototype, and don't use it in the middle of a campaign already started.

This seems to have done the trick

Thank you very much for the speedy reply,

In broad terms is this likely to function okay for new campaigns?

Always great to see a new version of EBII. Congrats and thanks on the release

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Sadly, the bug with crashing on closing unit card on campaign map is back. Log attached.

I also had a crash with "unknown error" after winning a custom battle. Log shown just that, unknown error.

Version is Steam Definitive Edition, Win11 eb.system.log.txt

Is there a link to the zip version without the installer? Also, will the new factions in 2.5 be eastern, nomadic, or hellenistic?
    Last edited by The_Duluthian; December 26, 2023 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Duluthian View Post
    Is there a link to the zip version without the installer? Also, will the new factions in 2.5 be eastern, nomadic, or hellenistic?
    AFAIK Belgae are all but officially confirmed (or maybe even officially confirmed, as the New Guys go by that name internally) to be next faction to be added.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunydii View Post
    This seems to have done the trick

Thank you very much for the speedy reply,

In broad terms is this likely to function okay for new campaigns?
    It should be ok. Just always use eop once the campaign started, never the vanilla shortcut.

A few words about the new calendar:

- you can switch from a calendar to another one by left-clicking on the date
    - when the date is hovered, a tooltip appears with all the calendars available for the faction (modern, vernacular, olympiads, etc...)
    - right-clicking on the date allow to restrict or not the info of the tooltip, so that you can see or not the date for foreign calendars
    - the icon changes with seasons (so you now also have spring and autumn)

With a right click on the mini-map, regions on the strat map will appear as colored areas.

About the latin and greek hydronyms and oronyms, they are available only for Rome and greek factions (in my submod, it will be possible to use them with other factions though, even if it makes no sense).

hey everyone, just wanted to say hi and thank you to you all for persevering with this, legendary dedication and effort. hope everyone's enjoying their festive season. all the very best

What do people make to the changes to javelin-armed cavalry? They have a longer range, more ammo and a higher attack; some identified as "elite skirmishers" can also hide in long grass, making them good for ambush/surprise.

Are they more useful and does it increase your likelihood of recruiting them and actively using them?

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    AFAIK Belgae are all but officially confirmed (or maybe even officially confirmed, as the New Guys go by that name internally) to be next faction to be added.
    Ah. As mentioned previously, is there a zip file of the mod without the installer? The reason that I am asking is that wine no longer works for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Erken View Post
    A prototype using eop is included in the file but was also not supposed to be used. The reason of the errors is a corrupted file, here is a fixed version: download. Just past the ttf file in ebii/data/fonts/data. And also set show_hud_date on false.

Nevertheless, i have already said a little everywhere (but nobody seems to be listening xD), this is a prototype, and don't use it in the middle of a campaign already started.
    I've downloaded the file and replaced the corrupt file. The correct calendar text shows, but so does the old one (screenshot). Is there any way to fix that?

also Strategikos update when

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Carrot View Post
    I've downloaded the file and replaced the corrupt file. The correct calendar text shows, but so does the old one (screenshot). Is there any way to fix that?
    in the ebii.cfg file:
    Just past the ttf file in ebii/data/fonts/data. And also set show_hud_date on false.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Carrot View Post
    also Strategikos update when
    Next year

in the ebii.cfg file:
    Oh haha, I've no idea how I missed this! I blame sleep deprivation and overexcitement. Thanks.

Next year
    ​good

Is possible for someone to post an edited config.sys file for use with the non-steam install of the game please.

Which file I need to use to use 4gb patch? I get memory crashes to dekstop;/ Medieval, exe does not work since EB2 is in seperate folder

Quote Originally Posted by bordinis View Post
    Which file I need to use to use 4gb patch? I get memory crashes to dekstop;/ Medieval, exe does not work since EB2 is in seperate folder
    First make a backup of your original medieval2.exe, before you use the large address aware (4gb patch as you call it).

Go to the ebii folder, inside m2tw/mods, and you will see an executable named "large address aware.exe". Run it, and then navigate to find your medieval2.exe.

Does not work with that. EB2 has a seperate launcher from medieval, even if I do with original med 2 exe file, it does not work other mods do work with med2 exe. This does not. I cannot put EB2 as a seperate campaign either, then the new javelin animations crash the game. What I am missing?

Would it be possible if some kind person would post an edited config.sys file (no logging recorded) on this site as im having difficulties doing it myself ?

Thank you

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast