Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: The "New" Frontier of M2TW Modding: Memory Editing

Default Re: The "New" Frontier of M2TW Modding: Memory Editing

40 units per army would be a nice start.

that's my vote .. until I change my mind, which could be at any moment.

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Which would already be amazing, more factions, units andcultures on a more detailed map would already make for an awesome mod.
    Let me mention the building tree limit too. Just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    This does look amazing. There's an Artifex badge in your future.
    IMHO give it along with Opifex.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorarii View Post
    fantastic, would be nice to have upgraded graphics but that's probably out of the question.
    Why? Seriously, of all the things the TW games in general, and M2TW need in particular, improved graphics is not one of them. That's precisely the problem with CA's agenda in developing the games, it's graphics first and everything else a distant second.

Gameplay matters, especially if you play the game for longer than 50 turns and moreso if you replay. This discover offers a meaningful chance to impact what really matters in deepening and enriching gameplay. I care much more about that than spiffy graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Why? Seriously, of all the things the TW games in general, and M2TW need in particular, improved graphics is not one of them. That's precisely the problem with CA's agenda in developing the games, it's graphics first and everything else a distant second.

Gameplay matters, especially if you play the game for longer than 50 turns and moreso if you replay. This discover offers a meaningful chance to impact what really matters in deepening and enriching gameplay. I care much more about that than spiffy graphics.
    everything you said is very true, i just got spoilt on HD graphics. i find it hard to watch standard res TV these days especially for footy.

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

What about diplomacy? Would it be possible to improve it?

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Quote Originally Posted by TheRiddle2406 View Post
    What about diplomacy? Would it be possible to improve it?
    Only if in memory we can fix CA's dead ends and I lost count a long time ago.

Senator

I wonder, can a settlement be upgraded w/o it's wall ALA rome 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    This does look amazing. There's an Artifex badge in your future.
    Interesting sig you have there sir Adrian.

A new age for MTW2 has started.
    Bravo!!!!

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

Is there anything we lay people can do to help? I'd proudly wear a banner advertising this thread to try and spread the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Jox25 View Post
    Guys, dont forget that Zarathos only patching memory, not remaking game engine. The easiest he can do is remake limits such as EDU, culture, hr, factions, EDB, regions, religions limits.
    Which are the biggest issues with the hardcoded limits, for sure.

Kirila the Kitten's Avatar Primicerius

Y'all imagine this.

EB2 Team Leader: After many years of struggle EB2 is released branding 30 new factions and higly developed everything .
    The team will now peacefully disband and retire from modding for a long time.

Me: The Faction limit was raised to 100 and you can have 1000 regions on a single map.

EB2 Team Leader: Here we go again boys!

EB2 Team Leader: We did it again ! Branding 75 unique factions and a GIGANTIC HUGE MAP, we bring you EB 2,5!

Me: Ultimate Total War was released. You can make your own campaign with factions created by yourself that can start in Prehistory and end in 4000 AD.
    Scripting has never been easier and we can play by simply using telepathic signals.

EDIT: God bless you Zarathos! I have 0 knowledge about any programming.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Quote Originally Posted by Rorarii View Post
    40 units per army would be a nice start.

that's my vote .. until I change my mind, which could be at any moment.

R
    No. That would bring issues, the game is not mulicore and we already get lag even with the 20 unit per army, imagine 40. Besides, settlements would not accomodate so many units.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post

I totally agree.

If you look at the game industry nowadays you will see that the concept of graphics are chaning, they are investing in simplier graphics. Graphics reached the limit in wich most machines will suffer to handle it, and as you say by yourself brutal graphics does not means gameplay enjoyment at all.

Rome 1 has bad graphics, medieval 2 has enough, rome 2 has too much.

If you look rome 2, the graphics are so good that they start to get bad, men look like totally realistical PLASTIC MODELS. hahaha

The same goes to animations, they are extremly complex in rome 2 so what? You watch them 3 or 4 times and then forget about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankbustaz View Post
    I wonder, can a settlement be upgraded w/o it's wall ALA rome 1?
    What are you talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by UndrState View Post
    Is there anything we lay people can do to help? I'd proudly wear a banner advertising this thread to try and spread the word.
    Yes, spreading this over other forums and inviting people to help Zarathos would be great.

PS: Ive posted my view about the limits that should be broken in the second post of this thread.

I belive the points are handable.

Almost everything being possible? Does this include a multiplayer campaign / drop in-feature for Med II? That would be about the best thing ever, as it seems like Med 2 is the pinnacle of the series and will remain that way.
    Heck, I'd pay Seaga $20-30 straight up for just a multiplayer campaign / drop in-dlc for Med 2 IF it worked and was stable.

I personally hold graphics and gameplay as equal points that make a good game. I'm a visual type of person, it's in my nature especially considering the field I'm going into(film making) I do agree that graphics shouldn't come at the expense of gameplay though. It's hard for me to backtrack to a game like Medieval 2 from Rome 2 because even though Rome 2 has it's problems, I do think the graphics are better, there's little gameplay elements I like(40 unit armies for example) and it's supported and I stand by my opinion that CA is actually being more helpful modding wise than in the more well received titles. In regards to animations this is where I really have to disagree with you on. Again it's because I'm a visual type of person I don't feel like animations should be half assed at all. It ruins the immersion for me if animations look sub par or are limited. The only thing I like about Medieval 2's animation system over Rome 2's is how they handle the multiple person combat. But if you set it up right Rome 2 almost gets it right in my opinion. Plus having played Medieval 2 for 7 years until Rome 2's release, I've actually gotten sick of the limited fatalities and generic deaths in Medieval 2. It's gotten almost stale for me.

EDIT:

From an animation perspective, I'm curious, would we be able to increase or change how many types of combat fatalities we could put? Would that be possible? That would actually help out with the staleness for me.
    Last edited by warman222; May 19, 2014 at 12:43 PM.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    In Rome 1 the central building (governor's palace etc.) was used to upgrade settlements, in M2TW that was changed to the walls. If this were changed to the RTW method the town hall would be the central building and get a more important role than just giving you a health bonus and a diplomat.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post

In Rome 1, upgrading the settlement walls didn't upgrade the settlement itself, you had to build the governor's quarters or something to upgrade the city, thus if you wanted you could have huge cities without any walls. I think this would be a nice addition to Med 2, it is possible at all.

Emperor of The Great Unknown's Avatar Primicerius

Very nice indeed.

A couple of wishlists or things to consider.

There are some hardcoded limits that will just come down to player preference here a list of a few of them.

-ability to choose heir
    -ideal ratio of settlements to named characters
    -maximum number of children
    -maximum number of retinue for one character (currently at 8)
    -hit points and combat ability of generals
    -bonuses given for experience points (serious this needs to be changed back to the way it was in RTW)

These are features I would rather have modders the ability to play around with it would be nice to at least unlock these parameters for the community if you are only going to do one release. It would be nice to see something on the scale of CK2 eventually. Anyway great work can't wait until this happens for real.
    Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.
    cant read?

AdmiralThrawn's Avatar Vicarius

Sweet! Have you considered allowing for 40-unit armies and/or inclreasing the max unit size?

Senator

Or the ability to have female generals and FMs.

BarnicleBill1's Avatar Centenarius

Well this is promising, if only I knew how to even begin to help. Good luck!