Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

Default Re: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

The blood effects configuration line is simply missing from all the predefined benchmark profiles. They were apparently never updated by CA to adjust for DLCs like the blood DLC. Since the line is missing, the benchmark will probably use what's configured in the user settings or maybe even enable it by default when it's not disabled explicitly. This will also influence graphics performance if people use different settings. The preferences.txt file from post #3 in this thread already contains gfx_blood_effects true; but AlQamar should actually change it to false, otherwise people without the blood DLC will report different performance. And the gfx_blood_effects false; has to be added to the CPU benchmark configuration file, otherwise performance for the same configuration will differ by 30%.

Btw, I am German too but I still have the blood DLC (wasn't much of a problem to get it).

Default Re: The TWC Total War Benchmark thread - compare your real TW performance

Ok, first CPU result from me:
    47.7FPS: DX9 CPU@1920x1080, no blood effects, 16 threads, i7-4770K@4.3Ghz, uncore 3900Mhz, HT on, 1866Mhz CL9 memory, CF disabled
    50.2FPS: DX9 CPU@1280x1024, no blood effects, 16 threads, i7-4770K@4.3Ghz, uncore 3900Mhz, HT on, 1866Mhz CL9 memory, CF disabled

I also noticed that the recommended '16 thread' setting is quite effective (about 10% plus) with blood effects disabled, but with blood effects enabled, using 0 (=default) yields actually somewhat better performance.

GPU benchmark: High benchmarks from this thread + 16 thread settings + blood effects disabled (probably doesn't matter since there is no battle in the benchmark)
    83,1FPS: 1x7970@1060core@1500mem , CPU like before, 13.8 beta drivers
    144,6FPS: 2x7970@1060core@1500mem , CPU like before, 13.8 beta drivers, framepacing on
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by A Barbarian; August 18, 2013 at 07:39 AM.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

@ Sam - thanks I did do that, but I wasn't sure if it worked.

@ - barbarian - yep, I've specifically set the uncore and core speed together, and I knew how to check that with cpu-z Also, thanks for figuring out my problem for me, I can't believe blood causes so much more stress! Ill try it out once I manage to get out of bed

EDIT: After a couple hours of overclocking and benching, I got these results:

1 - stock settings; 34.3 fps
    2 - 4.4Ghz core overclock; 38.6 fps
    3 - 4.4Ghz core and 4.4Ghz uncore overclock; 39.2
    4 - 4.4Ghz core and 4.4Ghz uncore on 129.5 CPU BUS; 40.2

So, as you can see, in my setup there is not much improvement by increasing the uncore memory. Could be different for others though. There was an improvement by leaving the multipliers for the core and uncore on default, and just increasing the BCLK to the desired speeds, though.

The only thing I can think of to increase my performance is to buy some beastly RAM... I might look for a good 2x2GB kit at 2400Mhz later on, I'll see how much RAM Rome 2 uses first.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; August 16, 2013 at 08:12 PM.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Is there a possibility that 4670k and 4770k owners could do benchmarks on stock clock speeds, and agains on 4.2ghz? Me and a friend are speculating on which cpu would be the best choice for us considering the only form of OC we will be doing is using OC genie to get them to 4.2ghz.

Additionally. Could someone figure out why the results on this site varies so much from the results in this thread? They´re using fraps as an fps counter, but that shouldn´t be it?
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...l-cpu-review/5

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Thank you all for your contribution. And currently most of all barbarian to point out the blood dlc issues. I can literally recall the preferences.script.txt file in sleep but I never thought about the impact in fps. I will contact all participants to verify that and rerun benchmarks if needed. Before any pm or email.

[B [All those who participated yet who owns the blood dlc? Please pm me.[/b]

Splenyi the blood dlc may impact but don't explain your performance issues also confirmed in super pi.

Mate if you need to waste money for ram be sure not to get more than cl11. Btw next year ddr4 I won't do that. You have a basic performance issue. Please replace your mobo as talked. The c2 stepping seems to easy oc haswell aswell.

Btw you perfectly know how much ram rome 2 uses not more than 2 GB at all for the application as they at least need 1-2 GB VRAM and then exceed the 32 bit border of 3.6 GB
    Last edited by alQamar; August 16, 2013 at 09:41 PM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

▲▲▲Please thread rules! I will upload new preferences files with blood disabled that's the safest way for comparable results.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Thanks alQ, btw, the GTX 780 in your results has 84fps, when it actually gets 100. Go back to one of my first post to see the results.
    Splenyi the blood dlc may impact but don't explain your performance issues also confirmed in super pi.
    I may have had a bad overclock at the time, I was in a desperate situation, and it's likely I'll re-run super pi soon.

Mate if you need to waste money for ram be sure not to get more than cl11. Btw next year ddr4 I won't do that. You have a basic performance issue. Please replace your mobo as talked. The c2 stepping seems to easy oc haswell aswell.

Btw you perfectly know how much ram rome 2 uses not more than 2 GB at all for the application as they at least need 1-2 GB VRAM and then exceed the 32 bit border of 3.6 GB
    True, but hopefully, by some miracle, CA is going to make use of the max ram a 32bit app can use. But unlikely.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; August 16, 2013 at 10:24 PM.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Gtx 780: that's not your result taken in atm. Once I am sure about your cpu and super pi please edit your posting with recent benchmarks and logfiles.

Well just because I am aware of lack of results.
    This thread is not reserved for techies and high end rigs please for god sake submit your average desktop and laptop's aswell. Don't be shy !

With the blood pack my cpu benchmark dropped from 52 fps to 42 fps. I know threadrules, but I think this is somewhat important information for everyone who follows the thread. Bloodpatch costs a lot of performance on the CPU side of things.
    My signature is running from the battlefield. A SHAMEFUR DISPRAY!

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

That's ok. I just remind because you asked how obtain it.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    This thread is not reserved for techies and high end rigs please for god sake submit your average desktop and laptop's aswell. Don't be shy !
    Maybe we should also publish the costs of the configuration, that might do the trick to get more 'normal' submissions because it's easy to get great performance if u spend a lot of money
    All the stuff in my PC atm did cost about US $3000, lol.
    Last edited by A Barbarian; August 17, 2013 at 03:37 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Well for a 4670k and 770 gtx with a 256 ssd plus 2TB HDD you pay about 1370 € including windows 8. That's a good price and performance so actually I don't know about prices. I thought about it too for a while but prices are old soon. And then differ in all countries. So bad comparison.
    Sorry I will not start this.

Sure, price is a somewhat fuzzy criteria but if someone spent 4 times as much money you don't feel so bad when you only get half the performance
    Anyway, don't forget to update the thread with the crossfire results

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

added new files to fix the blood patch DLC problem. Blood is now OFF in CPU and GPU benchmark in my attached files. So it does not compromise your results, independent from you have this blood patch or not.

All people that do have blood patch are asked to re-run both benchmarks and submit all logfiles again. Thank you for your time, and sorry for that. God bless that are not much, afaik.

--

Added results for another 3930K with faster RAM and a GTX 680 SLI
    Last edited by alQamar; August 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

hi there! My suggestion: Please run the benchmarks vangoth, at least the CPU benchmark with the attached preset file. And then we can talk again after you submitted your logfiles. Do not like you accusing me telling BS
    If you do not like to spent this little work please check the results section.
    Last edited by alQamar; August 17, 2013 at 11:49 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by A Barbarian View Post
    Sure, price is a somewhat fuzzy criteria but if someone spent 4 times as much money you don't feel so bad when you only get half the performance
    Anyway, don't forget to update the thread with the crossfire results
    true. Well crossfire... I hope to get in general more results with AMD processors and graphics cards. Somehow it feels for me except some tech guys people do not like to read and do this quite simple procedure.

I report objective about things as most I can do here.
    Last edited by alQamar; August 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM.

SamueleD's Avatar Campidoctor

Huzzay! By forcing the game to see my iGPU memory as 1GB I managed to run the GPU benchmarks, I had previously set it to 500MB, but apparently that was not enough.

Anyway, I've redone all the test, as asked by alQamar, unfortunately many of the high quality settings are not supported by my iGPU, so I had to lower a good number of settings by one level.
    Since the settings alQ provided (even lowered to their compatibility level) are absolutely unplayable on my laptop, I also run a benchmark using the default setting the game gives to the iGPU.

Personally I find the default settings a bit laggy, so I play with everything disabled or turned down to it's lowest value, but with large unit sizes, large fleet size, in DX11 mode, with Shader Model 5.

All benchmarks use the tweak for dual cores with HT, setting the thread limit to 4 (4 was better than 8 in my case), and have 1GB of video memory forced in the settings file, and of course blood disabled.

CPU Benchmark 2.txtCPU-Z Report 2.txtalQ GPU Benchmark_adapted.txtdefault settings GPU Benchmark.txt

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Well you said it
    thats just BS..
    But I can forgive you this little rage.
    my experience with AMD CPUs is quite o
    Make your own facts please instead of talking about.

If you think the data is basically not representative please run the CPU benchmarks. If you are unsure how give me a PM and I will do it for you via Teamviewer remotely. It is easy done within 15 mins.
    The data we have now is representative enough as we have 3 results with a 5 GHz AMD processor within that caps at 25 fps. Which is poor and slow either way.

Great effort Sam, how did you force it? I want to try it on my 3220T aswell. Added your results, thanks again SamueleD.
    Last edited by alQamar; August 17, 2013 at 12:42 PM.

SamueleD's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    Great effort Sam, how did you force it? I want to try it on my 3220T aswell. Added your results, thanks again SamueleD.
    You are welcome
    I simply set:
    gfx_video_memory 1073741824; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #

in the preference file (and the benchmarks preference files), and I feel extremely stupid for not having tried it before, and having just stopped at 500MB

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Aragorn don't listen to that. You asked it in the advice thread already. TOTAL WAR does not run fine in case of melee and cam closeups with and AMD processors. It will run but not "fine".
    Please start the game and choose dx9 cpu benchmark as I know you seem to have problems understanding my description. Understood?
    Last edited by alQamar; August 17, 2013 at 04:31 PM.