Thread: Agenda suggestions for the Council of War

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Default Agenda suggestions for the Council of War

Councillors, Observers, Staff,

I propose the following modes of operation and possible Agenda topics for the Council of War:

• I suggest the appropriate Councilors Susbscribe to this forum to receive updates of new threads when they emmerge
    • The staff will post a thread for suggestions and the complete list of councillors that instruct members to PM councillors directly with matters to be discussed
    • The Councillors should raise issues in the Council from the Total War Forum and from the Suggestus which pertain to the Total War Forum
    • The mode of operation will be shaped by the Councillors, it is up to you to make this body effective and to communicate with the staff as the executive branch of TWC
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Default Re: Agenda suggestions for the Council of War

Here are some initial compiled suggestions for the Council of War:

1. Assign them to specific subtasks in the modding community. Requests, PR, facilitation.
    2. Common task with the Council of peace:Artifex proposals
    3. Overview of POTD?
    4. Direct areas of responsibility for specific mods?
    5. Work on a weekly/monthly modding news roundup so all mods get publicity
    6. Run Quarterly Modding Awards
    7. Could they submit an article to the ES? Maybe take over? (while co-ordinating with LV/Justinian)
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Quarterly Modder Awards is too much. Awards half a year is much better.
    Guess taking over ES is a good idea.

I'll post later, because it's 12:20 a.m. and I am tired.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Staff should keep control of ES, because Staff have and do use it to attract modders, I would be against giving the ES to non staff, ES has its uses for Staff. We normally use it to attract and make Mod teams feel good. I've also seen so many non staff people take it over, and most let it die eventually.
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Belisarius
    Staff should keep control of ES, because Staff have and do use it to attract modders, I would be against giving the ES to non staff, ES has its uses for Staff. We normally use it to attract and make Mod teams feel good. I've also seen so many non staff people take it over, and most let it die eventually.
    I agree, but one of us could liason and use it as a promotion tool,?
    or create a new newsletter in the hosted community section for modders,with weekly updates and interviews,ect....? perhaps this would encourage dwellers of the curias backallys to come across to the light now and then,sunglasses will be provided :wink: .

Quote Originally Posted by BL 1
    We serve a two month term so i see a snag here either way.(thanks sor).

We have the go ahead to appoint a non civ from the modding community,so i suggest we discuss this first.these are my suggestions, any others to add?

goscinio ,alpaca ,agreas ,

Publius and Kagemusha won't be around until the weekend so there won't be much action until then.:original:
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; June 22, 2006 at 08:44 PM.

You guys want to write anything, I'll put it in ES for you, I currently have a secret Timetable of interviews the next one coming out soonish.
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Quote Originally Posted by halie satanus
    We have the go ahead to appoint a non civ from the modding community,so i suggest we discuss this first.these are my suggestions, any others to add?

goscinio ,alpaca ,agreas ,
    I second both alpaca and agraes. Unfortunately I have had no contact with goscinio before, so to be fair I cannot say either in favor or disfavor.
    I might also add webbird to the mix of possibilities, although with his imminent Opifex vote I am not sure if he will remain a non civitates for much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix
    1. Assign them to specific subtasks in the modding community. Requests, PR, facilitation.
    I dont think "sphere of influence" persay would be a bad thing - we could specialize more. Decisions would still have to be discussed and agreed upon with other council members though.

2. Common task with the Council of peace:Artifex proposals
    That shouldnt be a problem - is our function mainly to find these individuals, or merely relay nominations from others? Or both?

3. Overview of POTD?
    Well, as POTD is obsolete, I see little use in overviewing it unless we are talking about whether or not we should be rid of these threads altogether Perhaps putting all of them into one consolidated thread (possibly entitled 'POTD Archives' or something similar) and letting that be the end of it.

4. Direct areas of responsibility for specific mods?
    I am not sure many mods would like the idea of a non-staff council telling them where to moderate, and while this could be put into effect, in my view one of three things would happen: 1) This is not enforced and the Council of War gets a reputation right off the bat of being fairly useless. 2) We enforce this policy and probably make "lesser friends" (I'm all for euphamisms) in staff, which such a fledgling council can ill afford, especially when we will be working closely with staff. 3) I am overanalyzing and worrying over things which probably will never happen. But still, better safe than sorry

5. Work on a weekly/monthly modding news roundup so all mods get publicity
    I agree with Halie that a sort of newsletter dealing with recent updates etc could help generate more interest here. And even if it doesnt work as well as we would hope, we lose nothing by trying.

6. Run Quarterly Modding Awards
    I think we may also want to establish certain regulations about this, most prominently what these people "receive" as a result of their winning here. While badges have been suggested in the past, this is somewhat out of the question in my view. However, a simple line in one's signature seems somewhat meager. Perhaps a happy medium will be found.
    Last edited by Publius; June 22, 2006 at 11:55 PM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

That shouldnt be a problem - is our function mainly to find these individuals, or merely relay nominations from others? Or both?
    I think both, i'm rather hoping that along with the COP that we become the voting body on candidates, in the same manner as the CdeC does for Civitates. perhaps we could draw up an amendment to the bill.?

Artifex Act

To qualify as Artifex, the nominee must meet the following Criteria:

* Served the Total War Center or Total War Community with significant input to the total war boards in any capacity other than staff.

* The nominee must be seconded by a Magistrate or Opifex before it can go to a vote. Vote shall be refused to any user who fails the criteria for citizenship with regard to warnings and post count.

Qualifying nominees shall be voted upon by the council of war for a period of one week, and a majority will be sufficient to decorate a user as an Artifex. A user who passes the vote shall be awarded the rank of 'Artifex' . A nominee who fails to achieve a majority is eligible to be nominated again after a three month period.
    It's just an idea so far, so lets not get the handbags out just yet.

I'm no proposal writer but this seems like an obvious move to me as we are represenstative of the modding community. I drew up a list a while ago though some of the possible candidates have since become civs the others still stand.

Agraes,
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=4340
    Dragases1453,
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=7482
    apocalypsis,
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=1891
    Ferres
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=1487
    KillerXguy
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=6795
    Dirty peasant DP is a GOD. imo
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=1357
    Alpaca
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=6322
    repman
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=6154
    Riczu 74
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=4887
    Laca
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=2406
    Goscinio,
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=815

Well, as POTD is obsolete, I see little use in overviewing it unless we are talking about whether or not we should be rid of these threads altogether Perhaps putting all of them into one consolidated thread (possibly entitled 'POTD Archives' or something similar) and letting that be the end of it.
    POTD sees sporadic traffic, but at times attracts a new crop of posters, so i think it's fine as is, although putting the individual threads into one sub forum would tidy it up maybe just "Screenshots and Images".

I am not sure many mods would like the idea of a non-staff council telling them where to moderate, and while this could be put into effect, in my view one of three things would happen: 1) This is not enforced and the Council of War gets a reputation right off the bat of being fairly useless. 2) We enforce this policy and probably make "lesser friends" (I'm all for euphamisms) in staff, which such a fledgling council can ill afford, especially when we will be working closely with staff. 3) I am overanalyzing and worrying over things which probably will never happen. But still, better safe than sorry
    I agree lets not rattle any cages in our first days,(we have two months to do that ) as i understand it the TW mods already have specific areas to moderate anyway.

I agree with Halie that a sort of newsletter dealing with recent updates etc could help generate more interest here. And even if it doesnt work as well as we would hope, we lose nothing by trying.
    As LV has already agreed to let us use ES for promotion i say we go with that, but would it be possible to add a sticky for it in the hosted community section?. modders who rarely leave these sections probably never read it, or even know where it is.(or is that just me )

I think we may also want to establish certain regulations about this, most prominently what these people "receive" as a result of their winning here. While badges have been suggested in the past, this is somewhat out of the question in my view. However, a simple line in one's signature seems somewhat meager. Perhaps a happy medium will be found.
    Prometheus suggested something about this, and i think its a good idea, how about we have a sticky page here with a list of current winners and an archive of past awards(i know there is one but i can't find it), then we could have a small icon that could be placed in sigs(a green laurel?) or just the word "Awards"which could to link to our page. it would help to bring people to the the COW fora, even if only to gnash teeth and groan at not winning. :original:

I guess once we have ourselves organised our first major job will be tidying up the TW sections to make them more efficient, so rather than coming up with suggestions one at a time perhaps we need a list of threads we feel need reorganising, Eg: moving the Tutorials back into the Mod workshop? it would be good to get feedback from the TW modderators on thier ideas.

And sorry in advance to whoever gets lumbered with our suggestions. :wink:
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; July 03, 2006 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I
    Agree but i think there should be one in June/July (why it hasn't started yet??) and the next January.

And from the list:

Agraes,
    Dragases1453,
    apocalypsis,
    Ferres
    KillerXguy
    Dirty peasant
    Alpaca
    repman
    Riczu 74
    Laca
    Gosinio

i would remove KillerXguy, and i'm not sure about Gosinio for now

I was wondering how many modders can be nominated for the artifex at once and how often the nominations/votes will be held? - because i also how some great candidates:

Idomenes
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=2918
    Monkwarrior
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?userid=217
    Orb:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=2826
    vlad:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=1584

About the awards:

Best Modding Team Award

Most Promising Mod Award

Best Map Designer Award

Best Map Award

Best Coder Award

Best Modder Award

Best RTW era Mod Award
    (i'm wondering also about pre RTW Era Mod - but there are only 2 - Hegemonia and RoP)
    Best BI era Mod Award

Later (or something) Eras Mod Award - from 8-18 cent

Best Fantasy Mod Award

Best Unit Maker Award (or something - merged skinner and modeler award)

and maybe Best 2D Art Maker Award - not related to units but to interface, screens, banners...

Artifex Act

To qualify as Artifex, the nominee must meet the following Criteria:
    • Served the Total War Center or Total War Community with significant input to the total war boards in any capacity other than staff.

• The nominee must be seconded by a Magistrate or Opifex before it can go to a vote. Vote shall be refused to any user who fails the criteria for citizenship with regard to warnings and post count.
    Qualifying nominees shall be voted upon in the Curia for a period of one week, and a majority will be sufficient to decorate a user as an Artifex. A user who passes the vote shall be awarded the rank of 'Artifex' . A nominee who fails to achieve a majority is eligible to be nominated again after a three month period.
    Artifex questions:

- Public Polls (like Opifex) or Private Polls (within Council)? Personally I would move for Public ones, although they would have to be moved outside of this forum (or else permission masks would need to be reset to allow for this).
    - I assume we are considered "magistrates" or does it have to be a staff member?

General Policy Questions:

- Should policy be debated upon in these forums, or via PM and MSN?
    - Are we going to divy up different sections of the Total War Forums to 'specialize' in certain areas, as the Council of Peace already has?

I have split a new thread out to discuss the mod (I missed the whole discussion in here)

Agenda Suggestion: The entire CoW makes a mad dash out to the store to get diapers, wipes, bottles, and all of other periphenelia to relieve our dear member, Halie Satanus, from the confines of his new prison called "having a beautiful baby girl." If these items are not brought to his immediate relief, we may in fact lose our illustrious fellow councilman to that ill fated foe, "family."

Seriously though, congrats to the first (that I know of) member of the Council of War to have a baby, may she be an integral member of the future generations of twc!
    Cheers mate,
    Publius

I know this is techinicaly class as grave digging but this thread is the most relevant for what I have to say.

I take my role as a CoW special guest with advisory status very seriously and therefore I would like CoW members to discuss the topic of Dead mods which still have hosted forums.

I have started a new thread in this sub forum and would like people to give their opinion.
    Under the Patronage of Imb39
    Patron of julianus heraclius, TheFirstONeill, Boz and midnite

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by king Rick View Post
    I know this is techinicaly class as grave digging but this thread is the most relevant for what I have to say.

I take my role as a CoW special guest with advisory status very seriously and therefore I would like CoW members to discuss the topic of Dead mods which still have hosted forums.

I have started a new thread in this sub forum and would like people to give their opinion.
    Can you provide a list of these "Dead" Mods? A next step would be to contact the team leaders and ascertain their status.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Blog Entries

Can you provide a list of these "Dead" Mods? A next step would be to contact the team leaders and ascertain their status.

​​

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Blog Entries

​​

The House of Baltar