Thread: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Congratz atthias
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

So what happens if there's no Curator?

Also, I had a thought. Does anyone know why the position is called Curator, rather than Consul, for example? I feel like if the position was more geared toward a leadership role like that rather than the current, more administrative role, it could perhaps provide for a more dynamic and interesting Curia, as people take more initiative in leading rather than simply managing, potentially resulting in more ideas and proposals, as they take ownership of their term?
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto de Voltaire View Post
    We run in circles and cry hysterically, of course.
    If you're not into that, we can go by the Constitutional standard that the most senior Censor takes over day to day administration of the Curia until a new Curator is elected.

Also, I had a thought. Does anyone know why the position is called Curator, rather than Consul, for example? I feel like if the position was more geared toward a leadership role like that rather than the current, more administrative role, it could perhaps provide for a more dynamic and interesting Curia, as people take more initiative in leading rather than simply managing, potentially resulting in more ideas and proposals, as they take ownership of their term?
    I guess it is one of those historical relics from a time when people with little knowledge of Latin introduced lots of Latin sounding names and titles, with the association of Curator with Curia certainly being intuitive. In fact, Brewster endeavoured to take a more leader-like approach to the office and did very well in my opinion, so I do not think the name of the office is that much of an impediment.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    If you're not into that, we can go by the Constitutional standard that the most senior Censor takes over day to day administration of the Curia until a new Curator is elected.

I guess it is one of those historical relics from a time when people with little knowledge of Latin introduced lots of Latin sounding names and titles, with the association of Curator with Curia certainly being intuitive. In fact, Brewster endeavoured to take a more leader-like approach to the office and did very well in my opinion, so I do not think the name of the office is that much of an impediment.
    That's indeed the case when there's no curator at all. If nobody applies I believe I am to remain as incumbent Curator until someone does apply and we can move that election to a vote. Iirc there's a precedent for this too but I might be mistaking. Can't find it asap in the Constitution either.

As for the name. Iskar basically lined it out. As Curator it's under your own discretion to figure out for yourself how much leadership you want to exert. I'll admit that the administrative burden is something that after more than a year in office is starting to deeply annoy me and is one of the reasons I think it's best for someone else to take over.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es

Yeah I didn't mean it was an impediment, but I figure changing it to Consul could maybe encourage more of that sort of leadership, something the Curia could use more of perhaps? I know it's a minor thing, I'm just throwing out ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    As for the name. Iskar basically lined it out. As Curator it's under your own discretion to figure out for yourself how much leadership you want to exert. I'll admit that the administrative burden is something that after more than a year in office is starting to deeply annoy me and is one of the reasons I think it's best for someone else to take over.
    I know assistants are appointed are already (somewhat unofficially I believe?) but maybe it could be an idea to spread the workload further with official positions such as Aediles?
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE

Quote Originally Posted by ♔atthias♔ View Post
    thank you all for voting for me I hope I will not fail you this time
    Congrats old boy.

Blog Entries

I know assistants are appointed are already (somewhat unofficially I believe?) but maybe it could be an idea to spread the workload further with official positions such as Aediles?
    I get the idea but it's not something I would support. A lot comes down to chemistry between Assistant and Curator. Lifthrasir(obviously the best example) has a great way in reacting proactively on what my needs were from an assistant. When you make their position electable you can very well end up with sharing your term with someone you can absolutely not work with together. This may be the bleakest scenario imaginable but it is something that would ruin the "fun" for me.

Problem now with appointing them is finding someone who has the time and dedication for it. The pool of active citizens grows smaller by the erosion of time and then finding someone who had the time to take up the role can be rather challenging. In my opinion at least.

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

If you're not into that, we can go by the Constitutional standard that the most senior Censor takes over day to day administration of the Curia until a new Curator is elected

I'm rather too busy to fully do justice to the office of Curator this coming term, otherwise I would consider applying myself. Although if the ship does need steering temporarily, then I shall endeavour to do my best, pending a constitutional check for Brew remaining incumbent or not. Hopefully someone will pop out of the woodwork and apply quicksharpish though
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; August 09, 2018 at 10:19 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Section II, Article II, point 4.
    If there is no applicant, the application period is prolonged and the incumbent will remain in office until a replacement has been elected.
    So no worries, if nobody comes forward we'll leave it open until someone does. No problem for me.

I nominate Brewster for curator

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

thanks for al the congratulations guys
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Ah, my specialty.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Yes, I was literally thinking of you as my great idol in these things when I wrote those humble lines.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

WE HAVE NO CURATOR!

​(well, not yet anyway)

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    So no worries, if nobody comes forward we'll leave it open until someone does. No problem for me.
    Okay So long as it doesn't become an inconvenience for you.

I would apply, if I was eligible. Oh well.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Where’s Pike when we need him. !

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Where’s Pike when we need him. !
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; August 11, 2018 at 05:41 AM. Reason: I love you really Pike~

I nominate Halie for Curator

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    I nominate Halie for Curator
    I fear that I have already tried that.