Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD vs Intel

HMMcKamikaze's Avatar Semisalis

Default AMD vs Intel

Im looking to buy a computer for around $700 if possible so I know I'm not going to get something amazing, but at one site there are two comps for the same price, with basically the same specs, but with different processors. One has AMD, and one has Intel. So out of the two below, which is overall a better choice?

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 519K 64-bit processor with Intel® EM64T technology1
    (3.06GHz, 533MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache)

AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ processor1
    (2.2GHz, 2000MHz system bus, 512KB L2 cache)

Spart's Avatar Senator

Default Re: AMD vs Intel

That AMD is a lot better, IMO. Lower clock speed but a better performance.
    I would never get an Intel which is not a Conroe.
    Member of S.I.N
    Finns to the rescue!

How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
    -Søren Kierkegaard

Well Im aware that AMD works more efficiently than Intel, but I wasn't sure if the difference between processors was too big for AMD to overcome.

Incinerate_IV's Avatar Burn baby burn

Both of those are a bit outdated.

Processor wise the AMD one is better, but if you are buying a gaming PC, it all depend on the video card.
    THE PC Hardware Buyers Guide
    Desktop PC: Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.8 Ghz | Swiftech Apogee GT waterblock + MCP655 + 2 x 120mm rad | Biostar Tforce 965PT | G.Skill 4gb (2 x 2gb) DDR2-800 | Radeon HD 4870 512mb | 250GB + 160GB hard drive | Antec 900 | 22" Widescreen

Alright, well the gfx cards are different too.

Intel Comp: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 (GMA900)
    Up to 224MB of shared video memory

AMD Comp: NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 GPU
    Up to 128MB of shared video memory
    PCI Express (PCI-E x16) slot available

And I know both processors are outdated, but it's still better than what I have, which is and Celeron D Processor (2.53 Ghz)

And since I have a dell I can't upgrade so I'm just trying to get something that will last a year or two without needing major upgrades.

when you go for Intel only go for the Conroe, but for $700 that might be a bit hard so definately take the AMD
    About the videocard: a good card doesnt need to cost much to outperform an integrated one. Especially for a game like RTW and M2TW where the amount of system memory is important too. the integrated takes away a chunk of the system memory, so you will take some performance hit there too.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/..._for_under_100
    and for performance:
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

PS if you can get your hands on a GeForce 6600GT cheap, dont hesitate. those are the best cards price/performancewise, but hard to get in a store nowadays

None of those are going to play todays games well.

Choose the parts yourself if you can, you'll get better bang for the buck then

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by HMMcKamikaze
    Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 519K 64-bit processor with Intel® EM64T technology1
    (3.06GHz, 533MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache)

AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ processor1
    (2.2GHz, 2000MHz system bus, 512KB L2 cache)
    Do you know the model names/numbers of those processors?
    If you do you can easily compare them here:
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

I'm conviced the AMD is faster by a huge margin, but it's always nice to check the benchmarks.
    Last edited by Erik; October 15, 2006 at 12:42 PM.

If I were to get the best video card for around $150 what would it be then?

I think you should be able to get a Geforce 7600GT for that price. Though i paid 160€ for my 7600 GS

Well I live in the US, and everything is cheaper here.

And I know I could probably get better parts if I get them individually, but I really don't have a large budget since I'm saving for the computer all on my own.

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

Buy a Radeon 1300 XT for 89$ i think, although you might get it cheaper on newegg , its the best budget card around or if you can't get that get a Geforce 7300 GT.

Edit: For just around 50$ more u can get a GeForce 7900 GS for 200$ i think its the best, the Radeon X1800 GTO and the 7900GS are interchangable in term's of performance but the Nvidia is 50$ cheaper.
    Last edited by Darkragnar; October 15, 2006 at 12:45 PM.
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

Alright, well the gfx cards are different too.

Intel Comp: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 (GMA900)
    Up to 224MB of shared video memory

AMD Comp: NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 GPU
    Up to 128MB of shared video memory
    PCI Express (PCI-E x16) slot available
    Both are integrated graphics (ie: not a seperate card but a chip on the mobo) and all integrated graphics are crap.
    It's OK if you only use office applications, but modern 3D games are pretty much out of the question.
    I don't think you can play Rome:Total War in either system, let alone M2TW.

I suspect the AMD system has the least crappy graphics.
    But I don't know much about Intel graphics because they play no role on the gaming market.

And the AMD system has a PCI Express slot, so at least you can buy a seperate graphics card for it.

----
    My advice: don't buy either of these if you want to play games on it.
    For office apps it's alright, but then I think your old computer is also good enough.

But if you MUST, then go for the AMD, defenately the least weak of them both.

My current computer can run MTW2, I played the demo and it worked fine.

I only have Intel Celeron D Processor (2.53 Ghz)
    512 Ram
    Geforce FX 5200

I think I will go with the AMD, since everyone here thinks its better, and I know I won't be able to play games on high settings, but as long as its an improvement over what I have now, I can upgrade it in the future, and it should last a year or two before an upgrade, its worth it.

Well I live in the US, and everything is cheaper here.

And I know I could probably get better parts if I get them individually, but I really don't have a large budget since I'm saving for the computer all on my own.
    Building your own is always cheaper than buying a complete system from companies like Dell.
    I suspect you can buy the exact same systems for at least $100 less, if you buy every component seperately.
    Those companies make their living from the fact that most people don't know how to operate a screwdriver.

btw: A 7600 GT costs about 190 euro's here, but everything is more expensive in the Netherlands.

My current computer can run MTW2, I played the demo and it worked fine.

I only have Intel Celeron D Processor (2.53 Ghz)
    512 Ram
    Geforce FX 5200

I think I will go with the AMD, since everyone here thinks its better, and I know I won't be able to play games on high settings, but as long as its an improvement over what I have now, I can upgrade it in the future, and it should last a year or two before an upgrade, its worth it.
    It's not that much of an improvement.
    The new AMD processor is faster, but your old videocard is better.

Is your old videocard PCI-E? 'cos then you can put it in your new system
    Last edited by Erik; October 15, 2006 at 12:52 PM.

I just upgraded for M2TW with an ATI x1600 pro 512 card. Paid $160.00 including tax at Bestbuy. The game looks and runs beautifull on my AMD64 (older than god) 2800 with 2 GB of ram

My old video card is PCI, which is where the problem lies. There are no more decent PCI cards available. and my gfx card might be better than the onboard one for the AMD comp, but i would buy the 7600 GT, which definitely is an improvement.

Civitate

Well, the X850XT is around the same price as the 7600GT, you might want to get the ATi, it is better than the nVidia.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

My old video card is PCI, which is where the problem lies. There are no more decent PCI cards available. and my gfx card might be better than the onboard one for the AMD comp, but i would buy the 7600 GT, which definitely is an improvement.
    If your going to buy a graphics card anyways, why buy a computer with onboard graphics?
    I think the onboard graphics costs at least $50, and that's just a waste if your not going to use it.
    Can't you just buy a computer that already has a good graphics?

Why limit yourself to those two models, if they aren't realy what your looking for?

Well actually I'm quite happy with those computers, but I'm looking into them because for the price of $700 I'm not only getting the computer but a 17in flat screen monitor, which I would like since my current one is enormous, and takes up way too much space. If i didn't get a package deal I would end up buying a monitor separately, so this way it cuts costs down by atleast $100.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast