Thread: CTD when making islands independent regions

Default CTD when making islands independent regions

As the title suggests, I'm getting a CTD when I try to convert some islands into their own regions. According to the log, the CTD occurs while loading map_regions.tga, map.rwm is not rebuilt, no further information in the log. I can resolve the CTD by including a single tile of another region on the island or conversely by giving the island region a single tile on the "mainland". I recognize that this text explanation may be a bit confusing so I've illustrated the problem in the spoiler box below.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

To begin with, we have two mainland regions. One of them controls this island.

Now we add a new region on the mainland. Everything still works fine which indicates that we're not at the 200 region limit, no issues with the region setup in descr_strat, the regions text file, etc. I.e. I haven't made any errors in doing something as simple as making a new region.

Now I move the new region onto the island. The new region controls 100% of the island and 0% of the mainland. This results in a CTD while loading map_regions.tga.

I can resolve this CTD by giving the new region a single tile of the mainland...

... or giving a mainland region a single tile on the island.

Despite whatever benefit it may have for AI performance, I'd prefer not to have single tiles of the island region on the mainland or vice versa. I'm almost completely certain that TheFirstONeill encountered this issue because Thera has a whole bunch of islands suffering from this bug (they were obviously set up to be their own regions but trying to make them so results in this CTD). So, does anyone else know how to resolve this?

Default Re: CTD when making islands independent regions

Yeah that'd be the 20 max land-mass issue thing. Depending on what your map looks like, you might be able to get away with linking up all the major areas into one 'mass' which would give you 19 possible truly independent islands to play with. e.g. for a world map Russia would need to have a tiny bit of land shared with Alaska.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

There is one positive aspect of the 'pixel on mainland' solution - it will get the island included in AI invasion decisions as it is now a 'bordering' region. I normally use that to get the AI to invade islands like Crete and Cyprus, Rhodes. Simply hide the pixel(s) under dense forest so it doesn't show as separate region.

Another arbitrarily low hard coded limit rears its ugly head, and right when I least expected it! Well, thanks for letting me know guys.

I tried extending the region out into the sea a bit and adding the mainland tile to this extension but the game isn't having any of it. The mainland tile must be legitimately on the island or the island will count against the landmass limit. I suppose the next best thing is to hide the mainland tile behind a mountain and/or under some trees as Gigantus suggested. Of course, the mainland tile will still be detectable with the right-mouse button no matter what.