Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The land of beauty -A Hiraizumi Fujiwara campaign in ROTS .

Default Re: The land of beauty -A Hiraizumi Fujiwara campaign in ROTS .

Marriage and binge watching Narcos meant that i had forgotten updating this one. Now i am back.
    Thanks for commenting man, Turkafinwe. +rep.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Chapter 7.

Winter 1178, while Uzen loved Tadahira, the people of Fukushima had by now started loving Kunihira, for almost a year now he had exempted them from tax, while he didn't built great gardens or lovely palaces, he built great walls to protect them and the majestic flagposts and towering watchtowers displayed his presence despite his being in Uzen. This was made especially clear when he sent Shoni Masatura, a poet and former courtier of the Kubota chieftain in Fukushima, a man people loved to Fukushima as overseer.

All this while, the Kubota wondered why there were still no rebellions in the occupied cities of Fukushima and Uzen !

Up north in Ugo province, Hidehira's teeth creaked of the extreme cold. Due to a major accident on the mountain road, a major part of the supplies had been lost. He had also had to endure several raids by local villagers who thought that he was here to raid them. But then there was lady Kon !

One particular winter day when the cold was so extreme that he had shut his tent flaps as tight as he could and his one loyal bodyguard(Who stayed in his tent) had burned several incense stones to produce and conserve heat. Suddenly there was a knock on the tent, Hidehira's bodyguard approached with caution, but lo, who was standing there but5 lady Kon, his late wife's young adviser and a lady with the face and the curves to please any man of any age.

In those times, there was little to distinguish the leader's tent from any other by exterior judgement, so she was taken aback when she saw the rich Han silk and the gold vessel. But before she could turn back, a mighty gale of wind hit her and both she and the bodyguard were thrown inside the tent.

"Close the tent already" barked Hidehira.

After the bodyguard had obeyed the command, Hidehira asked "Fair Lady, don't be afraid, tell me, why are you running around in this devious snow?"

"My lord, my tent was blown by a powerful gale of wind, so i ran up to the first tent i could find, i am sorry, i will leave immediately " she replied.

"NO NO NO" shouted Hidehira.

"I wouldn't be able to call myself a leader if i let you out in that gale, you served my late wife well, you may wait here till nature settles down" said Hidehira.

And that is how one thing led to the other, within a few weeks, Lady Kon had become his personal adviser.

Nevertheless, despite nature's wild fury, Hidehira continued to march forward towards the settlement of Ugo, sometimes using forced marches as well. His army was severely demoralized. The result was spectacular, by early spring, Hidehira found himself ripe to take Ugo, for a day or two he contemplated whether taking it himself was plausible, but when his spies reported that it was quite possible Hidehira surged forward, it would thus be him and not any of his ambitious sons who would take over the star of the Kubota !

Ugo was built on a gently steeping hill and was protected by a wooden palisade. But the battle that took place there on that spring day in 1179 coulds have easily gone the other way had the Kubota general, a man called Minashimatu, not been a 17 year old boy with zero experience !

However, Minashimatu personally commanded a squad of bomb throwers and he also had two Naginata levies and two archer levies.

Before the battle started Hidehira gave some advice to his various units.

"Archers will fire only on the bomb throwers first, they are our chief target, try to get Minashimatu, try to stay i an open formation so that the cursed Kubota arrows won't connect"
    Then turning to his personal bodyguard he said, "The enemy have no horsemen in their army, i intend to use that as an advantage, once our archers have softened up those bomb throwers and the infantrymen have marched forward, i will flank them and overpower their army", his bodyguards shouted yes in unison.

Thus with this plan, the Hiraizumi army marched forward, the bombs were really powerful, the Kubota were also launching them expertly, while half of their projectiles were misfiring, the other half were hitting like heavenly punishment upon his men and before long, one of the archer units in his army decided to turn back, Hidehira shouted "Come back cowards, is this what your fathers did as well?", this seemed to return the courage back in their feeble hearts and they started launching projectiles with renewed vigour.

But after a few more minutes, the limited supply of explosives stopped. Now Hidehira surged forward with his infantry. Before long, naginata clashed with naginata and blood flowed freely, finally, Hidehira used his cavalry as a pincer and managed to find Hirashimatu himself, in his youth he might have told his bodyguards to wait and resorted to one on one combat, but in this case, there would be no such favors !

After the death of their leader, the remaining Kubota army quickly lost morale and fled. Hidehira did not pursue them, knowing well that they were too few to cause trouble.

That evening, Hidehira visited the shrine of the god of Ugo, a deity common to all Fujiwara in his royal garb, there he promised to rebuild the settlement and the people of Ugo cheered. Needless to say, the Fujiwara family had united at last and the civil war was over !
    Last edited by Owlparrot3; July 03, 2018 at 03:46 AM.

Good update! I really like your choice of pictures - they add a lot to the feeling of your story (and I personally like the style of the last picture. I think it's this japanese color woodcut? from the 18th century).

A quick and decisive battle, I wonder if it would have been more costly if Minashimatu were older. But he wasn't and Hidehira made himself popular in Ugo, he definitely knows how to fight and how to please the populus.

Yes, Hidehira is a champion still at such an old age. But don't worry about ambition, in Japan, sons don't betray their fathers that easily.

Thanks for commenting, +rep.

Chapter 8.

News of the victory was greeted with great happiness by everyone in the realm. Celebrations and fairs were held all over the realm as people took to the streets. No, this was not national pride like today, such thinking did not exist back then, it was simply a pride that the one who protects and leads us, is doing a good job at it.

In his court at Uzen, Kunihira gave a fiery speech about how he and his father had vanquished those mangy Kubota pretenders and how such punishment would be metted out to any others, who would wish to betray the Hiraizumi family.

In a field outside town, Tadahira and his friends had been enjoying themselves drinking and playing when the messenger arrived with the news.

"Hmm, its good that we, the Fujiwara are finally united under one banner, now Kubota and Hiraizumi can march forward as one" he said.

"Straight to Kyoto" chipped in his friends.

"Yes, straight to Kyoto" he chorused .

At Ugo itself, Hidehira's fertile mind could only think about the Minamoto now.

Beautiful summer
    bountiful summer

the soul of the sun
    down on the earth

the fields are filled
    the drinks are chilled

the flies they run
    the bees have fun

Hidehira sighed, despite his best tries, there was no way that this poet was going to describe the beauty of summer for real. In reality, no mortal, however great can describe summer, or for that matter nature itself. It cannot be captured. Who knew this better than Hidehira. Both his sons had been born in winters, that is why summer had always been something special for Hidehira.

Kunihira had been an exploration, Hidehira had been married at a late age. Miken was as tender as ever and it had been a quiet summer morning, he had suddenly stormed into their bedroom full of passion, of love for Miken. At that same time, the sunlight had also stormed into their room.

Tadahira had been something more gentle, the one difference had been that the time was a cool summer night. It had been 6 long years since Kunihira's birth and the couple had all but given up hope of another child. In such condition, with intoxication and despair, it had happened.

'The way of the bow is noble, the one who wishes to master it has to face great difficulties to do so, but after he endures the path to it, he becomes as noble as his way.'
    Fujiwara Kunihira is his edict of the bow.

With the newfound peace and a return to Fukushima, Kunihira continued to write his edicts which would become legendary in the future. In summer 1179, he wrote 'The edict of the bow' , it was a universal piece of poetry through which all bowmen were to learn the basic principles of archery. With several poems dedicated to gods and other mythological creatures, it was also a wonderful book for religion.
    Last edited by Owlparrot3; July 10, 2018 at 11:21 AM.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Two lovely chapters! The end of civil strife in the Fujiwara family and peace and proseperity mixed with plans of grandeur. To Kyoto!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

The beautiful summer provides a nice contrast to the explosions and bow-shots in the battle. Straight to Kyoto, indeed!

To Turkafinwe- Yes, to Kyoto, i hadn't known it would turn out to be so catchy, glad that you liked it. Peace and prosperity have their own ups and downs. Technically though, we are not at peace, we are at war with the Minamoto, but neither of the two can attack each other so its a peace practically.
    Thanks for commenting ad +rep.

To Alwyn - Yes, summer is a very beautiful thing. I am trying hard to conjure up the magic of nature in this AAR, glad that you liked it.
    Thanks for commenting and +rep.

waveman's Avatar Decanus

I like the incorporation of the poetry and reference to heaven, it adds a nice atmosphere. Also pretty cool to see a rots aar!

My AARs/writing: Link
    Letters for writing: þ, ð æ Æ

Quote Originally Posted by waveman View Post
    I like the incorporation of the poetry and reference to heaven, it adds a nice atmosphere. Also pretty cool to see a rots aar!
    Thanks for commenting, plus rep.

Yes, poetry does add a lot to a story, though in this case, the plan was to write bad poetry !
    (Can't rep you atm though because i repped your aar)

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

I agree with waveman comment here I love the poetry that you threw in
    well done +rep
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Yes, thanks Atthias for commenting, plus rep.

Please keep reading and commenting.
    I will try to make it as beautiful as i can !

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    Yes, thanks Atthias for commenting, plus rep.

Please keep reading and commenting.
    I will try to make it as beautiful as i can !
    I wil surely continue reading this with you continually improving writing I will have to

D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Chapter 9.

One day, on a cool Autumn evening at Ugo, Hidehira had been resting alone, he had instructed the attendants not to disturb him or light the lamps. To him, the slow approach of darkness from dusk to night was always something curiously peaceful. Here, in the approaching darkness, he always felt a peace, a peace which a man feels when he gets away from the world of men. Unlike his palace at Miyagi, his palace at Ugo had no view of village and markets. Instead, he had built it on a small cliff overlooking the vastness of the swiftly darkening ocean.

"Just minutes ago, the sun had reigned supreme over the horizon, how did the moon take over?" asked his younger self.

"I don't know, but it happened gradually, slow at first, fast later" said he.

"Don't you notice, the only reminder of the sun now is that thin orange line at the far end of the sky, surrounded by black and the occasional purple and red" said his younger self.

"Hmm, i guess it happens, but who told you that the moon is any inferior to the sun eh?" asked Hidehira.

At this, his younger self seemed to be confused.

"My knees might creak and my hands might pain, but haven't i been the one to conquer all that territory?" he asked to his younger self.

His younger self grew even more confused. It was rapidly dissolving into the approaching darkness. Hidehira smiled. Then suddenly a blast of light appeared, brighter than anything in that room.

"My lord, lady Kon wants to speak to you" said the attendant.

He had known well enough that the lord would punish him for disturbing him thus, but the bag of gold coins offered as prize by lady Kon was giving him the courage to do it.

So he was surprised when Hidehira replied "Send her in".

Lady Kon entered a minute later, she wore a red dress and her graceful walk and fair legs always made Hidehira happy. After entering, she motioned with a finger, asking if she could light the lamps. To this, Hidehira replied by motioning one finger. It said, you may light one.

"Why are you here my love?" asked Hidehira.

"My lord, i heard the courtiers of the palace talking about the Minamoto clan" said Kon.

"Hmm, are they planning rebellion?" asked Hidehira suddenly.

"No, no, they were just discussing rumours about the Minamoto lord's hate for you and how now is the best time to start planning serious war against him" said Kon.

"Why is now the best time?" asked Hidehira.

"They said a merchant told them, that the Minamoto lord is sick and his children have quarreled with him, their own father!" said Kon with an air of disbelief.

"Hmm, i am considering leaving Ugo for the frontlines soon, but it is saddening to hear about any father having to face his son's anger" said Hidehira.

To this, the lady did not reply.

"You know why the moon exists my love?" asked Hidehira.

"Why?" she asked.

"The autumn moon exists so that it can bridge that dangerous gap, the dark night, between two suns, it exists so that the new sun has a base to build on, it is a relic of the previous sun" said Hidehira.

The lady stayed silent. For a few more minutes, neither of the two spoke, then suddenly Hidehira cried "Oh no, i had promised the Kubota nobility that i would feast with them tonight".

At Fukushima, Kunihira had also been wondering the same thing, when will the Minamoto actually make good their thereat to 'Raze Miyagi'. It was his courtier who broke him the news when Kunihira had been visiting the new rice paddy farm that he had constructed at Fukushima.

"My lord, the sons of the Minamoto lord have quarreled with him and betrayed him" said the courtier.

"What?, how dare they disobey their own father?" said a shocked Kunihira.

"Apparently, they view him as an old man, unfit to rule" said the courtier.

"NO, sons should never betray their fathers regardless of their position" said Kunihira.

"Yes lord" the courtier agreed.

"Hmm, bring me my scrolls, this is a very major point" said Kunihira pointing towards the market which served as the administrative part of Fukushima.

"How mighty and beautiful this wall will be when it is finished" said Tadahira. It was a very gloomy late autumn dawn and Tadahira was supervising the construction of a new wall to protect the city.

His troop of courtiers all replied in unison "Yes sir".

Ever since Kunihira had left for Fukushima, Tadahira had restarted his building projects with a new vigour. Hutments, farms, hunting lodges, and now a palisade wall!
    In that age, such a large construction of wood was also viewed as something glorious, especially in that northern part of Japan.

After the ceremony of its setting stone was over, Tadahira retired to drink some refreshments under a tree, it was during this that one of his bodyguards, a noble by the name of Hitoke, came over to him.

"My lord, i wish to speak" said Hitoke.

"What Hitoke?" asked Tadahira.

"I have heard rumors that our lord Hidehira, your father, has started making plans for a campaign of aggression against the Minamoto" said Hitoke.

"So?" asked Tadahira, knowing well that there must be something else to this.

"With your elder brother Kunihira at its forefront" said Hitoke.

Tadahira sighed. After half a minute of silence, he replied back immediately.

"So? He is a heir, its his duty to prove himself on the field" said Tadahira.

"But................but my lord, what about you, you are the one who has actually led the forces of your esteemed family and you are the re............................

"NO, don't speak to me on this matter anymore, leave me alone" barked Tadahira.

Back in his personal quarters that day, Tadahira started writing

"Respected father,
    Greetings. I heard about the new campaign
    Haven't i conquered Uzen on my own right, shouldn't a battle hardened general be preferred over someone who is yet to lead against a real enemy .............................................................................................................................................................

But a minute later he tore the scroll and took out another

"Let me frame it correctly" said he to himself.
    Last edited by Owlparrot3; July 11, 2018 at 10:43 AM.

Citizen

whoa interesting developments here
    seems a period of turmoil is ahead again
    look forward to it

Content Emeritus

I like how you have shown the situation for the three main characters in their own respective way as well as Hidehira's story about the moon. Possible strife brewing between the two brothers? Consider myself intrigued on how things wil develop. + rep

whoa interesting developments here
    seems a period of turmoil is ahead again
    look forward to it
    Yes, it might be turmoil, or it might be good natured competition. Thanks for commenting.

I like how you have shown the situation for the three main characters in their own respective way as well as Hidehira's story about the moon. Possible strife brewing between the two brothers? Consider myself intrigued on how things will develop. + rep
    Yes, i decided to dabble a bit in magical realism. This AAR showed me that writing peacetime stories is a good experience as well.
    Thanks for commenting and for that rep you gave me.

Chapter 10.

Hidehira made good his promise of war immediately, like thunder he and his men marched to Uzen, Tadahira was sent to Fukushima and another general, a brother of the Kubota warlords, Shoni Matsumota was sent to Ugo. By winter 1179, the Chiba clan had declared their support against the Kamakura Minamoto and the clan was now in a state of war.

Hidehira was just happy that both of his sons were excited and supportive of each other for making war upon the enemies.

However, waging war proved to be more harder than ever and except for the aggression on the borders, neither Hidehira, nor the Minamoto could do much !

One of the first things that Kunihira had ever done since he felt independent from his father was building a service of runners, bribe takers and merchant spies. The episode with the hunters in the mountains that had given him news of his brother's attack on Uzen had further strengthened this idea in his mind.

It had been a quiet and chilly late autumn morning when a strange man came into Fukushima. On being asked his reason for coming, he had simply said "I want to make some money and i have something for his majesty Kunihira" .
    Somehow, Kunihira was in a mood to greet visitors that day and he was allowed to go in.

The man came inside and saluted Kunihira with such noble correctness that only diplomats or nobles do, judging by his appearance he looked no noble, so he must be a diplomat.

"So you are a diplomat?" asked Kunihira. The man was surprised.

"Err yes, more like a messenger" said the man.

"What do you wish to tell me?" asked Kunihira.

"My name is Hono Karioka, I work for your brother, his highness lord Tadahira, he sent me to deliver a letter to our lord, your father, Hidehira" said the man.

"And?" asked Kunihira expecting the worst.

"My lord, the letter contains some things which may mar your image, hence i took the fastest detour that i could and came here to Fukushima" said Hono.

Kunihira did not verify the man's identity, instead, he opened the letter and saw the seal of his father, and an old Kubota seal for the town of Uzen, that confirmed it.
    "You may leave for now" said Kunihira to Hono who complied.

For about half an hour, Hono helplessly sat twitching his thumbs outside the palace. Two or three men went inside the palace running as fast as they could. Then more men. Then lord Kunihira's wife. When the half hour was done, he was called in.
    When he went inside, it looked as if the entire council of advisers was there.

"My man, i am not angry with this letter, it has all but saddened me to see my brother say such derogatory things about me, but tell me, why are you betraying my brother to me?" asked Kunihira.

"Because i am loyal to you only lord, the designated heir" said Hono confidently.

"I asked for the real answer Hono, not the bureaucratic one" said Kunihira smiling.

"Your brother is a miser my lord, a miser of the worst kind, a penny pincher, he spends most of the income on massive building projects and worthless monuments and gardens, initially it felt good, he beautified Uzen and rebuilt it, he donated generously to the clergy and protected religion, but soon the common people began to suffer, now the coffers in Uzen are almost empty, the peasants are very unhappy and so am I" said Hono smiling.

"Ah" sighed Kunihira.

With the whole troup of advisers at his command, Kunhira took just a mere few minutes to figure out the strategy. Hono would be paid a small fortune, he would be sent off with the fastest rider in Fukushima to stay on schedule and deliver the letter, albeit with a few modifications. First off all, it said that Tadahira loved his brother and was willing to work united under his command to fight against the Minamoto, secondly, it insisted that the reply letter from Hidehira need only to have the next commands for war and lastly, it encouraged his father's decision to make total war !

War was on the horizon, and blood would flow.

Last edited by Owlparrot3; July 13, 2018 at 09:35 AM.

Content Emeritus

Yet another good chapter! The strife between the brothers begins to take shape, a slanderous letter no less. This will not be the end of this I should think. Hopefully they can make some progress in the war lest it become a stalemate.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Yet another good chapter! The strife between the brothers begins to take shape, a slanderous letter no less. This will not be the end of this I should think. Hopefully they can make some progress in the war lest it become a stalemate.
    Yeah, hopefully it may or may not end soon. But one thing is sure, they won't betray their father. Its Japan, not Normandy
    Thanks so much for commenting man. I am glad that you are taking out the time to do it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast