Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: June 29]

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: Nov 25]

I noticed it's 5 days since you posted, and no one's told you so far how great you're doing? Well fret not, I'm here now: You're doing great.

Seriously though: It really is great. I can't give you any better feedback than that for now. I hoped I'd find time, which is why I'm only posting now, but I'm going through a bit of a non-writing-related-crunch at the time. The next month(s?) is(/are?) going to be hell for me, so I have to tone it down 'til Christmas.

Only important two notes to what you wrote above in #238: 1) Cliffhangers are allowed and do not necessarily contradict the narrative arc rule. It simply depends on how it's done. E.g. look at the chestnut part that I wrote. It ended on a cliffhanger, but it also had a narrative arc.
    2) "Slow" parts are also expressly possible with a narrative arc and should have that narrative arc. Slow parts are great, but only if they have a purpose (just like all parts). So when you have people walking from A to B, use that to show how they evolve, or use it to flesh them out more, including their relationship. Note that I'd use the terrain in that case more than you already did (though as you know you did kinda well), in that I'd see the nature as a character in itself. So sometimes the nature can be embracing, sometimes harsh, etc., and I'd factor it in and see the environment as a character of its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Great updates! Two lines from the latest one stayed with me: "no matter what comes next", which reminds me that Halik and Fa'ram aren't on the same side anymore (if I'm keeping up with the shifting sands correctly) and "Remember who and what you are", which sounds like it may be a foreshadowing of something, or an indication that Halik senses that Far'am is losing sight of some part of himself - but perhaps the significance of the second line is something else, something I missed.

I also wonder if this meeting is intentionally similar to the previous encounter between Tharin and Mun'at. Both dialogues involved friendly speech between potential enemies, with (at least, it seemed to me) mutual respect and affection but also an undertone of danger.
    Last edited by Alwyn; December 01, 2019 at 09:16 AM.

Campidoctor

You did an 180 there in the conversation between Mun'at and Tharin. I liked how it was going first, with Mun'at being a real jerk, war looming over the horizon, and so on. I didn't like how it turned out then, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Pretty sure you have some jokers up your sleeve anyways.

I mean... the most logical thing to do in EB as the Nabateans is to get rid of the Saba first, and the Sabaeans are also a faction influental enough to oppose Nabatean hegemony over Arabia. Really, really curious how this will turn out. Nabataens and Sabaeans warring each others or becoming best bro's - both are interesting scenarios. You made it so that the reader also cares for the opposite side. Great thing!

Evil twist at the very end of this last part. Somehow it was clear they must've been watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    What can I say, I've got Chapter 5 all finished, and just this morning concluded an "Interlude" mini-chapter that comes after and marks the mid-way point of the story.
    This is a great idea!

Those decisions are some of the worst ones for me. I wish I could just post my pdf and be done with it
    But you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Great updates! Two lines from the latest one stayed with me: "no matter what comes next", which reminds me that Halik and Fa'ram aren't on the same side anymore [...]
    Looks like this image has made it into the story:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I noticed it's 5 days since you posted, and no one's told you so far how great you're doing? Well fret not, I'm here now: You're doing great.
    Thanks Cook. You know, without those little bits of praise, I do lose the will to live

But more seriously, thanks for real. It is always good to hear that you're liking it, and that things are going well. I work in academia, and I find that academics have in general become far too concerned with providing critiques, to the point that they rarely ever give praise anymore, and it really takes its toll in the long run when no one ever says that they like it or that this or that was particularly moving. So thanks!

Seriously though: It really is great. I can't give you any better feedback than that for now. I hoped I'd find time, which is why I'm only posting now, but I'm going through a bit of a non-writing-related-crunch at the time. The next month(s?) is(/are?) going to be hell for me, so I have to tone it down 'til Christmas.
    No worries. You do you, and get to other stuff when you can. When the book is all done, you are going to get a .pdf to look at anyway, so you'll have a chance

Only important two notes to what you wrote above in #238: 1) Cliffhangers are allowed and do not necessarily contradict the narrative arc rule. It simply depends on how it's done. E.g. look at the chestnut part that I wrote. It ended on a cliffhanger, but it also had a narrative arc.
    2) "Slow" parts are also expressly possible with a narrative arc and should have that narrative arc. Slow parts are great, but only if they have a purpose (just like all parts). So when you have people walking from A to B, use that to show how they evolve, or use it to flesh them out more, including their relationship. Note that I'd use the terrain in that case more than you already did (though as you know you did kinda well), in that I'd see the nature as a character in itself. So sometimes the nature can be embracing, sometimes harsh, etc., and I'd factor it in and see the environment as a character of its own.
    Interesting points, and one's which I agree with a lot. To each one:

1) I've got nothing to add. We agree here, I think
    2) The thought about making the land into a full-fledged character (or at least, more played out) is definitely something interesting. I use a lot of anthropomorphized language when describing the land, but so far have not done some of the more basic character stuff with it. I will think about that more though. One thing I have been considering the whole time while writing is to actually split this story into two books. Book one would be chapters 1-5, but teased out a lot more, with a lot more development of characters and setting, and that would comprise the full story of uniting the tribes of western Arabia, and only that. Book two would then be focused just on southern Arabia and the interactions between the Nabati and the more settled peoples like the Saba' and Qatabani. If I do pull the trigger on that plan, I would have more room to explore these ideas more, which is one of the big reasons I have in favor of it. I'll think about it all more once I've finished the book as it is though.

Great updates! Two lines from the latest one stayed with me: "no matter what comes next", which reminds me that Halik and Fa'ram aren't on the same side anymore (if I'm keeping up with the shifting sands correctly) and "Remember who and what you are", which sounds like it may be a foreshadowing of something, or an indication that Halik senses that Far'am is losing sight of some part of himself - but perhaps the significance of the second line is something else, something I missed.

I also wonder if this meeting is intentionally similar to the previous encounter between Tharin and Mun'at. Both dialogues involved friendly speech between potential enemies, with (at least, it seemed to me) mutual respect and affection but also an undertone of danger.
    Alwyn, you have a keen eye, and I am going to say no more than that, for fear of giving things away At any rate, I will continue to drop some twists as things go along, but I always try to leave the buildings of that twist laying around in earlier sections, so attentive readers can get a reward out of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    You did an 180 there in the conversation between Mun'at and Tharin. I liked how it was going first, with Mun'at being a real jerk, war looming over the horizon, and so on. I didn't like how it turned out then, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Pretty sure you have some jokers up your sleeve anyways.
    I most certainly do And their exchanges are far from over, so you will see that relationship develop for a while still. Hopefully, its continuation will be more satisfying.

I mean... the most logical thing to do in EB as the Nabateans is to get rid of the Saba first, and the Sabaeans are also a faction influental enough to oppose Nabatean hegemony over Arabia. Really, really curious how this will turn out. Nabataens and Sabaeans warring each others or becoming best bro's - both are interesting scenarios.
    Yeah, that was the only real viable option for the campaign. That, or head east, but Gerrha is just so not an inviting first conquest. There are two territories north of Rekem worth taking (Bostra and Palmyra), but they put you into direct contact with the Ptolemaic-Seleukid conflict, and put you in their way, which is something you don't want then. I have taken Bostra, but using the King, Malka Qênu, who isn't part of the story. So yeah, it's to the Saba', and in the story I am trying to flesh out how the internal politics of Saba' would affect this interaction with a people like the Nabati.

You made it so that the reader also cares for the opposite side. Great thing!
    I am really glad to hear this! One thing I have been trying to focus on as a writer is not having a proper "baddie". To me, people are people, wherever you go, and that means some will be punks, some will be more friendly, some will be... But most importantly, everyone has a bit of everything in them, and the only thing that usually makes someone an enemy is place of birth. So I have been trying to make it clear who our protagonists are, while also making clear that the antagonists are not necessarily "bad". I am very happy to hear that that is coming through!

Evil twist at the very end of this last part. Somehow it was clear they must've been watched.
    Indeed!

Looks like this image has made it into the story:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Nicely done!

Now, before the next update goes up, I have something to say, and to ask, regarding regularity of my posting updates. So, National Novel Writing Month is now over, and while I definitely didn't meet my 30,000 word goal, I did get serious progress, and for that I am happy! I still have a lot to transcribe, but I'd say I have managed about 15,000 words last month, which amounted to me writing all of chapter 5, an interlude that marks the halfway point of the book, and about half of chapter 6. More than this though, the NaNoWriMo has gotten me into a groove wherein I can do a lot more writing than I previously was.

The upshot of all of this (with regards to updates) is that I now have a backlog of updates from what I've already finished, and chances are this backlog will only grow given how much I am writing now. From my posting over the past month, it has seemed to me that once a week is maybe too quick. I can understand this, given the length of some of my updates, and that the language is a bit heavier which can make it more time-consuming for non-native speakers of English. Now, I really like getting feedback from you all for each update, because I use that as much as I can for improving the work, something which is important to me as I plan on trying to shop this book at some point. For that reason, I am going to start posting only twice a month, on the 1st and 15th (though for December, on the 2nd, as I was traveling yesterday). However, I'd be interested to hear any and everyone's thoughts on posting regularity, and for that reason I am adding a poll to this thread. If you have 30 seconds of spare time (and I know you do ) please take the time to briefly consider what you would really want most, in terms of posting time, and put your response down. If there is some overwhelming majority for a particular schedule, I'd be happy to accommodate it
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Continued from Chapter 5 - Part VI

Dramatis Personae

Nabati:

Mun'at Ha'Qadri: General of the Nabati army, tasked with uniting the tribes of Arabia and subduing the Saba' confederations that control Arabia Felix.
    Shullai Ha'Maleki: Prince of the Nabati, riding south under Mun'at's command.
    Ravîv'êl Bikrum: Crown Prince of the Nabati. Currently governing the conquered settlement of Dedan.
    Malka Qênu: King of the Nabati, and leader of the united tribes.

Rana'in: Elder warrior and long-time friend of Mun'at.
    Khalil: Raider under Mun'at's command, usually tasked with leading the cavalry and light skirmishers.
    Haza'el: Captain of the Nabati.
    Wayyuq: A spy and pathfinder in the service of the Nabati, but not of their tribe.

Sabeans (Saba'):

Mubsamat: Queen of the Saba' with ambitions to end the tribal rivalries that plague her people.
    Tharin: Captain of Mubsamat's guard, tasked with contacting the approaching Nabati on Mubsamat's behalf and bringing them over to her cause.
    Zaadi Il'Bayyin: Often referred to as "Lord of the Northpass", Zaadi is a Qayl (higher official) of the Saba', and the ringleader of a group of nobles arrayed against Mubsamat.
    Halik Il'Yakif: Landowner and noble of the Saba' who initially followed Zaadi's plans but has since been turned by Mubsamat.
    Far'am Rafshan: Half-Qatabani exile in league with Zaadi Il'Bayyin.
    Karab: Son of the Athtar Yazi' clan and great leader of the Hashidi warriors of the northern plateau. He is also in league with Zaadi against Mubsamat.
    Hasan: Deceased brother of Karab.

Chapter 5
    The Incense Road

--------------------------------------------------
    (Part VII)

After an evening spent in the shadows of the dark mount, the Nabati had crossed the broad crater nestled among the peaks of Hijaz, finding at its easternmost edge a narrow trail winding over the final ascent. The path they traveled was half-choked with boulders and debris, the other half sliding scree-slopes that slipped away without warning, and they were forced to move slowly, picking their way forward with care. However, by evening they had gained the last rise, and once again they were on the high desert east of the Barrier Hills.

Over the next days they moved easily, keeping to the incense roads and the safety of their regularly marked wells and oases. They traveled through Ta'if, Turbah, and Bishah, independent settlements which neither asked for nor gave fealty to the greater powers of Arabia, but as the Nabati advanced ever further south they began to notice a growing sense of unity in the tribes they encountered. The marks of it were subtle, but Mun'at felt them nonetheless, and twelve days after having left Bakkah, he approached Tharin to ask him if he knew what it was that bound together the peoples of that region.

At first Tharin said nothing, and when finally he did speak it was with a measured caution, as though he feared to betray some secret. "We are entering the lands of the Minaeans, the Kingdom of Ma'in." he said slowly, growing quiet once his answer had been given.

"And?" Mun'at prompted. "What of the people, the tribes and clans? Are they an honorable sort, or should we treat them with caution?" Mun'at paused, eying Tharin with a hint of uncertainty, and when he spoke again his words rang with authority, words of a commander to his soldier. "Tharin, you will tell me what you know." he said, brooking no argument.

Tharin's eyes flashed for the briefest moment, but he answered without outward complaint. "The people of Ma'in are traders and raiders, desert folk unaccustomed to a civilized life, and they are not to be trusted." he said flatly.

On hearing this Mun'at grew momentarily quiet, for in Tharin's words he recognized a people akin to the Nabati, and yet the Saba' captain had disparaged them without the slightest mark of hesitation or mercy. "And should we then see them as enemies, these Minaeans?" he asked evenly, adding, "Would they think us enemies, or do you think they could be persuaded to look on us and ours with kindly eyes?"

Tharin waved a hand in dismissal. "They are a backwards lot, and I have never known them to be anything but enemies." he said with disdain.

Again, Mun'at was still, considering what to make of this new friend the Nabati had gained, whether he had perhaps been in error to take the southern soldiers into his company. When finally Mun'at did speak it was with reproach in his voice, and more than a little disappointment. "Tharin, you say you have never known them to be anything but enemies, but the antagonism between you and them is your affair. I know these people not, and I would not think ill of them without just cause."

"You offered your friendship to me," Tharin answered coldly, "and if friendship binds me to your causes, then you are bound equally to mine, and I tell you now that these unwashed desert savages are enemies of the Saba'." His eyes narrowed, Tharin added, "Or do you mean to say that you would befriend or speak kindly to the enemies of your allies?"

Mun'at sighed and his gaze fell to the earth. "No, I suppose not." he said softly.

At the words Tharin appeared satisfied and turned to walk away, when Mun'at laid a hand on his shoulder, staying him. "I do not like to make war without cause," he said with quiet fervor, "and even less so against peoples who I do not know, with whom I have no quarrel. Know this, captain of the Saba'."

In answer, Tharin let out a soft grunt before turning and heading back to the company of his men, marching in the vanguard with Khalil's raiders and Wayyuq's scouts.

Over the coming days, Mun'at spoke less and less to Tharin, but he kept his word to the southern captain. The army of the Nabati had met with no resistance since entering the lands of Ma'in, yet Mun'at placed them always on alert, and ordered the captains to make their men ever more ready for war. They were marching along the incense roads that eventually led to Najran, the stronghold of Ma'in, and by the caprice and ill-will of the Nabati's newest allies, their march had become of necessity one of violence and conquest. It was a course of events Mun'at would not have willingly or gladly chosen, but he no longer saw any possibility for doing otherwise.

For weeks Zaadi's fortress and the surrounding valleys had been abuzz with activity. The scattered peoples of the Hashidi and Houthi clans, as well as a dozen lesser tribes, had been assembled outside his mountain fastness, making ready for war, and now, after such a flurry of activity and motion, the place seemed as if dead. Zaadi Il'Bayyin, the Lord of the Northpass, had received from Mar'rib daily worse news, reports of Mubsamat's growing strength in the court, and in an act of desperation he had dispersed his allies, sending them into the northern mountains with orders to seal the passes and trade routes leading toward Ma'in and the lands of North Arabia. From the heights of Sarat his forces would be unassailable, and Mubsamat would be forced to come to him, to her doom. And if she did not, if she remained safely ensconced about the palace on the high plateau, then the other lords of Saba' would see what he had so long ago, that she was a coward and weakling, fit only to spread distrust and lies, but not to lead.

Though Zaadi had sent his friends away, he remained at his citadel with the soldiers of his own clan, waiting for some sign to come from the south, some piece of information to tell him what was happening in Ma'rib, who he could still call 'friend'. More than this, he waited for the queen to make her move, to show her hand, that he might respond accordingly. Yet day and night the road south lay still, the winding gray band delivering no messenger to the Lord of the Northpass, nor any knowledge of what events were unfolding beyond his domains. After three days of this, this constant waiting, Zaadi had begun to fear that no news would ever come, that his actions had perhaps been over hasty, rash even, when at long last a trail of dust was sighted rising over the road that led to Ma'rib.

His steps suddenly light, Zaadi descended the walls, moving toward the broad plaza between the gatehouse and the main keep, and when he reached the flagged stones he saw two of his spies climbing down from horses glistening with sweat. He crossed toward them without hesitation, a gladness and ease rising in his breast, but when finally he stood before them those lighter thoughts were replaced by dread. The men's eyes were clouded with concern and a thinly-veiled fear, and both stood silent. "What is it?" Zaadi asked, his voice suddenly small.

The two men glanced at one another uneasily, neither seeming pleased with the prospect of speaking, but after a moment one turned his gaze to Zaadi. "Lord of the Northpass," he began in weak tones, "as you commanded, we were watching the lands of the half-Qatabani, Far'am Rafshan, and for weeks there was nothing. Nothing of note in his workshops and no sign of the half-blood noble." The man paused, looking to his partner beside him for support, and when it appeared none would be given he quickly added, "But Far'am has returned."

Zaadi's brow pinched together in open confusion. "What of that?" he finally snapped. "Of course the half-blood would return. Do you mean to tell me that you rode here, forsaking your watch, just to tell me this?! Well?"

Again, the spies turned to one another, a series of silent looks passing between them, and after a time the second man, who till then had remained still, spoke. "Far'am returned, but not alone." he said slowly. "The half-blood returned from Qataban with the entirety of the tribes of his people, and even now they are camped in the wilds north of Far'am's home. They remain there, doing their best to remain unnoticed, but they are his. We are certain of that."

On hearing this Zaadi's gaze fell to the earth, searching for what such news could mean, when the second man began speaking again. "But that is not all." he continued. "Before we departed his domains to return here we saw him receive a visitor. Halik Il'Yakif went to Far'am Rafshan, and alone they entered the half-Qatabani's home." The man paused briefly. "Lord Zaadi," he added solemnly, "they did not speak long, but from what we saw, they spoke as friends, brothers."

His tale done, the man grew quiet, and for a moment silence reigned supreme on the stony plaza. Then, slowly, Zaadi's breathing became louder and louder, his jaw tight and eyes aflame. He locked his gaze on the second man who had spoken. "You will bring Far'am to me." he said in tones of red iron. "Take whatever men you might need, go to his damnable shacks north of Ma'rib, and drag him back here if you must. That man will explain his deeds, or he will answer for them."

Continue to Chapter 5 - Part VIII
    Last edited by Kilo11; December 15, 2019 at 11:43 PM. Reason: To my shame, I missed some LaTeX markup :(
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Citizen

Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

Good to know. I had completely missed it, even as I have read your updates. Once a week is indubitably the correct answer. There are only 52 weeks in a year. The question you have to ask yourself is: "Do I still want to be posting updates 5 years from now?"

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

Very interesting developments, the encounter between Far'am and Halik in particular was very good in my opinion, their see-sawing of power between the two of them. It seems the alliance between Mun'at's Nabati confederation and the Saba are beginning to show the trouble of uniting all the tribes of Arabia. Tharin's hatred for the Ma'in is still unclear and to see Mun'at struggle to decide what he must do is conveyed very well.

Two very good updates!

Default Re: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: Dec 2]

You've got me interested in both the tension between Mun'at and Tharin and the discovery which Zaadi made about Far'am.

As I see it it, one challenge for Total War AAR writers is 'why good people go to war'. Of course, there different ways of dealing with this, such as: our main character doesn't have to be good and they don't have to start the war. Here, it seems that the alliance with Tharin explains why Mun'at is going to war - it's interesting to see what this shows us about Mun'at and about the growing tension between Mun'at and Tharin.

Good to know. I had completely missed it, even as I have read your updates. Once a week is indubitably the correct answer. There are only 52 weeks in a year. The question you have to ask yourself is: "Do I still want to be posting updates 5 years from now?"
    Thanks for the answer, Cook, and for the thoughts. I am still not entirely decided, but I lean more towards every two weeks, and that seems to be more the trend with others as well. If there is a swing of votes for the weekly option, I would reconsider though. At any rate, you're getting a new update right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Very interesting developments, the encounter between Far'am and Halik in particular was very good in my opinion, their see-sawing of power between the two of them. It seems the alliance between Mun'at's Nabati confederation and the Saba are beginning to show the trouble of uniting all the tribes of Arabia. Tharin's hatred for the Ma'in is still unclear and to see Mun'at struggle to decide what he must do is conveyed very well.

Two very good updates!
    Thanks Turk. When I write, I tend to want to have more description and rich language, but it is so nice when I have a scene that is dominated by conversation, because I can write them just so much faster! I think it has to do with one my background principles that guides my writing, which is that I try to follow my story and characters, rather than leading them. That means that when I have conversation or action, I am really just trying to figure out what they'd do/say, and then put that down. And that is pretty straightforward in some important respects. However, when I do more description and scene-building, I have a lot more freedom and artistic license, which though fun to utilize, means I have to make far more decisions, slowing down my output. So that's a bit about my style and approach, though I am sure it is not that interesting

You've got me interested in both the tension between Mun'at and Tharin and the discovery which Zaadi made about Far'am.

As I see it it, one challenge for Total War AAR writers is 'why good people go to war'. Of course, there different ways of dealing with this, such as: our main character doesn't have to be good and they don't have to start the war. Here, it seems that the alliance with Tharin explains why Mun'at is going to war - it's interesting to see what this shows us about Mun'at and about the growing tension between Mun'at and Tharin.
    That's a good observation, Alwyn. I agree that there are a variety of ways to go about this. And one other thing I also find important is to make sure that all characters are somewhat real, which means there can't be just a simple "bad" guy. With these two things together, it is really important that there be a proper grounding for war, and one that makes both sides somewhat understandable, so that it is not a situation where we can just point at someone for being "evil" or something. For me, the grounding here is that the Nabati think they have to (they think it's the only way to stand against the Greeks), and any they fight either don't agree, or don't understand that yet. I guess only time will tell how these things shake out.

But either way, here is a new update, and the final one for chapter 5!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Continued from Chapter 5 - Part VII

Dramatis Personae

Nabati:

Mun'at Ha'Qadri: General of the Nabati army, tasked with uniting the tribes of Arabia and subduing the Saba' confederations that control Arabia Felix.
    Ravîv'êl Bikrum: Crown Prince of the Nabati. Currently governing the conquered settlement of Dedan.

Khalil: Raider under Mun'at's command, usually tasked with leading the cavalry and light skirmishers.
    Wayyuq: A spy and pathfinder in the service of the Nabati, but not of their tribe.

Sabeans (Saba'):

Mubsamat: Queen of the Saba' with ambitions to end the tribal rivalries that plague her people.
    Tharin: Captain of Mubsamat's guard, tasked with contacting the approaching Nabati on Mubsamat's behalf and bringing them over to her cause.
    Zaadi Il'Bayyin: Often referred to as "Lord of the Northpass", Zaadi is a Qayl (higher official) of the Saba', and the ringleader of a group of nobles arrayed against Mubsamat.
    Halik Il'Yakif: Landowner and noble of the Saba' who initially followed Zaadi's plans but has since been turned by Mubsamat.
    Karab: Son of the Athtar Yazi' clan and great leader of the Hashidi warriors of the northern plateau. He is also in league with Zaadi against Mubsamat.

Chapter 5
    The Incense Road

(Part VIII)

Mun'at's company continued in its march south, but with each day they pressed further east as well, trading the familiar heights of Hijaz for the long burnt expanse of al-Rub' al Khali. They would not enter the proper marches of the desert, but instead follow the broad base of Wadi al-Jawf, which skirted the western edge of the sandy waste at Arabia's center. From there, they could then go on to Najran, the foremost stronghold of Ma'in, reaching it at a point where the Nabati could take full advantage of their numbers, striking from the great plain that bordered the city on one side.

As they walked through the parched windswept valley, Mun'at once again turned his gaze toward the Saba' soldiers. Since his conversation with Tharin, days before, the Commander of Edum had had little dealings with the southern warriors, no familiarity or words beyond those required to lead, but he had kept a watchful eye on all that they did. For the most part, the men out of the south kept to themselves, speaking to one another in a language Mun'at could hardly understand, but now and again they would mingle with the Nabati, conversing in a broken and heavily accented variant of the North Arabian speech. Yet Mun'at also noticed that Tharin, who could speak freely to either group, increasingly refused to approach any man besides those of his own band. For all his kindly words in their first days together, the southern captain seemed to harbor some distrust or distaste for the northerners at his side, and Mun'at feared for that might mean for his people when finally reached Saba' lands, whether the quiet prejudices of Tharin were his alone, or those of his countrymen. As the days wore by and they began to near Najran, Mun'at refused to put the thought out of his mind, but he set it aside, turning his attention to the task that lay before them.

For the entirety of their time within the lands of Ma'in, the Nabati had moved with impunity, no mark of resistance to slow or check them, and when finally they spied the low clay walls of the Najran, Mun'at finally understood why they had been allowed such freedom. The outlying farms and settlements lay still, quiet, but along the earthen ramparts of the city bristled a tight crop of spears, their points shining in the sun and running without break over every battlement in sight. Behind these crouched a multitude of bowmen and slingers, with defiance in their eyes. The Minaeans had known all along that the Nabati were coming, and rather than spend themselves in sorties out among the sands of the desert, they had waited patiently for the northerners' arrival, nursing their power for a battle that had now become inevitable.

Seeing the garrison before them, well-arrayed from a place of strength, Mun'at's jaw tightened and he began breathing slowly, evenly. The Nabati could not simply assault the walls of Najran, not without suffering greatly in the effort, yet neither could they tarry overlong outside the settlement. The fields and wells might keep the army of Edum for a time, but their numbers were too many. Sooner or later the waters would run dry, the pastures turn to dust, and they would be forced to strike or retreat, lest the land itself destroy them.

Mun'at called his captains to him and calmly ordered them to send small detachments out to search for timber for ladders. There were no trees or other sources of wood in sight, but the sheds and outbuildings of the farms would supply enough for their needs. The rest of the army he tasked with setting a tight camp a short distance from the city, and bringing the supply train forward with as much haste as could be found. They would secure their goods, prepare themselves, and then commence the attack.

In an instant the Nabati were moving with purpose, doing all that Mun'at commanded. Wood was found, the provisions and families brought up without delay, and a city of canvas sheets rapidly spread over the dusty plain. But then, amidst all the activity and motion, watchmens' horns were heard ringing over the extreme western edge of the Nabati encampment.

Mun'at looked up with bewilderment and worry in his eyes, and he pulled himself atop his mount, riding toward the commotion as quickly as he could, Rana'in and Khalil following shortly behind. As they reached the outermost tents the captains looked out and saw in the west a wall of dust and sand stretching over the horizon, an uncountable number of horsemen and camelry at its base and approaching with a terrifying speed. The horns of the Nabati sentries continued to blast, and over their din and a rising panic Mun'at shouted as loud as he could. Commands tore through the ranks like wildfire, moving too quickly and spreading confusion rather than order. Those at the boundaries of the camp could see the rising threat, but the soldiers further in knew nothing more than what they heard -- chaos, fear, rout -- and they responded accordingly, throwing more disarray still into a party already on the verge of breaking.

Their weakening will plain to see, Mun'at sent riders out to silence the watchmens' horns, and he then turned to Khalil and Rana'in. "Khalil," he began quickly, "find Shullai and gather the raiders and horse archers without delay. Swing wide of the camps and take up position on our right, to the north." Khalil already disappearing between the tents, Mun'at then turned to Rana'in. "Old friend, I need you to get every sear here at once. Send a runner to find Haza'el and let him gather the bows and slings, but you are our first and surest defense. I know you will stand fast." As Rana'in began to move away Mun'at stopped him with a final request. "And Rana'in," he added, "send Tharin and his men to me here. We will see the mettle of these warriors of the Saba'."

His captains going to carry out his commands, Mun'at set himself to organizing the soldiers about him. With the silencing of the horns, a measure of confidence had returned to the ranks, and the Commander of Edum capitalized on that, forming battle lines just beyond the rowed tents. And seeing his actions, lesser captains began to follow suit, bringing their men out and forming alongside Mun'at's, creating an unbroken wall along the entirety of the Nabati flank. The Minaean cavalry continued to approach, and were even then nearly within bowshot, but the northern army had at least managed to muster a semblance of its might to stand against them.

Mun'at began to breathe more easily, and was further gladdened when he saw Rana'in threading his way through the camp, a forest of swaying spears following in his wake. Haza'el and the ranged units followed but a short time later, bringing with them Tharin and his men. On seeing them, Mun'at stepped toward the Saba' captain. "Well, new friend," he said with a gleam in his eyes, "will you show us the strength of your southern hearts?"

Tharin's jaw tightened ever so slightly, but he nodded, moving past Mun'at and setting his men at the center. Each of them carried both bow and spear, and the latter of these they thrust into the earth before them, creating a thin picket behind which they began to string their tight bows. Mun'at watched them for a moment in silence, marking with pleasure the practiced ease of their motions, their certainty in action. Even if Tharin bore some unspoken ill will toward the Nabati, he had brought with him true warriors, pledging them to Mun'at's cause, and for that at least the General of Edum was glad.

Before long the last of the Nabati soldiers were slowly pushing their way into the lines, leaving the hastily set camp behind them, when the arrows and stones of the Minaean riders began to fall about the ranks. Calls rang out and shields were raised, pressed edge to edge for the security that might give, and in answer to the enemy's attack the Nabati archers and slingers fired without restraint, the arrows of Tharin's warriors flying with particular devastation. The barbed rain pounded across the battlefield, and on both sides its descent was marked by wailing and cries. However, for all of the blood and death, the Nabati lines continued to hold, and the Minaeans continued in their bold charge.

As they neared, the pounding of the horses' hooves rose to a fevered pitch, its heart-rattling boom crushing all other sound. And then, in a moment, they met the spearwall of the northmen. The crash of lances on shields was enough to crack the sky, and after that first terrible test of the Nabati's strength, the Minaeans briefly pulled back, only to turn about and charge again. From behind the spears and axes the ranged units fired wildly, but the rising dust before them clouded their eyes, and before long their ammunition was spent, too much of it gone to too little effect. In a last act of desperation they traded their bows for long knives and cudgels, and rushed forward into the mêlée, dragging horsemen from their mounts and slaying them in the dirt. But still the Minaeans came, their numbers seemingly inexhaustible. Wave after wave broke against the army of Edum, and with each thunderous charge the will of the northmen slipped more and more.

Mun'at stood in the heart of the raging sea of death, his armor dripping with the blood of a dozen men, and all about him he saw his people faltering, their eyes flashing with mortal fear. He cried out to them to stand fast, cried out to Rana'in to hold a while longer, to Tharin to prove his people's strength, but he could see they were on the brink. The yawning black abyss lay before them, its gaping maw prepared to swallow them all, and Mun'at could but hope to delay a fate which now seemed inevitable.

Then, from the north, came a long low rumble, like thunder in the mountains, the sound followed immediately by the piercing tearing whinny of horses dying. At long last Khalil and Shullai had joined the fight, bearing down upon the enemy's exposed flanks without mercy. Mun'at cried out again, but this time his men picked up the call, rallying and pressing forward with a vengeance. From ahead and behind the Nabati struck at the Minaean horsemen, taking to their butcher's work in a manner frightful to behold, until, mercifully, the soldiers of Ma'in broke, dropping their arms and fleeing over the red-soaked plain.

On seeing their army broken, the garrison of Najran marched out in solemn procession to offer their surrender. Tharin, with hatred in his eyes, urged Mun'at to continue the fight, but the Commander of Edum refused, treating their vanquished foe with honor, as he had done in Dedan so many months before. One by one, the lords of Ma'in came forward, swearing fealty to the Nabati, to their king, Malka Qênu, who still stood watch in the valley of Rekem, and when all had spoken Mun'at reaffirmed their titles and honors. Whether his Saba' friend liked it or not, the lords of Ma'in would remain lords, but ones whose loyalty lay with a greater Arab confederacy, rather than to their petty provincial ties. And with Najran taken, the remainder of the scattered tribes of that region surrendered without a fight, ending the independence of Ma'in and bringing Mun'at one step closer to a united Arabia.

Continue to Interlude
    Last edited by Kilo11; January 03, 2020 at 04:39 AM.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Content Emeritus

The subjugation of the Minaeans with a pitched battle is a fitting way to end the chapter. The surprise and brief glimpses of uncertainty of Mun'at and his army are all conveyed beautifully and further humanises the protagonist. Like Alwyn said in the previous update, the tension between Mun'at and Tharin seems to ramp up here and the peaceful integration of the Minaean nobility will surely not help better their relation. I really liked this part of a sentence: "Their weakening will plain to see" It has a certain elegance to it.

A wonderful update and great end to chapter 5!

Thanks Turk. When I write, I tend to want to have more description and rich language, but it is so nice when I have a scene that is dominated by conversation, because I can write them just so much faster! I think it has to do with one my background principles that guides my writing, which is that I try to follow my story and characters, rather than leading them. That means that when I have conversation or action, I am really just trying to figure out what they'd do/say, and then put that down. And that is pretty straightforward in some important respects. However, when I do more description and scene-building, I have a lot more freedom and artistic license, which though fun to utilize, means I have to make far more decisions, slowing down my output. So that's a bit about my style and approach, though I am sure it is not that interesting
    Au contraire, I always find it very interesting how others do things. It's a great way to see things from a new perspective and try new things, see if they work for you or change certain aspects when merging them with your own inner workings.

Citizen

Default Re: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: Dec 16]

It was a great update Kilo. I loved that description of a battle, it was both intense and quite realistic (aside from cavalry clashing into spearwalls, but who cares ).
    Small fix: spear instead of sear.

I'm also not completely understanding as to how Mun'at can be so confident of their continued loyalty. Wouldn't it make sense to at least pick up some hostages each time he wins?

A brilliantly told battle, the sudden arrival of the enemy, the sounds and the faltering morale all have a strong impact. (I wonder if it would be worth considering another word in place of 'death' in the phrase 'raging sea of death'. It's effective as a vivid description, so I could be wrong.) Tharin's reaction to Mun'at's honourable decision seems like a nicely-played discordant note in an otherwise upbeat outcome.

The subjugation of the Minaeans with a pitched battle is a fitting way to end the chapter. The surprise and brief glimpses of uncertainty of Mun'at and his army are all conveyed beautifully and further humanises the protagonist. Like Alwyn said in the previous update, the tension between Mun'at and Tharin seems to ramp up here and the peaceful integration of the Minaean nobility will surely not help better their relation. I really liked this part of a sentence: "Their weakening will plain to see" It has a certain elegance to it.

A wonderful update and great end to chapter 5!
    Thanks Turk, and I really am glad to see the changing relationship between Mun'at and Tharin is coming across well!

Au contraire, I always find it very interesting how others do things. It's a great way to see things from a new perspective and try new things, see if they work for you or change certain aspects when merging them with your own inner workings.
    Glad to hear you liked the glimpse into my process

It was a great update Kilo. I loved that description of a battle, it was both intense and quite realistic (aside from cavalry clashing into spearwalls, but who cares ).
    Small fix: spear instead of sear.
    Thanks for the edit! And I don't know what to do about the cav clash. It's something I feel is unavoidable somehow, and it did happen in-game. But I know what you mean about the realism there...

I'm also not completely understanding as to how Mun'at can be so confident of their continued loyalty. Wouldn't it make sense to at least pick up some hostages each time he wins?
    It would indeed make sense, if one really doesn't trust them. However, I believe Mun'at would be more carelesstrusting with the more "desert-y" people, because he feels he understands them. In what comes, we will see a different set of tactics and responses as he deals with the settled, more duplicitous tribes of the Saba'.

A brilliantly told battle, the sudden arrival of the enemy, the sounds and the faltering morale all have a strong impact. (I wonder if it would be worth considering another word in place of 'death' in the phrase 'raging sea of death'. It's effective as a vivid description, so I could be wrong.) Tharin's reaction to Mun'at's honourable decision seems like a nicely-played discordant note in an otherwise upbeat outcome.
    Thanks Alwyn, and I will indeed look at the word there again. I always love that kind of little suggestion, as it gets me to double-check things I've long-before decided are settled. That really helps me to improve stuff!

As to that final note between Tharin and Mun'at, that is part of what I was aiming for, so I'm glad you liked it!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Continued from Chapter 5 - Part VIII

Dramatis Personae

Nabati:

Sabeans (Saba'):

Interlude

Far'am Rafshan sat tall in his saddle, his back straight and a half-smile playing at the corners of his mouth, but behind the mask of confidence and ease he was troubled. He was riding toward the home of Zaadi, escorted by a small troop of men he did not know, and in his mind he could think of nothing other than the words of Halik Il'Yakif at their last meeting. Far'am had offered neither insult nor injury to the Lord of the Northpass, but he could not be sure whether Zaadi would see things that way as well. More than that, Far'am did not know why he was being brought before Zaadi, for the men riding beside him had said nothing, nothing other than that his presence was demanded, yet some subtle mark of darkness in their eyes told him the meeting would not likely be a pleasant one.

With each hour they moved ever closer to the stronghold of Zaadi, his fortress perched between the gray walls of the Sarat Mountains, and as they began to cross the last long stretches before arriving at that place, Far'am took stock of all that had come to pass since he joined himself to Zaadi's cause. Zaadi Il'Bayyin, Lord of the Northpass, Qayl of the Saba', had in the dark of night made a declaration of war against the queen, Mubsamat. Atop the high walls of the palace at Ma'rib, Zaadi had threatened and interrogated her, with Far'am, Halik, Karab, and Hasan at his back, and in that single act he had set something in motion that could not be stopped. It seemed almost an age ago now, that night, and yet each new day was shaped by its events, each decision and action inextricably bound to that single choice Zaadi had made.

But Zaadi was right. Far'am thought, half-surprised at himself for the notion. The queen had acted on her own, without counsel, making a decision that would affect all of the tribes of the high plateau. She had betrayed her true self, an enemy of the fragile alliances and ties that kept peace between the many peoples of the Saba'. That was why Far'am had joined Zaadi in the first pace. He remembered that now. It was not out of respect or love for that man, for Zaadi was ambitious and could be a brute. No. Far'am had chosen to stand by a man who he knew to be a demon, because it was the only way he would be able to fight the devil. And even though Zaadi remained as short-sighted, cruel, and spiteful as ever, Far'am would continue to stand beside him, for it seemed the only way to spare his new home, Saba', from the plagues of civil strife.

He looked ahead and saw in the distance the stone walls of Zaadi's fortress, and suddenly Far'am realized with a hint of shock that he was smiling. He had remembered why they had chosen to fight Mubsamat, him and the other lords, and in remembering that he realized he had no reason to fear Zaadi. Far'am had indeed disappeared, but only to escape the watchful gaze of what he now knew must have been Mubsamat's spies, and in returning he had brought new allies to join in their fight, tribes which Zaadi had never imagined might stand with them. Far'am had stayed true in word and deed, and though his actions could have been misunderstood, he had added strength to their cause, asking for nothing in return. Zaadi would understand that.

With his fears dispelled, the remainder of their march seemed to slip away in an instant, and Far'am soon found himself bringing his horse into the citadel's courtyard. He swung himself down from the saddle with a smile still on his lips, but as he turned toward the round stone tower that was Zaadi's keep, his face froze. Halfway down the building's steps stood the Lord of the Northpass, his brow dark, one hand resting on the pommel of a long knife hanging by his side.

"It has been long since we spoke, Far'am Rafshan." he said softly, his voice barely carrying over the distance.

"Too long." Far'am replied with forced alacrity.

Zaadi stared at him for a moment in silence, and when finally he spoke his words were tinged with malice. "If you had come earlier, you might have outrun the news I have been receiving, and I daresay you would have been wise to do so."

"Zaadi Il'Bayyin," Far'am began, raising his palms in a sign of peace, "I came here freely, as your ally, for we have much to discuss, and I assure you that whatever you have heard, it is not what you think."

"Really? It is not what I think? And what, then, do I think, little half-blood noble?"

"Zaadi," Far'am replied gently, his eyes twisted in a look of sadness, "you must believe me. I know that my absence was sudden, that it will have harmed the trust between us, but you know that I have done all that you asked of me since we first came together, that I have ever been true to our cause, to the course you set for us. You must know that."

Zaadi breathed slowly, moving toward Far'am in even steps, the click of his heels on the stone underfoot the only sound over the broad courtyard. When he was but a few paces from the half-Qatabani he stopped, and began speaking again, this time more loudly, with accusation in his voice. "I cannot say what it is that I must know, half-blood, but I will tell you what I do know. And what I do know is that even now your forces are lying in wait outside Ma'rib. I know of your secret tryst to the borderlands of our enemy, your old home, Qataban. I know that you returned with a small army, and that you tried to keep that a secret." Zaadi paused briefly, shaking his head from side to side. "I know all of your treachery, your deceit in words and deeds."

"Zaadi, you are wrong--"

"Am I?" snapped Zaadi. "You are a half-blood cur who has abandoned his people before." Zaadi paused again, before adding in low tones, "Once a traitor, always a traitor."

Far'am stood motionless, doubt and uncertainty passing over his features in waves, but after a moment he spoke, his words again coming soft and gentle. "Zaadi Il'Bayyin," he began, "I have never faltered from the cause you set for us, but you lost faith in me nonetheless, shutting me out from your councils. And truth be told, I briefly feared that you had betrayed me, and in that fear I turned to the clans of my people, beseeching them for help." Far'am locked his gaze with Zaadi's. "But I came to aid you, Qayl, not to strike you in the heel. I brought my people to be our allies against Mubsamat, and to show you that I am with you."

Zaadi looked on Far'am with hatred and disbelief in his eyes. "You came to aid me?" he repeated. "Then why, I ask, did you not come to me to tell me this sooner? Why was I forced to learn of your deeds from the mouths of other men? Why did you steal your way back into Saba' lands by secret paths, vainly seeking to hide your movements?" Zaadi's eyes narrowed. "Why has it been so long since you came to me, to speak in quiet companionship, when you are seen receiving messengers from the false queen, Mubsamat?"

"Mubsamat..." Far'am repeated, his brow tightened in confusion. "I do not know what you have been told, but I have had no dealings with that woman, nor would I willingly."

"Silence!" Zaadi shouted, his words echoing off the fortress walls and surrounding hills. "I refuse to listen to any more of your lies. You will send your tribes back to their wretched homes, and you will tell me all of the queen's plans, all that she and her agents have said to you. You will do these things, and then, perhaps, I may choose to allow you to remain among our number. Do you understand me?"

Far'am did not at first respond, but slowly his features began to harden, his jaw tightening and eyes becoming as chips of flint. "Like you, I too am of noble birth, overbold Qayl," he said coldly, "and though I am a half-blood, as you so often point out, I am worthy of your respect nonetheless. I do not take orders from you, but if you find it in yourself to recognize your follies and rashness, I will come back here and stand beside you. You have wronged me here today, but I swore an oath, and even if you do not believe it, that is a thing I will not lightly forget."

Without another word, Far'am turned on his heel to walk back toward his mount, his shoulders thrust back in pride, and for the briefest moment Zaadi watched him go. Then, in an instant, a flash of rage passed over his face, and with a snarl Zaadi leapt forward. He grabbed Far'am by his hair, and with a sharp strike to the back of his knees, sent him to the earth before him. Far'am's chest fell forward under the force of the attack, but Zaadi held firm to the half-blood noble's scalp, pulling his head back toward the sky. Panic and fear swept over Far'am's face, his arms swinging out wildly to defend himself, yet Zaadi stood unshaken, his body out of reach of the attempted clumsy counters.

With a fire burning in his gaze, Zaadi raised his eyes to all who stood around him, to the watchmen and captains of his tribes. "I am Zaadi Il'Bayyin, Lord of the Northpass, Qayl of the Saba'," he shouted at the top of his voice, "and I will not suffer traitors within my realm!" With a jerk of his left hand he pulled Far'am's face further back, turning his vision to the heavens, and Zaadi drew the long knife from his belt. "Mark these deeds well." he finished in tones of red iron, and he slit Far'am's throat, spraying the stones with pearls of ruby and corundum.

Far'am clutched at the gash, trying in vain to forestall the inevitable, and as the life slowly ebbed from his body, Zaadi kicked him forward into the dust. He then turned to a captain of the Hashidis standing nearby. "Find the verminous clans of this turncoat liar," he said, "and before the moon is full we will paint the desert with their blood."

Continue to Chapter 6 - Part I
    Last edited by Kilo11; January 15, 2020 at 04:37 AM.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Citizen

Default Re: Written in Sand (Nabataean AAR for EBII)[updated: Jan 3]

A great update Kilo. We shall spray this update with pearls of emerald and white plusses.

Campidoctor

Oh man, these were some good updates. The situation is heating up. Doubt and distrust have taken hold in the minds of the people. Perhaps uniting Arabia is not that easy, eh?
    Tharin has grown to become a very interesting character. The battle may have gone well for Mun'at, but I think his decisions after were not the wisest ones. Sparing Tharin's enemies? This might have been the final spark for this man. Mun'at's sense of honour may have just got him into some nice trouble.

Awesome interlude too. Would not have thought it would end for Far'am like that. A tragic end for this man, but an awesome end for this chapter. Great dialogue. Keep it up! We all wanna see what lies beyond the Incense Road.

Here's a little insider: no +rep for you, cause I can't.

[...] it is really important that there be a proper grounding for war, and one that makes both sides somewhat understandable, so that it is not a situation where we can just point at someone for being "evil" or something.
    But... aren't you American? The United States can totally do that!

Content Emeritus

I agree with Derc and Cookiegod, a great interlude! Sad to see Far'am go yet the rash actions of Zaadi opens up a lot of possibilities.

The line about the man who Far'am chose to stand by shows very well the difficult choice he faced. When Far'am said "... it is not what you think", I guessed that his situation was about to take a turn for the worse (which, I imagine, it what you wanted me to think). The tension between Far'am and Zaadi is very effective. This update got me thinking about what it tells is about Zaadi's character, both from Far'am's dscription of him and from his words and actions (particularly at the end).

A great update Kilo. We shall spray this update with pearls of emerald and white plusses.
    Thanks Cook! I thought you would like that one more, as it has a pretty solid balance of almost all elements one might wish for. I can only hope that the coming updates are as engaging.

Oh man, these were some good updates. The situation is heating up. Doubt and distrust have taken hold in the minds of the people. Perhaps uniting Arabia is not that easy, eh?
    Uniting Arabia has never been easy. The first (and I believe only) people to really do that were the first Muslim conquerors. And even they could only keep it together for a little over a hundred years, after which it splintered into the various successor caliphates. There are a lot of factors that led to those events, but I think the core of it is simply that tribal peoples are hard to firmly bind together, and people living in harsher environments (like the Arabian Peninsula) will be far more likely to have a tribal society, as it gives them better chances of survival (more below).

Kilo's thoughts on tribal society

A tribal society provides a heavy amount of social stratification and organization, but does so via rather stringent lines and rules. Moreover, it places an extreme emphasis on unalterable things like family-line. This makes it in some ways rigid, which can be oppressive at times, but it also makes it far more difficult to break ranks and do one's own thing. This in turn means that individuals are more easily broken to the larger group, which is necessary in environments where survival is a real challenge. This is arguably why tribal societies continued (and still continue) to exist in places with extreme climates, or places of regular conflict. In a land where it is difficult to know with certainty that you will have enough food or water, or that you will be protected from raiders, people need solid assurances of unity and cooperation. Such solid assurances are most easily and naturally built via blood-lines. Thus, you are part of a family first, clan second, tribe third. And only if the tribe is particularly well off and stable can there then be a further adherence to some larger confederacy or nation. Instead, in most cases, the tribe will have worked-out rules of interaction with all neighboring tribes, aimed mainly at preserving (semi-)peaceful relations, and some measure of cooperation for large endeavors or group activities (like facilitating trade through an extensive territory).

The large downside of tribal societies is that they are fragmentary and isolationist when times are tough. Thus, when a foreign aggressor moves against some region ruled by disparate tribes, it is easy to play one against the other, as each tribe will look out for itself before thinking about its neighbors. This is not because they are foolish or necessarily selfish, but because that is the foundational societal organization that has kept them (and their neighbors) alive for so long. Thus, it is somewhat unnatural to diverge from that, and larger more organized societies can thus profit from tribal disunity. In short, when times are tough, tribes act alone.

Tharin has grown to become a very interesting character. The battle may have gone well for Mun'at, but I think his decisions after were not the wisest ones. Sparing Tharin's enemies? This might have been the final spark for this man. Mun'at's sense of honour may have just got him into some nice trouble.
    Well, we'll see about all of that. But Tharin is indeed an interesting fellow. He's torn and hot-headed, but also has some courage and honor that is not to be idly forgotten. He will be important in things to come, and I'll not say more than that

Awesome interlude too. Would not have thought it would end for Far'am like that. A tragic end for this man, but an awesome end for this chapter. Great dialogue. Keep it up! We all wanna see what lies beyond the Incense Road.
    Thanks! I liked the interlude, and though it saddened me to have Far'am bite the dust like that, it couldn't happen any other way.

Here's a little insider: no +rep for you, cause I can't.
    Fair enough I still owe you one (or two), and I never can either

But... aren't you American? The United States can totally do that!
    Ugh. Don't get me started on the U.S. They are making me real angry right now, and I can do nothing but admit that sometimes there are indeed "bad guys". In this case, it's the folks breaking international law and starting conflicts without just cause.

I agree with Derc and Cookiegod, a great interlude! Sad to see Far'am go yet the rash actions of Zaadi opens up a lot of possibilities.
    Sorry Turk. I know you liked Far'am, and if there were a way for him to live, I think I would've taken it. However, I was just following the events and characters, and there was no other way I could see that scene panning out.

The line about the man who Far'am chose to stand by shows very well the difficult choice he faced. When Far'am said "... it is not what you think", I guessed that his situation was about to take a turn for the worse (which, I imagine, it what you wanted me to think). The tension between Far'am and Zaadi is very effective. This update got me thinking about what it tells is about Zaadi's character, both from Far'am's dscription of him and from his words and actions (particularly at the end).
    Zaadi is also interesting. He's not the best of guys, but he's definitely also not the worst, and I am hoping to develop him more fully over the coming chapters. At the very least, you'll get a lot more of him in the chapter coming up right.... NOW!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources