Thread: Help with the supply system

Default Help with the supply system

I don't understand the supply system. I truly, absolutely don't understand it.

I have a supply line that goes like this:

Gerrhos (supply pit) - Siracena (grain silo) - Samandar (me) - Rha (enemy) - Daix (me)

I rushed the conquest of Daix because I started running out of supplies and my armies were dying of attrition. That was when I realized that Rha is between Daix and Samandar.

While in Samandar, I have Supply Line (local).

While in Rha, I have Supply Line (2 regions).

While in Daix, I have no supplies, regardless of whether I control it or not (stored supplies are negative and no supply line exists).

I would think that Daix should be within range of my supplies as 3 + 1 = 4 supply range from Gerrhos. Is that incorrect?

Regardless, I cannot make heads of tails of Rha having a supply line length of 2 regions.

So, I guess I'm wondering how this should be working and whether it is working correctly.

Default Re: Help with the supply system

The supply lines use the trade route lines I think, so there might be some weird route that takes you through 2 regions there and makes Daix count as farther than it is. Just a guess, I'm not sure what's going on in this situation either.

I would think that Daix should be within range of my supplies as 3 + 1 = 4 supply range from Gerrhos. Is that incorrect?
    If I remember correctly, supply line ranges do not add up like this. So if you build a supply pit in the capital and a grain silo in an adjacent region you won't have a supply range of 4 but just 3 from the supply pit. I never had a supply line longer than 3 regions. I could be wrong, though.

Also I'm quite sure you can't have a supply line through enemy territory. Just into an adjacent enemy region.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplitus View Post
    Also I'm quite sure you can't have a supply line through enemy territory. Just into an adjacent enemy region.
    Indeed you can't.

Quote from the Supply System Manual:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...es-and-FAQ#R08

"

Supply Line overview:.
    Supply lines are an exciting new feature of the supply system. Supply lines are established from your capital or from cities with strategic depots. Supply lines pass through friendly or owned regions between the army and the supply depot.

Supply lines can can only be sustained if enough global food is available for distribution. The infrastructure needed to supply armies during campaigns is represented by logistic costs. Logistic costs rise with the distance to the nearest supply depot.

Furthermore regions on the supply line must be eligible, otherwise the supply route is blocked.

Requirements:
    a.) at least - 25 public order
    b.) no enemy army close to the settlement (blocking the supply route)
    c.) region not under siege
    d.) not an alpine region during winter*
    e.) not a desert region during summer*
    f.) region containing the strategic depot not out of local supplies.
    g.) positive global food value

"

Quote Originally Posted by Jamey View Post

Gerrhos (supply pit) - Siracena (grain silo) - Samandar (me) - Rha (enemy) - Daix (me)

Supply lines have to pass through friendly or owned regions between the army and the supply depot.

Rha is hold by the enemy and brakes the supply line.

Daix
    is to far away to be supplied even if you take Rha.

Strategic Depots are able to supply armies within a range of 3 regions
    Operational Depot are able to supply armies within a range of 1 adjacent region

Gerrhos (supply pit) - 1# Siracena - 2# Samandar - 3# Rha - 4# Daix
    Siracena (grain silo) - 1# Samandar - 2# Rha - 3# Daix
    Last edited by pawelrut; February 16, 2018 at 10:16 AM.

I don't think the amount of supply lines per building add up, 3 is the maximum I think, so if you put a smaller supply line between a building that gives +3 supply lines f.e. it serves as a backup and storage, but won't add another line, so your maximum amount of supplies would extent to Rha, not Daix.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

That's a great review, I think we can all use.
    Quote Originally Posted by pawelrut View Post
    Requirements:
    a.) at least - 25 public order
    b.) no enemy army close to the settlement (blocking the supply route)
    c.) region not under siege
    d.) not an alpine region during winter*
    e.) not a desert region during summer*
    f.) region containing the strategic depot not out of local supplies.
    g.) positive global food value

"

Is Daix the far flung Thyssagetae settlement? The OP states he has no supply there whether he controls it or not. So that's something outside the coverage/clear explanation above.

I've started a campaign with them before 1.2 and was immediately starving. Had to abandon campaign. IIRC I destroyed buildings to build food only and still suffered so much attrition (in my own region) that it was not possible to play as them and do anything (unless there's a food or money cheat code out there). It seemed like some punitive hidden condition exists there.

The nomadic factions interact in a different way with the supply system, so that might have been your issue. Or maybe just an oversight that the Thyssagetae start with negative food, because they're an AI faction usually and the AI gets a food bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    That's a great review, I think we can all use.

Is Daix the far flung Thyssagetae settlement? The OP states he has no supply there whether he controls it or not. So that's something outside the coverage/clear explanation above.

I've started a campaign with them before 1.2 and was immediately starving. Had to abandon campaign. IIRC I destroyed buildings to build food only and still suffered so much attrition (in my own region) that it was not possible to play as them and do anything (unless there's a food or money cheat code out there). It seemed like some punitive hidden condition exists there.
    Daix is the city in Scythia. It was controlled by the Roxolani when I got to it.

I had no local supply in Daix because by the time I took it, there was no supply in the region.

I think my mistakes were:

1) Not realizing that Rha and Daix are an East/West province arrangement instead of a North/South province arrangement, so I wound up 2 provinces deep and taking attrition after exhausting local supply by foraging.

2) Thinking that you could get a supply line more than one province deep in enemy territory.

3) Thinking that the supply line distance was additive. The tooltip saying "Supply Line: +1 Region(s)" fooled me.

I wound up winning the war handily because the Roxolani sent their army to reconquer Daix, completely disregarding the fact that there was no supply for them to live off of. They became almost immobile and took horrible attrition until I finally killed them off after taking Rha.

I think I mostly understand the supply system now. One other question I have is whether you can use supply lines in your own territory if you have exhausted local supply. I was taking attrition in a province where I should have been able to have a supply line at one point and don't understand why.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...es-and-FAQ#R08

I donīt think I explained it correctly. The regions in red color are out of reach for the supply line.
    The maximum supply line is 3 regions, and you can't add up building just like Dardo21 said.
    The grain silo in Siracena does not make the supply line longer by 1 region. It will only supply Siracena and Samandar. Samandar being the adjacent region to Siracena.
    But Samandar is already in the supply line of Gerrhos.
    The grain silo in Siracena will increase the amount of supplies stored in Siracena but will notincrease the reach of the supply line.
    Last edited by pawelrut; February 16, 2018 at 12:06 PM.

I just started the game so I can get a better look.
    The information you gave us was a bit wrong, so we gave you some bad advice, take a look at this picture:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Supply-lines.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	261.7 KB 
ID:	350885

The supply lines goes like this:

Gerrhos (supply pit) - 1# Samandar - 2# Rha - 3#Daix

or

Gerrhos (supply pit) - 1# Rha - 2# Daix - 3# Aktuat / 3# Xvarazam

All you need to do is take Rha.

The grain silo in Siracena does not affect the supply lines to Daix.

Hope this will help you understand how the supply system works.

The big mistake you did was taking Daix before taking Rha.
    Daix has no connection to the rest of your lands, so no supply.

You can build a supply ship and supply your army in Daix by sea or simply move your army to Rha, it will be supplied there by the supply pit from Gerrhos.
    Last edited by pawelrut; February 16, 2018 at 12:17 PM.

I just started the game so I can get a better look.
    The information you gave us was a bit wrong, so we gave you some bad advice, take a look at this picture:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Supply-lines.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	261.7 KB 
ID:	350885

The supply lines goes like this:

Gerrhos (supply pit) - 1# Samandar - 2# Rha - 3#Daix

or

Gerrhos (supply pit) - 1# Rha - 2# Daix - 3# Aktuat / 3# Xvarazam

All you need to do is take Rha.

The grain silo in Siracena does not affect the supply lines to Daix.

Hope this will help you understand how the supply system works.

The big mistake you did was taking Daix before taking Rha.
    Daix has no connection to the rest of your lands, so no supply.

You can build a supply ship and supply your army in Daix by sea or simply move your army to Rha, it will be supplied there by the supply pit from Gerrhos.
    I realize that my mistake was not taking Rha first. I thought Daix was adjacent to Samandar, as it is the closer city. Oops.

I think that your red numbers are the supply line in the game, as I was seeing "Supply Lines (2 Regions)" as the supply situation for my armies in Rha.

Thanks for helping to explain guys.

I think maybe that effect tooltip is confusing, it needs to be changed.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----