Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: GATHER THE WAR-HERDS! THE BEASTMEN COMETH!!!

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Default Re: GATHER THE WAR-HERDS! THE BEASTMEN COMETH!!!

To be fair Bretonnia is already more powerful in multiplayer than both Chaos and Dwarves. They dont have a large rooster but every single unit in it is useful in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    To be fair Bretonnia is already more powerful in multiplayer than both Chaos and Dwarves. They dont have a large rooster but every single unit in it is useful in some way.
    Their infantry is very poor. But there is few infantry units that can deal with a stack of good shock cavalry. One of the big problems in TW is and has been the importance of cavalry.

Citizen

Importance of cavalry in a medieval-themed game is a "problem" ?

At any rate the Bret inf is not bad at all for their price. Bret Peasant spam is a viable strategy. Also shock cav is not the be-all-end-all of units like it was in attila. The two rush factions VC and Orcs generally dont use cav as part of the rush but as support and anti-cav, infantry almost always does the heavy lifting.

Actually theres really no factions that go all cav. Closest would be brets but its usually no more than 50/50.

Actually theres really no factions that go all cav. Closest would be brets but its usually no more than 50/50.
    I would go all-cav with Kislev once it's playable. Perhaps with a unit or two of horse artillery

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    I gotta be honest... I'm dissapointed that you won't be able to play with middenheim in the mini campaign...
    I agree with you! Specially when the price is high like in this dlc. I have to admit I bought the DLC anyway since Im finally enjoying TW again like I used to in the old RTW and M2TW days.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Importance of cavalry in a medieval-themed game is a "problem" ?

At any rate the Bret inf is not bad at all for their price. Bret Peasant spam is a viable strategy. Also shock cav is not the be-all-end-all of units like it was in attila. The two rush factions VC and Orcs generally dont use cav as part of the rush but as support and anti-cav, infantry almost always does the heavy lifting.

As Bretonnia, I have used, effectively, 100% cav armies.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    I would go all-cav with Kislev once it's playable. Perhaps with a unit or two of horse artillery
    There is a Kislev mod on Steam made by a COW modder. I have used pure cav armies. Currently, they are the fastest cav in-game with a speed of 92. And the demigryphs have been given a texture to make them look something like bears.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

I think that I'll also be waiting until this appears in a sale. I've never enjoyed 'horde factions' either.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    As Bretonnia, I have used, effectively, 100% cav armies.
    In multi? Seems a bit counterproductive to me. Especially with all the cheap spears and demi halberds/blood knights running around. I guess it could work vs Dwarves and Orks maybe.

By the gods Beastmen are BEAST tier when it comes to killing stuff, on Leg I was able to take Etalia capital within turn 2 with the 2 demi stack you get at the start, no added units and the Balance was 99% of in the favour of the AI, so this what you do:

1) Attack the capital with no waiting for rams, just charge.

2) Bum rush the gate with you starting unit of Minotaurs, One eye and other the Hero. Micro a few on of you units close to the gate (shield Unigors are best) but not all of them.

3) Once the gate is smashed pour though your Leaders and Gors throaugh it BUT micro your Minotaurs to the OTHER gate...

4) Smash other the other gate and when you do check on the other side, if its spear men send in the units you did not send to the original gate and fight until you can make a gap, once there is a gap micro your Minotaurs behind any unit at the gate.

5) Use them to smash into the melee blob at the gate where your leaders are:

6) Turn this siege into a Murder Party:

As long as you keep them away from their hard counters the Beastmen are like Hurricane, they dont give a [Dark Tongue Insult] about anything and can kill units so fast even they have an AI buffs, the other starting armies feel lame next to these guys:

Not sure if they are OP or not but I am going to enjoy ripping apart the AI!

Citizen

Had a few matches against them in multi, seems easy enough to kill them. They are certainly not Empire or Vampire tier.

The campaign is giving me a bit of trouble though, slow replenishment and no reliable income being the worst of the problems. Also I cant find a good way to siege assault without taking massive casualties. No flying units and mediocre inf, so taking the walls is out of the question, no artillery until late game so no breaches, so basically bum rush the gates works best, but now I've learnt to hate halbadiers.

Had a few matches against them in multi, seems easy enough to kill them. They are certainly not Empire or Vampire tier.

The campaign is giving me a bit of trouble though, slow replenishment and no reliable income being the worst of the problems. Also I cant find a good way to siege assault without taking massive casualties. No flying units and mediocre inf, so taking the walls is out of the question, no artillery until late game so no breaches, so basically bum rush the gates works best, but now I've learnt to hate halbadiers.
    I wait until the dark moon dilemma hits to get a hefty boost of replenishment

r3dshift's Avatar Civis

The mini campaign seems broken.

1) The bestial rage meter does not go above 80, even though it says there's a +1 increase/turn.
    2) The same ol' running around chasing AI armies starts at around round 20. :-\ Gets tedious and boring real quick.
    3) If you auto-resolve ambush battles, the attacked party does not lose all of its units (as opposed to playing the battle).
    4) Chaos spreads ridiculously fast.

Ugh, they have 2 patches later saying they have fixed it and the AI is still sending stack after stack after any player horde that is well hidden by the fog of war...

TBH because the Empire is not using it stack not to expand but to chase after the player, it make the game in the long term much more easy as the Empire is much weaker, the EU4 AI also hacks the Fog Of War but you would never know unless someone told you...

Well, maybe your stacks were not that well hidden as you might think. I mean it's the territory of Bretonnia. When we play we are often able to see AI movement in far away provinces with no army/ agent in close proximity as the result of having some treaties with other factions. So maybe AI would be capable of the same thing, and if the Empire and Bretonnia had trade agreement, Karl Franz could see where you were.

Another thing is that I notice your stacks were not full. I always maintain full stacks, even at the cost of having to disband others, and never have much problem with AI sending armies after armies against me. It looks like AI is programmed to know your weakness and strike there.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    Well, maybe your stacks were not that well hidden as you might think. I mean it's the territory of Bretonnia. When we play we are often able to see AI movement in far away provinces with no army/ agent in close proximity as the result of having some treaties with other factions. So maybe AI would be capable of the same thing, and if the Empire and Bretonnia had trade agreement, Karl Franz could see where you were.
    There is proof that the AI is a flithy FoW hacker, they have improved it from release but when you played as Chaos pretty much every faction sent up armies into the Chaos Wastes to stop you knowing where you are, so in Update 1 they did was interesting they made it so that much fewer had "discovered" player and it highlighted the rules the AI uses, if the AI knows of the player faction then it knows everything via its palantir. That screenshot is a good example, the Empire has no allies with Bretonnia factions but knows where my forces because the at he start of the game the AI Empire is war with the Beastmen, just thank goodness hidden camps for the beastmen...

Another thing is that I notice your stacks were not full. I always maintain full stacks, even at the cost of having to disband others, and never have much problem with AI sending armies after armies against me. It looks like AI is programmed to know your weakness and strike there
    Have you played as the Beastmen? Unlike Chaos every Settlement option they get leaves it as a smouldering ruin which means so you cant farm and you should have around 20k stock pile before you build anytin higher than the building that unlock Ungors Herds, so what you have to do do is use a decoy army raiding one end of a region to bait an army, you move your main around 75% of movement point, use hidden camp if the army get to close to ether army and then strike at villages. I'll grant CA that the Beastmen play like a fun Guerrilla faction and ho needs units when you have a Gorbull that gets around an average of 150 kills per battle?
    Last edited by Grimreapo; July 30, 2016 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimreapo View Post
    Have you played as the Beastmen? Unlike Chaos every Settlement option they get leaves it as a smouldering ruin which means so you cant farm and you should have around 20k stock pile before you build anytin higher than the building that unlock Ungors Herds, so what you have to do do is use a decoy army raiding one end of a region to bait an army, you move your main around 75% of movement point, use hidden camp if the army get to close to ether army and then strike at villages. I'll grant CA that the Beastmen play like a fun Guerrilla faction and ho needs units when you have a Gorbull that gets around an average of 150 kills per battle?
    I've just finished a Beastmen long campaign today as Malagor (kind of, I forgot to recruit Khazrak, so one victory condition was still unacomplished). It was on Normal difficulty so nothing to boast about, but I felt I had much easier time compared to Chaos or Greenskins. I think the Dark Moon mechanics makes things really easy: it can provide hefty boost of either replenishment or horde growth, so I didn't have to enter encampment stance at the end of every turn.

Clocked Eye of the Gods in one afternoon, bored with Beastmen on the main campaign map already. TBH I find their gamestyle repitious and after a cpl of hours boring.

ostendadler's Avatar Miles

I started a new long campaign as the empire ( didn't buy the DLC) and the beastmen went straight for me which was new. I kicked them back several times but they didn't go and hide in the forest they just stayed around and died out. at turn 50 they got reincarnated but got their ass kicked again by the VC.

Most of my battles with them was in intercept battle stance into those new epic forests.
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

"If only all of Rome had just one neck."

"Everytime you pre-order a game, god kills a kitten"

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Minotaur charge is single best thing that ever happened in vanilla TW game ; P
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

I personally like them, Bestigors are sick and Cygors too.
    However IMO they spread a little bit too much chaos... Maybe decreasing the initial chaos influence, but adding a modifier which gets higher for the duration a horde stays in the same province.