Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: Conquest: 1066 AD - Charlemagne Mod

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Default Re: Conquest: 1066 AD - Charlemagne Mod

Ok, here are a few wip German and West Slavic units. About the same resources as last time, a few more variantmeshes from my units for TW Karling, and also a few helmets from there that I never used in my units, wich means I'll have to ask formally to have them in the release.

Jezza93's Avatar Centenarius

Those look excellent.

keen.

KEEN.

Thanks alot!
    For the Hungarian "Milites", I will have to do initially both German (as introduced by the earlier kings marriage to a german princess), and at least a little of that old equipment.
    South slavs maybe can be found in byzantine sources, for example the Dukljan cavalry serving (I believe) general George Maniakis

While clearly Charlemagne, since it is 1066, any chances of William the Conqueror showing up?

Quote Originally Posted by Caledharoch View Post
    While clearly Charlemagne, since it is 1066, any chances of William the Conqueror showing up?
    William the conquerer is basicly the mods main character, imagine Stannis Baratheon in long mail, as on bayeux.
    Harold Godwinson also will have a historical look from bayeux, red moustache, medium hair. All ca 16 factions will have historical leaders, and if possible they will have a unique historical look.

By the way, this weekend, as I finish Italian, Hungarian and Croatian rosters all factions will have rosters, nevertheless not neccesarily big ones, nor late (if such will exist) units, but all rosters will be of a playable size. So then I'll be moving on to the startpos (last one failed a bit), get someone to make unit cards, combine everything, and hopefully release that as a beta in Mid-June or later.

Hey are you going to create new unit cards?

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieZleeping View Post
    Got it, it'll be Imperium Romanum.
    That is a good choice of naming the Ottonian German Empire (the succesor of the East Frankish Empire). But only if you rename the "Byzantine" Empire as Roman Empire as well.
    Why? Because that was realy what caused the diplomatic tentions back then.
    For the record.
    Germans must not look "norman" style. They had their individual one with more "casis" style helmets and armors closer to Roman (byzantine) ones.
    Here. FliegerAD is a real historian expert in this matter.If you use his info and unit names do not forget to add him in yoru CREDITS list.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Of course the "Byzantine" Empire will be called the Roman Empire, but in Greek. Just wondering, what do you think would fit the most? "Basileia tōn Rhōmaiōn" or "Basileia Rhōmaiōn"? Both are used, but I'm not sure which one would fit the most in the era.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Why is he using face-covering coifs which only came to use during the late 12th century?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by LinusLinothorax; May 13, 2016 at 06:48 PM.

Because those coifs are NOT a 12 th century evolution.
    In fact they were Avar/steppe influence that came to Germans from Romans (byzantines) too.
    Such coifs also have been used in Italy in late 9th century by Romans , Lombards and Arabs.
    The kite shield in the west is a complicated issue.
    In fact the only flaw of our roster was that many "knights" should have round shields as well.
    That is why we have a "loricati" version with round shileds only.
    FliegerAD writes and publishes articles in MW magasine.
    This is how your German knights should look like in your mod's timeframe.
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; May 14, 2016 at 02:59 AM.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

I'll give them less Norman helmets, shure, but I don't have a perfect version of the helmet above, of the nearest Miles. I do have a similar one with leather neckpatch from a Norman or Briton scout at the bayeux tapestry. But I still have other variants of helmets as those on that ivory-roll.

Use more frequently the "spearical helmets" (casis) that you already use

I mean the light green the blue and the red ones, with/without metal rims.
    Here TGC's version of them.

You can use a version with kite shields as "upgrade" version of them.

The upgrade version can have slightly defence and anti-infantry stats from the previus one thanks to the couch_lance attack version.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Because those coifs are NOT a 12 th century evolution.
    In fact they were Avar/steppe influence that came to Germans from Romans (byzantines) too.
    Such coifs also have been used in Italy in late 9th century by Romans , Lombards and Arabs.
    Then I would like to see a primary source proving that Germans made use of them.
    Here a mid 11th century manuscript depicting royal bodyguards (Ecternach, Luxembourg):
    Last edited by LinusLinothorax; May 14, 2016 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    Then I would like to see a primary source proving that Germans made use of them.
    Here a mid 11th century manuscript depicting royal bodyguards (Ecternach, Luxembourg):
    I apologise for my mistake... Sorry you are right.
    We should make all "byzantine" troops without armors at all!
    WHY? Because of this picture:

Why we missed that?
    Have you eber thought that a Pallace Guard may not use his coif the way he would in battle?
    Just a thought.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

I apologise for my mistake... Sorry you are right.
    We should make all "byzantine" troops without armors at all!
    WHY? Because of this picture:

Why we missed that?
    Have you eber thought that a Pallace Guard may not use his coif the way he would in battle?
    Just a thought.
    The soldiers on my pic are obviously fully equipped and prepared for combat, as one can see on the fact that they all wear their armours, helmets (which btw have the very same coifs I have seen on numerous other 11th / early 12th century Central European manuscripts depicting battles), kite shields, spears and swords plus that they are depicted in duty by guarding the king in an audience.

Still waiting for the German source btw.
    Last edited by LinusLinothorax; May 14, 2016 at 09:44 AM.

I guess you have a source that full face coifs did not exist in that period in Germany.
    Can you post a link other than the picture?
    If I have to chose between your opinion and FliegerAD's about it (that is a REAL historian and writes articles in REAL history magazines) allow me to prefer his opinion than yours.
    Lets use your example picture.
    What armor do you think they wear.
    Chain hauberg or scale quirass? Any answer will have no proof. Imagine why...
    EDIT: Its your mod anyway. The final desision will be yours.
    What our team (TGC mod) had to offer is there. It up to you if you are going to use that knowlege or not.
    End of discusion.
    AnthoniusII
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; May 14, 2016 at 10:41 AM.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

I guess you have a source that full face coifs did not exist in that period in Germany.
    Can you post a link other than the picture?
    Indeed: http://manuscriptminiatures.com/sear...n=&manuscript=
    Those are over 200 manuscripts from all over Central Europe, including Germany, France, England and Italy. As one can see, mouth-covering coifs appeared first in ca. 1100 on a French manuscript, but became more popular only from 1150 onward. Nose / face-covering coifs appear first in the last decades of the 12th century, as to be seen on these German manuscripts: http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4821/10242/
    http://manuscriptminiatures.com/3916/21737/

Now its your turn to show me 11th century sources proving German or even Central European soldiers in general wearing face-covering coifs.

EDIT: Its your mod anyway. The final desision will be yours.
    What our team (TGC mod) had to offer is there. It up to you if you are going to use that knowlege or not.
    I am not a teammember, so this is entirely about the historicity of your units.

Edit: Since you quit the discussion without beeing able to provide any source I have to assume that I was right the whole time.
    Last edited by LinusLinothorax; May 15, 2016 at 07:55 AM.

I cannot wait for this mod to be released!!!!