Thread: Javelin units

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

Default Javelin units

Let me start by saying that i love the new eb2 everything looks absolutely amazing - but, i have a gripe that is seriously affecting my play.

Javelin units/missile units animations - excellent very well done looks authentic, but the problem i have, is after they fire, they 'shift' forward after they throw. this is a major problem for my play-style as im a big fan of rigid lines, and exacting tactics and as such i generally like to keep my javs behind say a pike line with archer behind them with support on the flanks. BUT - the javs after they throw keep moving forward, i have to micro them to keep them from going through my pike lines and getting in a fight with the enemy.

Unfortunately even though this doesn't sound like much its seriously stopping me from launching the game much, i use javs a lot and they are a normal for my armies as well as archers.

Is there anyway, i can remove these animations and revert to default? Dont get me wrong they are very well done its just that 'nudge' forward after every voley that bothers me - and as i said little as it sounds its really bugging me a lot.

Thanks for the amazing mod, and sorry to bug you with such trivialities (kull )
    Originally Posted by Garbarsardar
    R2 is a deeply flawed, partially completed, hastily assembled, sub-par product.

Default Re: Javelin units

bump

TheMacchiavelli's Avatar Libertus

I also think this is a problem and also that skirmisher javelin units have a very slow firing rate, unlike rome total war. And the damage from those javelin skirmishers seems almost non-existent.

yeah I agree with the slow firing rate, it takes ages to fire two voleys... While in reality I dont think it would be that slow to throw two javelins
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!

This has already been discussed at length in a number of other threads, Moros said elsewhere it's something being looked at.

TheMacchiavelli's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    This has already been discussed at length in a number of other threads, Moros said elsewhere it's something being looked at.
    Are you talking about moving after throwing pila or slow firing rates/negligible damage?

Senator

Are you talking about moving after throwing pila or slow firing rates/negligible damage?
    The moving is actually realisitic throwing a javelin isn't really easy when standing still,but I think the damage and firing rates will be adjusted.
    Last edited by Sint; August 29, 2014 at 12:44 PM.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

the actual skirmisher units don't move forward when firing their javelins, the running forward happens with the units that throw javelins before charging.

is this intentional? ^

I checked for how many kills my Sweboz javelin units had after battle: 0

That's not good after throwing so many javelins.

If this is the same for all skirmish units in EB2 then there is something wrong in the game mechanics.

I made a little submod to fix this. For some reason a mod will have to allow my thread about it first though.

The moving is actually realisitic throwing a javelin isn't really easy when standing still,but I think the damage and firing rates will be adjusted.
    Please read op i seem to have trouble with these units' shifting forward after firing not in the historical accuracy or beatification of the animation itself.

is after they fire, they 'shift' forward after they throw
    secondly

yuri2045
    the actual skirmisher units don't move forward when firing their javelins, the running forward happens with the units that throw javelins before charging.
    This is simply untrue, they perform that animation while standing still with guard mode mode and fire at will on, with no further orders given.

The point of the op is not the animation and whether its accurate or not or beautiful or not etc etc etc (even though it is on both points) but how to revert this animation back to default or a way to stop the shifting forward after every volley as im experiencing my my games. It is not a discussion on damage rates etc etc or any of the previous points i have said, if you wish to discuss those points there are other threads for doing so.

QuintusSertorius

And finally im not talking about infantry units who throw pila but dedicated javelin units who's sole purpose is to throw, such as those ones found in Greece and though i haven't checked this problem with velites its those kind of units im talking about, and again not infantry units who can throw something (such as legionaries)

So back to the Op, is there a way to revert to default on this animation?
    Last edited by Ultra123; August 29, 2014 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra123 View Post
    And finally im not talking about infantry units who throw pila but dedicated javelin units who's sole purpose is to throw, such as those ones found in Greece and though i haven't checked this problem with velites its those kind of units im talking about, and again not infantry units who can throw something (such as legionaries)
    I'm talking about dedicated skirmishers too, they're the ones who seem to have a problem with not throwing their weapons.

However, the primary issue relates to formation and range (which can be fixed with an EDU change, such as in this submod), rather than animation.