Thread: Massive Forum changes caused by a minor Membership base

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Massive Forum changes caused by a minor Membership base

Like the title?

Anyhow I just wondered what other people thought about these two decisions:
    that have been passed, not in terms of if they support or not, but the fact that 20 and 27 people respectively have been (will be) the causes for rather large forum changes - changes that will affect easily loads more people than the 20 and 27 people that voted in these proposals, which net will be even less because some people will have voted in both. It just seems so out of proportions to me. I mean giving medals, awarding Citizenship and stuff is all fine with those sort of numbers, because most the time it isn't really changing that much, but with stuff like this...

Kind of seeing the benefit of letting non-Citizens voting in Curia polls... (not elections though )

of course this all assumes Hex doesn't do the veto
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Massive Forum changes caused by a minor Membership base

Well, it may be advisable for the advisory body to advise themselves, when it comes to advising HEX with regards to site-wide advises, to advise as many possible partaking advisers to actually partake in the process of advising as possible, if advisable that is.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

That is sage advice Aik

Given the general inactivity in the Curial Com I'd say that's the number of people who are actively interested in site changes and the rest just don't care whatever happens. Or, if they do, hopefully this will drive them to be more active in the Curia/contribute more and apply.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; August 10, 2014 at 04:10 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    Well, it may be advisable for the advisory body to advise themselves, when it comes to advising HEX with regards to site-wide advises, to advise as many possible partaking advisers to actually partake in the process of advising as possible, if advisable that is.
    And you always ask for a Mega dictionary.

I think I got you though.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

I don't think there's any problem. Those are both just advice given to Hex. The decision doesn't cause any change, it can only cause the administrators to look at the advice given. Hex don't have to act on it and any site-wide changes are ultimately their prerogative.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

What Genius said. I didn't expect my proposal to just be rubber stamped and implemented, it's more complicated than that. I proposed it to start the conversation necessary in Hex to decide whether or not they think it's a good change to make. I'd rather ideas for improving the layout of the site be aired and deemed not to be improvements, than never be aired at all for fear of upsetting the status quo.

Citizen

Blog Entries

*(of course this all assumes Hex doesn't do the veto )

But yeah I get what you are saying, it is just a recommendation at the end of the day and I'm sure something like this will be discussed more and stuff in the secret places of the site.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

I confess that I thought that they were not very relevant (at least for me) administrative changes.
    And Hexes. They have the power. In some cases I think we are just a few dozens of individuals thinking we are doing something moderately important. But I am having a bad August, nevermind.
    Last edited by mishkin; August 12, 2014 at 10:04 AM.

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    I confess that I thought that they were not very relevant (at least for me) administrative changes.
    And Hexes. They have the power. In some cases I think we are just a few dozens of individuals thinking we are doing something moderately important. But I am having a bad August, nevermind.
    Well you guys are important in suggesting new ideas my friend. Hex quite rightly is the sole decider of what it wishes to do and how the site is run. The curia doesn't and shouldn't have any real say in that aspect. But the curia is good for getting suggestions- it's always good to have ideas thrown out and a platform to do it from. Though i agree that the Curia should be thrown open to the member-base at large for votes such as these (Or indeed all aspects). The curia is just a suggestions platform after all when looking at the reality, thus the more perspectives and ideas the better, so i rather agree with shankbot here.
    House of Caesars: Under the Patronage of Char Aznable

Proud Patron of the roguishly suave Gatsby

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Von Hespburg View Post
    Well you guys are important in suggesting new ideas my friend. Hex quite rightly is the sole decider of what it wishes to do and how the site is run. The curia doesn't and shouldn't have any real say in that aspect. But the curia is good for getting suggestions- it's always good to have ideas thrown out and a platform to do it from. Though i agree that the Curia should be thrown open to the member-base at large for votes such as these (Or indeed all aspects). The curia is just a suggestions platform after all when looking at the reality, thus the more perspectives and ideas the better, so i rather agree with shankbot here.
    I listened and have dusted off an old proposal of mine to open up the proth.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Von Hespburg View Post
    I am rather enjoying the irony of this thread. I suggested that the membership at large and it was summarily shot down namely because non- citizens are not trustworthy enough. Now, site wide changes (considerately more important) is so important that the whole site should vote for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    I listened and have dusted off an old proposal of mine to open up the proth.
    Good man Squid! I like this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    I am rather enjoying the irony of this thread. I suggested that the membership at large and it was summarily shot down namely because non- citizens are not trustworthy enough. Now, site wide changes (considerately more important) is so important that the whole site should vote for it.
    Ahh you see, there's your problem pikestance, you clearly never had love-able old me comment on it . But seriously i jest of course. I'm afraid i don't really engage here much myself, but it makes complete sense for the site at large to be able to have a real voice, as at the end of the day, the Curia is just another platform for getting site ideas up and out. So why should your average member have that medium disallowed for them, and instead have to use pm or the questions and suggestions- open up the Curia! So good suggestion in the past, and we'll get it done soon hopefully from what squid is saying.

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

Why not welcome the change, if people were that concerned about the change don't you think they would have intervened. Just beacuse the so called "minor Membership base" have actually stepped forward and are trying something doesn't mean that it is necessarily wrong.

I wonder what stops people from going into the Forum Magnum, start a debate and then launch a poll to make any sugestion to improve the site, which is what Forum Magnum is about and it was open not long a ago for.

Forum Magnum

A place for Citizens and other members to propose ideas for the betterment of the site.

Partly because hardly anyone knows where the Forum Magnum is, what it's for and what it does my friend. I've been here quite some time and wasn't even aware there was such a place. The Q+S and the Curia on the other hand are quite clear as places to propose stuff.

Blog Entries

You know how the saying goes: two (Q&S, Curia) is a company, three (FM) is a crowd.

Poor FM

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

It became open when last year? maybe a promotion of the Forum would be a wiser measure if there is a real interest by the full members to improve the site. Now it is more active with a task for full members and citizens, I opened there a proposal, and early this year there was a debate about Rome II forums design proposed by a full member. I liked this debate, not because of what was proposed, but for the implication of full members administrators and citizens in it. In the FM we are all at the same level.

And as I have said this in relation to the matter I quote myself, so I can be in two places at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post

And don't you think it is a bit cruel or just cruel to let someone make a proposal that cannot vote? maybe this proposals could be voted (and debated) in the Forum Mangum if decided so by the CVRIA.

Why not delegate the decision process to the Forum Magnum when proposed so with the rest of the change and decided so by a preliminary poll or minimun number of supporting citizens about this particular point of the proposal?
    Last edited by Bethencourt; August 13, 2014 at 02:31 PM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

The FM was already open when I joined, if memory serves.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Blog Entries

The FM main was opened to all full members in December '12.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post

Forum Magnum

A place for Citizens and other members to propose ideas for the betterment of the site.
    Not many people really care about the betterment of the site. For the vast majority of posters here at TWC, betterment simply means login in without seeing any 500 errors.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius