Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

I just saw it. Thought it was really good. My only complaints:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I thought the Starkiller base was rather unnecessary. It's whole story was really just in the background during the entire film. They should have saved that for another movie where maybe the plot could have revolved more around that. It didn't even seem like the characters were that concerned with it. The rebels were ****ting bricks about the last one, where this one they were just like, "*sigh* Time to go back to work." Everything that happened on the Star Killer could have just as easily taken place on some random New Order military base. I thought it would have been much better if instead of going to the Star Killer to turn off the shields; they go to "Random Military base" to save Rey because they know she's seen the map where Luke is and they know for a fact from that Poe dude, that Kylo Ren can extract information.

Honestly, I felt like they took this grandiose weapon and just sort of wasted it story-wise. And the part where Captain Phasm just up and lowered the shields just was...stupid. I mean, it really showed how little the Star Killer base meant to the story. It was all in the background for me though, so I don't think any of it really affected the overall great story. I thought Adam Driver killed it as Kylo Ren too. Dude played a bad ass psycho! Liked Rey and Finn as well, think they'l make great additions to the story and i'm eager for the next one to come out.

maxi90's Avatar Campidoctor

I went to see the movie this past sunday and I have to say I am deeply dissapointed.

The first 20 minutes or so were awesome, but the endless action scenes that kept happening one after the other got old really soon for me. When they go into space for the first time, thatīs when the movie kinda lost me. I am to lazy to go into details, but I think we all can agree that what happens then is both dumb and pointless. And the movie had me really exited to go see it, and the first act earned it some good faith, but it all goes to hell pretty quickly.

Scenes come and go without much impact. Characters explain point blank to the camera what their deal is. Things happen because they have to exist to move the plot foward, instead of being an organic transition. It all boils down to a very standard blockbuster. If this wasnīt called Star Wars, nobody would give a damn.

And whatīs funny is, they went to such pains to recreate the aesthetic and feel of the OT. Run-down enviroments, puppets galore instead of CGI monsters, retro equipment, and an emphasis on the spiritual side of the force instead that biological nonsense, which is the one element of the story that I really like, actualy.

Itīs like they tried to do the opposite of the prequels in all the more supperfluous ways.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by maxi90 View Post
    but I think we all can agree that what happens then is both dumb and pointless.
    I don't think we can all agree with that at all.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    Why did you leave the best part of his quote out? "I'm too lazy to go into details..." LOL!

I went to see the movie this past sunday and I have to say I am deeply dissapointed.

The first 20 minutes or so were awesome, but the endless action scenes that kept happening one after the other got old really soon for me. When they go into space for the first time, thatīs when the movie kinda lost me. I am to lazy to go into details, but I think we all can agree that what happens then is both dumb and pointless. And the movie had me really exited to go see it, and the first act earned it some good faith, but it all goes to hell pretty quickly.

Scenes come and go without much impact. Characters explain point blank to the camera what their deal is. Things happen because they have to exist to move the plot foward, instead of being an organic transition. It all boils down to a very standard blockbuster. If this wasnīt called Star Wars, nobody would give a damn.

And whatīs funny is, they went to such pains to recreate the aesthetic and feel of the OT. Run-down enviroments, puppets galore instead of CGI monsters, retro equipment, and an emphasis on the spiritual side of the force instead that biological nonsense, which is the one element of the story that I really like, actualy.

Itīs like they tried to do the opposite of the prequels in all the more supperfluous ways.
    I discovered I don't like Star Wars so screw it.
    Hey dude I fixed your post for you.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Honestly my biggest issue is that I saw all of this coming. Literally all of these things I called, me. I'm either that good or this movie was too predictable. I even called some of the most specific of details.

I was watching one of the trailers and I saw Death Star 3 and then I saw the huge trench in the snow and the X -Wings and I was like motherers! they combined Yavin battle with Hoth battle didn't they.
    Also the fake out with Kylo Ren and Han Solo making it look like Kylo Ren wasn't going to kill Han, and then he just does it, I totally saw that coming.
    It became so much more apparent when you watch they movie and they have so many fake out death scenes with Poe, Chewie, Finn and then I saw Han was like "oh... oh ... I know where this is going". And then the scene actually happened the way I thought it would with Kylo Ren seemingly holding back and then blam Han is ing dead.

Oh also were there only X - Wings during that attack scene? I don't remember seeing Y - Wing or A - Wing support squadrons.
    The only thing I didn't call was that Finn was actually a Storm trooper, I thought it was a reference to the Storm trooper disguises.
    There was also the part where Luke was pretty much just in a dream sequence, I thought there would be a legit Kylo vs Luke showdown where Luke would basically stomp all over Kylo Ren

But I felt like Captain Phasma and Princess Leiah didn't do nearly enough. Not that sore about Luke on the sidelines cause obviously he will be in the next movie and knowing our luck will probably get offed as well. Max von Sydow seemed wasted in this as well. Wondering if Bobba Fett will come back, he hasn't been seen on any book or comic now so that either means that he's staying dead or that he's making a surprise reappearance. But in a lot of ways Captain Phasma is basically the Bobba Fett of this trilogy.
    On Captain Phasma:

Captain Phasma was ****ing lame. Sure great costume, but super lame character. You just point a gun to her head and she turns the Star Killer base's greatest defense off???? Maybe I missed something, but she didn't really seem to do anything at all. She was just sort of there as a shiny cool looking character who was really the weakest link considering she was in charge of the moron storm troopers and the traitor, and ended up being the person who lowered the shield. I mean, if anyone is a traitor it's her. I thought I read some where that Captain Phasm was one of JJ Abrams favorite characters, so I had high hopes on her and was completely let down.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

I really cant understand people complaining about the simple scriptwriting in the force awakens. Star Wars movies never had any complex plots to begin with. The one time they tried to do it with the whole senate politics they failed badly.

And I will even add that a complex plot has nothing to do with a movie being good or not. One clear example which pleased most of the fans is the new Mad MAx movie. The plot couldnt be more simple yet the movie was just great.

It is almost as people are trying to give way to their anger but in the wrong movie.
    The most interesting is to read comments by the same people praising episodes I, II and III. It is almost as if people did not want to be taken seriously or maybe are just actually trolling.

The force awakens is just a great experience and it is as good as the original trilogy.

I watched movie and with all the hype i have expected better story, bit more originality, some better written/developed characters and moments, although i am glad they went for more practical effects , and feeling of the original trilogy, to me it doesn't inspire same magical wow moments other than bit of nostalgy.
    In my opinion movie is 6-7 out of 10. and I would place it behind all movies from episode 4-6, and though i don't agree with all of it i will post funny review from imdb:

Author: sonofhades

Sad but true. When the opening credits filled the screen (Episode VII... blah blah) I was already grinding my teeth because the plot sounded idiotic. Then the huge star destroyer filled the screen. The fun bit is that the star destroyer had some sort of antenna or whatever at the front and it looked liked the ship was showing the middle finger towards the viewers.

I have to congratulate the film makers as that was pretty much how the film worked from that point forward.

1) A droid has important information that must be delivered to the good guys (Episode IV, anyone?)

2) so the bad guys hunt for the droid on a desert planet (IV)

3) Storm troopers raid a village, killing everyone (IV)

4) A girl is captured by the bad guys and the good guys rush to the base to the rescue. (IV)

5) The girl and the boy have a friend zone relationship through the film (Ep IV, Luke & Leia, wouldn't be surprised to learn that they are siblings in Episode IX)

6) The stormtroopers, elite soldiers of the bad guys, still can't hit a barn door. On the other hand, the good guys always hit, even when they use a weapon for the first time in their life

7) Supreme Leader Snoke = Emperor with a silly name

8) The bad guys have a magnificent new weapon that can destroy planets (Ep IV)

9) They use it to destroy a planet loyal to the rebels (IV)

10) The weapon has shields that can be destroyed by going down on the planet and disabling the shield generator (VI)

11) The epic villain wears a mask that distorts his voice (IV) and sadly, looks better with the mask on than without it.

12) The good guys can only destroy the weapon with an attack by X-Wings on the exact target (IV)

13) The X-Wings have to fly in a tight trench in order to reach their target (IV)

The screen writers had absolutely no new ideas to show for their money. A bunch of monkeys could have written better dialogue. A 1st grader could have made a plot that had less holes in it. The special effects were pretty much of the same quality as in the first Star Wars movie that was released 1977. I'd expect something way better in 2015.

Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Just saw it. It was pretty good. A bit too similar to the original triology at times but the new characters breathes some fresh life into it. I would have liked a bit more politics though. Not prequel levels but at least some basic exposition on the role and realtionship of the Republic contra new order. But the movie was very character centric so it was not a big gripe.

I liked all the new characters, particularly the leads did a good job. Brienne the silver Stormtrooper was underwhelming to say the least.

The stormies was slightly less useless than they usually are. Which has always been a pet peeve of mine against star wars so that was good.
    Last edited by Påsan; December 23, 2015 at 02:34 PM.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I'm not entirely sure where the entire "the dialogue is bad" and "The characters are bad" complaints are coming from. I can understand ones about there being a few too many callbacks (but honestly only the Chessboard and Kessel Run ones really bothered me. All the other ones didn't feel shoehorned in or anything. As well, I do wish there was a bit more exposition regarding the background of the New Republic, The First Order, and the Resistence and their roles in the galaxy (I ended up figuring out that the New Republic was secretly funding and supplying the Resistance, and that the Resistance was against the First Order, but I know a bunch of people did not).

I felt the characters were likable right off the bat, and had a good sense of character development, and are set up well for the next movie. Kylo Ren is probably my favorite villian (aside from Tarkin) in the entire series. I love how he's the exact opposite of Vader - instead of cold and calculating, he has no control over his emotions and is basically young Anakin done right. He's set up well for the rest of the trilogy as well, and I can definitely see him going in a few different directions. Boyega and Ridley had great on screen chemistry as well, and their characters were great. Finn especially, and I really do like how their friendship has started to unfold.

And the dialogue is basically the same as it was in the Original Trilogy. I never truly realized how funny and witty most of the dialogue in the OT was until I got to see them in theaters last week. Sitting there with a bunch of other Star Wars fans laughing our butts off at all the funny dialogue in the OT. And that dialogue is funny because its written to be funny, witty banter and all. The closest the prequels came in that regard was the start of Episode III, with the entire Invisible Hand portion of the movie. Seeing the Force Awakens right after that experience, truly made it feel like it's a Star Wars movie and showed up its strengths a lot. It felt exactly like the OT in that regard, and that's something I truly appreciate. I do wish Phasma had some more screentime, but she's signed on for Episode VIII so we'll see what's done with her then.

Even Mike Stoklasa, of RedLetterMedia, who was long video reviews of each of the prequels and why they're bad, said that he loved The Force Awakens. Without a hint of irony in his voice, Mike said he loved it. That to me speaks volumes about the film, the fact that a man who deconstructed the Prequels so much, fell in love with this one.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Just watched it. First impressions (which may change when/if I see it a second time):

First of all, I have to say that I am NOT a Star Wars fan. I have only seen the 6 movies for the first time ever in this last year, and I wasn't blown away by them. "A New Hope" was O.K, and full of promise, but also very predictable, and generic, and full of little flaws which drag it down. "Empire Strikes Back" was really great, and is by far my favorite, but it didn't BLOW ME AWAY, or anything like that. Just a great, very entertaining film, no more, no less. "Return of the Jedi" wasn't BAD, but it was very disappointing after the great promises of "Empire". And the prequels, of course, are horse-crap.

So, I was never going to love "The Force Awakens" the way life-long fans do. That said... It really is a very good film. It's nowhere near perfect, and "Empire" is still my favorite movie of the bunch, but this was a good return to form for the franchise. Kinda like "First Class" was for the X-Men franchise.

The Good:

- The problems that destroyed the prequels are all gone - No terrible dialogue, not terrible acting, no terrible story, no terrible CGI, etc...
    - The lightsaber fights are better than ever. I mean, from a story standpoint they weren't as impressive as they were in "Empire", but in terms of the choreography, and mood, and effects, and all those other technical stuff, they were just perfect. Not as ridiculously over-the-top as they were in the prequels, and not as technically-limited as they were in the originals.
    - Actually, the action all across the movie was just fantastic. The space-battles, the use of the Force, The various chases, it's all great.
    - The new characters are all good. Not GREAT, mind you, but they're all good, and they all show a lot of potential.
    - BB8 is adorable.
    - Chewie is adorable.
    - Han was pretty great. Especially considering how old he was.
    - I liked that Rey ended up being the one with the Force. The reveal could have been better, but I liked the overall story decision.
    - There's probably a bunch of other good stuff, but I can't think of them right now, and anyway, talking about the bad stuff is way more fun. Still, I must stress - This is a GOOD movie. None of these following flaws is fatal.

The Bad:

- I have nothing against the idea of Han and Leia's son going bad, but I think the movie really rushed this story. During the big confrontation between Han and Kylo Ren, I just didn't feel as invested as I should have been. The movie should have done something to establish the history between Kylo and Han before that confrontation, to make us really care about it. I think a flashback would have gotten the job done. As it is, the climactic scene of the film lacked a lot of punch. Also, Kylo Ren ends up feeling a little like a silly, spoiled child, because we never know what drove him to his dark turn, and that's bad for a main villain.
    - The Han/Leia scenes felt a little too nostalgic and cheesy. Again, this might just be because I'm not as invested as other people are in these characters, but still. I didn't feel their connection.
    - The friendship between the various characters seemed to grow a bit too fast. These people started acting like best friends way too soon, and it felt a little fake, sometimes.
    - I'm not completely sold on Finn's character. I thought he was going to be the brooding, conflicted hero at first, but then he became a sort of goofy comic-relief, and near the end it seemed like he was being hero-ified again, and I just don't really know what to think of him. Maybe a rewatch would fix this problem.
    - Rey's past should have been clarified a little more. It's hard to care about a character when so much of her motivation is tied to something we never see/know in the movie.
    - I liked the latino-pilot-guy quite a lot, and he should have been used more.
    - Captain Phasma is the most underused character I've seen in a long time. Why even introduce her here if she does NOTHING?
    - The guy who plays Kylo Ren isn't BAD, but he never really impressed me.
    - The good guys get 2 of their victories WAY too easily - the destruction of the death star (Starkiller, whatever), and Kylo Ren's defeat by Rey. It didn't feel earned, and it really takes the shine off the final battle.
    - The fact that Kylo Ren was defeated so easily here by Rey means that he wouldn't be very threatening in the next films. His final battle with Rey should have ended in a more stalemate-like conclusion.
    - Overall, the film should have had more character exploration and interaction, and a little less action.
    - I felt disappointed that we only got 1 short scene with Luke. Not that I had some great desire to see him, but the film set that up as the main goal from the very beginning, and it ended up feeling like ticket-bait.

The Ugly:

- Hate to be all superficial, but why was Kylo Ren so ugly? It was pretty distracting. And the guy had good genes from Han and Leia, so, what the hell?
    Last edited by Your Lame Sister; December 23, 2015 at 04:31 PM.

Citizen

I rewatched the old trilogy last week, and Empire is the only one I consider really good as a movie. The fourth is okay and the sixth varies between awesome moments and absolute crap moments, which makes for a very uneven movie, great conclusion though.

I dont know where I'd put Force Awakens yet. Just saw it so need to give it some time. Its going to be 1 or 2 though.
    Last edited by Påsan; December 23, 2015 at 03:41 PM.

Hey dude I fixed your post for you.
    Let me guess, you were one of those people who loved The Phantom Menace when it first came out, and sent angry letters to the critics who didnīt like it so much, right?

Come back in three of four years and tell me this movie is as good as everyone is talking it up to be, will you?

Why did you leave the best part of his quote out? "I'm too lazy to go into details..." LOL!

Fair enough:

I am talking about the moment when Han Solo just finds them drifting in the middle of outer space. He JUST SO HAPPENS to be passing by in the middle of nowhere, not going at lightspeed may I ad, and so he stumbles on them fixing the ship. There was no good reason to have him introduced in such a clumsy way. There is just no excuse. It is awful. No foreshadowing, no explanation. He just pops up when the plot demands it.

And for all the smart marketing this movie had, with the plot pretty much kept a secret until realese date, this specific moment was on every trailer, so itīs not even close to being the surprise the director wanted it to be. It was all just too predictable.

Like the rest of the movie.

Citizen

Dude.. they say specifically that finding them was not an accident. They blopped into the radar the moment they entered space.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Dude.. they say specifically that finding them was not an accident. They blopped into the radar the moment they entered space.
    Not only that, they said they had been looking for the Falcon for a while.

oh, and Your Lame Sister, I'd spoiler tag much of that stuff if I were you
    Last edited by IlluminatiRex; December 23, 2015 at 04:31 PM.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    oh, and Your Lame Sister, I'd spoiler tag much of that stuff if I were you
    My bad, sorry about that.
    "Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live." - Mark Twain

"I am against nature. I don't dig nature at all. I think nature is very unnatural. I think the truly natural things are dreams, which nature can't touch with decay." - Bob Dylan

"Faith in God means believing, absolutely, in something with no proof whatsoever. Faith in humanity means believing, absolutely, in something with a huge amount of proof to the contrary. WE are the true believers." - Joss Whedon

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    On what radar do they blopped, exactly? Do they have a tracker on the ship? Because if not, thatīs just a lazy way to cover up a huge plot hole because none of the other movies has such a technology where you can scan the entire freaking galaxy for one specific ship.

Hell, in empire they hide form an entire fleet by just landing on the side of a ship and waiting it out. Kinda funny how those radars arenīt working then.

edit: And them "looking for the Falcon fow a while" doesnīt explain anything...

Of course they would be looking for the Falcon, but they where in the middle of doing something completly different and then just happen to run into it in the gigantic void of space.

I am not particulary against them just bumping into Han Solo, but you need to give him a reason to be there. Like, maybe they tracked the Falcon all the way to Jakku and were getting ready to take it back when Rey and Finn steal it first. That would be more reasonable, even ifit would still be the seventh coinsidence to happen to move the plot foward.
    Last edited by maxi90; December 23, 2015 at 05:11 PM.

Let me guess, you were one of those people who loved The Phantom Menace when it first came out, and sent angry letters to the critics who didnīt like it so much, right?
    No your post just really sucked. More like a crying eight year old who had their toy taken away from them than anything. I've got a lot of things I hate about the PT, and I pretty much keep it logged away for encyclopedia moments in canon discussions. Your point? That you can't write a post properly? Ok, I'll accept that.

On what radar do they blopped, exactly? Do they have a tracker on the ship? Because if not, thatīs just a lazy way to cover up a huge plot hole because none of the other movies has such a technology where you can scan the entire freaking galaxy for one specific ship.

Hell, in empire they hide form an entire fleet by just landing on the side of a ship and waiting it out. Kinda funny how those radars arenīt working then.

edit: And them "looking for the Falcon fow a while" doesnīt explain anything...
    In TESB they fake their death in the middle of a dogfight. The only one not fooled is the bounty hunter because it's the kind of trick he'd pull. They then act like space garbage. Then they're looking for the specific profile of the Falcon for YEARS through the galaxy. THIRTY YEARS. Yea. That takes a short time am I right? Right. Nah, that might take a while. When it takes off they're lucky to be in the right place, but sure as hell, it's not the first time it's happened in this series. Make no mistake, everything that's happened, completely internally consistent with the series. You sir, can get the hell over it.
    Last edited by Gaidin; December 23, 2015 at 06:12 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    No your post just really sucked. I've got a lot of things I hate about the PT, and I pretty much keep it logged away for encyclopedia moments in canon discussions. Your point?
    Pretty much that the reaction to that movie when it first came out was exactly like this. Everyone falling head over heels, critics giving overwhelmingly positive reviews, etc.

Basically people leting themselves get swept away by nostalgia and being in denial about how bad it really was, and ganging up against anyone who pointed its many flaws.

Now, I am not saying this movie is as bad as The Phantom Menace, but, well, like I said. Give it a year or two and then letīs see what everyone is saying about this movie.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Rarely does any big blockbuster live up to its hype. This film did a decent job of it at the least.